[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Anyone done Oktoberfest in Munich?  (Read 9328 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Anyone done Oktoberfest in Munich?
« on: June 28, 2019, 06:38:59 PM »
Thinking about taking my bride for her birthday.  Heard mostly good things, but looking for more input from people that have been.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
Re: Anyone done Oktoberfest in Munich?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 06:42:18 PM »
Thinking about taking my bride for her birthday.  Heard mostly good things, but looking for more input from people that have been.

Been a few times - mainly for fun but for work as well. It's fantastic. If you go, make sure to pick up propper trachten (lederhosen & dirndl) when you get there. Prefer to go during the day now that I am no longer in my 20s.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 08:14:52 PM »

Yes.  Be warned, there are a ton of drunk people.  I cannot stress this enough.  The wife and I drank 3L each on our honeymoon, and had... an adventure.  Munich is an absolutely safe city, so even if things do go sideways, you will be safe. 

The best way I can describe it is Summerfest turned up to 11 plus enormous tents (Augustiner-Bräu is king, IMO) filled with polka, German beer, and food.  There is the usual carnival stuff going on as well.

Its a good time, but don't be surprised to see more than a few people puking/passed out/wet.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 10:46:17 PM »

Its a good time, but don't be surprised to see more than a few people puking/passed out/wet.

There was a time when this wouldn't have bothered me at all. Not any more. Pass.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 11:01:28 PM »
Yes.  Be warned, there are a ton of drunk people.  I cannot stress this enough.  The wife and I drank 3L each on our honeymoon, and had... an adventure.  Munich is an absolutely safe city, so even if things do go sideways, you will be safe. 

The best way I can describe it is Summerfest turned up to 11 plus enormous tents (Augustiner-Bräu is king, IMO) filled with polka, German beer, and food.  There is the usual carnival stuff going on as well.

I’ve been told go during the day, not worth it at night for that very reason.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 08:50:52 AM »

During the day you can more or less wander in and out of most of the tents and find a table. We drank and chatted with people from all over Europe wherever we sat down. Hofbrau has a big open area with highboy tables. We wanted to see what it was like and wandered through to find the most savagely drunk 21 year old American fratcrowd.

After some time of day you start needing reservations and get the boot from the tents. We ended up kinda waiting listing our way back onto the patio of one of the tents and hanging out with some Aussies for the rest of the night (or at least until we tapped out which was not the end of the night).

We did it as the capper on a 10ish day trip through Bavaria and spent 2 days at the fest. I'm not sure I would have needed more than that.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2019, 11:45:14 AM »

I was talking to a guy at a beer festival about this as my wife and I had been discussing a trip. He said it’s become a state fair with beer. Go for a day then hit other brew towns of Bavaria (he suggested Andechs). The drinking age is 16/and the kids get obnoxious.

You do have to plan in advance and possibly go with a tour company.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Chili

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2019, 12:39:15 PM »
There is no reason to use a tour company. Germany is an extremely easy country to get around in and the people are fantastic. For Munich / Oktoberfest specifically I have stayed at the Kings Hotel First Class 3 times and usually got a room for about $130 USD a night. It's about a 15 minute walk to Wies'n. At most you need 2 days Weissen though my friends who live in Munich go on average 2-3 times a week. It's used a business thing at times - think of it like the happy hour golf course. But the statement above is true about drunks. If you go weekdays or even week nights is best. Weekends get slammed with college kids from all over Europe. I think the 3rd weekend is the Italian weekend. If you go maybe about 2-3pm you can usually find a table. Last time I was over their with my wife visiting our Munchiner friends we found a table pretty quickly and met a sister & 2 brothers from Chicago (where I currently live) who let us share their table. We had a blast together from I have been told. 6 mass of bier & 2 of raddler will take a toll. Remember to eat. Though after you can always find donner.

Also get ready for some fun German pop music like Schati schenk mir ein Foto: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r83jGYoaCs and Fliegerlied https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpCJezetG8s

They also have parking available if you drive into town or want to take day trips. Driving in Germany is blast once you get on the Autobahn. Just rent thru Sixt and get yourself a proper car.

Bavaria is fantastic to explore. The best quick day trip from Munich is Tegernsee though I would recommend spending a night there. There is a nice monastic brewery in town but it's one of the most beautiful spots on earth. A coworker was commented that it's "where brewers go when they die. It's their heaven".

Bamberg is awesome as well - home of Schlenkerla. Regensberg is cool - home to what they say is the world oldest fast food restaurant.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2019, 12:50:55 PM »
There is no reason to use a tour company. Germany is an extremely easy country to get around in and the people are fantastic. For Munich / Oktoberfest specifically I have stayed at the Kings Hotel First Class 3 times and usually got a room for about $130 USD a night. It's about a 15 minute walk to Wies'n. At most you need 2 days Weissen though my friends who live in Munich go on average 2-3 times a week. It's used a business thing at times - think of it like the happy hour golf course. But the statement above is true about drunks. If you go weekdays or even week nights is best. Weekends get slammed with college kids from all over Europe. I think the 3rd weekend is the Italian weekend. If you go maybe about 2-3pm you can usually find a table. Last time I was over their with my wife visiting our Munchiner friends we found a table pretty quickly and met a sister & 2 brothers from Chicago (where I currently live) who let us share their table. We had a blast together from I have been told. 6 mass of bier & 2 of raddler will take a toll. Remember to eat. Though after you can always find donner.

Also get ready for some fun German pop music like Schati schenk mir ein Foto: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r83jGYoaCs and Fliegerlied https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpCJezetG8s

They also have parking available if you drive into town or want to take day trips. Driving in Germany is blast once you get on the Autobahn. Just rent thru Sixt and get yourself a proper car.

Bavaria is fantastic to explore. The best quick day trip from Munich is Tegernsee though I would recommend spending a night there. There is a nice monastic brewery in town but it's one of the most beautiful spots on earth. A coworker was commented that it's "where brewers go when they die. It's their heaven".

Bamberg is awesome as well - home of Schlenkerla. Regensberg is cool - home to what they say is the world oldest fast food restaurant.

I will say that former East Germany has a few less English speakers outside of Berlin and Dresden... at least in my experience.  The kids are probably fine, but adults, especially the older ones do not speak much.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 12:52:09 PM »
One other thing.  Find a hotel very early on, Munich ran out the year we were there.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2019, 01:06:13 PM »
One other thing.  Find a hotel very early on, Munich ran out the year we were there.

That’s what my tour company statement was in regards to: getting a close in hotel. Not to set everything else up.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2019, 01:13:40 PM »
I played soccer in West Germany years ago for a California team one summer.  Haven’t been back since.  Most of the tour was Hamburg and surrounding communities, plus and exhibition in Denmark.

Looking forward to getting back post unification.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2019, 03:42:15 PM »
Lots of Traditionals.  Definitely need to wear the Bavarian gear they will deny you entry. Yanks buy some cheap crap on AMZ and that calls you out. There is a lady on the NW side of Chicago I know that will get so some authentic outfits made for you if you need a name. Germans don't consider Bavaria a part of Germany so remember that. Nuremberg is underrated and worth a visit if not being your base via train.  Flying into Munich will be  expensive so other locations and a train may be cheaper.

As for puking, nothing beats the puke sinks in Polish or Eastern European bars.  Forget the baby changing tables.  Yak in the designated sink and step on the pedal flush.  Then good to go for a few more.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2019, 04:18:51 PM »
Lots of Traditionals.  Definitely need to wear the Bavarian gear they will deny you entry. Yanks buy some cheap crap on AMZ and that calls you out. There is a lady on the NW side of Chicago I know that will get so some authentic outfits made for you if you need a name. Germans don't consider Bavaria a part of Germany so remember that. Nuremberg is underrated and worth a visit if not being your base via train.  Flying into Munich will be  expensive so other locations and a train may be cheaper.

As for puking, nothing beats the puke sinks in Polish or Eastern European bars.  Forget the baby changing tables.  Yak in the designated sink and step on the pedal flush.  Then good to go for a few more.

Where the hell did you learn this? Unless this was supposed to be teal.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2019, 04:28:58 PM »
Where the hell did you learn this? Unless this was supposed to be teal.

My many German friends who say it tongue in cheek but with disdain. Oh, and history.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2019, 05:30:03 PM »
Yes, Bavaria is a culturally traditional part of Germany, is that what you meant?  Very Catholic, conservative culture.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2019, 08:49:01 PM »
I did a week in Dusseldorf at a trade a show.  Each cafe/bar in and out of the Altstadt served a different Dusseldorf brewery's Alt beer.  Awesome!  If Octoberfest is 10 times this, then holy snikes!!!

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2019, 11:47:01 PM »

Looking forward to getting back post unification.

No rush eh?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2019, 01:26:49 PM »
No rush eh?

Had to do lots of stuff in between, feels like time is right.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2019, 08:27:29 PM »
A co-worker of mine did Ofest a couple years ago with his wife and a few other couples... the main thing I remember from his recap was how they had hired a local “concierge” without whom it sounds like they would not have had a fraction of the access they had.  Suggested where to go, best times for each, and even arranged tickets/reservations... yet they still got shut out of a couple places they wanted to go to because they waited until a year prior to make arrangements. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2019, 09:08:10 AM »

Been living in Deutschland for the last three years and will be in Munchen for Oktoberfest again this year. While I would recommend Trachten, traditional Bavarian dress, it is NOT required. Plenty of people walking around in jeans and shirts, have never seen anyone denied entry to a "tent" because of a lack of Trachten.

We typically go during the week, way less crowded, the only time places get crowded during the week is during the lunch rush, so plan accordingly. During the day many tables will have a reservation sheet on them saying what time the reservation starts. Feel free to sit at any table that is before the time on the reservation. If you are at a table when the reservation does show up politely get up and give them their table. We have had groups let us stay for awhile until their entire group arrives. One year in the evening we walked into a tent, talked to a server, and she helped us find a spot at a table without a reservation so it can happen.

Money is king, and not just at Oktoberfest. Oktoberfest tents do not accept cards, so bring lots of cash, I believe a typical bier at a tent is now at least 12 Euro at most tents, possibly pushing 13 this year. Germans have no problem breaking a 100 Euro note and you will run into a lot of bars and restaurants, especially in smaller towns, that are cash only. Only the 6 traditional Munchen brewers are allowed to sell bier at Oktoberfest and they typically only sell their Oktoberfestbier and a Radler (some people like it, it's half lemonade and half bier, way too sweet for my tastes) and the only size is the 1L Maß. All are decent but everyone always develops their own list of preferences (I lean towards Augustiner, Hacker-Pschorr, and Spaten but Löwenbräu, Hofbräu, and Paulaner are still good, I can just find them more often in my region).

I quoted "tent" earlier because it is a misnomer at this point in time. These are significant structures with many having a second floor with seating in addition to the main floor. The most crowded days to go are obviously the weekend and German Unity day, which is Oktober 3rd, which I believe is a Thursday this year. The weather can vary greatly that time of year, so make sure to double check before heading out. And lastly have fun, if you like to drink like the Germans do, you will easily fit in and enjoy yourself.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2019, 09:17:19 AM »
Been living in Deutschland for the last three years and will be in Munchen for Oktoberfest again this year. While I would recommend Trachten, traditional Bavarian dress, it is NOT required. Plenty of people walking around in jeans and shirts, have never seen anyone denied entry to a "tent" because of a lack of Trachten.

We typically go during the week, way less crowded, the only time places get crowded during the week is during the lunch rush, so plan accordingly. During the day many tables will have a reservation sheet on them saying what time the reservation starts. Feel free to sit at any table that is before the time on the reservation. If you are at a table when the reservation does show up politely get up and give them their table. We have had groups let us stay for awhile until their entire group arrives. One year in the evening we walked into a tent, talked to a server, and she helped us find a spot at a table without a reservation so it can happen.

Money is king, and not just at Oktoberfest. Oktoberfest tents do not accept cards, so bring lots of cash, I believe a typical bier at a tent is now at least 12 Euro at most tents, possibly pushing 13 this year. Germans have no problem breaking a 100 Euro note and you will run into a lot of bars and restaurants, especially in smaller towns, that are cash only. Only the 6 traditional Munchen brewers are allowed to sell bier at Oktoberfest and they typically only sell their Oktoberfestbier and a Radler (some people like it, it's half lemonade and half bier, way too sweet for my tastes) and the only size is the 1L Maß. All are decent but everyone always develops their own list of preferences (I lean towards Augustiner, Hacker-Pschorr, and Spaten but Löwenbräu, Hofbräu, and Paulaner are still good, I can just find them more often in my region).

I quoted "tent" earlier because it is a misnomer at this point in time. These are significant structures with many having a second floor with seating in addition to the main floor. The most crowded days to go are obviously the weekend and German Unity day, which is Oktober 3rd, which I believe is a Thursday this year. The weather can vary greatly that time of year, so make sure to double check before heading out. And lastly have fun, if you like to drink like the Germans do, you will easily fit in and enjoy yourself.

Thank you.  Great info.

One followup, go at start of festival, middle or end?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2019, 09:35:17 AM »
As long as you are going all-out, treat your wife to a dirndl.

You can buy them online from Germany, or get one once you are there.

There are several websites, but I am choosing this one to post because based on the name of the store, they might be relatives of mine.

https://www.stockerpoint.de/
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2019, 10:11:19 AM »
Went in 2017. It was a blast. I recommend AirB&B as hotels are insanely expensive.

The cool part is you can get whatever scene you want. During the day it is family friendly, with rides, food, people just hanging out and having fun. It turns into a party in the evening. We had a couple low key days and went really hard one night.

Definitely wear authentic lederhosen/dirndls, not the fake Halloween costumes.

My favorite tents were Hacker (absolutely beautiful) and Augustiner (best beer and food...roast chicken was incredible).

Munich is also an incredible city. I've visited three times now. PM me for more things to do in and around Munich.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 10:18:48 AM by Coleman »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2019, 10:12:26 AM »

You do have to plan in advance and possibly go with a tour company.

Definitely not true. Only thing you have to plan in advance is accommodations, which we did book about 10 months in advance.

Not sure it made a difference, but we were there towards the end of the festival.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 10:27:41 AM by Coleman »