[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: College Football is back  (Read 129114 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: College Football is back
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2019, 05:06:44 PM »
Dude seriously. We all know what happened here. Be smart.

We do?  I thought all these agencies are above it all...LOL.  They aren’t...they weren’t in the past and they aren’t now.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2019, 06:00:40 PM »
We do?  I thought all these agencies are above it all...LOL.  They aren’t...they weren’t in the past and they aren’t now.

I agree with you that no agency has ever been completely beyond the control of the administration in power. Simple fact of political life.

But in the past they at least tried to support their actions with facts. Now, they've stopped even trying because they know it's futile.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2019, 07:11:40 PM »
I thought we were supposed to believe everything NOAA says.  So confusing what we are supposed to believe or not.....  ;)

“From Wednesday, August 28, through Monday, September 2, the information provided by NOAA and the National Hurricane Center to President Trump and the wider public demonstrated that tropical-storm-force winds from Hurricane Dorian could impact Alabama," the statement read. "This is clearly demonstrated in Hurricane Advisories #15 through #41, which can be viewed on the center's website.
"The Birmingham National Weather Service's Sunday morning tweet spoke in absolute terms that were inconsistent with probabilities from the best forecast products available at the time."

Completely bogus argument.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2019, 07:26:24 PM »

I agree with you that no agency has ever been completely beyond the control of the administration in power. Simple fact of political life.

But in the past they at least tried to support their actions with facts. Now, they've stopped even trying because they know it's futile.

I’d invite you to look at 2010 and 2012 and the data nonsense by the same NOAA that was called out and should have been a lead story.

All of this is mostly BS anyway.  Originally Alabama was identified...it’s on NOAA’s website to this day with those maps.  Alabama was later removed as the storm changed.  Bonehead either didn’t know that or kept going with what he originally heard....he was right it was originally on it, but it wasn’t later in the week and he should have stopped there.  A simple I made a mistake.  A simple I made a mistake by the press when they said Alabama was never a target was also in order, because that was also factually true...again, it is on the damn site to this day....but egos by the press and him wouldn’t budge. Two egos bashing back and forth.  The guy could cure cancer and they will hate on him.  The press could write 100% truth and he will bag on it.  That’s where we are and where we shall remain even when he is gone.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2019, 07:52:03 PM »
The guy could cure cancer and they will hate on him.  The press could write 100% truth and he will bag on it.  That’s where we are and where we shall remain even when he is gone.

Lol. You understand that a person would need to at least acknowledge the existence of “science” to have even a remote chance of doing that.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2019, 10:01:59 PM »
So Chico’s has decided to go along with the gaslighting. Not surprised.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2019, 10:32:43 PM »
The Fighting Harbaughs celebrated their huge home win over mighty Army as if they had just won the national title.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2019, 09:42:02 AM »
I don't think Michigan's struggles with Army should be some sort of indicator of larger problems.  Jeff Monken is a very good coach out of the Paul Johnson school of the triple option.  Very hard to coach against because teams rarely see it any longer.  They took Oklahoma to overtime last year and OU ended up in the national semifinals.

In two weeks, a "struggling" Michigan and "dominant" Wisconsin play at Madison.  It wouldn't surprise me in the least if those roles reverse.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2019, 10:22:18 AM »
Army is for real. As Fluffy points out, Monken is an excellent coach who, given the talent available to him, runs an old school option that would make Barry Switzer proud. The option relies on discipline and execution, fundamentals of the complete West Point experience.

The score was far more indicative of not Army's play but Michigan's continuing struggles with ball security.  You can't give up the ball that many times and expect to win. Michigan's offense needs to figure things out and they will - ball control, short yardage situations, and stupid penalties is fixable. And Michigan's offense has far too many weapons to remain stagnant. 

As usual, Don Brown's defense is exceptional.

Michigan will be fine and I expect a great season. But they do need to get their sh1t together.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2019, 10:43:43 AM »
The Fighting Harbaughs celebrated their huge home win over mighty Army as if they had just won the national title.

Well, it is as close as they will come to one.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2019, 11:14:47 AM »

The thing about Harbaugh is that he is a goofy guy. He is also one of the most genuine guys coaching a high major program in any sport.

Most importantly, Harbaugh really does care about his players. For those who don't know, that is the essence of leadership.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2019, 06:38:00 PM »
New offense looks pretty strong at LSU. Can they overtake Alabama in the west.

Florida State needed a miss extra point in overtime to beat UL Monroe.

Colorado comeback down 17-0 to beat Nebraska in overtime. Another trillier on FOX.

Weather delay make Cal/Washington start at 12:30am. Cal late field goal, upsets the Huskies.

Mack Brown's return has been excellent. 2-0 after a win over Miami.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2019, 11:01:31 PM »

Weather delay make Cal/Washington start at 12:30am. Cal late field goal, upsets the Huskies.

U Dub loses to Cal for the second year in a row. Stupid penalties, a porous run defense, and Eason looking very human spells defeat.

After racking up big numbers against Eastern WA Eason had zero vertical game.

U Dub will finish in the top 25 but any hopes for a big season like two years ago is gone.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2019, 08:20:20 AM »
I attended my first college game in years this past weekend and was reminded of two things:  1) college football and Saturdays on campus are fantastic; and 2) there are way too many commercials in college football.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2019, 09:25:21 AM »
I was at the big house Saturday with a bunch of West Point guys. Very strong Army presence throughout Ann Arbor. Really wish Army would’ve pull it off and even though they didn’t it was still tons of fun
Bring back FFP!!!

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2019, 09:55:52 AM »
I attended my first college game in years this past weekend and was reminded of two things:  1) college football and Saturdays on campus are fantastic; and 2) there are way too many commercials in college football.

A definitive American Experience is fall in a college town on a football weekend. One of our finer rituals as a tribe.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2019, 10:13:48 AM »
A definitive American Experience is fall in a college town on a football weekend. One of our finer rituals as a tribe.

I was very happy that my daughter really seemed to enjoy it.  She had previously bought tickets for only a couple games.  When we met up after the game -- she sat in the student section -- she said she was going to see if she can get tickets for more games.  Made me very happy.  And she's really pumped for basketball season.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2019, 10:17:39 AM »
I was at the big house Saturday with a bunch of West Point guys. Very strong Army presence throughout Ann Arbor. Really wish Army would’ve pull it off and even though they didn’t it was still tons of fun

As much as I love Marquette hoops, there is nothing that compares with home game Saturday at The Big House.

I saw that Army had a big contingent at the game which is fantastic. I also saw that LTG/Lt Gen Darryl Williams was in attendance. I knew DW when I was the CAS Chief for I Corps during OIF. DW is FA and was the fire and effects guy for one of the divisions.  Just a great guy and an exceptional officer. I'm not surprised he got three buttons.

One of the great moments on Saturday was that after an incredibly hard fought game the players from both teams gathered together in the end zone together and sang each other's fight song. Impressive.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2019, 10:17:53 AM »
A little surprised to see Michigan celebration after beating Army.  End of the day they are kids and I like to see kids celebrate, but I’m guessing it roiled some of the old school Michigander fans.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2019, 10:19:05 AM »
I was very happy that my daughter really seemed to enjoy it.  She had previously bought tickets for only a couple games.  When we met up after the game -- she sat in the student section -- she said she was going to see if she can get tickets for more games.  Made me very happy.  And she's really pumped for basketball season.

She's rooting for MU I trust?

Hoya Saxa!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2019, 10:22:25 AM »
Army is for real. As Fluffy points out, Monken is an excellent coach who, given the talent available to him, runs an old school option that would make Barry Switzer proud. The option relies on discipline and execution, fundamentals of the complete West Point experience.

The score was far more indicative of not Army's play but Michigan's continuing struggles with ball security.  You can't give up the ball that many times and expect to win. Michigan's offense needs to figure things out and they will - ball control, short yardage situations, and stupid penalties is fixable. And Michigan's offense has far too many weapons to remain stagnant. 

As usual, Don Brown's defense is exceptional.

Michigan will be fine and I expect a great season. But they do need to get their sh1t together.

Monken is the most underrated coach in America.  Brought Georgia Southern up to FBS from FCS and beat Florida in his last year.  Triple option isn't sexy, but its incredible the precision and discipline they play with on both sides of the ball.  They took Oklahoma to OT last year in Norman.  Incredible.  Don't see Navy winning the matchup as long as he's at West Point and Niumatalolo is in Annapolis.

As for Michigan, I think another problem is Patterson stinks.  I don't know if he'll be bad in perpetuity, but he's a far cry from the Heisman candidate he's been hyped to be.  Harbaugh is a good coach, but yet to be seen if Gattis can call a competent offense on his own.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2019, 10:26:21 AM »
A little surprised to see Michigan celebration after beating Army.  End of the day they are kids and I like to see kids celebrate, but I’m guessing it roiled some of the old school Michigander fans.

The celebration that was weird I saw (ACC Network), was Florida State winning on a missed extra point in overtime versus UL Monroe.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2019, 10:41:39 AM »
She's rooting for MU I trust?

Hoya Saxa!

The daughter at Purdue?  Yeah, I'd think so...except for the game against Purdue.  The daughter at Georgetown?  No, she roots for the Hoyas.  It makes for some fun wagering.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2019, 10:54:19 AM »
The daughter at Purdue?  Yeah, I'd think so...except for the game against Purdue.  The daughter at Georgetown?  No, she roots for the Hoyas.  It makes for some fun wagering.

My kid is upset because the Xavier-Seton Hall and Xavier-St. John's games over Christmas break are at Xavier and not road games that she can go see when home in Connecticut.
I will enjoy the family wagering also.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2019, 12:15:35 PM »

Not sure what you are referencing here. The Michigan players and band always head to the student section end zone after a win at The Big House where they sit on the wall to thank the students. This is a Big House tradition going back to Jerry Ford's time.

The Michigan players and staff were joined by the Army contingent where they sang each other's fight song and celebrated the joy of playing college football. It was a phenomenal demonstration of sportsmanship. Frankly, I believe the nation as a whole could learn from that.