collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Montana  (Read 6644 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Montana
« on: June 24, 2019, 10:49:59 AM »
I'm heading out to Montana soon. Will spend about 2 weeks there and then another week in Wyoming. We will be in the Jackson area of Wyoming, but I have never been to Montana before.

The eventual goal is a week near Glacier Nat'l Park, but we have a pretty loose itinerary for the 1st week.  I would appreciate any suggestions from fellow Scoopers as to places that we should make as priorities. We will be entering the state just north of Sheridan, Wy.

jsglow

• All American
Re: Montana
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 11:58:16 AM »
So you're going from Jackson Hole to Sheridan after doing Yellowstone?  Is there some reason to head that far east?  If so, make that your eastern terminus. Eastern WY and MT are the 'big empty' although the Bighorns are nice (but usually if traveling east to west as those are the first real mountains.)  What you really want to do is head N/E out of Yellowstone on #212 over the Beartooth.  Perhaps the greatest single road in the lower 48.  Stay in Red Lodge on the way out if you can.

Glacier is a MUST.  Going to the Sun is not to be missed.  With 3 total weeks you have plenty of time to properly explore Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and Glacier.  Enjoy.  I can try to answer any specific questions you have.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 12:19:16 PM »
So you're going from Jackson Hole to Sheridan after doing Yellowstone?  Is there some reason to head that far east?  If so, make that your eastern terminus. Eastern WY and MT are the 'big empty' although the Bighorns are nice (but usually if traveling east to west as those are the first real mountains.)  What you really want to do is head N/E out of Yellowstone on #212 over the Beartooth.  Perhaps the greatest single road in the lower 48.  Stay in Red Lodge on the way out if you can.

Glacier is a MUST.  Going to the Sun is not to be missed.  With 3 total weeks you have plenty of time to properly explore Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and Glacier.  Enjoy.  I can try to answer any specific questions you have.

We’re going into Montana from Sheridan at the start of the trip and then heading to Jackson after Glacier before we turn back to Wisconsin. We’re going that way so we can stop at Little Bighorn when we go into Montana.

checkmarq

• Walk-On
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 12:23:44 PM »
Went camping in Glacier for a week a few years ago before the forest fire on the west side of the park. I'd suggest driving Going To The Sun Road, but make sure the forecast calls for a nice day. Driving that road in the rain and fog wasn't a ton of fun (otherwise was a great time). Also, plenty of decent hikes as well

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 02:03:56 PM »
We’re going into Montana from Sheridan at the start of the trip and then heading to Jackson after Glacier before we turn back to Wisconsin. We’re going that way so we can stop at Little Bighorn when we go into Montana.

Now this makes sense Jockey. Kids too?  How old?

Anyway, your first focus might want to be the Black Hills.  Stops could include everything from the Badlands, Minuteman Missile, Mt. Rushmore, Wind Cave, Deadwood, and Devil's Tower, all before you get to Sheridan.  Pick out 1-2 as all are in a fairly tight cluster.  I have my favorites but everyone's taste is different.  You can easily do a couple as you pass through on your way without killing too much time.

I might then encourage you to do the reverse of what I said earlier and ENTER N/E Yellowstone over the Beartooth Pass biting off the top half of the park before exiting the park at Gardiner and heading up to Glacier that way.  There's nothing scenic about I-90 until about Bozeman and you want to get off the interstate as much as possible.  Eventually head north on I-15.  St. Mary's is a cool town with a couple interesting restaurants on the east side of Glacier.  While over that way, make sure to hit the Many Glacier Hotel, perhaps the most iconic of the old national park lodges.

Going to the Sun is a full day trip if you do appropriate hiking and sightseeing.  If you enter Glacier from the east, plan on exiting to the west.  If you have time, you may choose to do some rafting along the western boundary on the same river Meryl Streep and Kevin Bacon filmed The River Wild.  About a decade ago we did a 3 day expedition.  I can recommend an outfitter.

The drive back to Yellowstone from there probably includes an overnight along the way.  We personally did Missoula.  West Yellowstone is a great place to lodge for your major Yellowstone highlight touring as most of the iconic features are on the lower loop of the '8'.  When you leave, you'll go south toward the Tetons and Jackson Hole before the drive home.

Okay, that's really compressed.  Happy to help. PM me if you like.   
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 02:05:47 PM by jsglow »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 03:51:48 PM »
Glacier is worth it. Only been to West Glacier and half of GTSR, as it was June and the upper parts were closed. Gorgeous, gorgeous park though.

I also really liked Missoula, really fun college town. Almost reminded me of a mini-Madison (don't hate me, as much as I loathe the Badgers, Madison is a cool place).

The drive from Coeur d'Alene ID to Glacier was probably the most beautiful drive I've ever taken (by way of I-90 and US-93). I'm sure there are prettier drives, but for a midwestern guy who flies everywhere he travels, I can't remember one.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 03:54:25 PM by Coleman »

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 04:15:26 PM »
Now this makes sense Jockey. Kids too?  How old?

Anyway, your first focus might want to be the Black Hills.  Stops could include everything from the Badlands, Minuteman Missile, Mt. Rushmore, Wind Cave, Deadwood, and Devil's Tower, all before you get to Sheridan.  Pick out 1-2 as all are in a fairly tight cluster.  I have my favorites but everyone's taste is different.  You can easily do a couple as you pass through on your way without killing too much time.

No kids. They are grown.

We're stopping the first night just before Badlands. It's only about 5 hours to
Sheridan, so we will be stopping along the way. We were thinking maybe lunch in Deadwood, then stop and hike a few miles around Devil's on the way, but we've never been to the Missile site before, so maybe stop there instead (only about 10 miles from our motel the 1st night) before going to Deadwood to eat. Thanks for that suggestion.

[/quote]

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 04:30:22 PM »

No kids. They are grown.

We're stopping the first night just before Badlands. It's only about 5 hours to
Sheridan, so we will be stopping along the way. We were thinking maybe lunch in Deadwood, then stop and hike a few miles around Devil's on the way, but we've never been to the Missile site before, so maybe stop there instead (only about 10 miles from our motel the 1st night) before going to Deadwood to eat. Thanks for that suggestion.

No visit to Deadwood is complete without driving up to Boot Hill (Moriah) and paying respects to Calamity Jane, Wild Bill and Potato Creek Johnn.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 05:06:31 PM »
No visit to Deadwood is complete without driving up to Boot Hill (Moriah) and paying respects to Calamity Jane, Wild Bill and Potato Creek Johnn.

Com'n, Waldo, man up. 8-)

First time there, I walked up to the cemetery. Not all that far - a couple blocks - but probably about a 12% -14% grade. Didn't take long to get tired legs.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 08:36:54 PM »
I went there twice to a Big corporate owned ranch outside Bozeman. Had great food and enjoyed the scenery. It is a beautiful state where I think you can have a good time no matter where you go.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 08:51:36 PM »
Minuteman Missile is kick butt.  Right at the exit for Badlands is the visitor station.  You can arrange a tour to get into the air force bunker where the dual keys would have been turned during the Cold War.  I believe it is only done once a day and I suspect the waiting list is long.  My timing has never worked.  About 10 miles further west on I-90, and only 200 yards off the freeway, is the Delta-9 launch site.  Each side (USA/USSR) was allowed to 'restore' one launch site for historical purposes.  One does a self guided cellphone tour.  Delta-9 was operational until only a few years ago.  There's a missile but no warhead in the silo.  Scary as hell. 

Now you know why the interstate highway out there is absolutely perfect.  Even today you can drive south of Rapid City on a road that rivals anything.  But there's no people or traffic to justify it.  Just today's modern launch sites if you know what to look for.  The route to Wind Cave takes you literally past the 'Keep out' fence where if you crossed you wouldn't look the same afterward.

And I almost never pass through the area without going to Devil's. I walk the loop trail around the tower every time.  Mystical.  Love it. 
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 09:04:40 PM by jsglow »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2019, 01:35:42 AM »
If Cheeks is retiring there, I'm out.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2019, 02:48:38 AM »

+1 compound in the woods
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

🏀

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2019, 05:32:28 AM »
Curious, what are ya looking for to spot the modern sites? I’m checking it out on Google Earth

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2019, 08:07:01 AM »
Curious, what are ya looking for to spot the modern sites? I’m checking it out on Google Earth

There's really nothing to see.  Just an understanding of exactly why scores of magnificent crossroads that seemingly go nowhere are there for.  The same phenomena exists around Area 51.  Those aren't built for nothing. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2019, 08:56:08 AM »
There's really nothing to see.  Just an understanding of exactly why scores of magnificent crossroads that seemingly go nowhere are there for.  The same phenomena exists around Area 51.  Those aren't built for nothing.

Holy crap!  I just googled "missile sites in Montana" which led me to a wiki page on it.  I didn't realize how many there were.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2019, 09:13:52 AM »
Holy crap!  I just googled "missile sites in Montana" which led me to a wiki page on it.  I didn't realize how many there were.

Yeah, once you know what you're looking for they stick out rather well on Google Earth

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2019, 10:16:50 AM »

Perfect, the fewer the people the better.  We will be armed and ready for the invaders and taking no prisoners.   ;D
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2019, 10:19:19 AM »

And I almost never pass through the area without going to Devil's. I walk the loop trail around the tower every time.  Mystical.  Love it.

Great thing is that 99% of tourists take the inner loop on their hike. Leaves the outer loop for those few of us who enjoy the beauty of, and want to commune with nature.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2019, 10:19:28 AM »
https://www.nps.gov/mimi/index.htm

Unfortunately in South Dakota, but worth the visit.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2019, 10:54:59 AM »
Then there's this about Wyoming & Montana & the western half of the Dakotas.

All-American Despair
For the past two decades, a suicide epidemic fueled by guns, poverty and isolation has swept across the West, with middle-aged men dying in record numbers

By STEPHEN RODRICK   
https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/suicide-rate-america-white-men-841576/

Goose

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2019, 11:08:12 AM »
Cheeks

Don't let them know you are from CA. I have several friends that live in Bozeman area and they cannot stand the CA transplants. It is a big topic of conversation out there.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2019, 11:16:58 AM »
Perfect, the fewer the people the better.  We will be armed and ready for the invaders and taking no prisoners.   ;D

Sounds perfect.  Will you, Billy, Dad and Hoop be sharing the same IP address there too?

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2019, 11:30:35 AM »
'Montana' is Spanish for 'mountain'.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2019, 12:07:12 PM »
Then there's this about Wyoming & Montana & the western half of the Dakotas.

All-American Despair
For the past two decades, a suicide epidemic fueled by guns, poverty and isolation has swept across the West, with middle-aged men dying in record numbers

By STEPHEN RODRICK   
https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/suicide-rate-america-white-men-841576/

So you’re saying there are benefits to gun ownership?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2019, 12:50:18 PM »
Cheeks

Don't let them know you are from CA. I have several friends that live in Bozeman area and they cannot stand the CA transplants. It is a big topic of conversation out there.

That's happening everywhere as people are scrambling to get out of California....state is an absolute mess.  Sad, so very sad.   People in Idaho pissed, Montana, Colorado, etc, because people are leaving here and in many ways changing their culture, their way of life.  I don't blame them, but this crap trap here is making many people say ENOUGH!  We next, cannot friggin wait.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 01:00:41 PM by Cheeks »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2019, 12:59:52 PM »
Sounds perfect.  Will you, Billy, Dad and Hoop be sharing the same IP address there too?

LOL.  Come up with the coins for the bet and happy to prove you wrong....all proceeds to charity. Offer still stands.  I guarantee you we don't share the same IP address.  I can't speak for Dad, but since I know Billy and where he lives and works, I can tell you that you are far off base. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2019, 01:05:04 PM »
Cheeks

Same in Texas. My buddies are pissed off that the CA transplants are allowed to vote so quickly.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2019, 01:09:32 PM »
So you’re saying there are benefits to gun ownership?

Yes. Protection.  Hunting.  Sport. 

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2019, 01:16:11 PM »
Cheeks

Same in Texas. My buddies are pissed off that the CA transplants are allowed to vote so quickly.

Why?

And let's not push the false narrative that everyone is leaving Cali.Their population increases every year (not aimed at your reply, Goose).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 01:19:28 PM by Jockey »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2019, 02:07:51 PM »
Why?

And let's not push the false narrative that everyone is leaving Cali.Their population increases every year (not aimed at your reply, Goose).

More people LEAVE than come in. The state is a net exporting population state now.  The only reason the state increases population is from in state population births, 480K in 2018, and international inbound, but that doesn't change that American citizens in California are leaving the state yearly than moving INTO the state...and it is currently accelerating according to the data. In the last few years, even with international inbounds, the net export of population has exceed all imports including international and domestic.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2019, 03:43:09 PM »
'Montana' is Spanish for 'mountain'.

"El Nino" is Spanish for "The Nino"

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2019, 06:33:23 PM »
Great thing is that 99% of tourists take the inner loop on their hike. Leaves the outer loop for those few of us who enjoy the beauty of, and want to commune with nature.

The outer loop is awesome when one has the time to linger.

Oh, and it's also nice how you guys are pissing all over Jockey's vaca thread.   ::) 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 06:36:13 PM by jsglow »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2019, 11:03:22 PM »
Jockey, which money exchange are ya planning on usin' to turn your loonies into greenbacks, aina?

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2019, 12:54:29 AM »
Jockey, which money exchange are ya planning on usin' to turn your loonies into greenbacks, aina?

Huh????

No clue what you're saying.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2019, 10:04:47 AM »
Illinois exodus might be worse.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2019, 04:33:30 PM »
Huh????

No clue what you're saying.

You live in Canada now, right?  You, stresisand, and the rest of the "going to Canada if he is elected" crowd.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2019, 05:12:38 PM »
You live in Canada now, right?  You, stresisand, and the rest of the "going to Canada if he is elected" crowd.

You wanna talk politics, go somewhere else. But thanks  :-\ for adding to the discussion.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2019, 07:31:53 AM »

Yup, he is committed to the cause.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2019, 02:11:31 PM »
Friend who just moved to Bozeman sent me this a few days ago.  She's loving every minute of it.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2019, 12:28:48 PM »
Great pic. I didn't realize why it is called Big Sky Country until I was out there. The sky really does feel bigger.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2019, 08:26:10 PM »
Minuteman Missile is kick butt.  Right at the exit for Badlands is the visitor station.  You can arrange a tour to get into the air force bunker where the dual keys would have been turned during the Cold War.  I believe it is only done once a day and I suspect the waiting list is long.  My timing has never worked.  About 10 miles further west on I-90, and only 200 yards off the freeway, is the Delta-9 launch site.  Each side (USA/USSR) was allowed to 'restore' one launch site for historical purposes.  One does a self guided cellphone tour.  Delta-9 was operational until only a few years ago.  There's a missile but no warhead in the silo.  Scary as hell. 

Now you know why the interstate highway out there is absolutely perfect.  Even today you can drive south of Rapid City on a road that rivals anything.  But there's no people or traffic to justify it.  Just today's modern launch sites if you know what to look for.  The route to Wind Cave takes you literally past the 'Keep out' fence where if you crossed you wouldn't look the same afterward.

Stopped at the missile site a couple days ago. It was outstanding. Showed both the brilliance and the madness of mankind at the same time.

A couple interesting things. One, I never realized when I drove out there when the kids were young that I was driving within a couple hundred yards of a live 120 megaton nuclear warhead. Two, I never realized missile sites were one of the reasons Eisenhower proposed the Interstate Highway system.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2019, 08:47:48 PM »
Mutually Assured Destruction

A beautiful thing.  Peace through Strength

tower912

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2019, 08:58:12 PM »
Friend who just moved to Bozeman sent me this a few days ago.  She's loving every minute of it.

That would drive me nucking futs.   I can handle about 1 day of staring into space, then I need to be doing something.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2019, 09:51:25 PM »

Is that the town meth factory there in the foreground?

PorkysButthole

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2019, 11:01:44 PM »
Movin to Montana Soon......Gonna Be a Dental Floss Tycoon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmcYTShN4Fk

Porky's Favorite Part is at 3:39 Check it out!

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2019, 11:21:34 AM »
Stopped at the missile site a couple days ago. It was outstanding. Showed both the brilliance and the madness of mankind at the same time.

A couple interesting things. One, I never realized when I drove out there when the kids were young that I was driving within a couple hundred yards of a live 120 megaton nuclear warhead. Two, I never realized missile sites were one of the reasons Eisenhower proposed the Interstate Highway system.

Spooky, isn't it? Totally worth the short stop.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2019, 08:16:23 PM »
Is that the town meth factory there in the foreground?

I hope so

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2019, 11:22:17 AM »
"El Nino" is Spanish for "The Nino"

"Fluffy Blue Monster" is Spanish for "Sultan"

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2019, 11:24:34 AM »

Amazing how nobody ever said "I am moving to Mexico!"

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2019, 12:24:30 PM »

Jockey’s Canadian flag exhibit 18373727273

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2019, 07:52:59 PM »

Aw f**k. He’s back.

But the good news is that the d-bag won’t be here long.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2019, 09:51:07 PM »

that sounds a little violent with too many guns and white privilege  mistreating the helpless indigenous people-i think jockstrap would do best pulling into the nearest jellystone park and play computer games in the open air
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 09:53:25 PM by rocket surgeon »
don't...don't don't don't don't

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2019, 11:05:29 PM »
Aw f**k. He’s back.

But the good news is that the d-bag won’t be here long.

The douche bag is leaving?? Are you headed back to Ottawa?

feedback