[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: College Football is back  (Read 129113 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: College Football is back
« Reply #350 on: November 05, 2019, 11:44:37 AM »
Administration and fan base/boosters are quite different when it comes to patience with minority coaches (especially when the program has not had one before). Texas's biggest donor, Red McCombs, called Charlie Strong's hire a "kick in the face" was as pushing for him to be fired before he coached a game at UT.

Coach Strong may be on his way out of USF next....hot seat.  Seems like a good man, might be one of those guys that is a better coordinator than head coach.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #351 on: November 05, 2019, 02:22:47 PM »
Apparently Minnesota is nervous about Fleck leaving.

Brett McMurphy @Brett_McMurphy
P.J. Fleck receives a new 7-year contract at Minnesota through 2026 season

MU82

• All American
« Reply #352 on: November 05, 2019, 02:36:09 PM »
Apparently Minnesota is nervous about Fleck leaving.

Brett McMurphy @Brett_McMurphy
P.J. Fleck receives a new 7-year contract at Minnesota through 2026 season

contractnomatta

If Florida State called him tomorrow and offered him double and paid the buyout, the contract will have not been worth the piece of paper it was written on -- except to Fleck, who would get richer, and I guess Minnesota, which would get compensated. All the athletes (and their parents) whom Fleck promised that he would be there forever and ever ... tough nuggies.

But sure, I guess Fleck "earned" that extension after 2 mediocre seasons and 2/3 of one very good season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #353 on: November 05, 2019, 05:26:18 PM »
contractnomatta

If Florida State called him tomorrow and offered him double and paid the buyout, the contract will have not been worth the piece of paper it was written on -- except to Fleck, who would get richer, and I guess Minnesota, which would get compensated. All the athletes (and their parents) whom Fleck promised that he would be there forever and ever ... tough nuggies.

But sure, I guess Fleck "earned" that extension after 2 mediocre seasons and 2/3 of one very good season.

He’s paid more than Paul Chryst now.  Chryst is the 10th highest paid coach in the Medium 14.  King Barry will be opening the purse again
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #354 on: November 06, 2019, 10:43:13 AM »
Good to see THAT Penn State make the final four.   :D

And no, I don’t think they will stay there.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #355 on: November 07, 2019, 05:58:25 PM »
Giantitic Saturday
Baylor at TCU   11:00 am   FS1
Penn State at Minnesota   11:00 am   ABC
Kansas State at Texas   2:30 pm   ESPN
LSU at Alabama   2:30 pm   CBS
Iowa at Wisconsin   3:00 pm   FOX
Notre Dame at Duke   6:30 pm   ACC Network
Iowa State at Oklahoma   7:00 pm FOX
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #356 on: November 07, 2019, 05:59:29 PM »
Good to see THAT Penn State make the final four.   :D

And no, I don’t think they will stay there.
Will they be there when they play Ohio State in two weeks on FOX?
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #357 on: November 07, 2019, 11:07:30 PM »
Ohhh... wut?

@RapSheet: NFL Network analyst and Hall of Famer Deion Sanders has emerged as a candidate for the Florida St. head coaching job, sources tell me and @MikeGarafolo. A fascinating situation that could unfold.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #358 on: November 08, 2019, 08:17:19 AM »
Chase Young of Ohio State suspended for at least this weeks game
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #359 on: November 08, 2019, 08:22:32 AM »
Chase Young of Ohio State suspended for at least this weeks game

I'm sure it was just coincidental timing that O$U is "looking into" something from 2018 and holding him out when it's Maryland this weekend.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #360 on: November 08, 2019, 09:03:55 AM »
I'm sure it was just coincidental timing that O$U is "looking into" something from 2018 and holding him out when it's Maryland this weekend.

I’ll bet if he didn’t play against Becky that the Buckeyes would have lost...  lol

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #361 on: November 08, 2019, 09:11:53 AM »
I’ll bet if he didn’t play against Becky that the Buckeyes would have lost...  lol

Maybe.

Crapshoot.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #362 on: November 08, 2019, 10:04:28 AM »

I'm offended you would suggest that Gene Smith, defender of all that is good and pure in college athletics, would allow such a cynical move.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #363 on: November 08, 2019, 10:15:43 AM »
Ohhh... wut?

@RapSheet: NFL Network analyst and Hall of Famer Deion Sanders has emerged as a candidate for the Florida St. head coaching job, sources tell me and @MikeGarafolo. A fascinating situation that could unfold.

I'm fairly certain that the source of this rumor is a guy named Deion Sanders.

But if I am wrong, this would be one of the most godawful hires in the history of college football.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #364 on: November 08, 2019, 04:47:13 PM »
I'm offended you would suggest that Gene Smith, defender of all that is good and pure in college athletics, would allow such a cynical move.

Ohio State usually turns a blind eye to most things

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #365 on: November 09, 2019, 09:45:39 AM »
Adam Rittenberg of ESPN is reporting Ohio State expects a 4-game suspension for Chase Young.  Big win for amateurism

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #366 on: November 09, 2019, 10:09:19 AM »
Adam Rittenberg of ESPN is reporting Ohio State expects a 4-game suspension for Chase Young.  Big win for amateurism
How coincidental is it that Ohio State has exactly 4 regular season games left including today and that is how many games they expect him to be suspended.   Whew for them getting him back for the postseason

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #367 on: November 09, 2019, 10:22:46 AM »
How coincidental is it that Ohio State has exactly 4 regular season games left including today and that is how many games they expect him to be suspended.   Whew for them getting him back for the postseason

Seems like 4 games too many. This is a longer suspension than Urban Meyer got for the Zach Smith debacle.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #368 on: November 09, 2019, 10:25:38 AM »
Seems like 4 games too many. This is a longer suspension than Urban Meyer got for the Zach Smith debacle.

That was different.  The NCAA didn’t have a financial stake in that.  That money Chase Young took and paid back for flying his family to the Rose Bowl corrupted amateurism to its core

MU82

• All American
« Reply #369 on: November 09, 2019, 11:31:50 AM »
That was different.  The NCAA didn’t have a financial stake in that.  That money Chase Young took and paid back for flying his family to the Rose Bowl corrupted amateurism to its core

Thank goodness he didn't take make-believe classes for two years. The NCAA would have really come down on Ohio State for that. Oh wait ...
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #370 on: November 09, 2019, 12:02:15 PM »

How about the simple part...every player knows the rules.  He broke the rules.  Why is this so hard for folks.  Sure, it tugs at the heartstrings, and Yama Yama, but those are the rules given to players and each school has a symposium each year on what you can and cannot do.  I get it, you don’t like the rules...well, that doesn’t get you out of jail.  I don’t like a lot of laws, if I don’t follow them there is a punishment.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #371 on: November 09, 2019, 01:10:38 PM »
The golden Gophers are playing pretty Flecking good so far.

Edit:. Literally the instant I hit 'post', Minnesota fumbles it away at midfield.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 01:12:51 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #372 on: November 09, 2019, 01:10:58 PM »
How about the simple part...every player knows the rules.  He broke the rules.  Why is this so hard for folks.  Sure, it tugs at the heartstrings, and Yama Yama, but those are the rules given to players and each school has a symposium each year on what you can and cannot do.  I get it, you don’t like the rules...well, that doesn’t get you out of jail.  I don’t like a lot of laws, if I don’t follow them there is a punishment.

Lol, you’re so damn reliable

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #373 on: November 09, 2019, 02:16:11 PM »
Lol, you’re so damn reliable

Tell me what is wrong with the statement...seriously.  It’s like betting in baseball.  When I worked for the Angels we had it drilled into our heads constantly, players, admin, etc...no betting...period...there was a huge sign on the wall you had to see every day going on the field...no gambling....these guys know the rules.  You are right, I am reliable on this because it is straight forward.  This isn’t hard, why make it so.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #374 on: November 09, 2019, 02:20:57 PM »
Cheeks is very happy they got the right team in the top 4 in PSU.

feedback