[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Excellent Research Report on Joey By MSU Beat Writer  (Read 11140 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Excellent Research Report on Joey By MSU Beat Writer
« on: May 28, 2019, 09:31:55 PM »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
Re: Excellent Research Report on Joey By MSU Beat Writer
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 10:36:42 PM »
I really hope these kids have productive NBA careers. It’s not a good omen that a photo piece on former MSU o-lineman and Packers “bust” (not the HOF kind) Tony Mandarich appears below the story.

Actually, I was more entertained by the piece on Mandarich. With that physique, how did he not dominate? Surprised to see he is a pro photographer now.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 02:10:54 AM »
I really hope these kids have productive NBA careers.

I don’t.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 03:42:47 AM »
I don’t.

They submarined one of the best starts to a season in the last 40 years, kind  of hard to root for them.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 07:34:34 AM »
They submarined one of the best starts to a season in the last 40 years, kind  of hard to root for them.

I totally get where you and Fluff are coming from, but time is healing my wounds.

I’m not sure they didn’t give their all at the end of last year, but to me, the quitting while we are on the cusp of a monster ‘19-‘20 season is the tougher  pill to swallow.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Eye

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 07:38:59 AM »
Amazing what a journalist covering a legitimately national Big 10 basketball team can do.
GO WARRIORS!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 08:09:11 AM »
I totally get where you and Fluff are coming from, but time is healing my wounds.

I’m not sure they didn’t give their all at the end of last year, but to me, the quitting while we are on the cusp of a monster ‘19-‘20 season is the tougher  pill to swallow.

Agree. The team gave everything it had, but everything seemed off a beat and shots just weren't falling. Then Sam and Joey just walked away from a legit Final Four contender.

Both are hard to take, but the latter is a lot more difficult.

It will be interesting to see how Joey deals with Izzo's volatile demeanor. He didn't seem to take well to getting yelled at this past season...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 08:11:25 AM by GooooMarquette »

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 08:17:50 AM »

This narrative needs to die.

Nova:
  • Sam - 39 mins, 5-9, 7 rebs, 2 assists, 13 points
  • Joey 39 mins, 3-6, 6 rebs, 3 assists, 4 turnovers, 8 points
  • Markus 33 mins, 8-19, 2 rebs, 4 assists, 7 turnovers, 25 points

Creighton:
  • Sam 37 mimutes, 1-7, 10 rebs, 2 blocks, 5 fouls,
  • Joey 28 minutes 2-5, 4 rebs, 5 assists, 5 turnovers, 6 points
  • Markus 39 minutes, 11-21, 2 rebs, 3 assists, 2 steals, 6 turnovers, 33 points

Seton Hall
  • Sam 40 minutes, 9-19, 9 rebs, 3 assists, 5 turnovers, 25 points
  • Joey 23 minutes, 2-12, 5 rebs, 2 assists, 4 points
  • Markus 28 minutes, 2-11, 5 assists, 5 turnovers, 6 points

Georgetown
  • Sam 35 minutes, 2-11, 6 rebs, 5 assists, 4 steals, 7 points
  • Joey 31 minutes 3-6, 3 rebs, 3 assists, 2 turnovers, 16 points
  • Markus 31 minutes, 8-25, 2 rebs, 3 assists, 2 steals, 28 points

St johns:
  • Sam 32 minutes, 4-7, 7 rebs, 5 assists, 3 turnovers, 10 points
  • Joey 25 minutes, 2-5, 7 rebs, 3 assists, 0 turnovers, 5 points
  • Markus 30 minutes, 8-15, 7 rebs, 4 assists, 6 turnovers, 30 points

Seton Hall:
  • Sam 38 minutes, 7-15, 9 rebs, 3 assists, 22 points
  • Joey 25 minutes 5-9, 6 rebs, 2 assists, 4 turnovers, 12 points
  • Markus 33 minutes 1-15, 4 rebs, 4 assists, 3 turnovers, 21 points

Murray:
  • Sam 37 minutes, 6-17, 10 rebs, 1 assist, 16 points
  • Joey 29 minutes, 3-8, 4 rebs, 1 assist, 2 turnovers, 8 points, 1 "posterior" that wasn't his fault.
  • Markus 33 minutes, 9-27, 2 rebs, 1 assist, 3 turnovers, 26 points

So some conclusions from this:

• Neither Sam nor Joey tanked the season
  • Joey (a freshman) was not nearly as bad or turnover happy down the stretch as the circle jerk narrative currently going on via scoop
  • Sam was very much our best player and a damn stat stuffer
  • Markus never looked to stop shooting after the "letter"
  • Markus ragging on teammates for effort is pretty hypocritical at this point
  • The inside info from the "coach" is either complete smoke and mirrors, or some grad assistant/manager is just dead wrong.
[/list][/list][/list][/list]

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 08:23:37 AM »
Living in Spartan country, I find myself conflicted about what to say when they ask about Joey.   The good?  The bad?  The letter? 

My best guess is that he is a different player in 20-21, having taken the Izzo tough love to heart.  That will be a young team and he will have an opportunity to be featured.  He is stronger, more mature and a solid stretch 4.

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 10:11:41 AM »
My best guess is that he is a different player in 20-21, having taken the Izzo tough love to heart.

Wasn't tough love what made him leave?

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 10:12:43 AM »

Graham Couch is garbage.  He’s Potrykus in steroids
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2019, 10:13:27 AM »
sounds like he'll be out of east lansing after the first practice then

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2019, 10:18:17 AM »

Sure appeared that way. Whenever he messed up a play and Markus or Wojo got in his face about it, he went to the corner and pouted. If he acts like that with Izzo, he'll get very familiar with the bench.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2019, 10:26:41 AM »
That is the other alternative.   The Izzo tough love is too much.   Joey can grow and mature.... or not. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2019, 01:06:11 PM »

That's one of the narratives. If true he just went from the frying pan into the fire. He'll have zero chance under Izzo. I always thought that was a bogus narrative and expect Joey to thrive at MSU, We'll see.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2019, 01:08:38 PM »
That's one of the narratives. If true he just went from the frying pan into the fire. He'll have zero chance under Izzo. I always thought that was a bogus narrative and expect Joey to thrive at MSU, We'll see.
Both can be true.  He didn't want to accept it from Wojo or more specifically Markus, but he wants the style he will get from Izzo because he believes it to be consistent.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2019, 01:17:08 PM »
I really hope these kids have productive NBA careers. It’s not a good omen that a photo piece on former MSU o-lineman and Packers “bust” (not the HOF kind) Tony Mandarich appears below the story.

Actually, I was more entertained by the piece on Mandarich. With that physique, how did he not dominate? Surprised to see he is a pro photographer now.
Article below explains.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/21/tony-mandarich-cites-steroids-painkillers-for-his-draft-bust-status/

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2019, 01:23:11 PM »
Both can be true.  He didn't want to accept it from Wojo or more specifically Markus, but he wants the style he will get from Izzo because he believes it to be consistent.

Also, getting away from Sam might be for the best.  Joey won't be able to run to big brother for protection when a coach or teammate challenges him.  Figuring out how to handle that adversity could push Joey to fulfill his All-Conference potential.

On the other hand, continued attitude issues could make him an underachieving talent, similar to Sam Okey.  I think it's more likely that Joey becomes a very good player, but I wouldn't be completely surprised if things don't work out either.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2019, 01:49:12 PM »
Also, getting away from Sam might be for the best.  Joey won't be able to run to big brother for protection when a coach or teammate challenges him.  Figuring out how to handle that adversity could push Joey to fulfill his All-Conference potential.

On the other hand, continued attitude issues could make him an underachieving talent, similar to Sam Okey.  I think it's more likely that Joey becomes a very good player, but I wouldn't be completely surprised if things don't work out either.

It'll be interesting to see how Joey's playing time shakes out at MSU.  They have a number of four-star 6-6 to 6-11 forwards on the roster already, have another two coming in next season, and they're considered one of the front runners for 2020 five-star Isaiah Jackson.  Not saying Joey isn't potentially better than all of them, but his leash may end up being shorter than it was at MU.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2019, 03:48:22 PM »
Amazing what a journalist covering a legitimately national Big 10 basketball team can do.

Its hard for MU fans when the guy that runs the Marquette fan site has the personality of a frog, the writing skills of a 3rd grader, is more biased than MU82( a horrible trait for a journalist), and at his very best is only capable of providing analysis by placing two former player in a blender.  Its unfortunate.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2019, 04:18:37 PM »
Its hard for MU fans when the guy that runs the Marquette fan site has the personality of a frog, the writing skills of a 3rd grader, is more biased than MU82( a horrible trait for a journalist), and at his very best is only capable of providing analysis by placing two former player in a blender.  Its unfortunate.

Bias is a normal trait for a journalist, since they tend to be human beings. Pretending to be unbiased is a bad trait.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2019, 06:26:57 PM »
Team chemistry fell apart and that is what tanked the season. Blame who you want.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2019, 07:38:07 PM »
Bias is a normal trait for a journalist, since they tend to be human beings. Pretending to be unbiased is a bad trait.

If it is normal, why do so many deny at all costs that they have any bias?  Of course they are, but many won’t admit it.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2019, 10:07:00 PM »

Being biased and writing op/ed pieces whilst attempting to pawn it off as unbiased reporting is the worst of traits. See Cnn and msnbc

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2019, 10:15:05 PM »
Being biased and writing op/ed pieces whilst attempting to pawn it off as unbiased reporting is the worst of traits. See Cnn and msnbc

This from the douche with the signature that reads "Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind."
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.