collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Real MLB Thread  (Read 187316 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Re: Real MLB Thread
« Reply #975 on: October 14, 2019, 07:08:32 AM »
So, Correa had himself a game.      Will St. Louis be able to take the curse off their bats on the road?   You know, baseball.

St. Louis couldn't ask for much more from Mikolas or Wainwright. Before leaving Wainwright in the game a batter too long and not guarding the line in a one run 8th inning game, he had gone 15 playoff innings, 1 run, 19 K's. In their 3 Atlanta wins their team provided offense and in the two losses they did not. The bad news for Flaherty today is he received top 5 worst league run supoort this year. The good news for him s he had 13 his last start. .....Baseball. Stl native Scherzer was lit up for 5 runs in 6 plus innings v Stl a few weeks ago but he was great the other day. Same for Strasburg. St. Louis will have to take 2 of 3 to keep it going. We'll see. 

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #976 on: October 14, 2019, 08:22:16 AM »
I had to go to bed. These 5 hours games are too much.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #977 on: October 14, 2019, 11:18:03 AM »
Kapler is one of the 2 finalists for the Cubs job. Astros bench coach Espada is the other finalist and is interviewing today. As a Brewers fan, I may break a finger crossing them so hard hoping they hire Kapler.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #978 on: October 14, 2019, 12:33:50 PM »
Kapler is one of the 2 finalists for the Cubs job. Astros bench coach Espada is the other finalist and is interviewing today. As a Brewers fan, I may break a finger crossing them so hard hoping they hire Kapler.

Reread the ESPN article, kin.  Those 2 are last of the 6 finalists to interview.

Ross, Loretta, girardi and 1 other dude already interviewed.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #979 on: October 14, 2019, 12:54:34 PM »
Reread the ESPN article, kin.  Those 2 are last of the 6 finalists to interview.

Ross, Loretta, girardi and 1 other dude already interviewed.

Misread the meaning of final two candidates in the tweet. I appreciate the correction.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #980 on: October 14, 2019, 01:39:20 PM »
I would be a little bit surprised if the Cubs did not hire Ross or Loretta.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #981 on: October 14, 2019, 03:24:09 PM »
I would be a little bit surprised if the Cubs did not hire Ross or Loretta.

Majority of fans seem to want Ross.

He might be an excellent manager. Or not. We'll see!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #982 on: October 14, 2019, 04:30:43 PM »
Misread the meaning of final two candidates in the tweet. I appreciate the correction.

TBF, ESPN's wording was poor.

But still....sucka! Lol

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #983 on: October 14, 2019, 07:43:37 PM »
St. Louis couldn't ask for much more from Mikolas or Wainwright. Before leaving Wainwright in the game a batter too long and not guarding the line in a one run 8th inning game, he had gone 15 playoff innings, 1 run, 19 K's. In their 3 Atlanta wins their team provided offense and in the two losses they did not. The bad news for Flaherty today is he received top 5 worst league run supoort this year. The good news for him s he had 13 his last start. .....Baseball. Stl native Scherzer was lit up for 5 runs in 6 plus innings v Stl a few weeks ago but he was great the other day. Same for Strasburg. St. Louis will have to take 2 of 3 to keep it going. We'll see.
Yeah, nothing against him personally, but I'll be glad when he finally retires.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #984 on: October 15, 2019, 10:20:08 PM »
Congrats to the Nats.

I really like their "story" -- very good team for several years that kept finding ways to lose in the postseason (or even to miss it entirely). Their franchise player doesn't just leave, but he goes to a division rival. The rival misses the playoffs while the Nats go to the World Series without him. That's pretty cool.

They now will be able to line up their pitching, and they will not be an easy team for the Astros or Yankees to beat.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #985 on: October 16, 2019, 05:19:56 AM »
Long layoffs in the playoffs are not your friend.   Tiger fan.

Scherzer versus Verlander?  I may swear a few times.   Also Tiger fan.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 05:30:27 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #986 on: October 16, 2019, 06:25:05 AM »
Congrats to the Nats. They were an inning or so from being eliminated by Milwaukee and L.A. They didn’t make many mistakes.

Poorly played series from Stl. 44% of their outs were K’s, often expanding the zone swinging. Some missed opportunities, especially game one, a bit of bad luck (some of the AB’s v Flaherty) .....they scored 26 runs in 5 games v Atlanta, but only a fraction of that v Wash.

The Cardinals have publicly admitted a rare missed opportunity not signing Scherzer in his last contract. It wasn’t a secret he was open to pitching there but it was a big contract at the time. He has outperformed his contract in terms of baseball $.

Any team can and does win in the playoffs. Anything can and does happen. No surprises if any of the 3 remaining teams win it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #987 on: October 16, 2019, 10:41:21 AM »
Maddon officially to Angels.

Like all managers, he needs to have talented players to win. But if the Angels give him enough to work with, I'd be surprised if he doesn't do a very good job.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #988 on: October 16, 2019, 10:50:45 AM »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #989 on: October 16, 2019, 01:28:31 PM »
Happy to see the Cardinals go out.

I saw a tweet that had Counsell as the fifth longest tenured manager in MLB. I was shocked.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #990 on: October 16, 2019, 03:25:08 PM »
Maddon officially to Angels.

Like all managers, he needs to have talented players to win. But if the Angels give him enough to work with, I'd be surprised if he doesn't do a very good job.

If the MLB has any integrity, Joe will be dealing with organizational punishment.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #991 on: October 16, 2019, 03:30:28 PM »
If the MLB has any integrity, Joe will be dealing with organizational punishment.

True enough. Some bad stuff going on in Anaheim.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #992 on: October 16, 2019, 03:46:19 PM »
True enough. Some bad stuff going on in Anaheim.

Good to see judge and jury have weighed in.  Maybe we can wait on how the investigation completes itself.

Kay was there when I was, and he is not exactly the best witness, with reasons to potentially protect himself who is also an addict.

Tim Mead, also there when I was, now President of the Hall of Fame, I honestly have NEVER heard anyone, EVER question his integrity, honesty, etc.  Mead said no such conversations happened about Skaggs with Kay. 

So let’s see how the investigation plays out.  If the org did know, they should be punished.  If they didn’t then they shouldn’t...so before we hang them let’s get all the info.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #993 on: October 16, 2019, 04:16:34 PM »
Joe Girardi just stepped down as manager of USA Baseball.  I think the Cubs may have just upgraded their manager. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #994 on: October 16, 2019, 04:20:50 PM »
Joe Girardi just stepped down as manager of USA Baseball.  I think the Cubs may have just upgraded their manager. 

Could be the Mets or Phillies too.

Anyway, the Phillies are also interested in Buck Showalter?  I mean come on...
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #995 on: October 16, 2019, 04:28:01 PM »
Good to see judge and jury have weighed in.  Maybe we can wait on how the investigation completes itself.

Kay was there when I was, and he is not exactly the best witness, with reasons to potentially protect himself who is also an addict.

Tim Mead, also there when I was, now President of the Hall of Fame, I honestly have NEVER heard anyone, EVER question his integrity, honesty, etc.  Mead said no such conversations happened about Skaggs with Kay. 

So let’s see how the investigation plays out.  If the org did know, they should be punished.  If they didn’t then they shouldn’t...so before we hang them let’s get all the info.

Is Kay not an employee of the LAA?  So if he knew about Skagg's drug use then apparently people within the organization knew of Skagg's drug use, given that he's in the organization, no?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #996 on: October 16, 2019, 04:55:10 PM »
We'll just wait for the other shoe to drop.  Squirmy.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 05:14:07 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #997 on: October 16, 2019, 05:10:36 PM »
Five years to judge, guys.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #998 on: October 18, 2019, 07:54:08 PM »
Is Kay not an employee of the LAA?  So if he knew about Skagg's drug use then apparently people within the organization knew of Skagg's drug use, given that he's in the organization, no?

He is currently on leave, and yes an employee.  The remarks he and his mother made were others in the organization knew.  Maybe they did.  If they did, they will have to pay a price.

What I struggle with is Tim Mead is one of those shirt of their back guys. Ironically, he helped out Kay to try and get sober.  If he was told by Kay that Skaggs was using, Mead had not only an ethical but fiduciary responsibility to the organization to do something about it.  Why on earth would he keep it to himself...not his style at all and not indicative in how he has acted for decades.  He would attempt to get him help, as well as protect the club's investment among other things.  Now, I could be completely wrong on this and something may come out that nails Mead or others, but for now this is where I struggle because I know Mead and his history.  If it were someone else, sure, but doesn't add up.  Could be that Kay is feeling the heat and trying to deflect for his role and his own continued addiction problems.  I don't know.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #999 on: October 18, 2019, 08:00:32 PM »
He is currently on leave, and yes an employee.  The remarks he and his mother made were others in the organization knew.  Maybe they did.  If they did, they will have to pay a price.

What I struggle with is Tim Mead is one of those shirt of their back guys. Ironically, he helped out Kay to try and get sober.  If he was told by Kay that Skaggs was using, Mead had not only an ethical but fiduciary responsibility to the organization to do something about it.  Why on earth would he keep it to himself...not his style at all and not indicative in how he has acted for decades.  He would attempt to get him help, as well as protect the club's investment among other things.  Now, I could be completely wrong on this and something may come out that nails Mead or others, but for now this is where I struggle because I know Mead and his history.  If it were someone else, sure, but doesn't add up.  Could be that Kay is feeling the heat and trying to deflect for his role and his own continued addiction problems.  I don't know.

I haven’t read everything about the situation, but didn’t Kay admit that he abused oxycodone with Skaggs? That doesn’t seem like he’s deflecting his role or addiction problems to me.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter