[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Stan Johnson says never take Markus for granted  (Read 20509 times)

CountryRoads

• All American
Re: Stan Johnson says never take Markus for granted
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2019, 10:02:51 AM »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2019, 10:08:54 AM »
Did you guys know that Markus was only 17 years old his freshman year?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2019, 10:14:23 AM »
Joeys body language at 0:28...lol

That’s where I want Joey with the ball, at the logo.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2019, 10:19:46 AM »

About the same spot on the court a number of Scoopers wanted Markus to throw Sam the ball at the end of the Seton Hall BET game with 2 seconds to go.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2019, 10:21:01 AM »
All those arguments have been made a zillion times in every other off-season post. All I'm saying is one can logically affirm both of these positions at the same time.

1) Markus is an amazing basketball player

2) A team with a player of Markus' caliber and the talent of the supporting cast we had should have been able finish their season a heck of a lot better than they did.

I am a big believer in shades of gray, in nuance, and in not labeling things as mutually exclusive.

Markus is one of the most incredible scorers any of us have seen, AND he could have made better decisions about when to shoot (and Wojo could have helped him with those decisions).

Having said that ...

To call him a "cancer," or for the Hausers to try to stage a coup (if that's what they did; still hasn't been proven), I'm not a fan of those types of reactions/actions.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2019, 10:24:31 AM »

To be fair, I think he may have wanted Markus to dump the ball down to Ed.

But the play highlights some of the problems. Joey seems to not understand the difference between HS ball and college.

A college player like Markus, needs to shoot the 3 every time if the defender is backed off with his hands down. Should be automatic. Markus took the right shot. Joey is thinking like a HS star.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2019, 10:44:22 AM »
OK Scoopers, time for your daily reality check.

1) Markus is still with us. He is a second-team all-American, a fine person and does a great job of representing MU. 

2) Earlier posters are correct. The last legitimate all-American we had probably was DWade. That's been awhile.

3) Some could have argued Jae, Wes and Jimmy should have been. But again, this is not an every year occasion.

4) Big Hauser and the Baby Hauser are gone.

5) We hear rumors, but does anyone KNOW what really happened?

6) If "5" is "Yes," still doesn't change the fact of "4".

GET OVER IT!

Final thought: Too much of this board is Wisconsin-centric. Marquette should be and kind a is a regional/national school. If losing Big and the Baby Hauser hurts us in Wisconsin, so be it. We'll figure it out!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2019, 11:14:47 AM »
OK Scoopers, time for your daily reality check.

1) Markus is still with us. He is a second-team all-American, a fine person and does a great job of representing MU. 

2) Earlier posters are correct. The last legitimate all-American we had probably was DWade. That's been awhile.

3) Some could have argued Jae, Wes and Jimmy should have been. But again, this is not an every year occasion.

4) Big Hauser and the Baby Hauser are gone.

5) We hear rumors, but does anyone KNOW what really happened?

6) If "5" is "Yes," still doesn't change the fact of "4".

GET OVER IT!

Final thought: Too much of this board is Wisconsin-centric. Marquette should be and kind a is a regional/national school. If losing Big and the Baby Hauser hurts us in Wisconsin, so be it. We'll figure it out!
Jae Crowder was also Second Team All American on AP and Sporting News and 3rd Team on NABC. He was also a Wooden Award finalist. 
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2019, 11:29:28 AM »
Jae Crowder was also Second Team All American on AP and Sporting News and 3rd Team on NABC. He was also a Wooden Award finalist.

And Jerel was second team AP All-American.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 11:31:21 AM by Pakuni »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2019, 11:33:53 AM »
And Jerel was second team AP All-American.
Was a heckuva of a fun player to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGPa_KRDOeE

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2019, 11:58:33 AM »
Joeys body language at 0:28...lol
To his credit, later, he went to the glass when Markus would shoot.   And he was throwing his hands up in frustration in November.   I predict if someone was to re watch every minute he and Markus were on the floor together last year, you could find 8-10 times he threw his hands in frustration when Markus shot.   
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 12:44:59 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2019, 02:41:55 PM »
To his credit, later, he went to the glass when Markus would shoot.   And he was throwing his hands up in frustration in November.   I predict if someone was to re watch every minute he and Markus were on the floor together last year, you could find 8-10 times he threw his hands in frustration when Markus shot.

Coincidentally, Joey's performance in Feb and March made most MU fans throw up.

So it all evens out!

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2019, 06:50:44 PM »
All those arguments have been made a zillion times in every other off-season post. All I'm saying is one can logically affirm both of these positions at the same time.

1) Markus is an amazing basketball player

2) A team with a player of Markus' caliber and the talent of the supporting cast we had should have been able finish their season a heck of a lot better than they did.

that's cool, but you brought up the issue of "utilization".  i was just responding to that while wondering if you would expand upon that for us...that's all.  but thanks
don't...don't don't don't don't

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2019, 09:05:14 AM »
Was a heckuva of a fun player to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGPa_KRDOeE

Man, I had forgotten when the big 3 all shaved their heads for the tourney. Seeing McSteal without hair threw me for a loop for a second.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2019, 09:24:07 AM »
As others have pointed out, we have seen some pretty amazing college players here the last couple of decades, with DWade, Jerel, Jae and Markus topping the list as All-Americans. Add in guys like JFB, Steve, Travis, Wesley, Dominic, Lazar and others, we have been blessed with college hoops talent.

Of all those players, Markus has taken by far the most $hit from fans. The only 3- or 4-year starter to even come close was Scott Merritt ("too soft," "peaked early," etc).

Some of us are enjoying every minute with Markus. I only wish the negative outliers here would join us.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2019, 12:27:49 PM »
As others have pointed out, we have seen some pretty amazing college players here the last couple of decades, with DWade, Jerel, Jae and Markus topping the list as All-Americans. Add in guys like JFB, Steve, Travis, Wesley, Dominic, Lazar and others, we have been blessed with college hoops talent.

Of all those players, Markus has taken by far the most $hit from fans. The only 3- or 4-year starter to even come close was Scott Merritt ("too soft," "peaked early," etc).

Some of us are enjoying every minute with Markus. I only wish the negative outliers here would join us.

Dominic took more crap.  Diener was very much maligned.  Hell, Scoop wanted to revoke JFB’s scholarship.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2019, 12:41:30 PM »
Dominic took more crap.  Diener was very much maligned.  Hell, Scoop wanted to revoke JFB’s scholarship.
Think everyone really appreciated Dom as a senior. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2019, 12:47:05 PM »

Yep, especially after the UConn game.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2019, 01:22:57 PM »

I wasn't a Scooper during the Diener or Dom years, so I'll take your word for it. But revoke JFB's scholarship? I was around then and I don't remember that. Why? Because he didn't make enough buzzer-beating game-winners in a row?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2019, 01:55:31 PM »
I wasn't a Scooper during the Diener or Dom years, so I'll take your word for it. But revoke JFB's scholarship? I was around then and I don't remember that. Why? Because he didn't make enough buzzer-beating game-winners in a row?

We're talking year 1 Jimmy Butler. He wasn't JFB yet.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2019, 02:13:13 PM »

Dom was an elite defender and a solid ball handler/passer. But he was a lousy shooter. It wasn't his fault that TC wanted him to be a scorer but some blamed him nevertheless. Under Buzz, he shot it less and Jerel and Wesley shot it more. Criticisms abated.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2019, 02:35:53 PM »
Dom was an elite defender and a solid ball handler/passer. But he was a lousy shooter. It wasn't his fault that TC wanted him to be a scorer but some blamed him nevertheless. Under Buzz, he shot it less and Jerel and Wesley shot it more. Criticisms abated.

Great driver and finisher, poor outside shooter (29.1% for his Marquette career from three-point range). Watching him and Jerel play defense together was a privilege. More than 500 steals between them -- what a great tandem.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MU82

• All American
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2019, 04:24:03 PM »
We're talking year 1 Jimmy Butler. He wasn't JFB yet.

He was an aggressive defender and rebounder who played a valuable role for a good (but not great) team. I don't remember calls to revoke his scholly, though I allow that maybe you're using a little hyperbole.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2019, 04:26:41 PM »
He was an aggressive defender and rebounder who played a valuable role for a good (but not great) team. I don't remember calls to revoke his scholly, though I allow that maybe you're using a little hyperbole.

No hyperbole. Look it up.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2019, 05:29:55 PM »
Just shows you what reactionary douche bags many scoopers are.