[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Zog from Margo
[Today at 09:41:55 AM]

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by cheebs09
[Today at 09:36:47 AM]

Pep Band/Cheerleaders by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:22:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: College Football is back  (Read 129104 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: College Football is back
« Reply #375 on: November 09, 2019, 02:22:55 PM »
Flecking huge win for the Gophers
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #376 on: November 09, 2019, 03:17:41 PM »
Cheeks is very happy they got the right team in the top 4 in PSU.

LOL

I said earlier this week I didn’t expect them to stay there. 

Poor Becky
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #377 on: November 09, 2019, 03:45:25 PM »
Chryst needs to take a hard look at his offense and the coordinator. The play calling is predictable. When he was OC under Beleima it was much more dynamic.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #378 on: November 09, 2019, 03:48:54 PM »
LOL

I said earlier this week I didn’t expect them to stay there. 

Poor Becky

So you were happy they got it right...but didn’t think they were a top 4 team? What?!

Lol. Twisting in pretzels again.

“Wisconsin is overrated but they’re good but maybe they’re great.” “PSU should be top 4 but PSU not top 4 team.” “Clemson is overrated but they could be the best team by the end of the year.”

I don’t know why I bother. Of course you’re right. You couldn’t possibly be wrong, because you cover every possible base. If Clemson loses along the way it’s “see I told you they were overhyped!” If they go on and beat Bama by 35 in the semifinals and LSU in the finals by 24 it’s “I told you they could turn this around!” Lol.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #379 on: November 09, 2019, 04:23:30 PM »
Bama’s defense lookin’ good.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #380 on: November 09, 2019, 05:05:42 PM »
So you were happy they got it right...but didn’t think they were a top 4 team? What?!

Lol. Twisting in pretzels again.

“Wisconsin is overrated but they’re good but maybe they’re great.” “PSU should be top 4 but PSU not top 4 team.” “Clemson is overrated but they could be the best team by the end of the year.”

I don’t know why I bother. Of course you’re right. You couldn’t possibly be wrong, because you cover every possible base. If Clemson loses along the way it’s “see I told you they were overhyped!” If they go on and beat Bama by 35 in the semifinals and LSU in the finals by 24 it’s “I told you they could turn this around!” Lol.

I sometimes wonder if you are serious or not.

Last I checked it doesn’t mean a hill of beans until the end of the year, so I was glad they were given some validation especially because you and others were so terribly wrong about Wisconsin and them...a double bonus...but no I don’t think they are the 4th best team in the country and did not expect them to stay there.

So far I’ve been pretty right on this.

Called LSU today and Minnesota in our pool.  Been a good year for me.  As I said weeks ago, like around week 3, OSU is the best team and I’m sticking NC to it.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #381 on: November 09, 2019, 05:07:38 PM »
Called LSU today and Minnesota in our pool.  Been a good year for me.  As I said weeks ago, like around week 3, OSU is the best team and I’m sticking NC to it.

Congrats, hoopy.

I can't believe you don't retire from your job and become a professional gambler.

When you are 100% right about everything ... talk about a sure thing!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #382 on: November 09, 2019, 05:35:51 PM »
Tell me what is wrong with the statement...seriously.  It’s like betting in baseball.  When I worked for the Angels we had it drilled into our heads constantly, players, admin, etc...no betting...period...there was a huge sign on the wall you had to see every day going on the field...no gambling....these guys know the rules.  You are right, I am reliable on this because it is straight forward.  This isn’t hard, why make it so.

Cause it’s nothing like adult professionals and directly betting on their sport. He didn’t take cash from a car dealership, from a coach, from a local businessman. I know you’re all knowing and wise, but compliance and “improper benefits” to a 19-20 year old athlete isnt cut and dried and simple. My friend in college had to self report and was suspended for a game cause he used his neighbor from back home’s car to drive on a road trip over the summer. Didn’t buy it, didn’t lease it, used it to drive a few hundred miles for a few days cause his had been acting funny the last semester. But yet again, lets blame the student athletes. What an ignorant punk, don’t follow the complicated and archaic rules, get smacked!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #383 on: November 09, 2019, 07:00:09 PM »
Bama better without Tua...
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #384 on: November 09, 2019, 07:34:06 PM »
How coincidental is it that Ohio State has exactly 4 regular season games left including today and that is how many games they expect him to be suspended.   Whew for them getting him back for the postseason

It’s not. Length of suspension is based upon the amount impermissibly taken over $200.

Oh, there’s also the little issue that the “loan” reportedly came from an NFLPA registered agent.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #385 on: November 09, 2019, 09:59:33 PM »
The last 4 times #1 played #2, the winner of the game did not go on to win the national title, but the loser of the game won the NC three times.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #386 on: November 09, 2019, 10:04:33 PM »
The last 4 times #1 played #2, the winner of the game did not go on to win the national title, but the loser of the game won the NC three times.

Good thing for LSU is they were #2 and Bama was #3.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #387 on: November 09, 2019, 10:09:01 PM »
Minnesota better be ranked ahead of Alabama on Tuesday night.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #388 on: November 09, 2019, 10:34:10 PM »
Good thing for LSU is they were #2 and Bama was #3.

For clarity, AP rankings...in which they were 1 and 2.  CFP didn’t exist for some of those games with 1 vs 2.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/rankings/ap/

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #389 on: November 09, 2019, 10:35:11 PM »
Congrats, hoopy.

I can't believe you don't retire from your job and become a professional gambler.

When you are 100% right about everything ... talk about a sure thing!

I missed Kansas State vs Texas today.  I am human Mikey.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #390 on: November 09, 2019, 10:38:09 PM »
Cause it’s nothing like adult professionals and directly betting on their sport. He didn’t take cash from a car dealership, from a coach, from a local businessman. I know you’re all knowing and wise, but compliance and “improper benefits” to a 19-20 year old athlete isnt cut and dried and simple. My friend in college had to self report and was suspended for a game cause he used his neighbor from back home’s car to drive on a road trip over the summer. Didn’t buy it, didn’t lease it, used it to drive a few hundred miles for a few days cause his had been acting funny the last semester. But yet again, lets blame the student athletes. What an ignorant punk, don’t follow the complicated and archaic rules, get smacked!

Uhm, this one was pretty straight forward.  And if it is true whom the loan came from, even more cut and dried.

Not hard.  Don’t take money.  Period.  If you want to, talk to the compliance people first.  This is what we drilled into MU athletes time and time and time again.  Don’t be stupid, don’t make stupid decisions when there is a bevy or people there to help you with the rules.

I’m proud that I’m the nearly 6 years I was in MU athletics we didn’t have any of this crap to worry about.  We took compliance very seriously.  We had a few guys that decided weed was their thing, one was booted off the team.  No issues with loans, etc. 

It really isn’t that hard.  It has nothing do with me being all knowing, it has to do with just paying attention and having a pulse and a few ounces of grey matter between the ears.  Some of these rule breakers are either massive lazy or willfully just dumb.  The rules are that cut and dry.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 10:41:42 PM by Cheeks »

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #391 on: November 09, 2019, 11:00:01 PM »

Going off the top of my head.
Florida State in 1993
Florida in 97
Alabama 2011

Is that correct?
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #392 on: November 09, 2019, 11:39:55 PM »
Uhm, this one was pretty straight forward.  And if it is true whom the loan came from, even more cut and dried.

Not hard.  Don’t take money.  Period.  If you want to, talk to the compliance people first.  This is what we drilled into MU athletes time and time and time again.  Don’t be stupid, don’t make stupid decisions when there is a bevy or people there to help you with the rules.

I’m proud that I’m the nearly 6 years I was in MU athletics we didn’t have any of this crap to worry about.  We took compliance very seriously.  We had a few guys that decided weed was their thing, one was booted off the team.  No issues with loans, etc. 

It really isn’t that hard.  It has nothing do with me being all knowing, it has to do with just paying attention and having a pulse and a few ounces of grey matter between the ears.  Some of these rule breakers are either massive lazy or willfully just dumb.  The rules are that cut and dry.

Ohio State has one compliance individual who is embedded with football. It’s the only team with which they work, he goes to every practice, every road trip, goes to major recruiting events with coaches. Considering OSU’s past issues Young had to know it was wrong but he did it anyway.

And why couldn’t his GF pay her own way, or her family? Why couldn’t she take the loan? There is more going on here.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #393 on: November 09, 2019, 11:56:30 PM »
Ohio State has one compliance individual who is embedded with football. It’s the only team with which they work, he goes to every practice, every road trip, goes to major recruiting events with coaches. Considering OSU’s past issues Young had to know it was wrong but he did it anyway.

And why couldn’t his GF pay her own way, or her family? Why couldn’t she take the loan? There is more going on here.

I would agree.  Just amazes me the pass that is given.  These student athletes know the rules.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #394 on: November 10, 2019, 11:26:16 AM »
If yall are done talking about stupid ncaa violations...

Anyone see Iowa state get robbed?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #395 on: November 10, 2019, 11:53:10 AM »
Minnesota better be ranked ahead of Alabama on Tuesday night.

Nah.
I don't think anyone could make the case that if Bama and Minnesota were to play next week, the Gophers should/would be the favorite. Or are the better team.
Alabama pretty much had every bad thing possible happen to them Saturday - most of them self-inflicted, but also some injury and officiating issues -  and still were in that game until the very end. They should be tops among the one-loss candidates.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #396 on: November 10, 2019, 12:10:35 PM »
Going off the top of my head.
Florida State in 1993
Florida in 97
Alabama 2011

Is that correct?

Very close...Florida lost that game in 96

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #397 on: November 10, 2019, 01:11:26 PM »
Nah.
I don't think anyone could make the case that if Bama and Minnesota were to play next week, the Gophers should/would be the favorite. Or are the better team.
Alabama pretty much had every bad thing possible happen to them Saturday - most of them self-inflicted, but also some injury and officiating issues -  and still were in that game until the very end. They should be tops among the one-loss candidates.

Alabama has not really played anyone besides LSU. Same for Minnesota (Penn St.).

They each played their first elite team. Alabama played poorly and lost. Minnesota played well and won. There is no reason to have Bama ahead of them, besides "they are Alabama".

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #398 on: November 10, 2019, 01:23:19 PM »
Alabama has not really played anyone besides LSU. Same for Minnesota (Penn St.).

They each played their first elite team. Alabama played poorly and lost. Minnesota played well and won. There is no reason to have Bama ahead of them, besides "they are Alabama".

Uhm, ok.

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #399 on: November 10, 2019, 01:25:42 PM »
Uhm, ok.

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

Wisconsin number 7. But not a top 8 team in college football. Lol.

Can’t wait for this pretzel.