[Today at 12:21:27 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL Thread 2019-2020  (Read 317273 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: NFL Thread 2019-2020
« Reply #675 on: October 20, 2019, 07:27:19 PM »
I don't even know what the Bears are trying to do on offense.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #676 on: October 20, 2019, 07:33:38 PM »

Neither do they.

• All American
« Reply #677 on: October 20, 2019, 08:12:21 PM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #678 on: October 20, 2019, 08:37:22 PM »

I said this a couple weeks ago on here, the Bears have zero offensive identity. Name one thing they do well. I can’t either.

I’ve beat the Nagy is a fraud drum for over a year. He doesn’t gameplan well, mismanages the clock way too often, his adjustments are stubborn and predictable. By far though the biggest indictment on Nagy is he has done nothing to improve Mitch. Trubisky has regressed this year, Nagy has to own that.

The gadget plays and cute formations are all window dressing. Matt Nagy is not capable to be an NFL head coach.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #679 on: October 20, 2019, 08:46:50 PM »
In contrast, LeFleur has become much, much more comfortable calling games after the scripted portion of the game. Him and Rodgers are starting to click, and Rodgers is starting to look like his old self.

I’m not totally sold on the defense yet, though. Better than last year, but I don’t think they’re as good as they got hyped up from their first couple weeks.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

• All American
« Reply #680 on: October 20, 2019, 08:49:08 PM »
In contrast, LeFleur has become much, much more comfortable calling games after the scripted portion of the game. Him and Rodgers are starting to click, and Rodgers is starting to look like his old self.

I’m not totally sold on the defense yet, though. Better than last year, but I don’t think they’re as good as they got hyped up from their first couple weeks.

Yeah I agree on the defense. They weren’t great today.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #681 on: October 20, 2019, 08:58:14 PM »

They really need another big body along the D-line and a middle linebacker that will stuff the run.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #682 on: October 20, 2019, 09:03:55 PM »
Yeah I agree on the defense. They weren’t great today.

They admit to selling out for the pass rush, but they're really missing Savage deep. His career was off to a great start. They got picked on up the seams today.

Loving what we saw from the offense - they've won just about every type of game thus far.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #683 on: October 20, 2019, 09:56:53 PM »
I said this a couple weeks ago on here, the Bears have zero offensive identity. Name one thing they do well. I can’t either.

I’ve beat the Nagy is a fraud drum for over a year. He doesn’t gameplan well, mismanages the clock way too often, his adjustments are stubborn and predictable. By far though the biggest indictment on Nagy is he has done nothing to improve Mitch. Trubisky has regressed this year, Nagy has to own that.

The gadget plays and cute formations are all window dressing. Matt Nagy is not capable to be an NFL head coach.

Lowest run attempts in franchise history in a game that was close at halftime.  Montgomery had as many carries as the WRs. If Pace didn’t ream out Nagy post-game, Virginia might have.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/grizzly-detail/bears-make-history-in-loss-to-saints-563518311.html

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #684 on: October 20, 2019, 11:08:28 PM »
Anybody with better NFL intelligence than me comment on this:

https://twitter.com/DanDeYoung80/status/1186117065163313153?s=19

Are the receivers open?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #687 on: October 21, 2019, 07:33:14 AM »
There is nothing more damaging to an NFL franchise than being wrong about the QB it drafts high in the first round.

It can set a franchise back years, maybe even a decade.

The mistake gets even worse if the franchise traded up to make the pick.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #688 on: October 21, 2019, 08:42:53 AM »
I don't know how much more development Trubisky has left. Every couple of games he'll make a pass that reminds you why he was drafted where he was, but not enough to make you believe that he can do it full time.

If I were a Bears fan, I'd be more worried about Nagy. He runs the ball with less dedication than his mentor, but more importantly, he seems painfully unaware of what type and character of football team he has. You look at what Lafleur is doing with Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams, and there's no excuse that Cohen and Montgomery are not being used as creatively. The Bears should be playing possession football.

If play calling were just a bit more imaginative and adaptable, and you had a quarterback even of Nick Foles caliber, this would be a contending team.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #689 on: October 21, 2019, 09:15:20 AM »
No excuses, Bears just aren’t very good but man do I hate losing to Sean Payton.

Dude is such an ass
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 09:22:29 AM by ChitownSpaceForRent »

• All American
« Reply #690 on: October 21, 2019, 09:19:45 AM »
If the Bears don't bounce back this season, they SHOULD cut ties with Nagy.  But what is more likely is that they will make Helfrich the sacrificial lamb.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #691 on: October 21, 2019, 09:35:23 AM »
If the Bears don't bounce back this season, they SHOULD cut ties with Nagy.  But what is more likely is that they will make Helfrich the sacrificial lamb.

Agreed. I always say the most important thing an organization needs is self-awareness. Whatever window the Bears may have is going to get slammed shut fast. The McCaskey's don't have the moxy to make quick changes like that though.

While Nagy and Trubisky should be hung out to dry today, their "vaunted" defense did not show up at all yesterday, they got trucked for the second straight week. Whatever is going on with Roquan Smith, he was brutal yesterday.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #692 on: October 21, 2019, 09:44:23 AM »

Desperately need Savage back.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #693 on: October 21, 2019, 10:56:11 AM »
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/21/deshaun-watsons-pre-draft-comments-get-new-life/

Before the 2017 draft, Clemson coach Dabo Swinney said that passing on quarterback Deshaun Watson would be the equivalent of passing on Michael Jordan. The Bears nevertheless rolled the dice on the quarterback from Jordan’s college.

And they possibly passed on both Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson.

Trubisky’s latest performance apparently sparked the dusting off of comments made by Watson in the days prior to the 2017 draft, regarding the notion of taking Trubisky before Watson. Our tweet from April 2017 containing Watson’s quotes has resurfaced.

“You’re gonna have to live with the consequences that come with it,” Watson said told NFL Network regarding a decision to draft Trubisky over Watson. “That’s how I see it. I try to stay in my lane. I try not to take the path. I respect Mitch and what he’s done and all the hype he’s getting, but at the same time, my result speaks for itself. I feel like I’ve accomplished everything that I could. I guess if that’s who they’re gonna roll with, so be it.”

Watson starred at Clemson, in the same conference as Trubisky’s North Carolina.

“It’s like a slap in the face, to be honest,” Watson separately told Josina Anderson of ESPN as to the prospect of Trubisky being the first quarterback drafted. “You see all the things I’ve accomplished, it’s a long list, and they want to talk about the little negatives I have and bring somebody else up? It’s a little disrespectful.”

History has proven Watson to be accurate. Although Trubisky showed promise in 2018, this year has gone poorly for Trubisky and the Chicago offense. While it may still improve, there’s a growing sense that Trubisky will never measure up to Watson or Patrick Mahomes, both of whom were taken after Trubisky.

That’s not a knock on Trubisky. He didn’t draft himself before Watson; the Bears did. To make matters worse, the Bears traded up a spot to get Trubisky.

Those dynamics place even more pressure on Trubisky to live up to the early-career performances of guys like Watson and Mahomes. Although Watson may not be one to say “I told you so,” he doesn’t need to.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #694 on: October 21, 2019, 11:07:27 AM »
Mahomes has what it takes to be a top-20 QB all time. Watson, I feel less certain about but I do think he'll have a long, outstanding career. At this point, they do everything considerably better than Trubisky does. Everything.

It's easy to have 20/20 hindsight, but having seen Trubisky a good deal during his time at UNC, I was quite surprised when I saw the early draft projections of him even being a first-rounder. Obviously, as he kept moving up the board, I allowed that I could have been missing something that NFL scouts were seeing, as I'm no expert on all the "measurables."

As I said earlier, this decision could set the Bears back years if he somehow doesn't "find" it.

That said, guys like Bradshaw, Staubach, Young, even Elway, took a couple/few years to refine their raw talent. Maybe there's hope for Mitch. Or maybe, rather than Steve Young, he's Vince Young.

• All American
« Reply #695 on: October 21, 2019, 11:15:43 AM »
That said, guys like Bradshaw, Staubach, Young, even Elway, took a couple/few years to refine their raw talent. Maybe there's hope for Mitch. Or maybe, rather than Steve Young, he's Vince Young.

So the most recent example you could come up with is a guy who rebounded his career over 25 years ago?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #696 on: October 21, 2019, 11:21:55 AM »

So the most recent example you could come up with is a guy who rebounded his career over 25 years ago?

Well, those were just top of my head guys. But honestly, while I can think of plenty of guys who were later bloomers for a variety of reasons (Rodgers stuck behind Favre, Brees not getting a fair shot early, etc), it isn't easy to think of high No. 1 picks who sucked early but then actually went on to be studs.

There have been a lot more Vince Youngs, David Klinglers, Ryan Leafs and JaMarcus Russells than Jim Plunketts and Terry Bradshaws.

Which doesn't bode as well for the Bears, I suppose.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #697 on: October 21, 2019, 11:27:23 AM »
it isn't easy to think of high No. 1 picks who sucked early but then actually went on to be studs.

How about Big Ben, Luck or Eli? 

Or is Trubisky the next Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota or Blake Bortals?
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

• All American
« Reply #698 on: October 21, 2019, 11:37:31 AM »
How about Big Ben, Luck or Eli? 

Eli has never been a stud.  He's been good, very good at times, but is going to make the Hall of Fame primarily on accumulation stats and where he played.  That being said, that is probably the best people can hope for from Mitch.  But he's not close to there yet.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #699 on: October 21, 2019, 11:59:45 AM »
Anyone who watched GB and then the Bears got an easy lesson why Trubisky is just a poor man’s Tim Tebow.

How many times did AR scan the entire field before scoring? And how many times did MT lock on one receiver from the snap to the throw?

feedback