[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: College Football is back  (Read 129232 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: College Football is back
« Reply #200 on: October 06, 2019, 10:35:48 AM »
Penn St?! Their schedule is even more cupcakey than UW so far. They snuck by a mediocre Pitt team at home who has been awful other than that miracle against UCF.

Putting them above Auburn, especially after last night, is hilarious.

Yes, Penn State.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #201 on: October 06, 2019, 10:36:56 AM »
I mean, 3 of their next 4 are against teams that are currently ranked. They’ve already beaten the Number 11 team at the time.

Their non-conference schedule is incredibly soft.

They will beat MSU who has a solid defense and nothing else.  Ohio State will beat Becky. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #202 on: October 06, 2019, 08:16:05 PM »
I don't watch much college football (even though my team is undefeated since 1960), when did Michigan fans start doing the chop?  And why?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #203 on: October 07, 2019, 09:00:35 AM »
I watch Michigan all the time. It's 4th down and they are chanting you suck.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 09:07:03 AM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #204 on: October 07, 2019, 09:17:51 AM »
I don't watch much college football (even though my team is undefeated since 1960), when did Michigan fans start doing the chop?  And why?

You sure it isn’t the Temptation tradition you are referencing?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #205 on: October 07, 2019, 10:07:36 AM »
You sure it isn’t the Temptation tradition you are referencing?
Maybe so.  It was on at the health club so no sound, maybe they were yelling "you suck", but it was more of a chopping motion rather than pointing. Couldn't figure out how that was related to Wolverines.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #206 on: October 07, 2019, 10:15:09 AM »
Yes, Penn State.

LOL, grow up.  Coming to crow about a ranking that made no sense at the time after one team loses on the road to a top 10 opponent and your team beats a 1-4 scrub team is pathetic.  But whatever, expect nothing less from you.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #207 on: October 07, 2019, 12:34:17 PM »
Maybe so.  It was on at the health club so no sound, maybe they were yelling "you suck", but it was more of a chopping motion rather than pointing. Couldn't figure out how that was related to Wolverines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0CBP61UXEY
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #208 on: October 07, 2019, 01:01:11 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0CBP61UXEY
Yup, that's it.  Certainly looks like the tomahawk chop if you don't have the sound on.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #209 on: October 07, 2019, 01:05:58 PM »
That's 12 hours every Saturday for 30 years of cfb watching in knowing what you might have saw.  ;)
-Bill Walton

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #210 on: October 07, 2019, 05:16:13 PM »
LOL, grow up.  Coming to crow about a ranking that made no sense at the time after one team loses on the road to a top 10 opponent and your team beats a 1-4 scrub team is pathetic.  But whatever, expect nothing less from you.

I went by the eye test.  I’ll stick to it.  They may not be that good, but I think better than you are giving them credit for.  Auburn, overhyped.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #211 on: October 07, 2019, 05:30:24 PM »
I went by the eye test.  I’ll stick to it.  They may not be that good, but I think better than you are giving them credit for.  Auburn, overhyped.

Eye test?  Come on man.  This is confirmation bias nonsense.  The eye test for a team that in 5 games has beaten 3 bad teams, went into halftime trailing a horrible Buffalo team, and tried to give the game to Pitt multiple times?  Compared to one that wasn't over-ranked highly coming in, and rose up the basis of beating multiple good teams (Even Tulane is as good a win as any PSU has).  And they were in a 3 point game on the road until late in the 4th.  Overhyped, lol.

I hate Wisconsin with all my heart, but you championing Penn St while crapping on Wisconsin thus far tells me all I need to know about your "eye tests".

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #212 on: October 07, 2019, 05:34:16 PM »
Eye test?  Come on man.  This is confirmation bias nonsense.  The eye test for a team that in 5 games has beaten 3 bad teams, went into halftime trailing a horrible Buffalo team, and tried to give the game to Pitt multiple times?  Compared to one that wasn't over-ranked highly coming in, and rose up the basis of beating multiple good teams (Even Tulane is as good a win as any PSU has).  And they were in a 3 point game on the road until late in the 4th.  Overhyped, lol.

I hate Wisconsin with all my heart, but you championing Penn St while crapping on Wisconsin thus far tells me all I need to know about your "eye tests".

His “eye test” is “do I like the program/school? If so they’re underrated. If not then they play a cupcake schedule, every team they beat is overrated, and they suck.”

Auburn? They suck, haven’t played anyone good because Oregon is overrated and FL is overhyped. But that PSU team, very impressive season so far dominating the powerhouses Idaho, Buffalo, Maryland, Purdue, and Pitt. Every one of those programs would smoke Michigan, Wisconsin, Oregon, and Florida. My eyes tell me so.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #213 on: October 07, 2019, 07:20:49 PM »
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #214 on: October 07, 2019, 08:08:26 PM »

They are ranked 5th through 8th in the power ratings.  They may not be that good, I don’t know.  In the limited time I have seen them play, they looked pretty good.  And yes, my eyes are definitely going south.

They may be trash and living on a bad schedule. Auburn has looked good, but overhyped to me.  Georgia and Clemson, the same.  But that doesn’t mean they aren’t good and can become great by season’s end.  OSU has been best team I have seen thus far this year.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #215 on: October 07, 2019, 08:11:08 PM »
His “eye test” is “do I like the program/school? If so they’re underrated. If not then they play a cupcake schedule, every team they beat is overrated, and they suck.”

Auburn? They suck, haven’t played anyone good because Oregon is overrated and FL is overhyped. But that PSU team, very impressive season so far dominating the powerhouses Idaho, Buffalo, Maryland, Purdue, and Pitt. Every one of those programs would smoke Michigan, Wisconsin, Oregon, and Florida. My eyes tell me so.

Nope.  I happen to not care for Alabama at all, still think they are good.  Not a big fan of OSU, think they are a great team.  There are programs I like a lot, and they suck and will happily admit it.

Your theory not so good.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #216 on: October 07, 2019, 08:12:21 PM »
They are ranked 5th through 8th in the power ratings.  They may not be that good, I don’t know.  In the limited time I have seen them play, they looked pretty good.  And yes, my eyes are definitely going south.

They may be trash and living on a bad schedule. Auburn has looked good, but overhyped to me.  Georgia and Clemson, the same.  But that doesn’t mean they aren’t good and can become great by season’s end.  OSU has been best team I have seen thus far this year.

Wait. So you don’t pay attention to the polls, but you use “power ratings” as evidence of how good PSU is? 😂
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #217 on: October 07, 2019, 09:25:51 PM »
Wait. So you don’t pay attention to the polls, but you use “power ratings” as evidence of how good PSU is? 😂

I trust computers more than people, if that is what you are asking.  Yes.  I don’t mind human polls toward the end of the season, find that unreliable early.

Incidentally, as much as I hate WI, I didn’t say they weren’t any good.  In fact I said they were good and potentially very good, but their schedule, especially historically, leaves me guessing how good they really are.  We will find out a little bit against MSU, who I think is so so.  I expect OSU to handle them easily.  If not, well then they will prove they are the real deal.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #218 on: October 07, 2019, 09:47:12 PM »
I trust computers more than people, if that is what you are asking.  Yes.  I don’t mind human polls toward the end of the season, find that unreliable early.

Incidentally, as much as I hate WI, I didn’t say they weren’t any good.  In fact I said they were good and potentially very good, but their schedule, especially historically, leaves me guessing how good they really are.  We will find out a little bit against MSU, who I think is so so.  I expect OSU to handle them easily.  If not, well then they will prove they are the real deal.

So you’re going with...Wisconsin might be good. They might be the real deal. Or they might not be good.

Way to go out on a limb there!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 09:52:22 PM by wadesworld »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #219 on: October 07, 2019, 09:59:37 PM »
If this is the 8th best team in the nation, college football has a problem with lack of quality.  Or did they tell the two teams wear old uniforms and play like you are 70 years old.

Cheeks: “I never said UW wasn’t good. In fact I said they are good.”

Arguing with you is like arguing with a 5 year old. No, you never said the words “UW sucks.” But anyone with one iota of an ability to comprehend the written words sees exactly what you’re saying here. Your playing the dumb victim is hilarious given how you love to shout from the mountain tops how intelligent you are.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #220 on: October 07, 2019, 10:54:56 PM »
Cheeks: “I never said UW wasn’t good. In fact I said they are good.”

Arguing with you is like arguing with a 5 year old. No, you never said the words “UW sucks.” But anyone with one iota of an ability to comprehend the written words sees exactly what you’re saying here. Your playing the dumb victim is hilarious given how you love to shout from the mountain tops how intelligent you are.

I said a few weeks ago...far different than your imaginary interpretation.

“I think they are a good team, and have a Heisman candidate back....and they will be highly ranked all year because of the soft schedule, but until they finally win a meaningful game on the national stage that’s where I am.”

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #221 on: October 07, 2019, 11:05:56 PM »
I said a few weeks ago...far different than your imaginary interpretation.

“I think they are a good team, and have a Heisman candidate back....and they will be highly ranked all year because of the soft schedule, but until they finally win a meaningful game on the national stage that’s where I am.”

Hmm.

“If this is the 8th best team in the nation, college football has a problem with lack of quality.”

I’ll repeat that.

“ If this is the 8th best team in the nation, college football has a problem with lack of quality.”

There’s genuinely no possible other way to interpret that beyond “Wisconsin is not a quality team.” So in your definition “not a quality team” = “a good team.”

Makes a lot of sense, given who’s posting.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #222 on: October 07, 2019, 11:24:04 PM »
Hmm.

“If this is the 8th best team in the nation, college football has a problem with lack of quality.”

I’ll repeat that.

“ If this is the 8th best team in the nation, college football has a problem with lack of quality.”

There’s genuinely no possible other way to interpret that beyond “Wisconsin is not a quality team.” So in your definition “not a quality team” = “a good team.”

Makes a lot of sense, given who’s posting.

Cherry picking again.  I also said this...in the same thread only a few posts later...

“24-15 at home late against a 1-3 Northwestern team.  UW-madison extension is a good team, but if that is the 8th best team....yowza. “

I guess you just ignore where I said they are a good team just not the 8th best team.  Tell me, is it possible to be a good team, just not a top 10 team or are only good teams ranked 8th and above?  LOL.  Makes a lot of sense considering who is whining they didn’t bother with the complete picture I stated.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 11:27:50 PM by Cheeks »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #223 on: October 07, 2019, 11:25:54 PM »
So you’re going with...Wisconsin might be good. They might be the real deal. Or they might not be good.

Way to go out on a limb there!

Because their schedule sucks balls most years, that is the position we find ourselves in.  I have repeatedly, multiple times, said they are good.  We will find out how good when they finally play someone.  Not hard to understand for most people.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #224 on: October 07, 2019, 11:40:20 PM »
Cherry picking again.  I also said this...in the same thread only a few posts later...

“24-15 at home late against a 1-3 Northwestern team.  UW-madison extension is a good team, but if that is the 8th best team....yowza. “

I guess you just ignore where I said they are a good team just not the 8th best team.  Tell me, is it possible to be a good team, just not a top 10 team or are only good teams ranked 8th and above?  LOL.  Makes a lot of sense considering who is whining they didn’t bother with the complete picture I stated.

Cherry pick? Your entire post was about how awful college football is if Wisconsin is the 8th best team in the country.

So there’s a gap the size of the Grand Canyon between the 8th and 10th best team in college football? College football has a quality issue if UW is the 8th best team, but if they’re the 10th best team all is right in the world?

LOL indeed.