[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: College Football is back  (Read 129083 times)

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
Re: College Football is back
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2019, 11:29:13 AM »
He will be good but the SEC West will make him look bad.

Bad loss for Oregon. PAC 12 has really fallen off.

Living in a sea of U Dubbers gives interesting perspective on just how bad things are in the Pac 12:

- The Loss cements the view that Cristobal is a great positions coach but a terrible head coach: the man does not know how to manage a game
- Phil Knight was on the sideline last night and the look on his face was not one of joy
- USC's struggles means more LA talent will come north to Eugene and Seattle
- Utah football follows the Majerus model by feasting on CA players
- Pullman Air Raid success sets up the Apple Cup as a prime time Thanksgiving contest 
- USC being down is worse than Ohio or Alabama being down - the lack of quality depth is magnified
- Sorry Huskies: Look where all the 4 and 5 stars from CA are actually headed: the Big 10 and SEC
- When does USC hire Urban?
_ Who gets fired first: Helton, Swann, or Larry Scott?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2019, 12:42:52 PM »
I don't know Pat Fitzgerald, but indications are he's a good guy, and he has been a decent coach.

But he embarrassed himself this past week, refusing to name a starting QB because he thought being mysterious gave his team some kind of advantage.

He ended up playing both QBs -- the starter was mediocre and then got hurt; the 5-star transfer sucked -- and Northwestern had just about no offense at all in getting beaten by a middle-of-the-pack team from a bad conference.

Refusing to name the starting QB ... that's high school crap. Fitting that his offense played like a high school team.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2019, 12:56:47 PM »
I don't know Pat Fitzgerald, but indications are he's a good guy, and he has been a decent coach.

But he embarrassed himself this past week, refusing to name a starting QB because he thought being mysterious gave his team some kind of advantage.

He ended up playing both QBs -- the starter was mediocre and then got hurt; the 5-star transfer sucked -- and Northwestern had just about no offense at all in getting beaten by a middle-of-the-pack team from a bad conference.

Refusing to name the starting QB ... that's high school crap. Fitting that his offense played like a high school team.

NU also lost their starting TB.  Stanford was ranked #25 going into the game. 

That said, Fitzgerald's teams always seem to start poorly.  To me, that means bad season/OOC game prep which you are alluding to....which I agree.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2019, 02:28:16 PM »

Not exactly unprecedented.

Doug Pedersen did it last year.
https://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/sports/national/pederson-refuses-to-name-starting-quarterback/article_7e2d1567-7fcc-53e1-a61b-c30e0247a99f.html

Nick Saban did it last year
https://deadspin.com/nick-saban-still-wont-clear-up-his-starting-quarterback-1828634780

And in 2016
https://tide1009.com/alabama-qb-battle-narrowed-down-to-2-heading-into-usc-game/

Mike Gundy did it this year.
http://studentunionsports.com/college-football/oklahoma-state-refuses-to-name-starting-quarterback/kmelton

Dirk Koetter did is last year.
https://sportsnaut.com/2018/09/buccaneers-refuse-to-name-starting-qb-for-week-4/

I'd imagine there are plenty of other instances.
That said, it seems Fitz and his coaching staff left their huevos in the Evanston. Some truly head-scratching, ultraconservative playcalls on offense, not the least of which was a QB draw on 3rd and 16 on the NU 44 with three minutes to play. Pretty much handed Stanford the game right there.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2019, 08:21:28 PM »
Fitz is about two decades outside his  coaching realm.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2019, 08:42:46 PM »
Seems like Jalen Hurts will run more in the Oklahoma offense.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2019, 08:46:01 PM »
Living in a sea of U Dubbers gives interesting perspective on just how bad things are in the Pac 12:

- The Loss cements the view that Cristobal is a great positions coach but a terrible head coach: the man does not know how to manage a game
- Phil Knight was on the sideline last night and the look on his face was not one of joy
- USC's struggles means more LA talent will come north to Eugene and Seattle
- Utah football follows the Majerus model by feasting on CA players
- Pullman Air Raid success sets up the Apple Cup as a prime time Thanksgiving contest 
- USC being down is worse than Ohio or Alabama being down - the lack of quality depth is magnified
- Sorry Huskies: Look where all the 4 and 5 stars from CA are actually headed: the Big 10 and SEC
- When does USC hire Urban?
_ Who gets fired first: Helton, Swann, or Larry Scott?

Apple Cup is a 3pm game on FOX or FS1.

As for USC. Not sure anyone wants to see Swann make the hire. JT Daniels out for the year. It will get ugly.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2019, 10:05:23 PM »
App State over Michigan....this date
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2019, 10:36:00 PM »
Not exactly unprecedented.

Doug Pedersen did it last year.
https://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/sports/national/pederson-refuses-to-name-starting-quarterback/article_7e2d1567-7fcc-53e1-a61b-c30e0247a99f.html

Nick Saban did it last year
https://deadspin.com/nick-saban-still-wont-clear-up-his-starting-quarterback-1828634780

And in 2016
https://tide1009.com/alabama-qb-battle-narrowed-down-to-2-heading-into-usc-game/

Mike Gundy did it this year.
http://studentunionsports.com/college-football/oklahoma-state-refuses-to-name-starting-quarterback/kmelton

Dirk Koetter did is last year.
https://sportsnaut.com/2018/09/buccaneers-refuse-to-name-starting-qb-for-week-4/

I'd imagine there are plenty of other instances.
That said, it seems Fitz and his coaching staff left their huevos in the Evanston. Some truly head-scratching, ultraconservative playcalls on offense, not the least of which was a QB draw on 3rd and 16 on the NU 44 with three minutes to play. Pretty much handed Stanford the game right there.

I never said it was unprecedented, Pakuni. It's always a high school move IMHO. Others are allowed different opinions.

Totally agree that Fitzgerald didn't cover himself in glory with his coaching decisions yesterday. My son and I couldn't believe that QB draw either.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2019, 01:05:30 PM »
App State over Michigan....this date

That was an awful day...But for some perspective:

All Time Wins:

Michigan:    954 (1st)

Indiana:      484 (101st)

Kansas:       584 (65th)

All Time Winning %:

Michigan:    .730 (1st)

Indiana:      .419 (121st)

Kansas:       .477 (103rd)

FBS National Championships:

Michigan:    11 (2nd)

Indiana:       0 (N/A)

Kansas         0 (N/A)

Weeks in Poll:

Michigan:    850 (2nd)

Indiana:        55 (72nd)

Kansas:       109 (64th)

Consensus All Americans:

Michigan:    83 (3rd)

Indiana:       7 (60th)

Kansas:        5 (65th)

Heisman Winners

Michigan:    3 (5th)

Indiana:      0 (N/A)

Kansas:       0 (N/A)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2019, 01:45:57 PM »
Michigan football?  Please.  My alma mater is undefeated since 1960. Top that
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2019, 01:59:40 PM »

They don't make them like Swede Johnston anymore!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marquette_Golden_Avalanche_football

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2019, 03:00:52 PM »

A Zag buddy has a T Shirt: Gonzaga Football - Undefeated Since 1941

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2019, 03:31:02 PM »
That was an awful day...But for some perspective:

All Time Wins:

Michigan:    954 (1st)

Indiana:      484 (101st)

Kansas:       584 (65th)

All Time Winning %:

Michigan:    .730 (1st)

Indiana:      .419 (121st)

Kansas:       .477 (103rd)

FBS National Championships:

Michigan:    11 (2nd)

Indiana:       0 (N/A)

Kansas         0 (N/A)

Weeks in Poll:

Michigan:    850 (2nd)

Indiana:        55 (72nd)

Kansas:       109 (64th)

Consensus All Americans:

Michigan:    83 (3rd)

Indiana:       7 (60th)

Kansas:        5 (65th)

Heisman Winners

Michigan:    3 (5th)

Indiana:      0 (N/A)

Kansas:       0 (N/A)

If it makes you feel good to compare to KU and IU football, something is seriously wrong.   ;D
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2019, 07:00:41 PM »
Big Saturday!
6 LSU at  9 Texas (ABC)

12 Texas A&M at 1 Clemson (ABC)

Army at 7 Michigan (FOX)

25 Nebraska at Colorado (FOX)

23 Stanford at USC (ESPN)

Cal at 14 Washington  (FS1)
-Bill Walton

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2019, 10:37:56 PM »
Our baby shower is tomorrow. I know I married well when the baby shower is going to smoothly transition into a TAMU/Clemson viewing party.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2019, 10:39:59 PM »
Our baby shower is tomorrow. I know I married well when the baby shower is going to smoothly transition into a TAMU/Clemson viewing party.

Congratulations to you and your growing family. 

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2019, 10:48:18 PM »

Congratulations. You're truly one of the best of us, even if A&M is gonna get rolled.  Wish you nothing but the best.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2019, 12:58:42 PM »
Army up on Michigan at the half.....

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2019, 01:20:40 PM »
Are they moving the New Mexico State @ Alabama game to a place unaffected by the hurricane?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2019, 01:21:16 PM »
Are they moving the New Mexico State @ Alabama game to a place unaffected by the hurricane?

Lol
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2019, 01:43:18 PM »

I thought we were supposed to believe everything NOAA says.  So confusing what we are supposed to believe or not.....  ;)

“From Wednesday, August 28, through Monday, September 2, the information provided by NOAA and the National Hurricane Center to President Trump and the wider public demonstrated that tropical-storm-force winds from Hurricane Dorian could impact Alabama," the statement read. "This is clearly demonstrated in Hurricane Advisories #15 through #41, which can be viewed on the center's website.
"The Birmingham National Weather Service's Sunday morning tweet spoke in absolute terms that were inconsistent with probabilities from the best forecast products available at the time."

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2019, 01:45:00 PM »
Dude seriously. We all know what happened here. Be smart.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2019, 01:46:03 PM »
Dude seriously. We all know what happened here. Be smart.

Lol yeah no kidding.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2019, 03:32:44 PM »
Yep - simple apology and the story would have died in a day.