[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Stan Johnson says never take Markus for granted  (Read 20569 times)

tower912

• All American
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: Stan Johnson says never take Markus for granted
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 04:32:59 PM »
   stan is really real...he ain't no b.s.'er...loud n clear 
don't...don't don't don't don't

Class71

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 06:33:06 PM »
Great shooter and appears to be a great representative of the school. Think there is more to being a great player. Hopefully he can show other skills on the court in the upcoming year.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 06:34:38 PM »
Great shooter and appears to be a great representative of the school. Think there is more to being a great player. Hopefully he can show other skills on the court in the upcoming year.

I mean I’d argue if you’re a Second Team All American (I’d add “as a 20 year old junior” but honestly even if you’re a 24 year old senior...) you’re a pretty great player. I guess we can debate semantics if needed though.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 06:54:14 PM »
Naturally, one should never take cancer for granted. It's a killer.

But seriously ...

I enjoyed hearing Stan's perspective on all of this, and I'm thrilled that Markus chose to be a Warrior and to keep being a Warrior.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 07:03:33 PM »
https://247sports.com/college/marquette/Article/Markus-Howard-Stan-Johnson--133445951/
I agree . Markus is a legit All American and we don’t get many of those at MU. Enjoy him while he’s here .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

vvnev

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2019, 08:16:16 AM »
As a Marquette grad my bet is that I'll be more proud of what Markus achieves off the basketball arena than what he accomplishes on the court and that my friends is saying a whole lot.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2019, 12:30:59 PM »
Markus is a special player and from every account I've read a special person. Marquette is fortunate to have him.

Stan's thoughts are virtually identical to Wojo's of a month or two ago.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2019, 02:35:14 PM »
Too late.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2019, 03:33:31 PM »
Media relations is working overtime this off season.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2019, 03:37:23 PM »

Because idiots like you call a Second Team All American a team cancer. LOL!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2019, 05:11:37 PM »

Sad that they have to.  Markus busts his ass on the court and has been a great representative of the university off the court.  Too bad there are some alum that can’t or won’t support someone that seems to represent the university quite well.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 05:15:19 PM by Uncle Rico »
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2019, 07:11:30 PM »
Because idiots like you call a Second Team All American a team cancer. LOL!
Me and the two starters who would rather sit out an entire year than share the court with him for another year.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2019, 09:43:02 PM »
Align yourself with those who turned their backs after basically blowing up the locker room.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

🏀

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2019, 09:56:41 PM »
Align yourself with those who turned their backs after basically blowing up the locker room.

Those with similar alignment are also cowards, which historically PRN fits in nicely.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2019, 10:15:40 PM »
Me and the two starters who would rather sit out an entire year than share the court with him for another year.

All I know is that there were many reports that 3 or 4 other players were ready to leave. But as soon as Markus announced he was staying and the Hausers announced they were going, those 3 or 4 decided to stay.

So I wonder who the "cancers" were.

I actually don't. I don't think there were any cancers. What a thing to say about a player on a team one roots for, let alone one who does as much for the Marquette community as the young man you criticized.

I'll root for the one who wanted to be a Warrior, and the several others who did, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

1SE

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2019, 02:23:17 AM »
It's not mutually exclusive both to appreciate the incredible individual college basketball player (and ambassador) that Markus is but also recognize that the way he's been utilized in the context of a team game by the coaching staff has been less than ideal.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2019, 07:12:50 AM »
It's not mutually exclusive both to appreciate the incredible individual college basketball player (and ambassador) that Markus is but also recognize that the way he's been utilized in the context of a team game by the coaching staff has been less than ideal.

so, if we wouldn't have lost 10 games and/or went deeper into the madness, that would have been more ideal?  yes, i suppose, but are you insinuating that he shot too much?  or didn't get the ball to the "h" bros enough?  or he shouldn't have, as a captain, dared call anyone out for not hustling or turning the ball over too much or missing defensive assignments?  he should have shut his mouth and looked over to the coaches for a signal to pass or when to shoot?  ok, so he's a pretty good baller, so good he's mentioned as an all american who represents MU very well, but is a "team wrecker"?  just wondering about the "way he's been utilized in the context of a team game by the coaching staff" part. 

let's imagine bernard toone had a little bro whose mommy and daddy were in the stands every day within breathing distance of the bench and butch tells him to pick it up a little...whoa boy! let's just say that little locker room halftime "misunderstanding" between bernard and Al was paddy cakes compared to this one. 

they did try to use him as both a point guard and a shooting guard, but who else would you have plugged into the point guard position aside from chartouny?  i liked joe, but a BE point man he really wasn't.  markus wasn't prepared to take on both very well.  shooting guard-well we all know how he has done there, but as a point man, he struggled a little bit. 

bottom line, we've got a really special rare talent here who chose to go all 4 years.  look for him to have upped his game another notch.  with a fully engaged, intact "team", i believe we may see something special this coming year

please expand for me.  i'm all ears as i'm sure many others here are as well
don't...don't don't don't don't

1SE

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2019, 07:23:45 AM »
so, if we wouldn't have lost 10 games and/or went deeper into the madness, that would have been more ideal?  yes, i suppose, but are you insinuating that he shot too much?  or didn't get the ball to the "h" bros enough?  or he shouldn't have, as a captain, dared call anyone out for not hustling or turning the ball over too much or missing defensive assignments?  he should have shut his mouth and looked over to the coaches for a signal to pass or when to shoot?  ok, so he's a pretty good baller, so good he's mentioned as an all american who represents MU very well, but is a "team wrecker"?  just wondering about the "way he's been utilized in the context of a team game by the coaching staff" part. 

let's imagine bernard toone had a little bro whose mommy and daddy were in the stands every day within breathing distance of the bench and butch tells him to pick it up a little...whoa boy! let's just say that little locker room halftime "misunderstanding" between bernard and Al was paddy cakes compared to this one. 

they did try to use him as both a point guard and a shooting guard, but who else would you have plugged into the point guard position aside from chartouny?  i liked joe, but a BE point man he really wasn't.  markus wasn't prepared to take on both very well.  shooting guard-well we all know how he has done there, but as a point man, he struggled a little bit. 

bottom line, we've got a really special rare talent here who chose to go all 4 years.  look for him to have upped his game another notch.  with a fully engaged, intact "team", i believe we may see something special this coming year

please expand for me.  i'm all ears as i'm sure many others here are as well

All those arguments have been made a zillion times in every other off-season post. All I'm saying is one can logically affirm both of these positions at the same time.

1) Markus is an amazing basketball player

2) A team with a player of Markus' caliber and the talent of the supporting cast we had should have been able finish their season a heck of a lot better than they did.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2019, 09:13:24 AM »
If the two primary running mates had bought in and not torpedoed with one eye to the door, maybe the season ends better.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2019, 09:26:00 AM »
If the two primary running mates had bought in and not torpedoed with one eye to the door, maybe the season ends better.

What does “torpedoed” mean, hey?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2019, 09:34:02 AM »
What does “torpedoed” mean, hey?

It means a co-MVP performance?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2019, 09:36:33 AM »
Highlights of Markus 53 versus Creighton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDC9z5U3yho&feature=youtu.be
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire