collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: College Football is back  (Read 129173 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: College Football is back
« Reply #400 on: November 10, 2019, 01:48:40 PM »
Alabama has not really played anyone besides LSU. Same for Minnesota (Penn St.).

They each played their first elite team. Alabama played poorly and lost. Minnesota played well and won. There is no reason to have Bama ahead of them, besides "they are Alabama".

How about "they are better."
Honestly ... if these two teams meet up in a bowl game, are you taking the Gophers straight up? If your answer is no, then you rank Alabama ahead of them. Because they're better.
Great win by the Gophers, and remember, I'm the guy who was defending and talking up PJ Fleck here last week. But I'm not dopey enough to believe they're a better team than Bama.

And, no, Penn State isn't an elite team.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 02:00:43 PM by Pakuni »

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #401 on: November 10, 2019, 01:54:58 PM »
How about "they are better."
Honestly ... if these two teams meet up in a bowl game, are you taking the Gophers straight up? If you're answer is no, then you rank Alabama ahead of them. Because they're better.
Great win by the Gophers, and remember, I'm the guy who was defending and talking up PJ Fleck here last week. But I'm not dopey enough to believe they're a better team than Bama.

And, no, Penn State isn't an elite team.

I want the 4 best teams in a playoff.  Alabama is better than Minnesota. 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #402 on: November 10, 2019, 02:10:06 PM »
Minnesota isn't getting past the Buckeyes.  Having said that, if they do, if a no loss Big 1G team is not in the playoff, it will guarantee an expansion to eight.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #403 on: November 10, 2019, 02:23:03 PM »
Minnesota isn't getting past the Buckeyes.  Having said that, if they do, if a no loss Big 1G team is not in the playoff, it will guarantee an expansion to eight.

Minnesota isn’t getting past Iowa...
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #404 on: November 10, 2019, 02:23:36 PM »
Wisconsin number 7. But not a top 8 team in college football. Lol.

Can’t wait for this pretzel.

Poor Becky....
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #405 on: November 10, 2019, 02:45:17 PM »
Poor Becky....

Uhhuh. Use your “power ratings” when they support your argument but when someone points out they’re in direct contradiction to your claims just ignore it. Classic Cheekalooper.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #406 on: November 10, 2019, 03:19:13 PM »
Uhhuh. Use your “power ratings” when they support your argument but when someone points out they’re in direct contradiction to your claims just ignore it. Classic Cheekalooper.

Lol...who was it that said Becky was better, Becky played a tougher schedule, etc, etc....that would be you.  Poor Becky.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #407 on: November 10, 2019, 03:23:16 PM »
Lol...who was it that said Becky was better, Becky played a tougher schedule, etc, etc....that would be you.  Poor Becky.

Better than who and played a tougher schedule than who? When they were ranked 8th I said they weren’t overrated. Apparently, according to your source (not mine), that’s pretty accurate and in fact maybe they were underrated.

Pretzels. Delicious.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #408 on: November 10, 2019, 03:38:54 PM »

Anyone see Iowa State get robbed?
You mean on the 2 point play with no flag? Yes, I saw it.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #409 on: November 10, 2019, 03:54:34 PM »
https://youtu.be/eg3hYP9XvW8

Bout right. Cheeks stuck in an impossible situation. Provides his “power ratings” as proof that MN not close to Bama. But then realizes that he was crying about Wisconsin being overrated at 8 and his power ratings have them at...7. So ditch the actual discussion and post YouTube videos. Very cute.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #410 on: November 10, 2019, 04:17:25 PM »
I'll play your game

College football computer rankings composite of 53 different systems.

https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

Becky is ranked 14th.   Penn State 4th.  This is through yesterday's games.

Poor Becky.  I'm sorry your favorite college football team stepped on their privates in Champagne and then got trucked in Columbus, but managed to eek out a win yesterday against Iowa....also eeked out a win against mighty Northwestern.  It's the same thing every damn year in Madison, and it is hilarious to watch.

Pinstripe this year?  Redbox?  Are they going to make it to a bowl game with a 2020 date....hmmm...maybe...still a shot...but has to be disappointing after the talk of CFP only a month or so ago.  Poor poor Becky.

I'm off to take my darling wife to a matinee movie.  Carry on.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #411 on: November 10, 2019, 04:26:20 PM »
I'll play your game

College football computer rankings composite of 53 different systems.

https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

Becky is ranked 14th.   Penn State 4th.  This is through yesterday's games.

Poor Becky.  I'm sorry your favorite college football team stepped on their privates in Champagne and then got trucked in Columbus, but managed to eek out a win yesterday against Iowa....also eeked out a win against mighty Northwestern.  It's the same thing every damn year in Madison, and it is hilarious to watch.

Pinstripe this year?  Redbox?  Are they going to make it to a bowl game with a 2020 date....hmmm...maybe...still a shot...but has to be disappointing after the talk of CFP only a month or so ago.  Poor poor Becky.

I'm off to take my darling wife to a matinee movie.  Carry on.

Ahh. Okay. So when the argument is MN vs. Bama you’ll use the one that has Bama at 3 and MN at 17, which has UW at 7, but when it’s whether WI is overrated forget that ranking system, we have to use the one that has WI at 14. Got it.

Classic Cheekolooper. Lol.

Pretzels!

Enjoy the movie with your dear wife! Hope you’ve figured out she’s the love of your life after your beautiful post about the real love of your life on here.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #412 on: November 10, 2019, 08:03:03 PM »
Ahh. Okay. So when the argument is MN vs. Bama you’ll use the one that has Bama at 3 and MN at 17, which has UW at 7, but when it’s whether WI is overrated forget that ranking system, we have to use the one that has WI at 14. Got it.

Classic Cheekolooper. Lol.

Pretzels!

Enjoy the movie with your dear wife! Hope you’ve figured out she’s the love of your life after your beautiful post about the real love of your life on here.

False story, but good try.  You can fall in love with people and fall in love again later...true story.

I just gave you 53 to choose from...the consensus is Bama better than Minny.  Consensus even bigger that PSU better than Uw Madison.  Sorry about your Badgers.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 08:13:19 PM by Cheeks »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #413 on: November 10, 2019, 08:13:12 PM »
False story, but good try.  You can fall in love with people and fall in love again later...true story.

I just gave you 53 to choose from...the consensus is Bama better than Minny.  Condense even bigger, PSU better than Uw Madison.  Sorry about your Vadgers.

You can keep saying they’re my Vadgers. You’re wrong but hey that never stops cheekalooper.

The Clippers are awesome at basketball. I guess that makes the Clippers my team.

The Patriots are awesome at football. I guess that makes the Patriots my team.

Duke is awesome at basketball. I guess that makes them my team.

Or I don’t judge how good a team is based on how much I like them like you do. You thought UW was overrated at 8. I didn’t. You provided a “power rating” as your proof for an argument. That very “power rating” has UW at 7. You proved yourself to be wrong. Sorry you don’t like it.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #414 on: November 10, 2019, 10:35:04 PM »

Gophs are not gonna win out(including OSU). But if they did, they would 100% be in the playoff.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #415 on: November 13, 2019, 11:33:20 AM »
Chase Young will sit one more game as the NCAA and Ohio State punished this kid by making him sit out against Maryland and Rutgers.  It’s a lesson he’ll never forget
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #416 on: November 13, 2019, 11:36:36 AM »
It was a stupid suspension to begin with. Two games is plenty. It isn't his fault they came against bad opponents.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #417 on: November 13, 2019, 11:39:01 AM »
It was a stupid suspension to begin with. Two games is plenty. It isn't his fault they came against bad opponents.

Yeah, what fortunate timing.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #418 on: November 13, 2019, 12:38:30 PM »
[/quote

Why is it stupid...the rules are clear...don’t take the money....he took the money. 

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #419 on: November 13, 2019, 01:23:48 PM »
Yeah, what fortunate timing.

There were plenty of two game stretches he could have been suspended for and people would find a way to say "fortunate timing". First two games at home vs. poor opponents before the big ten opener. Games 4 and 5 against Miami OH and Nebraska before a game against MSU.

OSU would have preferred he sit out the non-con games. It's good timing, but they haven't needed him to beat anyone so far. If the NCAA is fine with a two game suspension then who cares?

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #420 on: November 13, 2019, 01:26:25 PM »
Why is it stupid...the rules are clear...don’t take the money....he took the money.

In a vacuum, sure. He borrowed money from a family friend to fly his girlfriend to one of his games. He paid the money back.

It's penalizing a kid for coming from a poor family. If his parents or grandparents could have afforded it, no problem with the NCAA at all.

By the letter of the law I understand why he was suspended. It doesn't make it not stupid.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #421 on: November 14, 2019, 10:01:10 AM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #422 on: November 14, 2019, 10:22:26 AM »
Couple of year ago PJ and Heather were down at Buzz's Bunch. Both are close. Row the Boat!
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #423 on: November 14, 2019, 10:39:42 AM »
Great story on P.J. Fleck.  With a couple of Buzz references.

https://sports.yahoo.com/pj-flecks-latest-turnaround-changes-narrative-on-him-he-may-be-a-genius-012329346.html

Urban Meyer comparisons?  Sheesh.  The Fleck PR machine in full effect, learned brilliantly from Buzz!

Honestly, I think Fleck has more in common with Crean than he does with Buzz.  Marketing, self promotion, and a brand.  He's a fantastic recruiter and program buzz generator.  Buzz is an Xs and Os junkie who built himself up from the bottom, step by step.  And Urban is a scumbag, but he's an offensive genius, in addition to being a great recruiter. 

But we shall see, I think we see Fleck's name pop up for jobs all over the place, Ive seen this playbook before.  Lets just hope he grabs a second Bunyan's axe first.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #424 on: November 14, 2019, 11:44:27 AM »

Urban Meyer comparisons?  Sheesh.  The Fleck PR machine in full effect, learned brilliantly from Buzz!

Honestly, I think Fleck has more in common with Crean than he does with Buzz.  Marketing, self promotion, and a brand.  He's a fantastic recruiter and program buzz generator.  Buzz is an Xs and Os junkie who built himself up from the bottom, step by step.  And Urban is a scumbag, but he's an offensive genius, in addition to being a great recruiter. 

But we shall see, I think we see Fleck's name pop up for jobs all over the place, Ive seen this playbook before.  Lets just hope he grabs a second Bunyan's axe first.

I think Buzz worked really hard to build his brand. Maybe less overtly than Cream, but he has a pretty carefully crafted image.

It will be interesting to watch MN the next few weeks. They have the chance to build quite a resume.