[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Ike  (Read 27528 times)

swoopem

• All American
Re: Ike
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2019, 11:02:01 AM »
Has anyone seen Ike play?  Do we know anything about his level of play and can he compete in Big East level of play?  If Theo and Morrow are in foul trouble can he step in and at least play quality Defense?

I saw him play his sophomore or junior year of high school when he was on the loaded team with Cassius Winston. They played my Brother Rice Warriors and lost actually. I was not impressed at all. Physical freak who didn’t do anything against 6’3 white kids.

I understand that was 5+ years ago and before I even knew MU was looking at him but at the time I thought he wasn’t any good.

Also, I should say that I think that was only his second year playing basketball so he was very raw
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 11:04:30 AM by swoopem »
Bring back FFP!!!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2019, 12:02:04 PM »
Again, your fake news journalistic conflating tendencies keep rearing their ugly head. Yes every single one of the players was recruited with an upside projection case.

Let’s take Derrick , I followed his prep school career as one of my kids competed against him in other sports . Derrick was an Elite level athlete . One of the best football players in the region and possesses explosive speed size and strength . He had multiple high major basketball offers as well as football. He chose Basketball.  Your old enough to remember Quinn Buckner. That was the type of player Derrick was hoped to become. Obviously it didn’t work out.

Matt Heldt was a kid whose stock was rising and it appeared as if he had a decent combination of offensive skills and basketball IQ. It was hoped that Matt was going to become in the style of Big Men that Wisconsin had done well with. Izzo was even sniffing around. Obviously Matt did not hit the upside projection.

Jake Thomas was a transfer from a low level D1 program.  He had several very big games at his former school . The projection was he would become an elite lights out shooter. Obviously it didn’t work out that way.

The common thread in all three cases aside from all missing their upside potential was there was enough base line material that these players were still able to become starters at times and compete in a serviceable fashion.

Ok now let’s look at Andrew Rowsey. He was recruited by no one other than UNC Asheville. He showed promise there and Was recruited to be an elite lights out shooter by MU. In his case it did work out.

Players are recruited with an  upside case ,base case and worse case.

Again, I never said Ike or any other recruit wasn't brought with an upside case in mind. I said he was not a "big-time recruit." And he wasn't.

The rest of your post (including your politics-tinged insults) was a mix of gibberish, silliness and childishness.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2019, 12:10:48 PM »
Again, your fake news journalistic conflating tendencies keep rearing their ugly head. Yes every single one of the players was recruited with an upside projection case.

Let’s take Derrick , I followed his prep school career as one of my kids competed against him in other sports . Derrick was an Elite level athlete . One of the best football players in the region and possesses explosive speed size and strength . He had multiple high major basketball offers as well as football. He chose Basketball.  Your old enough to remember Quinn Buckner. That was the type of player Derrick was hoped to become. Obviously it didn’t work out.

Matt Heldt was a kid whose stock was rising and it appeared as if he had a decent combination of offensive skills and basketball IQ. It was hoped that Matt was going to become in the style of Big Men that Wisconsin had done well with. Izzo was even sniffing around. Obviously Matt did not hit the upside projection.

Jake Thomas was a transfer from a low level D1 program.  He had several very big games at his former school . The projection was he would become an elite lights out shooter. Obviously it didn’t work out that way.

The common thread in all three cases aside from all missing their upside potential was there was enough base line material that these players were still able to become starters at times and compete in a serviceable fashion.

Ok now let’s look at Andrew Rowsey. He was recruited by no one other than UNC Asheville. He showed promise there and Was recruited to be an elite lights out shooter by MU. In his case it did work out.

Jake Thomas only got a scholarship for his final season because of the Vander Blue departure.  He was never projected to be a "elite lights out shooter."  He was projected to bring depth to the bench and possibly hit a couple shots now and then.  He only started because of Buzz's recruiting misses his last couple of years.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2019, 01:18:43 PM »
Marquette only gives scholarships to athletes who are projected to be big time players . Some don’t reach the goal but going in that is the standard . That is the standard at every high major school not just Marquette . That is how college athletics works .

Heldt was never going to be a big time player. He was, is, and ever will be a bench depth guy. Same with Ike. They were brought in to fill out the bench.

Every big time team does this.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2019, 02:22:08 PM »
Heldt was never going to be a big time player. He was, is, and ever will be a bench depth guy. Same with Ike. They were brought in to fill out the bench.

Wasn’t Heldt a RSCI top 100 recruit?

Boone

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2019, 02:46:25 PM »
I was never a big Heldt fan, but to imply that he didn’t get the most out of his talent is the dumbest post I’ve ever read. Congrats on lowering your own stupidity bar!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 02:48:18 PM by Boone »

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2019, 02:47:57 PM »
Marquette is not a program that will attract top-tier players every year. Maybe a few top 10-20 guys every few years, but the reality is MU should recruit the best they can manage or take a gamble on some upside. Surely no player has ever been recruited with expectations of never playing or contributing. It just works out that way. Especially with big men as the best talent generally disperses among the blue bloods.

What separates the programs in the same tier as Marquette is coaching. Which coaching staff will get the most out of the players who flew under the radar? Nova is a great example.

I was never a big Heldt fan, but to imply that he didn’t get the most out of his talent is effing moronic!

I wish Heldt was developed into a pick and pop player or at least give him some looks from three. He could shoot a bit in high school, and also a great FT shooter. I kind of expected they would have developed his outside game more. But what do I know?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2019, 03:21:55 PM »

I was never a big Heldt fan, but to imply that he didn’t get the most out of his talent is the dumbest post I’ve ever read. Congrats on lowering your own stupidity bar!

Stop it, guys! 9-9-9 says Heldt was recruited to be a "big-time player," so it's official.

Awwww, shucky ducky!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2019, 04:08:59 PM »
Wasn’t Heldt a RSCI top 100 recruit?

Just outside the RSCI top 100 (120). His high ranking was biased by a 75 ranking on scout. Most other services had him around 140, or unranked.

Some on here and other Marquette boards talked up the 75 ranking as him being a top 100 kid.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 05:31:18 PM by forgetful »

Class71

• All American
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2019, 04:58:28 PM »

Little aggressive today?
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2019, 08:36:10 PM »

So your son went to one of the Eight Schools Association in New England? Small world, I was a track athlete at one of them and traveled to all at least once a year for 3 years and know them very well, which one did he attend? I'm really curious...
Goal is National Championship

Boone

• All American
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2019, 09:50:27 AM »
Apologies to Herman. While I still contend that Heldt got the most of his ability, my tone was uncalled for and anti-social.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2019, 08:54:03 AM »

So the projection was that Jake Thomas would become an elite lights out shooter but all they offered him was a walk-on spot, which he accepted?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2019, 05:42:46 PM »

No answer yet. Fake account, which of the Eight Schools Association your son attend? Bring it you BS poster....

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2019, 07:17:54 PM »
Herman’s probably busy traveling with recruits and hasn’t had time to answer.

I think generally I trust Scoopers when they talk about themselves or what they have done. He is probably the biggest exception to that.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2019, 07:29:33 PM »
No answer yet. Fake account, which of the Eight Schools Association your son attend? Bring it you BS poster....
First of all any intelligent person doesn't disclose specific personal details on a public website. Second, the football schedule of schools in the Eight Schools Association is not exclusive to those schools. If you were sincerely interested you could have easily PM'd me,  which people on this site do have done when they have questions.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2019, 07:37:53 PM »
First of all any intelligent person doesn't disclose specific personal details on a public website. Second, the football schedule of schools in the Eight Schools Association is not exclusive to those schools. If you were sincerely interested you could have easily PM'd me,  which people on this site do have done when they have questions.
Lol what a fake and no knowledge NMH '79 alumnus and track and field Hall of Fame member. '78-'79 undefeated season New England Champs. What a fake put up or STFU. You are a total BS fake lol. Everyone this guy is lying.. Looser

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2019, 08:24:36 PM »
Lol what a fake and no knowledge NMH '79 alumnus and track and field Hall of Fame member. '78-'79 undefeated season New England Champs. What a fake put up or STFU. You are a total BS fake lol. Everyone this guy is lying.. Looser
Sorry but the only person exhibiting a lack of knowledge is you.

You didn't bother to take the time to read the post I made. Since you are obviously someone who needs things put in Black and White, Hotchkiss plays a football schedule that includes teams not in the Eight Association Schools.

Congratulations on your track and field success though.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2019, 08:27:15 PM »

You didn't bother to take the time to read the post I made. Since you are obviously someone who needs things put in Black and White, Hotchkiss plays a football schedule that includes teams not in the Eight Association Schools.

Are you accompanying Grimes on his visits to the Texas schools? Or was that just his MU visit the first time he was going through the recruiting process?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2019, 09:26:58 PM »

Guess what you are lying, out of conference they only play division II college teams. You're so full of $$$hyt is not even funny. This guy is exposed....

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2019, 09:33:34 PM »
Guess what you are lying, out of conference they only play division II college teams. You're so full of $$$hyt is not even funny. This guy is exposed....
I think you have been drinking too much.

---Al McGuire

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2019, 09:38:16 PM »
The Underboard is on to you.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2019, 09:39:07 PM »
I think you have been drinking too much.
Weak liar. You're a complete BS account. MODS

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2019, 09:49:19 PM »
I think the person who is lying and has an ax to grind is you.

Here is Hotchkiss football schedule. Please identify the Division II college teams on the schedule .

https://www.hotchkiss.org/athletics/our-teams/football/varsity
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 09:51:27 PM by Herman Cain »
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2019, 09:55:58 PM »
Are you accompanying Grimes on his visits to the Texas schools? Or was that just his MU visit the first time he was going through the recruiting process?
As usual , statements are distorted and misrepresented by you.

I happened to be at the Al and other campus locations and observed Grimes recruitment. I reported what I saw. Never said I was accompanying him on the visit.
                       ---Al McGuire

feedback