[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: UConn to BE Rumors  (Read 154369 times)

D'Lo Brown

• All American
Re: UConn to BE Rumors
« Reply #175 on: June 23, 2019, 06:14:46 PM »
Look, I'm not totally opposed to it...but as I have said, I look at these things from a ON THE FLOOR product only. At this moment, UCONN's on the floor product is nothing to write home about, and I wonder if they ever will be again. Maybe/hopefully they will be, but the people that think just because UCONN is back in the Big East means they will go back closer to there glory days..that remains to be seen.

If this was going to be the end result anyway, then what would the harm have been of the BE waiting another couple of years to see if Uconn could turn their program around again. With the idea being that if they could do it in the AAC, they certainly could do it in the Big East. Just as the other side would be true...if they have shown they can't even do it in the AAC(and the last few years they have been terrible), then there's no guarantee they will regain what they had under Calhoun. Will they be better than they have been?? Most likely, but if that's just a middling program from now on, was it worth that from the on the floor product??

Hurley has been the coach since the Spring of last year. His first actual recruiting class is ranked in the top 25, and they are likely to wind up in that range again in 2020.

For comparison, the 2017 recruiting class was rated #84 by 247, and 2018 was rated #117. Those were big time outliers in Uconn men's hoops recruiting and coincided with the downturn you are generalizing onto the entirety of the program.

Ollie was perhaps worse as an in-game coach than he was as a recruiter. And he had an awful record developing supremely talented players (which likely led to being unable to recruit said talent in the end of his tenure). Poof, they hire Hurley and suddenly the talent starts flowing in again.

I am even perplexed on how to place blame on the Ollie situation because what was the school even supposed to do? He won a national championship in his second season and had to sign an extension at that point. I don't know how you can read into that and use it as proof that the program itself is crippled.

Do you really think that, if we had won a championship in year 2 of Wojo, that we wouldn't have stuck it out with him for at least a few more years even if he struggled badly?

leever

• All American
« Reply #176 on: June 23, 2019, 06:22:52 PM »
Now I said I wanted the internet shut down?? Really?? Really Chicos. You do this BS with EVERYONE you argue with here. You make things up that they say, to try to make yourself feel better. You always like to say "facts matter". Fact is, Deane's record over 5 years was better then Wojo's has been. Indisputable fact. But of course, because you get your ass whipped in most arguments here, you always want to add a "but...but...but" to things. You will use whatever you need to fit your argument, EVERYONE knows it. Why do you think you get called out so much??

Someone could give you 100% proof that the earth is round, and you would say something like "but...what was the shape of it, before anyone knew it was round, that matters". Whatever.
but, but, but.....................the earth is an oblate spheroid, not quite round

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #177 on: June 23, 2019, 07:31:01 PM »
There have been several mentions in the Hartford Courant that U Conn will be paying an entrance fee,not participating in NCAA units for many years and also an exit to the AAC.
https://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-huskies/hc-sp-uconn-big-east-basketball-football-aac-espn-fox-20190623-20190623-jdcbgzno6vghvn6bati5skne7a-story.html
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #178 on: June 23, 2019, 08:01:25 PM »
There have been several mentions in the Hartford Courant that U Conn will be paying an entrance fee,not participating in NCAA units for many years and also an exit to the AAC.
https://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-huskies/hc-sp-uconn-big-east-basketball-football-aac-espn-fox-20190623-20190623-jdcbgzno6vghvn6bati5skne7a-story.html

Decent, but ESPN+ isn’t going to feel much of this at all.... mouse nuts impact.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

muguru

• All American
« Reply #179 on: June 23, 2019, 09:12:49 PM »
Obviously no idea what this guy does or doesn't know...just passing it along, from the UCONN board...

kansashusky said:
So I am located in the Midwest, and not linked up very strong in New England. But I was at an event yesterday and got to talk to some Big East basketball coaches and they believe Gonzaga will be next and there will be 6 east teams and 6 west teams.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #180 on: June 23, 2019, 09:35:16 PM »
Hurley has been the coach since the Spring of last year. His first actual recruiting class is ranked in the top 25, and they are likely to wind up in that range again in 2020.

For comparison, the 2017 recruiting class was rated #84 by 247, and 2018 was rated #117. Those were big time outliers in Uconn men's hoops recruiting and coincided with the downturn you are generalizing onto the entirety of the program.

Ollie was perhaps worse as an in-game coach than he was as a recruiter. And he had an awful record developing supremely talented players (which likely led to being unable to recruit said talent in the end of his tenure). Poof, they hire Hurley and suddenly the talent starts flowing in again.

Yessir, I'd be very surprised if UConn isn't very good again quite soon.

I'm pretty sure that at least some of those doubting UConn's ability to get better under Hurley were among those who stated they wish we had hired him.

Eight pages into this thread, I haven't seen a single thing about this that is bad for the Big East. And the only thing that might be even 1 iota bad for Marquette is if it now prevents a renewal of the ND rivalry -- something that nobody has proof would have actually happened anyway.

I am very glad an original Big East member -- a program that has won as many national titles the last 2 decades as Kentucky, Kansas, Michigan State and Louisville combined -- is returning to our iconic basketball conference.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #181 on: June 23, 2019, 09:48:40 PM »
Obviously no idea what this guy does or doesn't know...just passing it along, from the UCONN board...

kansashusky said:
So I am located in the Midwest, and not linked up very strong in New England. But I was at an event yesterday and got to talk to some Big East basketball coaches and they believe Gonzaga will be next and there will be 6 east teams and 6 west teams.

Hmm...I just don't see it. Even if you divvy it to two different divisions, it would guarantee unbalanced schedules unless they do either 16 or 22 game schedules, both of which sound like non-starters. Maybe they don't care about that, but it seems to be a feather in the cap.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #182 on: June 23, 2019, 10:03:21 PM »
Yessir, I'd be very surprised if UConn isn't very good again quite soon.

I'm pretty sure that at least some of those doubting UConn's ability to get better under Hurley were among those who stated they wish we had hired him.

Eight pages into this thread, I haven't seen a single thing about this that is bad for the Big East. And the only thing that might be even 1 iota bad for Marquette is if it now prevents a renewal of the ND rivalry -- something that nobody has proof would have actually happened anyway.

I am very glad an original Big East member -- a program that has won as many national titles the last 2 decades as Kentucky, Kansas, Michigan State and Louisville combined -- is returning to our iconic basketball conference.

This is the only post required on the subject. How is this even close to a controversy?? All upside, no downside, a transaction you enter into 100 times out of 100 without a moment's hesitation.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #183 on: June 23, 2019, 10:17:36 PM »
Hmm...I just don't see it. Even if you divvy it to two different divisions, it would guarantee unbalanced schedules unless they do either 16 or 22 game schedules, both of which sound like non-starters. Maybe they don't care about that, but it seems to be a feather in the cap.

I'm also very skeptical of this.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #184 on: June 23, 2019, 10:52:57 PM »

Depaul, MU, Creighton Butler and X would really be getting the short end of the stick traveling out to Gonzaga. That's a heck of a trip vs what everyone else would be doing in the east.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #185 on: June 23, 2019, 10:58:29 PM »
I think the double round robin is a priority for BE leadership. I don't see a scenario in the near future where they add a 12th team.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #186 on: June 23, 2019, 11:22:43 PM »
Depaul, MU, Creighton Butler and X would really be getting the short end of the stick traveling out to Gonzaga. That's a heck of a trip vs what everyone else would be doing in the east.

People only think about men’s basketball too. Like Gonzaga is going to send their baseball team to St John’s or Seton Hall every year while Gonzaga sends their volleyball team to Providence and UConn annually. It’s not happening. Other than basketball, GU doesn’t win titles in the WCC...and they didn’t win any titles this past season in anything.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #187 on: June 24, 2019, 04:40:07 AM »
Multiple articles have said that a big driver for UConn leaving the AAC was how the AAC leadership disregarded UConn's connection to the SNY network.

I'm not familiar with how the UConn/SNY relationship works, but does moving to the Big East somehow keep UConn happy with regards to SNY?

UConn had a deal with SNY for like $2mil a year to televise all the women's games, and any men's games or home football games that weren't being televised elsewhere.  Plus the Coaches all had weekly shows.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #188 on: June 24, 2019, 08:41:17 AM »
Some local info and opinion.

Big East move may be right call
But questions remain as UConn prepares to jump leagues
JEFF JACOBS

https://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ODN/NewHavenRegister/Default.aspx

Why is UConn headed to the Big East and at what cost? Here’s what we know and don’t know
By DAN BRECHLIN | HARTFORD COURANT |
JUN 24, 2019 | 6:00 AM

https://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-huskies/hc-sp-clb-uconn-big-east-tv-contracts-20190623-20190624-llej757tybahrn7rs7under64i-story.html

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #189 on: June 24, 2019, 09:09:24 AM »
If UConn (re)joins the Big East as rumored, I'll admit I didn't see it coming. More so from UConn's standpoint than anything else.

The move would essentially mean the abandonment of a 20+ year strategy, one in which the university and the state of Connecticut have invested hundreds of millions of dollars. Here's how UConn originally justified upgrading the football program:

"Division I-A football will contribute to UConn's standing as a nationally recognized university and help move us into the top ranks of public institutions of higher education. The public tends to judge institutions by their peers; virtually every major public university with a strong academic reputation can also lay claim to a significant athletic program. Major athletic programs at schools like Michigan, North Carolina and Virginia have been helpful to these institutions as they have sought to recruit outstanding students and faculty and they will be helpful to similar efforts here."

http://www.advance.uconn.edu/1997/971027/fballqa.htm

UConn compared itself to Michigan, North Carolina and Virginia. This was more than 15 years before the breakup of the Big East. And it reinforces the main difference between UConn and our current membership. Marquette, Villanova and Xavier are not "major public universities." For the administration, football was more than a revenue source or just another athletic program. It was tied directly to their view of UConn's standing in the academic world.

You can argue this was a flawed hypothesis from the beginning, or an ill-advised and very expensive bet. But the move was as much about perception as it was about reality. Which may explain why UConn took so long to acknowledge what anyone outside Storrs already knew: UConn would not be invited to join the ranks of "major public universities." The bet was a bust. And throwing so much time, money and effort into football was taking down the entire athletic program.

Moving to the Big East will not help UConn take football to the next level. It's an admission of failure. There is no better place for the program outside the AAC (which will actually be stronger without UConn). Competing in the MAC would mean less exposure and relevance; competing as an independent even more so. Either way, the program -- and the grand plan -- is effectively done for.

But as we've seen with Marquette and the Big East schools, football is not the only path to success as a university. Hopefully UConn has learned its lesson and is ready to move on.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 01:21:50 PM by Marcus92 »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #190 on: June 24, 2019, 09:26:33 AM »
Yep,  sunk cost fallacy is a b*tch
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #191 on: June 24, 2019, 10:34:26 AM »

JEFF JACOBS

https://www.middletownpress.com/sports/article/Jeff-Jacobs-Move-to-Big-East-could-be-right-14030991.php

Why is UConn headed to the Big East and at what cost? Here’s what we know and don’t know

https://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-huskies/hc-sp-clb-uconn-big-east-tv-contracts-20190623-20190624-llej757tybahrn7rs7under64i-story.html

I fixed the first link. It was going through some other software portal to nowhere for me.

https://www.middletownpress.com/sports/article/Jeff-Jacobs-Move-to-Big-East-could-be-right-14030991.php

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #192 on: June 24, 2019, 10:46:54 AM »
UConn will/should play football as an independent.  They can go on the road 7-8 weeks a year, get paid a ton by Power conferences teams for "buy" games.  They can do home-and-homes with some other schools willing to visit Connecticut in the fall.  Perhaps they can work out a TV deal for their home games, but it becomes less important if you're getting 7 figures to lose to an SEC school.  In fact, the Big Ten and SEC are always looking for mid-season buy games.

Other notable Division 1 independents include UMass, Army, BYU and New Mexico State.  If you scheduled those 4, similar to MU's old fellow independents (DePaul, ND, Dayton), 5-6 get bought games, and a few others, you got yourself a program with a sustainable revenue flow.

UMass & Army could become their rivals.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #193 on: June 24, 2019, 10:52:11 AM »

JEFF JACOBS

https://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ODN/NewHavenRegister/Default.aspx

Thanks for this.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

muguru

• All American
« Reply #194 on: June 24, 2019, 11:44:28 AM »
Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein  26m 
Sources: The Big East will hold an official vote today on whether or not to add UConn as an 11th member of the conference. 

I will be curious to find out if it passes unanimously, and if not, who opposed it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 11:49:41 AM by muguru »
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #195 on: June 24, 2019, 11:52:12 AM »
Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein  26m 
Sources: The Big East will hold an official vote today on whether or not to add UConn as an 11th member of the conference. 

I will be curious to find out if it passes unanimously, and if not, who opposed it.

https://twitter.com/mattnorlander/status/1143192997791711237?s=21
@MattNorlander
Matt Norlander Retweeted Jon Rothstein
I was told Big East presidents already held their call this morning to formally vote and approve for UConn to rejoin the league.

The next step, as @CBSSports previously reported, will be for UConn’s Board of Trustees to vote this into action. That’s scheduled for Wednesday.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 11:53:45 AM by Skatastrophy »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #196 on: June 24, 2019, 11:59:43 AM »
It will be unanimous even if it really isn’t.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #197 on: June 24, 2019, 12:24:56 PM »
UConn will/should play football as an independent.  They can go on the road 7-8 weeks a year, get paid a ton by Power conferences teams for "buy" games.  They can do home-and-homes with some other schools willing to visit Connecticut in the fall.  Perhaps they can work out a TV deal for their home games, but it becomes less important if you're getting 7 figures to lose to an SEC school.  In fact, the Big Ten and SEC are always looking for mid-season buy games.

Other notable Division 1 independents include UMass, Army, BYU and New Mexico State.  If you scheduled those 4, similar to MU's old fellow independents (DePaul, ND, Dayton), 5-6 get bought games, and a few others, you got yourself a program with a sustainable revenue flow.

UMass & Army could become their rivals.

Totally agree.

Arguably, their schedule would be stronger in most years with this approach, raising their profile. It would also free the program to develop natural rivals as opposed to perpetual annoyances like East Carolina (?!) or Tulsa.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #198 on: June 24, 2019, 12:32:47 PM »
wHaT iF tHeY lEaVe ThE bIg EaSt?!?

Honestly, who cares if they leave. We'll be right back where we are. The other 10 aren't going anywhere. Even if this arrangement only lasts 5-7 years, there is no denying it is good for the league. Welcome back UCONN, we'll take you as long as you want to be here.

UConn is going to be indy in football until (if?) they ever get their program together....going to schedule Syracuse, UMass, Rutgers, BC, Army, etc. to keep travel costs low. I suspect they will do this as long as their program remains pitiful. If they ever get it together maybe they will get an invite from a Power 5...but they are years, maybe even decades, from that happening (if it ever happens at all), so in the meantime, they are a net positive to everyone in the Big East.

I am pumped for a 20 game round robin.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 12:37:39 PM by Coleman »

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #199 on: June 24, 2019, 12:48:47 PM »
Maybe it has already been mentioned here, but didn't the deal with FOX increase in value if the Big East added a team?  Does anyone remember what it increased to?