[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Next step  (Read 12866 times)

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
Next step
« on: May 21, 2019, 09:11:39 AM »
Can MU basketball program take the next step without cheating?

goldeneagle91114

• All American
Re: Next step
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 09:14:14 AM »

The first step is retaining a core group of players, specifically starters.

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 09:22:38 AM »
Of course the first response is a snide remark and does not answer the question.Scoop never disappoints

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 09:42:12 AM »

It’s a tall task IMO.  I think they can be consistently good, occasionally great
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 09:43:01 AM »
More clearly define your terms.  Did Villanova cheat?  Virginia?  UNC?    Who is cheating and how much are they cheating?  Next level...blue blood level?  Nova?  MSU?

I think that if the powers had to choose between being good and clean or great and dirty, they would choose good and clean.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 09:44:40 AM »
TBD

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 09:48:49 AM »
Sorry for being snide.

I'll give you my opinion to your question - No, not with Wojo running the show. He's had 5 years. He has not cheated (that we know of to-date) which is a great thing. However, He also has not brought the program back to consistent top 25 status, which is what I believe you're referencing when you say "next step".

back in December, I thought he had finally put all the puzzle pieces together. However, The epic collapse down the stretch looked like a coach who struggled with X's and O's, losing to  teams that did even make the tournament, let alone weren't ranked in the top 25. He needed to find a way to stop the slide and couldn't.

Add insult to injury, He lost control of his locker room, and now we're replacing 2 starters on last years team.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 09:53:59 AM »
Lets try to get over the loss of Joey.  Kid will be an better than average college player, of which we have others of those on the roster.

Not sure how anyone could truly argue that a roster next year of mh, kobe, greg, bailey, sam, theo and possibly ed were not all better than joey.  So we lost arguably our 7-8th man, wgaf??
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 10:00:54 AM »

this sounds like an assumption has been made that MU has been "cheating".   i don't mean to assume that's what you meant, but if MU has been cheating to get to where we are now, they ain't very good at it
don't...don't don't don't don't

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 10:09:00 AM »
Lets try to get over the loss of Joey.  Kid will be an better than average college player, of which we have others of those on the roster.

Not sure how anyone could truly argue that a roster next year of mh, kobe, greg, bailey, sam, theo and possibly ed were not all better than joey.  So we lost arguably our 7-8th man, wgaf??

You're forgetting Sam

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2019, 10:32:57 AM »

Agree time to get over it. But, you underestimate they type of player he will develop into. He started as a Freshman for MU. That's awfully impressive for a better than average player. Joey will be a very good player.

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2019, 10:45:57 AM »
Wait joey and sam are transferring??? when did we hear about this???

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2019, 10:46:34 AM »
More clearly define your terms.  Did Villanova cheat?  Virginia?  UNC?    Who is cheating and how much are they cheating?  Next level...blue blood level?  Nova?  MSU?

I think that if the powers had to choose between being good and clean or great and dirty, they would choose good and clean.

VU-Don't know … UVA-Don't know....UNC-Absolutely YES
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2019, 11:05:02 AM »
VU-Don't know … UVA-Don't know....UNC-Absolutely YES

If Arizona pays their players and you steal a player originally committed to Arizona....does that mean anything.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2019, 11:08:27 AM »
Won feats in front of da udder feats, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2019, 11:09:50 AM »
If Arizona pays their players and you steal a player originally committed to Arizona....does that mean anything.

Is Arizona paying all their players? 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2019, 11:52:44 AM »
My realistic (albeit super lofty) goal is for Marquette to become the same type of program that Nova and Gonzaga are.

I don't know if Wright and Few cheat but given the little I know about them I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say they don't.

Not sure if Wojo can get us to that level; his inability to manage egos leads me to believe probably not. Maybe he'll prove me wrong, or maybe the next coach will be able to accomplish this. Or the coach after that.

One thing Wright and Few have in common: They stayed for years and years and years at programs that some might have considered "stepping stone" type situations despite receiving big-money offers from other schools. In Wright's case, he was allowed to stay even though he didn't have great success early on.

But to answer the OP question, yes, if Nova and Gonzaga can win big without cheating -- and again, for the sake of argument, I'll say they do -- so can Marquette.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2019, 01:35:12 PM »
Yes, and I think Wojo is the coach who can get us there. We have gotten better slowly but surely...and if you look at  a guy like Wright, that's exactly how he did it. He turned Drexel around in the course of a few seasons, and then he turned Nova from an NIT-level school to a National Champion.

Yes, he started winning at Nova in March sooner than Wojo has...but Jay started with seven years' HC experience at Drexel, so he was more seasoned when he hit the BE.

And 82 hit on a key for guys like Wright and Few - longevity at a single school. If we're patient with Wojo, we may get comparable results.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 01:36:47 PM by GooooMarquette »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2019, 01:39:00 PM »
Yes, and I think Wojo is the coach who can get us there. We have gotten better slowly but surely...and if you look at  a guy like Wright, that's exactly how he did it. He turned Drexel around in the course of a few seasons, and then he turned Nova from an NIT-level school to a National Champion.

Yes, he started winning at Nova in March sooner than Wojo has...but Jay started with seven years' HC experience at Drexel, so he was more seasoned when he hit the BE.

And 82 hit on a key for guys like Wright and Few - longevity at a single school. If we're patient with Wojo, we may get comparable results.

I like how you think, Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2019, 02:24:55 PM »

Hofstra not Drexel. Your point stands, though.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2019, 03:03:58 PM »
Is Arizona paying all their players?
Nah, probably just the real studs.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2019, 05:38:44 PM »

It's beyond sad that any program aspiring to rise to another level has to ask that question.

That is the brutal reality of college basketball right now.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2019, 05:43:52 PM »
It's beyond sad that any program aspiring to rise to another level has to ask that question.

That is the brutal reality of college basketball right now.

As long as college basketball is a big money operation and the players aren’t getting paid, it will continue being the reality. 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2019, 05:57:33 PM »
As long as college basketball is a big money operation and the players aren’t getting paid, it will continue being the reality.

But they are being paid.  At least at the big money schools.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2019, 06:00:53 PM »
But they are being paid.  At least at the big money schools.

Smart kids