collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: College Non-Revenue sports article  (Read 1615 times)

shoothoops

• All American
College Non-Revenue sports article
« on: August 14, 2019, 04:20:11 PM »
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2019/08/12/ncaa-power-5-schools-steeply-raising-pay-non-revenue-sport-coaches/1946843001/

This article this week highlights just how difficult it is and keeps getting for non-power 5 schools such as Marquette to compete vs Power 5 in non-revenue sports.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 07:53:11 AM by shoothoops »

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Non-Revenue sports article
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 07:23:02 PM »
I thought this was gonna be about the USWNT
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 07:32:29 PM »

No agreement today in mediation, are they going to trial?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 10:06:36 AM »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: College Non-Revenue sports article
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 02:35:22 PM »
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2019/08/12/ncaa-power-5-schools-steeply-raising-pay-non-revenue-sport-coaches/1946843001/

This article this week highlights just how difficult it is and keeps getting for non-power 5 schools such as Marquette to compete vs Power 5 in non-revenue sports.

So what?

I know that sounds snarky, but is not meant towards you in any way. It is just my reaction to the article. And thanks for posting as it is an interesting subject.

The Yankees/Dodgers/Red Sox pay more for players than almost every other team. Is that fair. That's just life in the business sports world.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 05:26:28 PM »

So what?

I know that sounds snarky, but is not meant towards you in any way. It is just my reaction to the article. And thanks for posting as it is an interesting subject.

The Yankees/Dodgers/Red Sox pay more for players than almost every other team. Is that fair. That's just life in the business sports world.

With relation to Marquette, the Power 5 have been increasing money spent in non-revenue  sports, especially coaches. It makes it that much harder for schools like Marquette to compete at the highest levels in those sports. Marquette has lost a few non-revenue coaches recently.  Million dollar baseball coaches, half million dollar softball coaches etc...have rapidly been becoming the norm in recent years.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 06:15:27 PM »

So what?

It’s also why the NFL is the most beloved sport and passed by MLB a number of years ago because the little Green Bay Packers have the same bucket of money the NY Giants have.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 01:26:11 AM »
Some of these non revenue sports actually create revenue depending on how you do the accounting. Number of Players on team less scholarships equals a certain number of full tuition payers.  A lot of the equipment and uniforms is funded by sponsors etc . In certain sports there are enough eyeballs to sell meaningful advertising against which gets figured into the media deals. For example, Girls softball has posted some very decent numbers for a long time.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire