[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

Who will be Marquette's top 5 players in 19-20? (Pick 5)

Dexter Akanno
7 (0.7%)
Sacar Anim
183 (18.2%)
Brendan Bailey
110 (10.9%)
Jamal Cain
20 (2%)
Greg Elliott
10 (1%)
Markus Howard
198 (19.7%)
Theo John
173 (17.2%)
Jayce Johnson
42 (4.2%)
Koby McEwen
150 (14.9%)
Ed Morrow
97 (9.6%)
Symir Torrence
16 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 202

Author Topic: Top 5 Players This Coming Season  (Read 9398 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Top 5 Players This Coming Season
« on: August 15, 2019, 01:15:31 PM »
I'm getting ready to write up Paint Touches' annual Top 50 Players in the Big East series. I take the top 5 players from each team and rank em 1-50. I'm having trouble nailing down who are top 5 players are this season. I have a good idea of the top 3, have a good guess for #4, but could see arguments for 5 different players for the 5th spot. So I've decided to trust the wisdom of the masses.

Who do y'all have as the top 5 players? Not necessarily the 5 starters but the 5 players who will bring the most value in the 19-20 season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Silent Verbal

• All American
Re: Top 5 Players This Coming Season
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 01:36:28 PM »
Saint God will obviously be our top player, and Sacar will play 30-35mpg with increased usage now that the Hausers are gone.  I didn’t watch any of the overseas games, but people were saying Jayce looked better than advertised, so I hope to be pleasantly surprised.  Morrow started looking more comfortable towards the end of last year and is a beast on the glass when he wants to be.  For my last pick, I waffled between John and BB before ultimately choosing the latter.  If BB can take the next step, he’ll definitely be top 5 for us.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 01:50:52 PM »
Markus, Koby, Sacar and Theo are my top 4. I selected Bailey as my 5th, but could easily see Ed in that mix.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 02:52:26 PM »
Markus, Koby, Sacar and Theo are my top 4. I selected Bailey as my 5th, but could easily see Ed in that mix.
I took Ed over Bailey, but I suspect Brendan is going to be an important piece of the puzzle.  Greg is also a real wild card at this point.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 02:57:03 PM »

I saw this much the same way.

Markus is a senior returning All-American. No debate, clear #1.

We haven't seen Koby in the Big East yet. But from watching him in four open practices over the past year, the rising junior looks like he's going to play a vital role for this team. I've got him at #2.

Sacar is a rock. Redshirt senior, willing to do whatever it takes to help Marquette win. His offense has been inconsistent -- but his outside shot's improved and he's widely considered the best defender on the team. History probably says #2 (at least in terms of court time), but I'll slot him as the #3 most valuable player.

I've got Theo at #4. This assumes that as a junior, he can cut down on fouls to stay on the court longer, become a stronger rebounder and continue to wreak havoc on opposing offenses as a dominant shot-blocker. Any offensive improvement would be a bonus.

#5? I considered at least 4 different players. You could make a good case for Ed Morrow, Brendan Bailey or Symir Torrence. But I'm going with Jayce Johnson. The grad transfer is our first legit 7-footer since Big Mac and is known for his D and rebounding. His play could determine just how good MU's defense is. Top 25? I think it's possible. I don't think Ed, Brendan or Symir have quite the same potential to impact a game.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 03:26:26 PM »
I went small with Markus, Koby, Sacar, Bailey and then Cain as my upset pick. Main reason is that I'm skeptical that two of Morrow, Theo and Jayce see the court together more than 5 min/game once the conference sched kicks in. If those three are essentially sharing one spot, it will be tough for any one of them to really stand out, and it will mean a ton of open minutes at the 4 for Bailey or Cain in a smallish lineup.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 03:49:25 PM »

My 5 are Howard, Anim, Morrow, Bailey, and Johnson.  Johnson was my last pick.

Some Background for two of my nagging Questions.  Since the H-Boys accounted for 31.8% for last year scoring (Sam 19.3% Joey 12.5%).

1)  What %  of that 31.8% do we have to replace  with this years 2 & 3 scorers to Keep on Truckin'.  50%?

2)  Who will be those 2 & 3 scorers after Markus? 
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 03:57:16 PM »

Some Background for two of my nagging Questions.  Since the H-Boys accounted for 31.8% for last year scoring (Sam 19.3% Joey 12.5%).

1)  What %  of that 31.8% do we have to replace  with this years 2 & 3 scorers to Keep on Truckin'.  50%?

Suspect the scoring will be more balanced after Markus as opposed to last season.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 03:58:27 PM »
My top four were 'no-brainers' to me:
Markus, Theo, Sacar & Ed.

Considered BB and Koby for 5 but ended up going with Jayce based upon his experience, performance at Utah and reports on him this summer.

(all 5 would have been easy prior to certain brothers doing a certain thing)

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 04:05:11 PM »
Suspect the scoring will be more balanced after Markus as opposed to last season.

No Doubt, but stat wise there will be a 2 & 3 scorers.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 04:17:35 PM »

1) I think 50% might be a little low but probably close. Maybe I would say low 60's%, but that's kind of picking nits. Spreading the ball around is a good thing, but outside of some of Joey's struggles, last year didn't really feel like the Hausers will just pulling with abandon. The team's got to know where the ball should end up when things break down.

2) I think this is Sacar and McEwen, with the chance for Bailey to challenge. Its so hard to have a big lead you in scoring unless the offense is designed to flow through them, and combined with the minutes question, I think the bigs would each project to struggle to score more than 7 ppg. (not that that's necessarily a problem)

A footnote to these questions is that I have real efficiency concerns about Morrow this season. IIRC, his belief he could play inside-outside was a big part of him transferring in initially. This year is setting up to see him potentially see big minutes at the 4, but I'm worried about him handling the ball away from the basket and/or trying to absorb a significant proportion of the Hauser's lost offensive production.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2019, 04:25:19 PM »
Really hoping Elliott is one of the five.  He  has a high IQ and seems like a leader.   He could make a huge difference this year. 

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2019, 04:27:11 PM »
1) I think 50% might be a little low but probably close. Maybe I would say low 60's%, but that's kind of picking nits. Spreading the ball around is a good thing, but outside of some of Joey's struggles, last year didn't really feel like the Hausers will just pulling with abandon. The team's got to know where the ball should end up when things break down.

2) I think this is Sacar and McEwen, with the chance for Bailey to challenge. Its so hard to have a big lead you in scoring unless the offense is designed to flow through them, and combined with the minutes question, I think the bigs would each project to struggle to score more than 7 ppg. (not that that's necessarily a problem)

A footnote to these questions is that I have real efficiency concerns about Morrow this season. IIRC, his belief he could play inside-outside was a big part of him transferring in initially. This year is setting up to see him potentially see big minutes at the 4, but I'm worried about him handling the ball away from the basket and/or trying to absorb a significant proportion of the Hauser's lost offensive production.

Thanks for your reply.  Its easy to see the concerns with Ed, but he looks so much more comfortable at the 4 and I'm hoping he has a big year.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2019, 04:32:04 PM »
What two a-holes left Markus off their ballots?    Please step forward and defend your position(s).
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2019, 05:59:32 PM »
What two a-holes left Markus off their ballots?    Please step forward and defend your position(s).

Beat me to it.
Have some patience, FFS.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2019, 06:39:29 PM »
1. Markus- All American
2. Sacar- Glue Guy who does everything at the minimum level of Good. Team oriented player.
3. Greg- Provided he is healthy. He uses his length to his advantage on defense  where he can be a game changer, loves to look for the open. Did well as a freshman in his role , playing with only one healthy hand. Coaches want him on the floor as much as possible.
4. Theo- A game changing Shot Blocker. A menace at the end of close games on defense.
5. Ed- When Healthy, he is a very strong defensive player who enables us to compete well against elite teams.

Kobe and Jayce- No rating until after non conference season.  Gives them time to make adjustment to team and the new league. Have heard too many stories over the years about guys dominating in practice and then when they got to the games there was nothing there. 
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2019, 06:47:23 PM »
1. Markus- All American
2. Sacar- Glue Guy who does everything at the minimum level of Good. Team oriented player.
3. Greg- Provided he is healthy. He uses his length to his advantage on defense  where he can be a game changer, loves to look for the open. Did well as a freshman in his role , playing with only one healthy hand. Coaches want him on the floor as much as possible.
4. Theo- A game changing Shot Blocker. A menace at the end of close games on defense.
5. Ed- When Healthy, he is a very strong defensive player who enables us to compete well against elite teams.

Kobe and Jayce- No rating until after non conference season.  Gives them time to make adjustment to team and the new league. Have heard too many stories over the years about guys dominating in practice and then when they got to the games there was nothing there.
Yah, but...  those guys have relevant history.  Might take a few games to shake the rust in Kobe’s case or to fit in re Jayce.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2019, 08:43:32 PM »
Lots of ??? after Markus and Sacar. Went with Theo, Ed and Brendan.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2019, 09:11:40 PM »
As it turns out, I picked the five leading vote-getters at the moment: Markus, Sacar, Theo, Koby, and Brendan. That is probably the first time in all the years I've participated in polls that I have bet the chalk.

Of course, that by no means that I will be correct. The odds that there will be surprises are good.

I was surprised by a couple of things in the voting. The first was that Ed was number 6, and only 10 votes behind BB. I just don't know what to think about Ed. There have been moments when he's ripped off an OR that I have just loved him, but his O is so limited I just could not put him into my top 5. The other thing that caught my eye was the appallingly low number of votes for the remaining members of the MI trio - Jamal & Gregg had just 16 votes BETWEEN them to be in the top five! That's kind of sad, considering the good things they've done - I'm hoping that come March, this will be the biggest goof in this voting. After a promising Frosh year Jamal was inconsistent, to say the least. GE has had a tough row to hoe, and I'm hoping he comes back to crack the top 5 in a big way.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2019, 09:59:41 PM »
I'd love to see breakout years for Jamal and Greg. They have all the length, quickness and athleticism in the world. Both have shown the potential to be strong, versatile defenders and good outside shooters. But Jamal needs to find his mojo. And Greg needs to stay healthy.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2019, 10:06:11 PM »
Sacar will be a man amongst boys. That’s how he is wired.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2019, 10:47:36 PM »
My top four were 'no-brainers' to me:
Markus, Theo, Sacar & Ed.

Agree.

Considered BB and Koby for 5 but ended up going with Jayce based upon his experience, performance at Utah and reports on him this summer.

I agree on the choices but went with BB since we've actually seen him in games, and I suspect he'll take a jump this year.  Koby *may* excel.  I'm hesitant (but hopeful) to gamble on Jayce ... Seems like summer hype.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2019, 11:54:25 PM »
Everyone LOOOOOOOOOOOVES koby. And so do I. But 3rd-4th best player this year? I hope so. But color me skeptical.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2019, 11:58:34 PM »
We won't know how Jayce fits in until we see him on the court. But I'm optimistic for a few reasons:

1) Jayce played against real competition.
KenPom rated the Pac-12 the #7 conference in the country. The A-10 was rated #10 during Joseph Chartouney's junior year -- and there's a big difference between the two.

Granted, the Pac-12 was nowhere near as strong last season as it was just four years ago. But Utah's strength of schedule was still a respectable #72 in the country last season, versus #147 for Fordham in 2017-18. Utah played 7 games against NCAA teams: Minnesota, Kentucky, Nevada, Washington (twice) and Oregon (twice).

2) Jayce played for a halfway decent team.
In relative terms, at least. Utah finished 3rd in the Pac-12 and ranked #109 overall by KenPom. Not bad for a team that lost 4 senior starters from an NIT runner-up squad in 2017-18 and started 3 freshman last season. That ranking is just behind Georgetown (#100) and ahead of DePaul (#118) in the Big East. And waaaaay ahead of #292 Fordham.

3) Jayce has shown steady improvement.
Each and every season, he's increased his minutes (12.3/16.8/21.9) and offensive rating (98.4/102.9/107.1) while reducing his turnover rate (22.6/18.7/17.0). Joseph's numbers at Fordham were far less consistent and efficient.

I have no idea whether Jayce will start. Or exactly what the offense will look like, for that matter. But it sure looks to me like MU got a quality big who will challenge Ed for playing time.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2019, 12:49:17 AM »
1. Marcus
2. Sacar
<very big distance>
3. BB
4. JJ
5. Ed

but Koby, Cain and Greg are all very close too.  I don't see Theo getting the minutes.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."