[Today at 09:54:20 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PointWarrior
[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL Thread 2019-2020  (Read 318023 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: NFL Thread 2019-2020
« Reply #1325 on: December 03, 2019, 08:11:22 AM »
This quote from Ron Rivera's press conference yesterday, the day after the Panthers' 4th straight loss -- and the third loss this season in which they were 1 yard away from a potential tying or go-ahead TD in the final minute -- is pretty poignant:

“Every loss you take personal. I take it personally because I felt like I let a lot of people down. Do I sleep well? No, I don’t. Do I think about things? Absolutely. Do I know how I get to work in the morning after a loss? No. All I know is I got in my car and next thing I know I’m at the stadium. Every one of them grinds me. That’s just the way it is because I feel responsible.”

Every coach of every sport at every level has experienced at least some of those emotions, and every coach of a losing team has experienced them all.

Adding to Rivera's angst is that he in all likelihood knows he will be fired after the season. I actually like Rivera, but it's probably time for a change.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1326 on: December 03, 2019, 08:12:41 AM »
So the Packers only need to beat the three teams .500 and below remaining on their schedule to win the division - regardless of how they do against the Vikings.

Which means they will likely host a NFC Wild Card game against....the Vikings.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1327 on: December 03, 2019, 09:26:56 AM »
So the Packers only need to beat the three teams .500 and below remaining on their schedule to win the division - regardless of how they do against the Vikings.

The NFC playoffs are going to be a bloodbath. If you're not going to get a bye week, might be worth gunning for the 5th seed to play the NFC East.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1328 on: December 03, 2019, 09:32:26 AM »
The Lions have done a near infinite amount of stupid stuff over the years.   Not signing Kaepernick is just the most recent stupid thing.   Although, being the Lions, something stupider will happen next week to make everyone forget this week's stupid.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1329 on: December 03, 2019, 10:15:11 AM »

Yep. Really need to win that game @ Minnesota and get the bye. Unfortunately I don't think they will.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1330 on: December 03, 2019, 11:08:16 AM »
The Lions have done a near infinite amount of stupid stuff over the years.   Not signing Kaepernick is just the most recent stupid thing.   Although, being the Lions, something stupider will happen next week to make everyone forget this week's stupid.

don't get me started. Though they have to look at the fact that they are slowly backing their way into one of the top three picks, and depending on who Cincy goes with at #1 and who could be ahead of them it could land them Chase Young, Kaep would probably win a game or two for them.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1331 on: December 03, 2019, 02:11:26 PM »
Ron Rivera fired.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1332 on: December 03, 2019, 02:33:01 PM »
Ron Rivera fired.

Yep. Just saw that.

https://www.panthers.com/news/carolina-panthers-part-ways-with-head-coach-ron-rivera

I thought he sounded especially introspective during his weekly Monday press conference. Knowing what we just learned, and reading it again, he sounded like a guy who already knew he was gone and said as much as he could without saying all of it.

I actually like this move by Tepper. It shows compassion. You're gonna fire the man, do it. Don't make him twist in the wind, answering reporters' questions, trying to put on a happy face for another month. That's what the previous Panthers regime did to John Fox. It was very unprofessional.

Plus, this lets the organization start planning for the future. Hopefully they will be ready to hire the best candidate out there as soon after the season as possible.

I didn't "know" Rivera but I spoke with him many times during his years as Lovie's defensive coordinator. Always liked his candor. I can see why players like him -- very much a player's coach. He will get another job very quickly, as a coordinator if not as a head coach, and I'll be surprised if he's not a head coach again in the not-too-distant future. He'd be good on TV, too.

Only time will tell if ...

Panthers better without Rivera..................................

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1333 on: December 03, 2019, 03:21:38 PM »
Yep. Just saw that.

https://www.panthers.com/news/carolina-panthers-part-ways-with-head-coach-ron-rivera

I thought he sounded especially introspective during his weekly Monday press conference. Knowing what we just learned, and reading it again, he sounded like a guy who already knew he was gone and said as much as he could without saying all of it.

I actually like this move by Tepper. It shows compassion. You're gonna fire the man, do it. Don't make him twist in the wind, answering reporters' questions, trying to put on a happy face for another month. That's what the previous Panthers regime did to John Fox. It was very unprofessional.

Plus, this lets the organization start planning for the future. Hopefully they will be ready to hire the best candidate out there as soon after the season as possible.

I didn't "know" Rivera but I spoke with him many times during his years as Lovie's defensive coordinator. Always liked his candor. I can see why players like him -- very much a player's coach. He will get another job very quickly, as a coordinator if not as a head coach, and I'll be surprised if he's not a head coach again in the not-too-distant future. He'd be good on TV, too.

Only time will tell if ...

Panthers better without Rivera..................................

Imagine how different things could have been if he'd started Kyle Allen week one.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1334 on: December 03, 2019, 03:53:40 PM »
Congrats to new Panthers coach Mike McCarthy

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1335 on: December 03, 2019, 04:11:18 PM »
Panthers better off without Cam....
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

• All American
« Reply #1336 on: December 03, 2019, 04:14:16 PM »
Congrats to new Panthers coach Mike McCarthy

Still saying Atlanta.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1337 on: December 03, 2019, 04:20:09 PM »
This is interesting .. current odds for next Panthers coach. I can't see any of these guys outside Roman and LaFleur.

Jim Harbaugh 3/1
Jason Garrett 5/1
Josh McDaniels 11/2
Dan Quinn, Urban Meyer 6/1       
Greg Roman, Mike LaFleur                 12/1
Jay Gruden 14/1
Doug Marrone 16/1
Pat Shurmur 18/1
Doug Pederson 20/1
Bill Cowher 100/1

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1338 on: December 03, 2019, 05:16:59 PM »
This is interesting .. current odds for next Panthers coach. I can't see any of these guys outside Roman and LaFleur.

Jim Harbaugh 3/1
Jason Garrett 5/1
Josh McDaniels 11/2
Jay Gruden 14/1
Doug Marrone 16/1
Pat Shurmur 18/1
Doug Pederson 20/1
Bill Cowher 100/1

A whole lot of failing upward in that list.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1339 on: December 03, 2019, 06:52:53 PM »

Jim Harbaugh 3/1
Jason Garrett 5/1
Josh McDaniels 11/2
Jay Gruden 14/1
Doug Marrone 16/1
Pat Shurmur 18/1
Doug Pederson 20/1
Bill Cowher 100/1

Ugh

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1340 on: December 03, 2019, 07:11:20 PM »

Jim Harbaugh 3/1
Jason Garrett 5/1
Josh McDaniels 11/2
Jay Gruden 14/1
Doug Marrone 16/1
Pat Shurmur 18/1
Doug Pederson 20/1
Bill Cowher 100/1

last year was all about finding the next Sean McVay. Is there an HC out there right now everyone with an opening will want to find a clone of this year?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1341 on: December 03, 2019, 07:13:52 PM »
Matt Patricia
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1342 on: December 03, 2019, 10:14:40 PM »
Matt Patricia

He said clone. Not clown.

;D

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1343 on: December 04, 2019, 06:52:44 AM »

Ugh

I’ll bet good money it is NOT Harbaugh.  He’s not leaving Michigan
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1344 on: December 04, 2019, 07:54:55 AM »
Greg Olsen tweet:

“On the day I was traded to the @Panthers in 2011, every player who played for Ron in Chicago said the same thing to me on my way out: ‘You are going to play for a great coach, but a better man.’ I am so proud to have shared this 9 yr journey together with you @RiverboatRonHC.”

Classy.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1345 on: December 04, 2019, 08:42:11 AM »
Rivera took over a team that went 2-14 the year before he arrived. First 7 years included 4 playoff berths, 3 division titles and a Super Bowl appearance. Also very active in the community, helped raise millions of dollars for hurricane victims.

“I really believe it was my responsibility to this organization and this community. My dad gave me a lesson in leadership when I first got the job. He said, ‘Ronnie – you’re the leader. And if all hell breaks loose, they are going to need you. You have to be steady, you have to be calm.’

"My dad got the bronze star in Vietnam for his actions during an attack. He was the only officer present during this attack, and he stepped up and led. I’ve always tried to remember that I had a responsibility to lead and be the same guy all the time.

“Great years. I absolutely enjoyed it. So many fond memories. I just think back to how much fun we had and how great it really was.”

Classy.

With a few notable exceptions, coaching stints have expiration dates. Even successful ones like Phil Jackson said change is good, both for the organization and the coach. It probably was time for Rivera to move on, but some team is gonna get a pretty darn good football coach. I hope the Panthers can get somebody as solid as Ron Rivera to replace him.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 10:00:30 AM by MU82 »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1346 on: December 04, 2019, 09:32:17 AM »
He said clone. Not clown.

;D

Fact.   Detroit would take Rivera in a nano second.

• All American
« Reply #1347 on: December 04, 2019, 09:43:59 AM »
Fact.   Detroit would take Rivera in a nano second.

Are they thinking of dropping Patricia already?  They seem to be the kings of firing coaches one or two years after everybody thinks they should.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1348 on: December 04, 2019, 11:26:41 AM »

Are they thinking of dropping Patricia already?  They seem to be the kings of firing coaches one or two years after everybody thinks they should.

I don't know.   He is the handpicked coach of the GM and from the same New England tree.    My gut says he gets one more year.     The local media want him gone, pointing out that his predecessor got fired for winning 9 games his last season and the Lions haven't even come close to that the last two seasons.    Supposedly a defensive genius, and the defense is a sieve. 

I would take Rivera.   I don't like Harbaugh.    But if I were a betting man, I would put a tiny bit of money on one more year.   

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1349 on: December 04, 2019, 11:58:43 AM »
I don't know.   He is the handpicked coach of the GM and from the same New England tree.    My gut says he gets one more year.     The local media want him gone, pointing out that his predecessor got fired for winning 9 games his last season and the Lions haven't even come close to that the last two seasons.    Supposedly a defensive genius, and the defense is a sieve. 

I would take Rivera.   I don't like Harbaugh.    But if I were a betting man, I would put a tiny bit of money on one more year.   

5 years to judge?

feedback