[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: MU Mock Draft Prospects  (Read 56975 times)

MuMark

• All American
Re: MU Mock Draft Prospects
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2019, 06:47:53 PM »
To say " The Bucks play defense .....I guess" is so under rating the Bucks that it's almost laughable.

When you are playing defense against the skill and athleticism of NBA players you can do everything right and guys will still score a high percentage of the time.

Anybody who thinks the defense in college is better then the NBA is out of their friggin mind.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2019, 07:30:52 PM »
#watchesthebucksnever   ::)

Ok, so the Bucks on D but flip the argument around. How many times does Giannis suck every single player on the other team into the lane and every single other Buck is wide open on the perimeter.  I can see both sides of it. Certainly I agree defenders are much better and way longer in the NBA but Markus as a stand still spot up shooter would be deadly.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 07:50:33 AM by Strokin 3s »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2019, 07:46:56 PM »
To say " The Bucks play defense .....I guess" is so under rating the Bucks that it's almost laughable.

When you are playing defense against the skill and athleticism of NBA players you can do everything right and guys will still score a high percentage of the time.

Anybody who thinks the defense in college is better then the NBA is out of their friggin mind.

Yup.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2019, 08:45:36 PM »
2020 Mock Draft as of 7/17/19

47. Markus Howard

https://www.nbadraft.net/2020mock_draft

I think Markus is great but he will go undrafted. I would be surprised if he is on an roster during the season and will likely play in Europe.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2019, 08:58:02 PM »
For better or worse....I think we will see more Rowsey like deeeeep 3s to give scouts something more to think about.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2019, 10:33:28 PM »
The rest of the league. I’m unimpressed.

How do you know if you hardly ever watch NBA basketball?

But back on topic ...

An NBA team might be interested in a guy who can spread the court as a spot-up 3 shooter. Markus is only 2 inches shorter than the rail-thin Davante Graham, who is surprisingly lighting it up for the Hornets this season. Could be Craig Hodges 2.0.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2019, 10:49:39 PM »
I think Markus is great but he will go undrafted. I would be surprised if he is on an roster during the season and will likely play in Europe.

He will get drafted and will be in the NBA next season

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2019, 12:37:41 AM »
Only first team all American to go undrafted was Novas Scottie Reynolds

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2019, 01:12:40 AM »
I see this as a Tim Tebow situation.  Great college player and that’s where it ends. 

Although, I think Tebow was a winner.  He did well with the Broncos.

Not saying Markus isn’t a winner, but we’ve seen the evidence time and time again.  Put a 6’3 guard or taller on Markus and he’s just not as effective.

Hope I’m wrong

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2019, 09:08:45 AM »
I see this as a Tim Tebow situation.  Great college player and that’s where it ends. 

Although, I think Tebow was a winner.  He did well with the Broncos.

Not saying Markus isn’t a winner, but we’ve seen the evidence time and time again.  Put a 6’3 guard or taller on Markus and he’s just not as effective.

Hope I’m wrong

Tebow lucked into a few wins with the Broncos. Elway was so impressed that he couldn't wait to get rid of him. And other NFL GMs/coaches were so impressed that Tebow was out of the league shortly thereafter. Great college QB, though.

USC, Davidson, K-State (last season) and Buffalo -- among others -- all put taller, athletic guards on Markus.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2019, 09:25:40 AM »
For better or worse....I think we will see more Rowsey like deeeeep 3s to give scouts something more to think about.

That's fine if he is open and he makes > 40% of them.

source?

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2019, 10:35:38 AM »
How do you know if you hardly ever watch NBA basketball?

But back on topic ...

An NBA team might be interested in a guy who can spread the court as a spot-up 3 shooter. Markus is only 2 inches shorter than the rail-thin Davante Graham, who is surprisingly lighting it up for the Hornets this season. Could be Craig Hodges 2.0.

I see no conflict between the following two statements:

The only team I watch is the Bucks and they play good defense.

82 games a year I watch other teams attempt to play defense against Giannis and the Bucks and look terrible. Therefore, all other teams I've seen play poor defense.

Not saying it is accurate, but if the first statement is true then it could lead to a reasonable belief in the second.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2019, 11:56:30 AM »
I see no conflict between the following two statements:

The only team I watch is the Bucks and they play good defense.

82 games a year I watch other teams attempt to play defense against Giannis and the Bucks and look terrible. Therefore, all other teams I've seen play poor defense.

Not saying it is accurate, but if the first statement is true then it could lead to a reasonable belief in the second.

Fair.

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2019, 02:02:37 PM »
Somebody will draft Howard in the 2nd round. 

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2019, 04:14:11 PM »
Somebody will draft Howard in the 2nd round.

I agree.  Great character, and an elite shooting skill.  If he's 6'3" he's a lottery pick.  I'd personally like to see him land with the Bucks - think he'd thrive in their offense with all the focus on Giannis and their floor spacing with great shooters around the floor.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2019, 05:08:41 PM »
I'm going to agree with wades and say you also must not watch the NBA.

i do watch quite a bit of nba.  more than you guys?  who knows.  college focuses A LOT more on defense than the nba, right?  we just had quite a few posts with people chuckling when defense and nba are mentioned in the same sentence?  so if we agree that the defenses are tighter in college than the nba, how can you come to the conclusion that the 3 is guarded more closely in nba than college?  if that is your stance, then what? the nba does play defense but focuses more on the 3 than down low?  or do they play defense out high and down low?  wait, but the nba and defense are oxymorons.   yes the nba has better shooters, but ya can't have it both ways
don't...don't don't don't don't

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2019, 07:54:30 PM »
Put it this way.  If you took an "average" defensive player from the NBA and had him play his "average" defense (same effort level, same footwork, same everything he gives in your "average" mid December NBA game) on the best offensive player in college basketball (Markus?) the NBA defender absolutely shuts down the best college offensive player.

And put the absolute best college defender into your "average" mid December NBA game and he gets absolutely abused on the defensive side of the ball by just about anybody he tries to guard.

Honestly the whole "NBA players don't play defense/try on defense" is so lazy.  You simply aren't watching if you truly believe that.  The physicality, speed of the game, and shot making ability in the NBA is absolutely absurd.  Just because, unlike the college game, NBA players can handle the ball without turning it over and make open and oftentimes contested shots doesn't mean that the defense is bad.

Yes, there are players like James Harden who use that side of the ball to refuel so he can flop his way to the free throw line on the other side of the court.  But how is that any different than a guy like Andrew Rowsey?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2019, 08:51:02 PM »
Put it this way.  If you took an "average" defensive player from the NBA and had him play his "average" defense (same effort level, same footwork, same everything he gives in your "average" mid December NBA game) on the best offensive player in college basketball (Markus?) the NBA defender absolutely shuts down the best college offensive player.

And put the absolute best college defender into your "average" mid December NBA game and he gets absolutely abused on the defensive side of the ball by just about anybody he tries to guard.

Honestly the whole "NBA players don't play defense/try on defense" is so lazy.  You simply aren't watching if you truly believe that.  The physicality, speed of the game, and shot making ability in the NBA is absolutely absurd.  Just because, unlike the college game, NBA players can handle the ball without turning it over and make open and oftentimes contested shots doesn't mean that the defense is bad.

Yes, there are players like James Harden who use that side of the ball to refuel so he can flop his way to the free throw line on the other side of the court.  But how is that any different than a guy like Andrew Rowsey?

fine, but we are talking college vs college and nba vs nba.   not nba vs college.  i am saying college players vs college players-period.  the defense in the college game is as important as the offensive game.  maybe more.  we just got done laughing about nba defense.  of course the skill set of the "average" nba player is probably better than some of the "best" college players.   ya gotta stay in the same lane here wades. 

i'm just saying, the pressure from end to end, mano a mano, full court press, balls out basketball is in college.  ya snooze ya lose, ya miss an assignment(except if you're jh) you're riding the pines. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2019, 09:07:42 PM »
  fine, but we are talking college vs college and nba vs nba.   not nba vs college.  i am saying college players vs college players-period.  the defense in the college game is as important as the offensive game.  maybe more.  we just got done laughing about nba defense.  of course the skill set of the "average" nba player is probably better than some of the "best" college players.   ya gotta stay in the same lane here wades. 

i'm just saying, the pressure from end to end, mano a mano, full court press, balls out basketball is in college.  ya snooze ya lose, ya miss an assignment(except if you're jh) you're riding the pines.

Yeah. NBA teams don’t go balls to the walls press all game because pros can actually handle the basketball. If NBA teams did that they’d give up 200 points per game. Not because of lack of effort. But because NBA players are incredibly gifted.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2019, 09:57:31 PM »
  i do watch quite a bit of nba.  more than you guys?  who knows.  college focuses A LOT more on defense than the nba, right? 

No.

we just had quite a few posts with people chuckling when defense and nba are mentioned in the same sentence?  so if we agree that the defenses are tighter in college than the nba,

We don't.

how can you come to the conclusion that the 3 is guarded more closely in nba than college?  if that is your stance, then what? the nba does play defense but focuses more on the 3 than down low?  or do they play defense out high and down low?  wait, but the nba and defense are oxymorons.   yes the nba has better shooters, but ya can't have it both ways

This is word salad that is impossible to comprehend and therefore argue with.

AZMarqfan

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2019, 10:00:16 PM »
So has anyone stood next to him?  Since he’s listed at 5’11”, I’ve always assumed he was more like 5’9”. 

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2019, 10:05:33 PM »
So has anyone stood next to him?  Since he’s listed at 5’11”, I’ve always assumed he was more like 5’9”.
I've stood directly next to him in a class I had with him a few years ago. I was recently measured at 5'9" without shoes. Markus was about an inch taller than me or so. Hes 5'10"-5'10.5" max.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2019, 10:09:44 PM »

This

This is the reality.  Nearly all NBA players are there because they can play elite defense.  They are already elite offensively.  Every single one, given the role, given the touches, can light it up. 

How does Markus fit?  The best comps are Nate Robinson and JJ Barea, but they are (IMHO) both MUCH better overall players than Markus.  Nate was a first rounder and Barea was undrafted.  For guys this size, regardless of scoring ability, how they are drafted is really a crap-shoot.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2019, 10:35:33 PM »
Yeah. NBA teams don’t go balls to the walls press all game because pros can actually handle the basketball. If NBA teams did that they’d give up 200 points per game. Not because of lack of effort. But because NBA players are incredibly gifted.

yes they are incredibly gifted-that's why they are pros!  also, they play an 82 + game schedule.  the smart ones are in incredible shape, but know when to take their foot off the gas too.  sometimes the pros don't have to go balls to the wall and that's ok.  college?  ya only get one chance to make a first impression

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2019, 10:50:18 PM »
  WF-

" Nearly all NBA players are there because they can play elite defense"

i don't even know where to begin to argue that one.  let's just start and end with nearly all the nba players are there because they can play.  most play decent defense, but that's like saying most baseball players can catch the ball.  but "elite" ?