[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: College Football is back  (Read 129115 times)

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
Re: College Football is back
« Reply #150 on: September 22, 2019, 11:58:51 AM »
UCLA vs Washington State was crazy tonight.  UCLA trailed by 32 half way in 3rd period....took the lead with 8 min to go in 4th, 60-56.

Wazzu took lead at 63-60.  Chip Kelly with a very odd call....UCLA with a 36 yard FG with 2:40 left, but he opts to go for it on 4th and 5 and fails. 

Wazzu then fumbles....UCLA takes lead 67-63 with 1:07 left.  Wazzu QB threw for 9 TD’s and they lost.

Man. I went to bed. I figure 12.5 hours again on Saturday was enough for me when WSU was leading 42-17 in the 3rd.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #151 on: September 22, 2019, 12:05:16 PM »
Man. I went to bed. I figure 12.5 hours again on Saturday was enough for me when WSU was leading 42-17 in the 3rd.

WSU had a 99.9% probability to win at that point in the game per ESPN.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #152 on: September 22, 2019, 07:13:37 PM »
My favorite team (Georgia this past week) won, so all's good.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #153 on: September 22, 2019, 07:35:38 PM »
My favorite team (Georgia this past week) won, so all's good.

Confession to make, Notre Dame football was part of our upbringing as Catholics.  That did not change despite the basketball rivalry.  Irish accounted well last night between the hedges.  Are the Irish pretty good, or the Bulldogs not quite as good?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

MU82

• All American
« Reply #154 on: September 22, 2019, 11:01:23 PM »
Confession to make, Notre Dame football was part of our upbringing as Catholics.  That did not change despite the basketball rivalry.  Irish accounted well last night between the hedges.  Are the Irish pretty good, or the Bulldogs not quite as good?

Doesn't matter to me. Just glad hated ND lost.

I always go back and forth on whether I want them to make the playoffs or not. When they don't, I'm always glad that they will have zero chance to win their first title in decades. But when they do, it's fun to watch them lose 123-6 on the big stage.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #155 on: September 23, 2019, 10:57:36 PM »

It’s funny. ND fans are hailing this as a victory and claiming they played well.

Without an unforced muffed punt, this is a 23-3 game late in the 4th. Kirby surprisingly kicking the FG on 4th and inches late kept ND in the game. And a completely blown PI on ND was the only reason ND got a shot.

UGA didn’t play well. ND’s D played well at times but the offense was stagnant. No rushing yards and Book was under 200 yards with a pick going into the 4th. When UGA was on their game, ND was entirely overmatched.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #156 on: September 23, 2019, 11:07:25 PM »

Confession to make.  I grew up Catholic next to a family of seven Domers. They SUCK in football, basketball, field hockey, academics, life and mascotting.  EOS

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #157 on: September 24, 2019, 07:06:06 AM »
Confession to make.  I grew up Catholic next to a family of seven Domers. They SUCK in football, basketball, field hockey, academics, life and mascotting.  EOS

Confession to make:  my dad went to Notre Dame and I grew up a huge Notre Dame fan.  I still generally root for them in football, but don't follow closely like I used to.

Potential redemption story:  now that I finally have a kid that is at a school with a legit football program, I can totally see myself switching.  I've tended to become fans of my kids' colleges (when they don't conflict with being a Marquette fan, and even then with one very limited exception).
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #158 on: September 24, 2019, 07:54:01 AM »
It’s funny. ND fans are hailing this as a victory and claiming they played well.

Without an unforced muffed punt, this is a 23-3 game late in the 4th. Kirby surprisingly kicking the FG on 4th and inches late kept ND in the game. And a completely blown PI on ND was the only reason ND got a shot.

UGA didn’t play well. ND’s D played well at times but the offense was stagnant. No rushing yards and Book was under 200 yards with a pick going into the 4th. When UGA was on their game, ND was entirely overmatched.

Georgia has a great defense though.  It really doesn't surprise me that ND had trouble moving the ball.

Anyway, ND's schedule is quite favorable.  Toughest games left are Virginia in South Bend this weekend, and at Michigan in late October.  I think they win out.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #159 on: September 24, 2019, 08:28:02 AM »
First, players sat out in bowl games, Now, King is going to redshirt after 1-3 start,
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/houston-qb-deriq-king-to-redshirt-the-rest-of-2019-season-remain-with-program/
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #160 on: September 24, 2019, 08:33:03 AM »
First, players sat out in bowl games, Now, King is going to redshirt after 1-3 start,
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/houston-qb-deriq-king-to-redshirt-the-rest-of-2019-season-remain-with-program/

God forbid a player uses the rules in place to his advantage.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #161 on: September 24, 2019, 08:43:02 AM »
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #162 on: September 24, 2019, 08:54:03 AM »

Doesn't always make it right. His own dad said, "Sometimes you got to be a little self-centered and do what's best for you."

I'm not sure how I feel on this. I don't think he will be at Houston in 2020.
-Bill Walton

MU82

• All American
« Reply #163 on: September 24, 2019, 08:54:44 AM »

"I have decided the opportunity to redshirt this season gives me the best chance to develop as a player, earn my degree and set me up for the best success in the future. I'm looking forward to being part of the success of this program going forward."

Yeah! What a jerk!

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #164 on: September 24, 2019, 08:56:54 AM »
Doesn't always make it right. His own dad said, "Sometimes you got to be a little self-centered and do what's best for you."

I'm not sure how I feel on this. I don't think he will be at Houston in 2020.

How is it wrong?  A coach can leave the program under the terms of his contract, and no one really questions the ethics of it, but a player can't do the same?

Of course a player has to be "a little self-centered."  They should be.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #165 on: September 24, 2019, 09:01:34 AM »

How is it wrong?  A coach can leave the program under the terms of his contract, and no one really questions the ethics of it, but a player can't do the same?

When did I say it is wrong?  Some of his teammates thinks he quit on them during the middle of the season. That is not a good look. Yet, IMO you sometimes need to do not the best look, to better yourself down the road.
-Bill Walton

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #166 on: September 24, 2019, 09:05:11 AM »
When did I say it is wrong?

Well, when you say "Doesn't always make it right," you imply it.

Some of his teammates thinks he quit on them during the middle of the season. That is not a good look. Yet, IMO you sometimes need to do not the best look, to better yourself down the road.

If he transfers elsewhere and has a great senior season, no NFL team will care about this.  It won't affect his draft status one bit.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #167 on: September 28, 2019, 01:16:24 PM »
If this is the 8th best team in the nation, college football has a problem with lack of quality.  Or did they tell the two teams wear old uniforms and play like you are 70 years old.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #168 on: September 28, 2019, 01:54:46 PM »
If this is the 8th best team in the nation, college football has a problem with lack of quality.  Or did they tell the two teams wear old uniforms and play like you are 70 years old.

Maybe hold off on making conclusions about a team based on one half of football. They’ve played 7 halves of football. Overrated because 1 of those 7 halves weren’t dominant.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #169 on: September 28, 2019, 02:33:11 PM »

A coach has a buyout, a coach is an employee.  A player IS NOT AN EMPLOYEE....the courts have already ruled.  That. Is. Why.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #170 on: September 28, 2019, 02:35:19 PM »
Maybe hold off on making conclusions about a team based on one half of football. They’ve played 7 halves of football. Overrated because 1 of those 7 halves weren’t dominant.

24-15 at home late against a 1-3 Northwestern team.  UW-madison extension is a good team, but if that is the 8th best team....yowza. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #171 on: September 28, 2019, 04:19:20 PM »
24-15 at home late against a 1-3 Northwestern team.  UW-madison extension is a good team, but if that is the 8th best team....yowza.

Who’s better?

Good teams find a way to win when they aren’t playing well. We get it. You don’t like UW. Not many here do. I hate them. But it’s impossible to lose when you can say, “Look they only beat Northwestern by 9!” One week and then when they beat Michigan by 40 you can say, “Michigan is overrated!”

UVA hoops could only beat Dayton and VCU by 7 last year. You’re telling me they were the top team in college hoops? YOWZA!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #172 on: September 28, 2019, 05:44:07 PM »
Top team in the country needed a stop on a 2 point conversion to get a win over the powerhouse football program UNC. College football sucks! Yowza!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #173 on: September 28, 2019, 06:04:14 PM »
Who’s better?

I don’t think we get a proper read on UW until late Oct based on their schedule. Michigan is clearly not a top 20 team. Weren’t convincing in week 1 and barely snuck past Army at home before being lambasted. OSU and Iowa’s D will be interesting benchmarks.

As for who is better. UGA, Bama, Clemson, OSU, and LSU are clear for me. I’ve been impressed by what OU has done, but Houston is kind of the same situation as Michigan in not being as impressive a win as it could have been. Auburn rightly gets the nod over them cause they have 2 nice wins already. I think UW is right there with all the teams ranked between 8-12 that I wouldn’t have any issue moving any of them around. I don’t think Wisconsin is a playoff caliber team but all they have to do to win the West and likely finish in the top 10 is beat Iowa

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #174 on: September 28, 2019, 06:07:21 PM »
Top team in the country needed a stop on a 2 point conversion to get a win over the powerhouse football program UNC. College football sucks! Yowza!

Clemson obviously doesn't belong in the Top 8. Lucked out against a very mediocre team.

feedback