[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Marquette and UCLA Agree to Home and Home  (Read 9860 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Marquette and UCLA Agree to Home and Home
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2019, 04:58:59 PM »
Another smart coach using the schedule to his advantage to get in front of the talent in the Milwaukee market. To Wojo’s credit he is at least is getting the consolation prize up front and it may help him with some Southern California talent. So net net a marriage of convenience or as they used to say in the old pre internet personals in NY magazine a Mutually Beneficial Relationship.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2019, 05:03:50 PM »
I will be very surprised if Baldwin or Foster end up UCLA.......time will tell.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2019, 05:06:19 PM »
I will be very surprised if Baldwin or Foster end up UCLA.......time will tell.

That’s my thought, too.  Still, it’s a good game for them and us, either way
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2019, 05:26:31 PM »
Add me to the bunch thinking this could be the end of the Wisconsin series.

• 20 Conference games
  • 4 Exempt Tourney games
  • 1 Gavitt Game
  • 1 Big 12 Challenge
  • 1 UCLA
That's 27 games. Now granted, the Gavitt might not be every year, and the exempt tourney will provide 1-2 cupcake level games, but that's still only 4 guarantee games on the schedule.

Considering that Wisconsin has commitments to the Gavitt & ACC Challenges, they are in a similar situation. Not sure the series makes sense going forward with 20 game conference schedules.

EDIT: According to Mike Broeker, the UW-Madison series will (at least for now) be continuing. It will be played on a different date next year as well.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 05:32:21 PM by brewcity77 »
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2019, 06:48:35 PM »
So I asked Mike Broeker directly about this when he responded to my Twitter concern that this might mean the end of the UW-Madison series. Here is his response:

Quote from: Mike Broeker
"We've been managing that series in two-year increments. See no reason why it won't continue for a long, long time."

In my opinion, that is bigger news than the UCLA announcement. UCLA is great because it indicates we are going to keep scheduling in the non-con at a high level, but knowing the plan is to keep Wisconsin for the long term is bigger because it means that the addition of UConn will tangibly improve the schedule. While that was always the hope, the general expectation in scheduling discussions has been that high-majors will simply schedule fewer quality non-con opponents as they go to 20 games in conference. Great news and great commitment from Marquette.

EDIT: Another change, Broeker emailed me that with the new legislation, exempt tournaments will likely count as 2 or 3 games instead of the 4 they are eligible to count as currently.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 06:55:31 PM by brewcity77 »

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2019, 06:57:20 PM »
As a fan, I’d be heartbroken if UW fell off the schedule.  That game is just a ton of fun to anticipate and watch.  I can’t think of a matchup that consistently gets me as emotionally charged as MU vs UW.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2019, 07:09:11 PM »
a Mutually Beneficial Relationship.

Billy Hilly?

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2019, 08:07:06 PM »
Now let's get a home and home with ND... or at least an alternate year game at the United Center or something!!!
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2019, 08:38:28 PM »
Playing Bucky has resulted in a vary reliable stream of bourbon from my BIL. Need to keep it that way.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2019, 08:45:52 PM »
So I asked Mike Broeker directly about this when he responded to my Twitter concern that this might mean the end of the UW-Madison series. Here is his response:

In my opinion, that is bigger news than the UCLA announcement. UCLA is great because it indicates we are going to keep scheduling in the non-con at a high level, but knowing the plan is to keep Wisconsin for the long term is bigger because it means that the addition of UConn will tangibly improve the schedule. While that was always the hope, the general expectation in scheduling discussions has been that high-majors will simply schedule fewer quality non-con opponents as they go to 20 games in conference. Great news and great commitment from Marquette.

EDIT: Another change, Broeker emailed me that with the new legislation, exempt tournaments will likely count as 2 or 3 games instead of the 4 they are eligible to count as currently.
The Badger game will always be on the schedule. The history is so long and realistically neither school has another traditional opponent.

Also the state shelled out big bucks for Fiserv and MU is Closely aligned with the state on the dental school so I don’t see either party messing with this game.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Class71

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2019, 06:06:03 AM »
I look forward to UCLA on the schedule. Just hope this does not turn into a Cinn. Vs Xavier type series.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2019, 07:05:36 AM »

Also the state shelled out big bucks for Fiserv and MU is Closely aligned with the state on the dental school so I don’t see either party messing with this game.

What? Do you honestly believe that's part of the conversation? If that series stopped, you think the governor will get on the phone to Dr. Lovell and threaten to yank funding for the dental school?

The games will continue because both schools rake in a crap ton of cash. Also, it keeps the donors happy. End of conversation.
Have some patience, FFS.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2019, 07:06:46 AM »
The Badger game will always be on the schedule. The history is so long and realistically neither school has another traditional opponent.

None of this is really relevant. The simple reality is as scheduling changes, there will almost certainly be significant rivalries that go away. Cincinnati/Xavier? Illinois/Missouri? Kentucky/Louisville? Syracuse/Georgetown? Iowa/Iowa State?

It's simply about numbers and the shifts in how non-conference games are scheduled. If the basic format is 20 conference games, 3 exempt tournament games, 2 inter-conference challenge games, that brings the number to 25. There are only spots for 6 games left on the schedule. As recently as 4 years ago, Marquette was playing 8 buy-caliber games. Since the conference format went to 18 games, there has only been ONE occasion where Marquette didn't schedule at least 6 home games against low or mid-major schools.

With only 6 games to negotiate, rivalries that fanbases consider sacrosanct are going to go away. I'm glad there are no plans for Wisconsin to be one of those, but if there is a change in the athletic administration at either school, I'm sure it will be something that is looked into seriously. You still need to get to 20 wins.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2019, 08:31:48 AM »
Schedules will change, but I do not see any of those major rivalries going away....it is what the fans want and will demand.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2019, 08:36:47 AM »
Regarding the scheduling and total games numbers, I think what we are seeing is a shift within college basketball where the top six conferences are attempting to move away from the pack, not unlike the Power 5 in college football. 

Power conferences are moving towards twenty game conference seasons; what will be interesting to see, due to simple numbers, is how power conference teams will be treated versus mid/high-major programs that have the wins needed, but not necessarily against the power programs.  With UConn's move to the Big East, it only strengthened the perception of the BE, and severely hurt the image of the American; the AAC cannot move to the 20-conference games because of their ECU/Tulane/USF paradox.  Additionally, the "scheduling alliance" they own with the SEC sends the top four AAC teams to play the bottom four programs of the SEC; hardly a "win" for the AAC, and more of an added benefit for the SEC. 

It will be interesting to see how the committee sends teams to the tournament moving forward.  There will be plenty of #7/#8/#9 teams in a power conference that will have a loaded schedule, but perhaps only 18, 19 or 20 wins. 

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2019, 08:39:49 AM »

:o

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2019, 08:41:14 AM »
Regarding the scheduling and total games numbers, I think what we are seeing is a shift within college basketball where the top six conferences are attempting to move away from the pack, not unlike the Power 5 in college football. 

Power conferences are moving towards twenty game conference seasons; what will be interesting to see, due to simple numbers, is how power conference teams will be treated versus mid/high-major programs that have the wins needed, but not necessarily against the power programs.  With UConn's move to the Big East, it only strengthened the perception of the BE, and severely hurt the image of the American; the AAC cannot move to the 20-conference games because of their ECU/Tulane/USF paradox.  Additionally, the "scheduling alliance" they own with the SEC sends the top four AAC teams to play the bottom four programs of the SEC; hardly a "win" for the AAC, and more of an added benefit for the SEC. 

It will be interesting to see how the committee sends teams to the tournament moving forward.  There will be plenty of #7/#8/#9 teams in a power conference that will have a loaded schedule, but perhaps only 18, 19 or 20 wins.

Probably for another topic but the mid-majors are going to find it even more difficult to get at-large bids.  With fewer marquee matchups available, they’ll have even more difficult times scheduling major opponents.  There will be exceptions like Gonzaga but the days of the A-10 and Mountain West having seasons with 4-5 bids are probably over.
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2019, 08:56:33 AM »

Of course, the NCAA’s members could just vote to increase the number of games teams are allowed to play with an October start.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2019, 10:14:36 AM »
What recruit are we trying to sell the, "You'll get to go home and play in front of your family" story?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2019, 10:15:02 AM »
Probably for another topic but the mid-majors are going to find it even more difficult to get at-large bids.  With fewer marquee matchups available, they’ll have even more difficult times scheduling major opponents.  There will be exceptions like Gonzaga but the days of the A-10 and Mountain West having seasons with 4-5 bids are probably over.

Speaking of mid-majors,  Happy Birthday to Sister Jean!

Have some patience, FFS.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2019, 10:41:54 AM »
None of this is really relevant. The simple reality is as scheduling changes, there will almost certainly be significant rivalries that go away. Cincinnati/Xavier? Illinois/Missouri? Kentucky/Louisville? Syracuse/Georgetown? Iowa/Iowa State?

It's simply about numbers and the shifts in how non-conference games are scheduled. If the basic format is 20 conference games, 3 exempt tournament games, 2 inter-conference challenge games, that brings the number to 25. There are only spots for 6 games left on the schedule. As recently as 4 years ago, Marquette was playing 8 buy-caliber games. Since the conference format went to 18 games, there has only been ONE occasion where Marquette didn't schedule at least 6 home games against low or mid-major schools.

With only 6 games to negotiate, rivalries that fanbases consider sacrosanct are going to go away. I'm glad there are no plans for Wisconsin to be one of those, but if there is a change in the athletic administration at either school, I'm sure it will be something that is looked into seriously. You still need to get to 20 wins.

I just moved the daughter into Xavier last week.  Without asking, I heard multiple times from differing people on and off campus how much the game means to both schools and the city of Cincinnati.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2019, 10:52:17 AM »
My Xavier Grad cousin still has the shirt..

“Cincinnati.....#1 in the country......
#2 and n the city. GO X!”

Back when the natti was very good.

BossplayaOtto

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2019, 01:29:25 PM »
Of course, the NCAA’s members could just vote to increase the number of games teams are allowed to play with an October start.

This was my thought

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2019, 05:01:50 PM »
Me gusta

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2019, 05:19:46 PM »
I don't go to a lot of away games but there is a 99% chance I'm gonna go to this one.

feedback