'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:01:08 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] MU All-Decade Team  (Read 13442 times)

PaintTouches

• All American
[Paint Touches] MU All-Decade Team
« on: July 19, 2019, 07:34:54 AM »
Pick 5 individual player seasons from this decade (2010-2019) and build the best possible team.

I broke it down by levels in the post, but don't think there will be too much variance among 4 of the 5. 

https://painttouches.com/2019/07/18/marquette-basketball-all-decade-team/

PG: Markus Howard ’19
SG: Darius Johnson-Odom ’12
SF: Jimmy Butler ’11
PF: Jae Crowder ’12
C: Lazar Hayward ’10

Who you got?

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] MU All-Decade Team
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 08:40:29 AM »
Exact same but someone is going to say they'd take Gardner.

In a game this team gets murdered if the opposing team is remotely tall.
Maigh Eo for Sam

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 09:50:14 AM »
Maybe put Luke at the 5 just for height and matchups. There’s enough defense and athleticism on the floor with DJO, Jimmy, and Jae. I’d also probably start Lazar over Jimmy and Jimmy be the 6th man
Bring back FFP!!!

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 09:59:02 AM »
Maybe put Luke at the 5 just for height and matchups. There’s enough defense and athleticism on the floor with DJO, Jimmy, and Jae. I’d also probably start Lazar over Jimmy and Jimmy be the 6th man
I like the team as is but calling Hayward a center is cheating a little, since I suspect he was never listed as such in his 4 years.  He was so much better than the actual centers to be considered, it is acceptable to me.  Since they are working on single season, Henry Ellenson at C would work for me, even though he was technically a F too. 

I disagree that a tall team would whip that line up, as Crowder, Butler and Hayward would get their fair share of rebounds and were strong enough to make things difficult for taller players.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 10:06:05 AM »
Pg:Wowsey/Junior
Sg: Blue/howard
Sf: JFB/Hayward
F: Crowder/Automatic
C: Henry/Gardner

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 10:10:19 AM »
Exact same but someone is going to say they'd take Gardner.

In a game this team gets murdered if the opposing team is remotely tall.

This is almost exclusively focused on offense. If I have Howard, DJO, Jimmy Butler, & Jae Crowder, give me 2018-19 Theo John at the 5. Based on the defensive numbers Paint Touches shared a week or two ago, it's an easy call.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 10:16:49 AM »
Are we voting for the best 5 single-season performances, or trying to assemble the best team? If it's the latter, I'd go with:

G Junior Cadougan (2011-12, 6.3 ppg, 5.4 apg, 2.1 rpg)
G Markus Howard (2016-17, 13.2 ppg, 2.3 apg, 2.2 rpg)
F Jimmy Butler (2010-11, 15.7 ppg, 2.3 apg, 6.1 rpg)
F Jae Crowder (2011-12, 17.5 ppg, 2.1 apg, 8.4 rpg)
C Lazar Hayward (2009-10, 18.1 ppg, 1.5 apg, 7.5 rpg)

G Vander Blue (2012-13, 14.8 ppg, 1.8 apg, 3.2 rpg)
F Jamil Wilson (2012-13, 9.7 ppg, 1.7 apg, 4.9 rpg)
C Theo John (2018-19, 5.5 ppg, 0.5 apg, 4.9 rpg, 2.1 bpg)

Favoring quickness, rebounding and defense where possible. Most could play multiple positions, as well. Junior cracks the lineup mainly because with all that offensive talent, you need a good distributor.

This is Jae's team. Hyper-efficient freshman Markus splits his minutes roughly 50-50 at the 2 with Vander, depending on matchups. Same goes for Lazar and Theo at the 5. While I wouldn't mind having Sam on the bench, I chose Jamil as the more versatile two-way player.

I enjoyed watching players like Devante and Luke while they were at Marquette. But there's no way they make my all-decade team -- just too slow at a position that should be the anchor of the defense.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 10:19:23 AM »
This is almost exclusively focused on offense. If I have Howard, DJO, Jimmy Butler, & Jae Crowder, give me 2018-19 Theo John at the 5. Based on the defensive numbers Paint Touches shared a week or two ago, it's an easy call.

Very true, but Jae (playing C 58% of the time), actually had a better defensive season in 2012 than Theo. I'll take a combo of him, Zar and Jimmy (all of whom spent time at the C those seasons and posted better or as good D numbers) over a negative offensive presence every time. I'm one of the biggest THEOlogists out there, but his OPIPM was in the bottom 30 of all MU players since 2011.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2019, 10:19:45 AM »

I like the team as is but calling Hayward a center is cheating a little, since I suspect he was never listed as such in his 4 years.  He was so much better than the actual centers to be considered, it is acceptable to me.  Since they are working on single season, Henry Ellenson at C would work for me, even though he was technically a F too. 

I disagree that a tall team would whip that line up, as Crowder, Butler and Hayward would get their fair share of rebounds and were strong enough to make things difficult for taller players.

Positions no matta.  I'd have no problem with Hayward, Ellenson, or even Sam Hauser  (had he not transferred) at "C".

I'd lean Ellenson for the size.  I also project Ellenson would be much more efficient if he was surrounded by Howard, DJO, Butler, and Crowder.

Howard
DJO
Butler
Crowder
Ellenson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 10:23:18 AM »
Junior Cadougan in any incarnation doesn't belong near an all-decade team. If the rationale is playing the point, 2014-15 Carlino, 2017-18 Rowsey, and 2018-19 Howard were all better.

At best, assuming you aren't repeating players, Junior should be fifth behind Buycks as well. As a scoring threat, Junior was about equal to Derrick, he was a turnover machine, and a mediocre defender.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2019, 10:46:03 AM »
By the numbers, yes. But Junior was simply a winner, leading MU to a 53-17 (.757) record in his two seasons as a starter -- including appearances in the Sweet 16 and Elite Eight. Buzz himself said "I've always thought Junior was the key to our team."

I'm not saying he was a great point guard. I don't think Marquette has had one in the past 10 years. But he's the best creator we've seen during that period, and a good defender (unlike Rowsey). If you actually had a team with Markus, Jimmy, Jae and Lazar, you don't need more offensive production; you just need someone to get them the ball. If I were the coach, I'd prefer Markus off the ball rather than running the point.

No way I'd ever compare Junior to Derrick. Buycks is an interesting possibility, but not much of a creator at MU. Same story for Carlino.

https://www.zagsblog.com/2012/09/26/buzz-williams-expecting-big-things-from-junior-cadougan/
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2019, 11:05:08 AM »
Pick 5 individual player seasons from this decade (2010-2019) and build the best possible team.

I broke it down by levels in the post, but don't think there will be too much variance among 4 of the 5. 

https://painttouches.com/2019/07/18/marquette-basketball-all-decade-team/

PG: Markus Howard ’19
SG: Darius Johnson-Odom ’12
SF: Jimmy Butler ’11
PF: Jae Crowder ’12
C: Lazar Hayward ’10

Who you got?
I really like this lineup. Lazar was a tremendous college player. Really enjoyed everything about the way he played.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2019, 11:09:42 AM »
I love Theo, but to put him in the top 5 players of the last decade..........

Patently ridiculous, to me.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2019, 11:12:38 AM »
Positions no matta.  I'd have no problem with Hayward, Ellenson, or even Sam Hauser  (had he not transferred) at "C".

I'd lean Ellenson for the size.  I also project Ellenson would be much more efficient if he was surrounded by Howard, DJO, Butler, and Crowder.

Howard
DJO
Butler
Crowder
Ellenson

Not to mention whether listed or not he basically played center for MU just about his whole senior season.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2019, 11:26:24 AM »
People not picking ellenson at all? Dude took what would have been the worst mu team in 20 something years and made them somewhat competent.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2019, 01:52:46 PM »
Henry put up some pretty good numbers to be left off.

17 pts and 9.7 reb (only the easy ones?)

The last guy in that neighborhood over the years was David Boone 30 years earlier (15.3 & 10.6)

Prior to that it was Bo, Lucas, McNeill and Chones.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2019, 02:02:09 PM »
Henry put up some pretty good numbers to be left off.

17 pts and 9.7 reb (only the easy ones?)

The last guy in that neighborhood over the years was David Boone 30 years earlier (15.3 & 10.6)

Prior to that it was Bo, Lucas, McNeill and Chones.
They made the team by position.

Jae was the PF and he was Big East player of the year and Second team All America and the team went to Sweet 16.

Lazar was the center and had a great season and led the team to the tournament .

Henry has a good season but not up to the level of those two .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2019, 03:03:06 PM »
They made the team by position.

Jae was the PF and he was Big East player of the year and Second team All America and the team went to Sweet 16.

Lazar was the center and had a great season and led the team to the tournament .

Henry has a good season but not up to the level of those two .

Sounds like a cancer.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2019, 03:06:16 PM »
People not picking ellenson at all? Dude took what would have been the worst mu team in 20 something years and made them somewhat competent.

The team stood around and watched him shoot.  #hardpass  Some of us picked bust in NBA before he was drafted.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2019, 03:24:26 PM »
Blue over DJO.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2019, 04:46:18 PM »
Markus is the only one of the five who would be allowed to enroll at MU today by the braintrust.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2019, 04:47:59 PM »
Markus is the only one of the five who would be allowed to enroll at MU today by the braintrust.

I think Jae is the only one who wouldn’t be.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2019, 04:54:09 PM »
I think Jae is the only one who wouldn’t be.

Not a JUCO signed since Buzz left is not a coincidence. Lazar and his ND Prep record is definitely a no. Vander, Junior and Gardner are definite no's. Maybe Jimmy but no way on DJO as his records weren't even in order.

Not to mention that Wojo doesn't have the JUCO connections Buzz has.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2019, 05:03:38 PM »
Not a JUCO signed since Buzz left is not a coincidence. Lazar and his ND Prep record is definitely a no. Vander, Junior and Gardner are definite no's. Maybe Jimmy but no way on DJO as his records weren't even in order.

Not to mention that Wojo doesn't have the JUCO connections Buzz has.

Jimmy was a full qualifier out of HS.  Went JUCO for more exposure.  I suspect that he'd be a "yes."

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2019, 05:07:42 PM »
DJO would have been a full qualifier as well. His paperwork just got screwed up.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback