collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 06:24:27 AM]

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by tower912
[Today at 06:21:27 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: College Football is back  (Read 129200 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: College Football is back
« Reply #725 on: December 28, 2019, 05:38:06 PM »
Bowl games are great for gamblers.  Mostly to chase the dragon

Heard a theory the other day that if you bet every under dog in bowl games you will come out ahead sizably ahead.  No idea if true, haven’t validated it....was regurgitated on one of the betting shows.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #726 on: December 28, 2019, 05:39:06 PM »
Wow, I don't ever remember a team getting blown out this bad in the 1st half of a Final Four game.  Ever.  Nope, I don't have any recollection.

Because Oklahoma doesn’t belong here....would Alabama be losing this badly to LSU?  Not a chance.

Oregon whooped up on FSU a few years ago, but cannot remember halftime score.  MSU and OSU also got blown out a few years ago, both shut out....but games were closer at half if I recall.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 05:42:17 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #727 on: December 28, 2019, 05:47:28 PM »
You see, I was trying to jokingly reference a certain Final Four game from a different sport that posters on an MU basketball site may have some connection to. 

I honestly couldn't care less who wins college football games as long as they don't play 75 miles west of me

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #728 on: December 28, 2019, 05:49:21 PM »
You see, I was trying to jokingly reference a certain Final Four game from a different sport that posters on an MU basketball site may have some connection to. 

I honestly couldn't care less who wins college football games as long as they don't play 75 miles west of me

Anyone who didn’t get that doesn’t deserve to have it explained to them. It was pretty clear...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #729 on: December 28, 2019, 05:50:34 PM »
Because Oklahoma doesn’t belong here....would Alabama be losing this badly to LSU?  Not a chance.

Oregon whooped up on FSU a few years ago, but cannot remember halftime score.  MSU and OSU also got blown out a few years ago, both shut out....but games were closer at half if I recall.

A 2 loss, Tua-less, 2nd place in the division team was more deserving than the B12 Champion? Lol.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #730 on: December 28, 2019, 05:55:00 PM »
A 2 loss, Tua-less, 2nd place in the division team was more deserving than the B12 Champion? Lol.

LOL indeed.  Tell me, would Bama play better against LSU or Oklahoma?  I didn’t realize the Big 12 champion was better automatically than a SEC team who barely lost two games.

I remember a bunch of idiots saying that years ago...that 2 loss team was LSU and they won the national title.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #731 on: December 28, 2019, 06:03:05 PM »
LOL indeed.  Tell me, would Bama play better against LSU or Oklahoma?  I didn’t realize the Big 12 champion was better automatically than a SEC team who barely lost two games.

I remember a bunch of idiots saying that years ago...that 2 loss team was LSU and they won the national title.

So you would do things based on how things went in the bowl games? The games that haven’t been played yet? Given that you make your predictions for games after the games actually happen, that makes sense. Unfortunately they have to make these decisions before the games are actually played. There was literally no debate about who was getting into the CFP this year. None whatsoever.

And good comp. 2 loss LSU getting their shot was such a travesty given that the other teams in contention were...2 loss Oklahoma, 2 loss Georgia, 2 loss Virginia Tech, 2 loss USC, or 2 loss Missouri. Lol.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #732 on: December 28, 2019, 06:17:09 PM »
So you would do things based on how things went in the bowl games? The games that haven’t been played yet? Given that you make your predictions for games after the games actually happen, that makes sense. Unfortunately they have to make these decisions before the games are actually played. There was literally no debate about who was getting into the CFP this year. None whatsoever.

And good comp. 2 loss LSU getting their shot was such a travesty given that the other teams in contention were...2 loss Oklahoma, 2 loss Georgia, 2 loss Virginia Tech, 2 loss USC, or 2 loss Missouri. Lol.

I would do what I said years ago when this whole thing started....an 8 team playoff...4 teams is too shallow and sets up faux cases of champions from a decent, but not great league...with 8 teams you don’t have to worry about it.  That takes care of the UCF’s of the world, it takes care of 2 or 3 schools from one great conference.  Even your beloved Badgers get a shot at that one, P.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #733 on: December 28, 2019, 06:39:19 PM »
I would do what I said years ago when this whole thing started....an 8 team playoff...4 teams is too shallow and sets up faux cases of champions from a decent, but not great league...with 8 teams you don’t have to worry about it.  That takes care of the UCF’s of the world, it takes care of 2 or 3 schools from one great conference.  Even your beloved Badgers get a shot at that one, P.

Good dodge.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #734 on: December 28, 2019, 06:46:27 PM »
They just now showed a graphic about how none of the head coaches in this final 4 was the kind of big-name, already-established hire that fans of all teams in major college and pro sports always want their favorite team to get.

Each had the kind of background that most Marquette coaches over the years have had.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #735 on: December 28, 2019, 07:02:36 PM »

Not sure if they were more deserving, but doubt they'd get steamrolled like that.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #736 on: December 28, 2019, 07:50:01 PM »
Good dodge.

The noise about how unfair it was that 2 loss LSU got to go was plenty loud, which was my point.  Alabama, when they care, plays defense.  I don't know if they will give a damn in their bowl game this year, but in the CFP and regular season they do.  Oklahoma, quite frankly, isn't capable of it which is why they got rolled tonight to very little surprise.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #737 on: December 28, 2019, 07:55:40 PM »
The noise about how unfair it was that 2 loss LSU got to go was plenty loud, which was my point.  Alabama, when they care, plays defense.  I don't know if they will give a damn in their bowl game this year, but in the CFP and regular season they do.  Oklahoma, quite frankly, isn't capable of it which is why they got rolled tonight to very little surprise.

I'm sure you bet the house on LSU at -13.5 then.  Nice of you to always be getting such easy money.

Maybe they should've kept Clemson out of the CFP this year too?  I mean, if we want to put Bama in over a good but not great conference winner, why not put them in over the winner of a bad conference like the ACC?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #738 on: December 28, 2019, 08:08:36 PM »

Did Alabama care against Clemson?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #739 on: December 28, 2019, 08:11:16 PM »
I'm sure you bet the house on LSU at -13.5 then.  Nice of you to always be getting such easy money.

Maybe they should've kept Clemson out of the CFP this year too?  I mean, if we want to put Bama in over a good but not great conference winner, why not put them in over the winner of a bad conference like the ACC?

Nope, didn't bet at all. It wouldn't be easy money either....look I realize the silly game you are playing right now...despite identifying winners all season well in advance, you are hung up on a volleyball game that I didn't know had happened...so you ignore the countless wins predicted days, weeks in advance and hung up on ONE volleyball game....funny watching the geriatric online partner chime in with the same lie is fantastic....Squiggy and Lenny.

No, Clemson should not have been kept out of the CFP this year.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #740 on: December 28, 2019, 08:12:40 PM »
Did Alabama care against Clemson?

Last year, yes....the better team won the game. Clemson was the better team.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #741 on: December 28, 2019, 08:14:58 PM »
Last year, yes....the better team won the game. Clemson was the better team.

Okay.

So can't LSU just be the (much) better team today?

Why is Alabama getting blown out different than Oklahoma getting blown out?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #742 on: December 28, 2019, 08:26:06 PM »
Okay.

Not to mention Oklahoma missing their best DL plus a RB and WR to suspension and lost a starting safety to targeting in the first quarter.

To suggest Alabama should’ve been in this year’s CFP is hysterical. Cheeks is the only person in the world that thinks that. Well, Cheeks, ChicosBailBonds, and Hoopaloop.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #743 on: December 28, 2019, 09:23:37 PM »
Okay.

Oklahoma got blown out in a semi final game in which there was some discussion on whether they should even be in this game.  Their defense is awful, etc.   Alabama lost in the championship game in which there was no doubt they were one of the four teams that should have been there.

Put another way, Alabama vs Oklahoma, I’m taking Alabama.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #744 on: December 28, 2019, 09:24:40 PM »
Not to mention Oklahoma missing their best DL plus a RB and WR to suspension and lost a starting safety to targeting in the first quarter.

To suggest Alabama should’ve been in this year’s CFP is hysterical. Cheeks is the only person in the world that thinks that. Well, Cheeks, ChicosBailBonds, and Hoopaloop.

Only person in the world....how about we lay some cash down on that for charity, Squiggy P? 

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #745 on: December 28, 2019, 10:31:26 PM »
Oklahoma got blown out in a semi final game in which there was some discussion on whether they should even be in this game. 
There was never a discussion about Oklahoma being in the playoff after Georgia and Utah lost.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #746 on: December 28, 2019, 10:32:26 PM »
There was never a discussion about Oklahoma being in the playoff after Georgia and Utah lost.

Yup. Cheeks, Chicos, and Hoopaloop are the only “three” people in the world who think Oklahoma didn’t deserve to be in the CFP.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #747 on: December 28, 2019, 10:33:34 PM »
For all of you who say the announcers take away from the game, turn on ESPNNews.  No announcers, just the in stadium PA guy with the Skycam view of each play. Kinda weird

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #748 on: December 28, 2019, 10:33:57 PM »
Only person in the world....how about we lay some cash down on that for charity, Squiggy P?

Is this another one of these things that goes from, “I read what they said,” to, “I talk to agents every day who have told me this news. Talk to college coaches about it someday?”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #749 on: December 28, 2019, 10:51:50 PM »
Meanwhile ... helluva game going on now.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback