'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Next step  (Read 12870 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Next step
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2019, 01:02:48 PM »
I loved the Crean years. They brought me to MU.

All I'm saying, is look at the entire resume. Buzz was significantly more impressive than Crean, as a whole.

If Wojo brings in an all time, HOF player and we have 1 deep run in the tourney, and wojo does little to nothing else, I won't think his coaching tenure overall is a great success.

Fair enough. But he hasn't done that and therefore is nowhere near Crean's level of success. Not yet, anyway.

I don't need the HoFer. I'll just take the success!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2019, 07:08:12 PM »
Agree time to get over it. But, you underestimate they type of player he will develop into. He started as a Freshman for MU. That's awfully impressive for a better than average player. Joey will be a very good player.
Wojo has a history of starting freshmen who disappear from MU.
Maybe he is playing players too early. They get upset when their playing time decreases. I really did not think Joey was going to start next year.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2019, 07:16:16 PM »
I loved the Crean years. They brought me to MU.

All I'm saying, is look at the entire resume. Buzz was significantly more impressive than Crean, as a whole.

If Wojo brings in an all time, HOF player and we have 1 deep run in the tourney, and wojo does little to nothing else, I won't think his coaching tenure overall is a great success.

Fair. And true.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2019, 07:18:49 PM »
Of course, you can go back and read the posts from 2006.

C'mon, man ... that sounds like too much work.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2019, 07:04:35 AM »
C'mon, man ... that sounds like too much work.

I'm sure no one will, but reading those posts are actually very easy. At the top of the screen, there is a list of page numbers. Currently, I see the last one as 837. Just click on that 837 and it will bring you to the oldest posts on the site.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2019, 08:13:57 AM »
I wasn't around Scoop in the years after the FF run. Was Crean being sniped at to the degree that Wojo is getting sniped at?

Asking seriously, as I have no idea.

There was the outrage of getting to the Final Four and being blown out.....forget beating #1 Kentucky, or top 5 Pitt, or Missou and Holy Cross......the fact we lost to #2 Kansas and shot 29% or whatever it was....that’s all that mattered to some.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

connie

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2019, 09:14:01 AM »
There were a few who hated Crean at the time.  There was some restlessness because the classes were not balanced and the inability to recruit and develop bigs.  There is more open hostility to Wojo than there was to Crean when he was the coach.  The hostility really took off after he left.
My recall is some sniping about game coaching and the inability to adjust, but this was more of a frustration than hostility.  Maybe Crean's improvement and embracing of the program history provided a cushion of satisfaction that kept things with him from reaching the current Wojo level.  Also probably why the way he left created such vitriol.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2019, 09:25:30 AM »
I’d say his recruiting and transfers were a big topic as well. The thought was he could only recruit anchor classes and not get guys around the top players when he couldn’t sell a ton of playing time.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2019, 09:37:57 AM »
I remember us complaining that he could not recruit bigmen.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2019, 09:47:49 AM »
There was the outrage of getting to the Final Four and being blown out.....forget beating #1 Kentucky, or top 5 Pitt, or Missou and Holy Cross......the fact we lost to #2 Kansas and shot 29% or whatever it was....that’s all that mattered to some.

I’m imagining willie on scoop had it existed after that game...

“all you tan cream slurpers living in a fantasy world, he should be left in New Orleans to fish shrimp with Bubba”
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2019, 09:50:24 AM »
Sounds like there were plenty of complaints against Crean even after he took us to the FF.

Fans ... can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em!

As to my point that Crean accomplished much more than Wojo at the same stage of their careers ... that qualifies me for Capt. Obvious status. And I still say it's not fair to say, "But if Crean didn't recruit Wade and didn't make it to the FF," because he did and he did.

Finally, as for the "next step" ...

The best coach in MU history was a guy whose only college coaching experience was at a tiny Catholic school, where he went 13-39 his last two years.

The second-best coach in MU history had one head coaching job, going 14-17 for a Sun Belt school, before we hired him.

The third-best coach in MU history had never coached a game at any level when Marquette hired him.

If and when Wojo leaves, how good will folks feel if we hire a replacement with any of the above resumes?

And why do some Scoopers feel we will have our pick of established, high-major coaches?

feedback