'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Ike  (Read 27527 times)

BCHoopster

• All American
Re: Ike
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2019, 10:45:27 PM »
i think he meant he was a big time recruit for that class, has a lot of potential still

Then again, he may have no potential in his body.  It will be 3 years since he played, he probably will not help next year, if he can it would really help if he can guard the 4

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2019, 10:52:04 PM »
i think he meant he was a big time recruit for that class

Pretty dangerous trying to get into 9-9-9's mind.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2019, 12:10:31 AM »
To quote the great philosopher Fonzie:

I like Ike. My bike likes Ike.
Like a great commercial back in Jordan's day....'Like Ike, if I can be like Ike"...

No player one pulls for more than Ike once he is able to contribute. . . and he will one day.

Great young man... I know first-hand. Big fan...

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2019, 11:16:09 AM »
I think any contribution from Ike greater than zero is a bonus.  I certainly hope he can contribute, but expectations for a guy who was not fully polished when he arrived, who then had to sit out for two full years, the reason being a serious back issue...again anything greater than zero a win for Ike and the program.

My expectations are set at a Mike Kinsella level 58 career points. I hope Ike hits the over.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2019, 11:18:50 AM »
Like a great commercial back in Jordan's day....'Like Ike, if I can be like Ike"...

No player one pulls for more than Ike once he is able to contribute. . . and he will one day.

Great young man... I know first-hand. Big fan...

Do you know if he's friends with Dexter?  Thanks
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2019, 11:21:05 AM »
A healthy season and a few minutes here and there is a success.  Anything more is gravy.  You don't need him this year baring injury.  If he can start to actually contribute next year great!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2019, 10:43:47 PM »
How many #361-ranked players on 247 are considered "big time" recruits?
At one point OG Anunoby was ranked # 360. He was a first round draft pick and plays for the Tornoto Raptors .

https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/OG-Anunoby-at-Jefferson-City-66669/RecruitRankHistory/
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2019, 11:34:21 PM »
At one point OG Anunoby was ranked # 360. He was a first round draft pick and plays for the Tornoto Raptors .

https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/OG-Anunoby-at-Jefferson-City-66669/RecruitRankHistory/

I didn't ask how many relatively low-rated recruits end up in the NBA. I'm sure it happens every so often.

I asked how often it is that the #361 ranked recruit is characterized as "big time" by its fan base.

I mean, Frank Kaminsky was #224 in his class and he ended up being a fine college player who is making good dough in the NBA. But I don't think many college basketball observers, even in Madison, considered him a "big time recruit" way back when.

I'm not disparaging Ike at all. I just think it's curious that you would characterize the #361 ranked recruit as "big time" when he clearly wasn't.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2019, 11:36:41 PM »

I'm not sure of the accuracy of that. Annuoby was in the class of 2015. The #360 ranking you quoted is dated 2017. I'm not sure why a 2015 kid would have a ranking from 2017. Not sure what that numbers is.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2019, 05:10:39 PM »
I would love to see Ike contribute, but I am not expecting anything. A serious back injury is a really tough thing to recover from...and Ike had surgery and has still been struggling.

Now prove me wrong, young fella!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2019, 06:04:21 PM »
Ike was recruited to be a big time player for MU. He got seriously hurt. Under those circumstances the scholarship does not get taken away. If he can't play anymore, they medically retire him and the scholarship , while honored, does not count toward the 13. If he can play, but at a lower level than once thought, then that is just the way it goes and he then becomes the 12 or 13th guy on the roster and is there really as a supportive guy for the team. This scenario happens a lot in college sports. Lets keep hoping and praying that Ike recovers

I didn't ask how many relatively low-rated recruits end up in the NBA. I'm sure it happens every so often.

I asked how often it is that the #361 ranked recruit is characterized as "big time" by its fan base.

I mean, Frank Kaminsky was #224 in his class and he ended up being a fine college player who is making good dough in the NBA. But I don't think many college basketball observers, even in Madison, considered him a "big time recruit" way back when.

I'm not disparaging Ike at all. I just think it's curious that you would characterize the #361 ranked recruit as "big time" when he clearly wasn't.

If you would have taken the time to read ( instead of conflating what I wrote) I said Ike was recruited to be a Big Time Player. I did not label him a Big Time recruit. Ike was recognized as a young player with enormous upside who also was very inexperienced( many people described him as raw) playing the game as he started at a late age.  Ike when healthy is a pogo stick , who can run all day long, rim protect and has a nice jumper out to 17 feet. He is the kind of

Ike committed to MU relatively early in the summer heading up to his Senior year so he took himself off the market. Prior to that his stock was rising off the big Junior season he had at Detroit Jesuit. Xavier and Pitt both offered. MSU  and ISU were  watching and evaluating closely.    Experienced basketball people  recognized ,and value ,team success in certain high school environments like Detroit , where there are lots of quality players and a great game day environment.

I have not been a fan of Wojo, but I have consistently recognized his recruiting ability and part of that is his talent evaluation , especially for the rising  stock players.  Ike was one of those.

Ike  was red shirted the same way Justin Patton at Creighton was. The plan was for Ike to practice and get a feel for the flow of the game.

Lets all support Ike.   His return to health would be Huge for MU.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2019, 07:34:04 PM »
I'm not sure of the accuracy of that. Annuoby was in the class of 2015. The #360 ranking you quoted is dated 2017. I'm not sure why a 2015 kid would have a ranking from 2017. Not sure what that numbers is.

RSCI had Annuoby rated 261. An interesting side point, there is usually a player drafted every year that had an RSCI rating in the 200's.

Zhaire Smith is another interesting one. Ranked in the 200's and a 1 and done.

Now back to Ike. Very solid individual. Has some unique talents. Hope he contributes, but even if he doesn't, he'll be a valuable member of the team.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 07:40:15 PM by forgetful »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2019, 07:39:26 PM »
Yeah butt, Ike neva rote know letter, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dnice

• Walk-On
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2019, 09:46:02 PM »
Has anyone seen Ike play?  Do we know anything about his level of play and can he compete in Big East level of play?  If Theo and Morrow are in foul trouble can he step in and at least play quality Defense?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2019, 10:23:01 PM »
Do you know if he's friends with Dexter?  Thanks
Dexter cited Ike as being one of the reasons he committed to MU.
                       ---Al McGuire

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2019, 12:46:38 AM »
Dexter cited Ike as being one of the reasons he committed to MU.

Thanks, Herman.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2019, 06:04:27 AM »
I wish to put a poster on "Ignore.'  Can someone tell me how to do so?  Thanks.
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2019, 06:27:57 AM »
I wish to put a poster on "Ignore.'  Can someone tell me how to do so?  Thanks.

profile/buddies-ignore list/ignore list/name
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2019, 09:07:45 PM »
RSCI had Annuoby rated 261. An interesting side point, there is usually a player drafted every year that had an RSCI rating in the 200's.

So you're sayin' there's a chance!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2019, 09:18:19 PM »
If you would have taken the time to read ( instead of conflating what I wrote) I said Ike was recruited to be a Big Time Player. I did not label him a Big Time recruit. Ike was recognized as a young player with enormous upside who also was very inexperienced( many people described him as raw) playing the game as he started at a late age.  Ike when healthy is a pogo stick , who can run all day long, rim protect and has a nice jumper out to 17 feet. He is the kind of

Ike committed to MU relatively early in the summer heading up to his Senior year so he took himself off the market. Prior to that his stock was rising off the big Junior season he had at Detroit Jesuit. Xavier and Pitt both offered. MSU  and ISU were  watching and evaluating closely.    Experienced basketball people  recognized ,and value ,team success in certain high school environments like Detroit , where there are lots of quality players and a great game day environment.

I have not been a fan of Wojo, but I have consistently recognized his recruiting ability and part of that is his talent evaluation , especially for the rising  stock players.  Ike was one of those.

Ike  was red shirted the same way Justin Patton at Creighton was. The plan was for Ike to practice and get a feel for the flow of the game.

Lets all support Ike.   His return to health would be Huge for MU.

I root for Ike.

Still wasn't recruited to be a "big-time player."

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2019, 09:58:50 PM »
I root for Ike.

Still wasn't recruited to be a "big-time player."
Marquette only gives scholarships to athletes who are projected to be big time players . Some don’t reach the goal but going in that is the standard . That is the standard at every high major school not just Marquette . That is how college athletics works .

---Al McGuire

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2019, 10:03:51 PM »
Marquette only gives scholarships to athletes who are projected to be big time players . Some don’t reach the goal but going in that is the standard . That is the standard at every high major school not just Marquette . That is how college athletics works .

Why do you post so often?  You type a lot of words to say very little.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2019, 10:22:41 PM »

Ah. That clears things up for me.

Jake Thomas, Derrick Wilson, Matt Heldt, etc ... all projected to be "big-time players."

If you get a scholarship to Marquette, that's what they expect from all of 'em. Got it.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2019, 10:26:05 PM »

Oh brother......give me a break.

Take a look at the Bigs we have recruited over the years.......just about all of them were projects ......Otule, Dwight Burke, Ooze, Heldt, Mcmorrow, Patrick Hazeland of course Youss!

Hell even Gardner was a low rated overweight reach who turned out much better then anyone could have hoped.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 10:35:02 PM by MuMark »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2019, 11:30:11 PM »
Ah. That clears things up for me.

Jake Thomas, Derrick Wilson, Matt Heldt, etc ... all projected to be "big-time players."

If you get a scholarship to Marquette, that's what they expect from all of 'em. Got it.
Again, your fake news journalistic conflating tendencies keep rearing their ugly head. Yes every single one of the players was recruited with an upside projection case.

Let’s take Derrick , I followed his prep school career as one of my kids competed against him in other sports . Derrick was an Elite level athlete . One of the best football players in the region and possesses explosive speed size and strength . He had multiple high major basketball offers as well as football. He chose Basketball.  Your old enough to remember Quinn Buckner. That was the type of player Derrick was hoped to become. Obviously it didn’t work out.

Matt Heldt was a kid whose stock was rising and it appeared as if he had a decent combination of offensive skills and basketball IQ. It was hoped that Matt was going to become in the style of Big Men that Wisconsin had done well with. Izzo was even sniffing around. Obviously Matt did not hit the upside projection.

Jake Thomas was a transfer from a low level D1 program.  He had several very big games at his former school . The projection was he would become an elite lights out shooter. Obviously it didn’t work out that way.

The common thread in all three cases aside from all missing their upside potential was there was enough base line material that these players were still able to become starters at times and compete in a serviceable fashion.

Ok now let’s look at Andrew Rowsey. He was recruited by no one other than UNC Asheville. He showed promise there and Was recruited to be an elite lights out shooter by MU. In his case it did work out.

Players are recruited with an  upside case ,base case and worse case.
                       ---Al McGuire

feedback