[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by cheebs09
[Today at 04:00:16 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Athletic: Joey Hauser Talks About Leaving Marquette  (Read 38717 times)

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
Re: Athletic: Joey Hauser Talks About Leaving Marquette
« Reply #150 on: July 13, 2019, 07:02:50 AM »
He was a point guard  ball who dominated the ball. He was surrounded by one elite and one outstanding 3 pt shooter. The 125th assist rate in the nation under those circumstances is (IMO) disappointing.

He himself was one of the elite scorers in college basketball, with a 59% TS% on 36% usage. You realize that's insane right? At some point passing is the less efficient play. If there's something to be improved it's turning the ball over under pressure, that to me was the most frustrating part of his game.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #151 on: July 13, 2019, 08:15:43 AM »
I love having Markus on the team, and I look forward to telling my grandkids someday that I got to watch one of the greatest scorers of his era. I am disappointed in supposed Marquette fans who bash not only his considerable basketball skills but also his character. The latter is especially disturbing.

However ...

Markus simply is not very good at getting teammates involved in the offense. That's OK. It apparently is what Wojo wanted from him last season; if not, Wojo would have corrected it, or at least tried to (and not doing so is a valid criticism of Wojo, IMHO).

Pretending that Markus was good at getting teammates involved last season because he ranked 125th in assists for a team with elite shooters ... that seems a little over the top to me. It's OK to point that out while also saying that, otherwise, Markus has been an amazing Warrior.

I am hoping that the additions of Koby and Symir and the return of GE will make it less necessary for Markus to have the ball 90% of the time this season, and will make him a more efficient, healthier and even more dangerous player this season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #152 on: July 13, 2019, 08:22:20 AM »
He was a point guard  ball who dominated the ball. He was surrounded by one elite and one outstanding 3 pt shooter. The 125th assist rate in the nation under those circumstances is (IMO) disappointing.

I posted this a few weeks back.

Top 5 candidates listed for the 2020 Cousy Award

Cassius Winston: 44.8 assist rate/17.5 Turnover rate

Markus Howard: 27.2 assist rate/18.4 turnover rate

Tre Jones: 24 assist rate/14.7 turnover rate

Ashton Hagans: 27 assist rate/28.4 turnover rate

Anthony Cowan: 26.1 assist rate/18.6 turnover rate

All those guys played with players as talented, probably more talented than Joey and Sam.  Tre Jones is a likely first round pick in the 2020 draft.  That’s good company Markus is in for a point guard and his assist rate is quite similar to the best returning point guards save the unicorn, Cassius Winston
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #153 on: July 13, 2019, 08:26:05 AM »
I love having Markus on the team, and I look forward to telling my grandkids someday that I got to watch one of the greatest scorers of his era. I am disappointed in supposed Marquette fans who bash not only his considerable basketball skills but also his character. The latter is especially disturbing.

However ...

Markus simply is not very good at getting teammates involved in the offense. That's OK. It apparently is what Wojo wanted from him last season; if not, Wojo would have corrected it, or at least tried to (and not doing so is a valid criticism of Wojo, IMHO).

Pretending that Markus was good at getting teammates involved last season because he ranked 125th in assists for a team with elite shooters ... that seems a little over the top to me. It's OK to point that out while also saying that, otherwise, Markus has been an amazing Warrior.

I am hoping that the additions of Koby and Symir and the return of GE will make it less necessary for Markus to have the ball 90% of the time this season, and will make him a more efficient, healthier and even more dangerous player this season.

Markus was fine as a shooting guard playing point guard
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #154 on: July 13, 2019, 08:56:34 AM »
I posted this a few weeks back.

Top 5 candidates listed for the 2020 Cousy Award

Cassius Winston: 44.8 assist rate/17.5 Turnover rate

Markus Howard: 27.2 assist rate/18.4 turnover rate

Tre Jones: 24 assist rate/14.7 turnover rate

Ashton Hagans: 27 assist rate/28.4 turnover rate

Anthony Cowan: 26.1 assist rate/18.6 turnover rate

All those guys played with players as talented, probably more talented than Joey and Sam.  Tre Jones is a likely first round pick in the 2020 draft.  That’s good company Markus is in for a point guard and his assist rate is quite similar to the best returning point guards save the unicorn, Cassius Winston

Thanks for those stats. They are interesting.

I did not see those others play very much and obviously saw Markus play a lot. Maybe I'm relying too much on my "eye test," I acknowledge that. Like you, I've been watching basketball for a long time and have seen a lot of PGs.

Markus was fine as a shooting guard playing point guard

He did the best he could, yes. He's a great scorer, and I'm thrilled he's a Warrior for a 4th year.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #155 on: July 13, 2019, 09:30:28 AM »
Yep, Markus could have passed more.   Yep, Joey could have played better defense and pouted less.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #156 on: July 13, 2019, 09:51:22 AM »
Markus is here. Joey is not. In conclusion, go Markus.

You’d think that’d be a pretty easy conclusion to come to for people on an MU basketball board. Instead we have people claiming Markus, the guy Andy Katz just ranked his number 2 overall college basketball player going into the 2019-2020 college basketball season, is a cancer.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #157 on: July 13, 2019, 10:13:09 AM »
And rationalizing for those who left.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #158 on: July 13, 2019, 12:13:10 PM »

You’d think that’d be a pretty easy conclusion to come to for people on an MU basketball board. Instead we have people claiming Markus, the guy Andy Katz just ranked his number 2 overall college basketball player going into the 2019-2020 college basketball season, is a cancer.

This.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #159 on: July 13, 2019, 12:48:22 PM »

+1

Go Markus! Go Marquette!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #160 on: July 13, 2019, 12:54:55 PM »

Well said.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #161 on: July 13, 2019, 07:09:48 PM »

Well, some people want Wojo - and, by extension, MU - to fail. So they have to rationalize everything through that mindset.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #162 on: July 13, 2019, 08:00:46 PM »
Well, some people want Wojo - and, by extension, MU - to fail. So they have to rationalize everything through that mindset.

they don't WANT them to fail.  they just don't feel MU has the best chance to improve as we stand at the moment.  i'm a "half-full" guy.  i like our chances better going forward, but we still have to play the games.  in some circles, people can have dissenting opinions, and that's o.k.
don't...don't don't don't don't

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #163 on: July 13, 2019, 08:12:01 PM »
  they don't WANT them to fail.  they just don't feel MU has the best chance to improve as we stand at the moment.  i'm a "half-full" guy.  i like our chances better going forward, but we still have to play the games.  in some circles, people can have dissenting opinions, and that's o.k.

BS. Some people want Wojo out. And they figure the only way is for him to lose and get fired. So, they hope for that. Of course, that means MU failing. Those people would be happy with MU failing if it meant getting rid of Wojo.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #164 on: July 13, 2019, 08:15:15 PM »
BS. Some people want Wojo out. And they figure the only way is for him to lose and get fired. So, they hope for that. Of course, that means MU failing. Those people would be happy with MU failing if it meant getting rid of Wojo.

Not to mention they would rather be “right.”
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #165 on: July 13, 2019, 08:26:38 PM »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #166 on: July 13, 2019, 08:27:20 PM »

huh?  i missed the posts where they said this.  yes, some people want wojo out.  yes if wojo loses, he will probably get fired and rightly so.  but i didn't see any posts stating please please wojo and MU lose so you get fired.  the only people that want MU to lose are bucky people

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #167 on: July 13, 2019, 10:19:47 PM »
You did miss the posts because no one would overtly say as much.

Much of the anti-wojo scoopers have to be careful what they say so as to not fall into this trap.   Many have therefore been very passive aggressive regarding their hope that wojo will fail (unsaid but implied MU will fail as well). 

There are only a few posters who outright will tell you wojo is the wrong coach and they want him out (and they know this means MU has to fail for this to happen).   

Why we tip toe around this subject and pretend no one is inferring this in their posts (that they are rooting for MU to fail in recruiting and on the floor this year) is somewhat pathetic.   

Read between the passive aggressive lines.   People can clammer about how great of fans they have been their whole lives but if they want wojo out they are routing for MU to lose.   Can’t have one without the other.

And its really ok to admit it.  Especially if you think it’s the best way for the program to be successful again.   Just get some balls and say it. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #168 on: July 13, 2019, 10:27:30 PM »

Much of the anti-wojo scoopers have to be careful what they say so as to not fall into this trap.   Many have therefore been very passive aggressive regarding their hope that wojo will fail (unsaid but implied MU will fail as well). 

There are only a few posters who outright will tell you wojo is the wrong coach and they want him out (and they know this means MU has to fail for this to happen).   

Why we tip toe around this subject and pretend no one is inferring this in their posts (that they are rooting for MU to fail in recruiting and on the floor this year) is somewhat pathetic.   

Read between the passive aggressive lines.   People can clammer about how great of fans they have been their whole lives but if they want wojo out they are routing for MU to lose.   Can’t have one without the other.

And its really ok to admit it.  Especially if you think it’s the best way for the program to be successful again.   Just get some balls and say it.

The only caveat, to be fair, is some saying they hope wojo succeeds to the point of getting hired away by an elite.

Otherwise, ya, you're spot on

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #169 on: July 13, 2019, 11:25:58 PM »
Zion was "a hell of a player." KD, as a freshman, was "a hell of a player." Anthony Davis was "a hell of a player."

I can't disagree with this. But that's an almost impossibly high bar -- one no Marquette freshman has possibly ever lived up to. All three were Wooden award winners. Zion and AD were #1 overall picks in the NBA draft (KD was drafted #2).

Joey, as a freshman, had some very good moments ... but, looking at his overall body of work, he was decent. There's no shame in being a decent 10-and-5 guy as a freshman on a good team. Let's not make him out to be something he wasn't.

Again, I don't really disagree with any of this. But as a freshman, Joey performed on a level equal to or better than a number of recent Marquette greats -- including about a half-dozen who ended up in the NBA. I'd say Dominic was better, Markus was probably better, and I somehow left Henry (who was clearly better) off my list. In my eyes, that's more than decent for a freshman. Yes, Joey was inconsistent. Yes, there's plenty of room for improvement in his game. But that's true of most freshmen, even very talented ones.

Apologies if it seems like I'm fixating on the word "decent." But I don't think Izzo would be interested in giving up a scholarship for a year to bring in a "decent" player. My guess is that he believes he's getting someone special in Joey, a player that's only begun to tap his potential.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #170 on: July 14, 2019, 12:18:24 AM »

so shooter, would you say that wojo has been successful so far?  i like wojo and i'd have to say so far he really hasn't.  if you think he has been successful, then you are part of the problem of those accepting mediocrity when we should be expecting better.   i think he could be the right person for MU, but he has to bring it up a COUPLE of notches before we can talk about SUCCESS.  that being said,  those who don't like wojo are really not MU haters and do not want us to fail.  they just don't think he has represented MU the way we need our coach to do so.  losing 2 players didn't sit well with them.  i get that.  if wojo does do well next season with this group of players, which i thjnk he will, they will be cheering as much as anyone else.  if wojo fails, they will be leading the charge to get rid of him.  i don't think they want to suffer through another year of their lives with suck

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #171 on: July 14, 2019, 12:33:51 AM »
so shooter, would you say that wojo has been successful so far?  i like wojo and i'd have to say so far he really hasn't.  if you think he has been successful, then you are part of the problem of those accepting mediocrity when we should be expecting better.   i think he could be the right person for MU, but he has to bring it up a COUPLE of notches before we can talk about SUCCESS.  that being said,  those who don't like wojo are really not MU haters and do not want us to fail.  they just don't think he has represented MU the way we need our coach to do so.  losing 2 players didn't sit well with them.  i get that.  if wojo does do well next season with this group of players, which i thjnk he will, they will be cheering as much as anyone else.  if wojo fails, they will be leading the charge to get rid of him.  i don't think they want to suffer through another year of their lives with suck

Rocket
I think everyone is forgetting just how much success Wojo had produced right up until the wheels fell off. I was shocked that we basically blew four chances to secure the outright BigEast title. In hindsight, not only was the team not firing on all cylinders  with Markus wearing down due to our thin backcourt....there was a downright insurrection which more and more is looking to have been caused by a Freshman.
The fact that our team got so hosed by the BET refs in the Seton Hall game and yet didn’t respond, at all, in their next game, matchups aside, told me something was wrong. After all, the chip of all chips should have been on their shoulders. None of us knew exactly what it was until weeks later. To be so on the cusp of a championship season and have it fall prey to immaturity and petty divisions....that was tough to take. However, all the signs are pointing to a frenetically charged, united team with both skill and athleticism. Sit back and watch them outperform your expectations. Had nothing changed and attitudes not been righted, this upcoming year would’ve been a massive underachievement anyway. Everything is as it’s supposed to be....the guys who are here truly love MU and want to be here....and the right guy is at the helm of it all.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #172 on: July 14, 2019, 06:30:06 AM »
Rocket
I think everyone is forgetting just how much success Wojo had produced right up until the wheels fell off. I was shocked that we basically blew four chances to secure the outright BigEast title. In hindsight, not only was the team not firing on all cylinders  with Markus wearing down due to our thin backcourt....there was a downright insurrection which more and more is looking to have been caused by a Freshman.
The fact that our team got so hosed by the BET refs in the Seton Hall game and yet didn’t respond, at all, in their next game, matchups aside, told me something was wrong. After all, the chip of all chips should have been on their shoulders. None of us knew exactly what it was until weeks later. To be so on the cusp of a championship season and have it fall prey to immaturity and petty divisions....that was tough to take. However, all the signs are pointing to a frenetically charged, united team with both skill and athleticism. Sit back and watch them outperform your expectations. Had nothing changed and attitudes not been righted, this upcoming year would’ve been a massive underachievement anyway. Everything is as it’s supposed to be....the guys who are here truly love MU and want to be here....and the right guy is at the helm of it all.

you hit on some good stuff here dancer.  not much to disagree with.  here's the thing-the "never-wojo" guys will say that he, as the grand pooba of the team, should have dealt with the inner turmoil differently, be THE MAN, be the leader, be the coach etc etc... i respect that concern with a few caveats however-
         i don't believe there was much he could have done except ride the storm out, cut out the cancer and rally what he had left around perhaps one of the best guards in the country.  yes, there was some serious dead tissue left after the cancer was removed, but it seems as though that has been healing.  the core group of guys seem to have rallied around wojo.  he has got them onboard and focused on the team goals.  this is huge because now we have a healthy attitude breading healthy attitudes to the new guys coming in as opposed to a couple of "dividers' poisoning some of the others. the "other guys" were poison and made up their minds way before the end of the season.  we won despite them.  unfortunately, they were causing a malaise in the locker room.  in retrospect, what if wojo would have benche (and rightly so) the freshman cancer right when it first started.  that would have taken a set of stones man.  but it also would have blown up the team right then and there.  markus would surely be gone as we speak and the talk of any chance of having a decent year, this year would be laughable.  ya think this would have been smart?  so what other recourse did wojo have?  he wasn't going to change any minds.  i hope some are seeing where the real problem was here,  let's say MU doesn't even get joey-the never wojo guys would be pooping themselves- but would have been the best thing to have never happened to us. 

i'm a "things happen for a reason" guy.  wojo should emerge from this a stronger, wiser coach.  let's see

THIS will be a very pivotal year for wojo and MU ball.  i understand and respect the "never-wojo" guys because they want to see MU ball back into consistent contender status.  we've been tickling the edges of that, then falling back to mediocrity.  a step forward, 2 steps back if you will.  if wojo can pull this off, it will be a battle to keep him as there are many war wounds to heal. it remains to be seen if they ever do. 

at this point, i do not see a name out there who could confidently lead us back to where we all want MU to be.  wojo is our best shot at this point.  he may come out of this stronger and more focused.  i think he's a smart guy with a great background and some great minds to resource from.  we must not lose sight of the fact that this is wojo's first real rodeo.  if he can't learn from getting kicked by the horses that he tried to ride, then he probably isn't our guy.  until then, i'm willing to root like hell for MU anyway.         

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #173 on: July 14, 2019, 07:38:14 AM »

I think he has been successful so far but not as successful as I would like.  I see the upside, however, and am very much rooting for him to succeed this year on the recruiting trail and on the court. I believe much greater success is on the horizon for Wojo if this happens.   Others after five years are done with him and it’s obvious (and again, that’s ok).   They are in the camp of wanting him to fail so that MU can move on quickly but they just wont declare it outright.  I’m sure it goes against everything they stand for to secretly want him (MU) to fail but it’s the reality of the situation.

Go Marquette!

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #174 on: July 14, 2019, 10:32:25 AM »
           i don't believe there was much he could have done except ride the storm out, cut out the cancer and rally what he had left around perhaps one of the best guards in the country.  yes, there was some serious dead tissue left after the cancer was removed, but it seems as though that has been healing.  the core group of guys seem to have rallied around wojo.  he has got them onboard and focused on the team goals.  this is huge because now we have a healthy attitude breading healthy attitudes to the new guys coming in as opposed to a couple of "dividers' poisoning some of the others. the "other guys" were poison and made up their minds way before the end of the season.  we won despite them.  unfortunately, they were causing a malaise in the locker room.  in retrospect, what if wojo would have benche (and rightly so) the freshman cancer right when it first started.  that would have taken a set of stones man.  but it also would have blown up the team right then and there.  markus would surely be gone as we speak and the talk of any chance of having a decent year, this year would be laughable.  ya think this would have been smart?  so what other recourse did wojo have?  he wasn't going to change any minds.  i hope some are seeing where the real problem was here,  let's say MU doesn't even get joey-the never wojo guys would be pooping themselves- but would have been the best thing to have never happened to us. 

Is this what the narrative of the 2018-19 season is gonna be?  That we were really good until that cancer Joey Hauser and his brother Sam tanked the season?  And that Wojo did everything right and/or that nothing could be done by him to fix the sinking ship? 

Seems pretty convenient.  The Hausers definitely played their part in the collapse, but it's wishful thinking to believe they were responsible for all of it.  Otherwise, why would two coaches who are a heck of a lot more successful than Wojo want to take them on?