[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Where does Jayce Johnson fit?  (Read 9562 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Where does Jayce Johnson fit?
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2019, 11:47:30 AM »
Then he should be on the floor at least 30 minutes per game with that reasoning. Not playing an "elite rebounder" of that ilk would be trgic, don't you agree?

Is rebounding the only part of the game that matters?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2019, 12:33:16 PM »

It is when your team can't do it.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2019, 07:40:15 PM »
Depending on how quickly Jayce gets up to speed and meshes with the team, he should be a significant contributor down low. 30+ minutes? Doubtful. Last season he averaged 21.9 mpg, topping 30 minutes just 3 times. Plus, MU only had 3 players average 30+ minutes (Markus, Sam and Sacar).
But after all...he is an elite level rebounder. Sort of reminds one of the predictions about the awesome Aussie who was going to be a huge difference maker.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2019, 08:08:01 PM »
But after all...he is an elite level rebounder. Sort of reminds one of the predictions about the awesome Aussie who was going to be a huge difference maker.

Okay. Jayce is going to suck.

Feel better now?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2019, 08:09:06 PM »

Or when the mods told us how good this “willie warrior” cat was going to be when he registered.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2019, 08:47:37 PM »

Has any person here said that about Jayce?
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2019, 09:00:22 PM »
Or when the mods told us how good this “willie warrior” cat was going to be when he registered.

Let's be honest...no one ever told us that.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2019, 11:48:42 AM »
You know the answer to that. If the guy is an elite rebounder, he should be on the floor rebounding. After all, we have scorers and ball handlers
 My point is that the proof will be in how much he helps
 It looks right now that he will add 5 more fouls to the center and a poor Ft shooter. I do not believe he is an elite rebounder
 More Wojo spin. We need a lot more to replace loss of Hausers
What is your point?

What is your point?

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2019, 11:54:59 AM »

TAMU's post about Jayce wasn't a prediction. It was a statement of fact (although you could say defining anything performance-related as "elite" is open to interpretation).

Last season, Jayce Johnson posted a DR% of 27.5% per KenPom, the 23rd highest percentage in the country. That's in the 99th percentile of the approximately 4,500 players who compete in Division I college basketball. His OR% was 14.1% (27th), also in the 99th percentile.

I'd certainly call that elite. If you want to argue semantics, go ahead.

There are, of course, qualifiers. While Jayce started 25 games, he averaged only 21.9 mpg. Also, he played for Utah -- which ranked just ahead of DePaul in KenPom's team rankings. Also, Utah played in the Pac-12, which ranked behind the AAC in terms of conference strength. So I wouldn't necessarily compare him to Jordan Murphy, for instance, or Tyler Bey (who led the Pac-12 in DR%).

Nobody knows for sure how Jayce will work out at MU. But he's easily more of a known quantity than either Harry Froling (who saw little high-level competition before coming to the U.S. and barely played at SMU) or Joseph Chartouny (who played for a much worse team in 292nd ranked Fordham in a much worse conference).

From everything I've seen about Jayce, I think we're getting a good player. Possibly a really good one, at least when it comes to rebounding and defense. You don't have to be excited about that. But I can't think of any circumstances where you would be, anyway.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2019, 12:02:38 PM »
You know the answer to that. If the guy is an elite rebounder, he should be on the floor rebounding. After all, we have scorers and ball handlers
 My point is that the proof will be in how much he helps
 It looks right now that he will add 5 more fouls to the center and a poor Ft shooter. I do not believe he is an elite rebounder
 More Wojo spin. We need a lot more to replace loss of Hausers
What is your point?

What is your point?

My point is that Jayce Johnson is an elite rebounder. Unless you want to say that top 1% isn't elite, that is an indisputable fact. Will he continue to be an elite rebounder at MU? I don't know. I don't think anyone here has suggested that Jayce makes up for the loss of the Hausers.
TAMU

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2019, 01:07:50 PM »
Another interesting comp to consider:

The player KenPom considers the most similar to Jayce Johnson is 7-0 center Trevor Thompson (must be something about alliterative names).

During his junior year in 2016-17, Thompson started 20 games for Ohio State -- averaging 23.0 mpg, 10.6 ppg, 9.2 rpg (with a 9th ranked 29.6 DR% and 34th ranked 13.7 OR%) and 1.5 bpg (7.5 Blk%).

Thompson declared for the NBA draft and went undrafted. He played with the Celtics in the summer league, then spent the season in the G League. He moved on the French Pro A league in 2018-19 and is now playing in Belgium.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2019, 02:11:40 PM »
Not yet, just that he is an elite rebounder. Hopefully he will turn out to be that, but we need much more to make up for Hausergate.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2019, 02:14:26 PM »
BTW, the words "sort of reminds one" should have put that in proper context for you, but you must have missed that in trying to make whatever point you were attempting.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2019, 02:37:18 PM »
Not yet, just that he is an elite rebounder. Hopefully he will turn out to be that, but we need much more to make up for Hausergate.
Jayce is a straight up replacement for Matt Heldt .We need that 3rd Big man role filled as Theo has foul trouble, Ed is injury prone and Ike is a complete unknown. My guess is Jayce will probably play minutes equal to what Matt did his junior year (21.9) which is exactly the minutes  Jayce played last year at Utah.

Wojo said in the press conference that they will be throwing out a two big look from time to time.   

Replacement for Hausergate still needs to  be addressed . If no grad transfers happen ,then it will be a bigger 2020 class.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2019, 12:13:08 AM »
Brendan certainly didn't earn 14+ minutes a game as a freshman for his offense.

He was a very good defender off the bench last season. With his combination of length and quickness, he can guard at least 3 positions (possibly 4 this season if he puts on some muscle). That versatility makes him a highly valuable player on the court, allowing Wojo the flexibility of switching when needed.

Brendan was 3rd on the team in block percentage (after Theo and Ed) and 5th in steal percentage. His biggest weakness right now is defensive rebounding, which ranked last on the team. That should improve with greater strength and experience.

I’ve seen this narrative a lot and I just want to pump the brakes a bit. I didn’t really see very good defense from bailey- I saw some flashes of serviceable defense at best. Wojo went to him at times to guard shorter scorers and he did very well. However, I saw him get lost a lot early, not so much later in the year. I saw him get blown by with speed a heck of a lot even late in the year. I’d call him an average defender at best last season, underperformed offensively.

It’s easy to get lost in the shuffle, and I’m the last Joey Hauser apologist you’ll find, but Joey was strong on the defensive end for a major portion of the yr. I honestly thing he threw in the towel late, but there were many games during the golden times when Marquette was looking great where Joey played good strong interior defense and rebounded exceptionally well, even leading the team.

That was the Joey we needed at MU, but alas. Brendan isn’t that, he’s much skinnier and won’t defense in the post or rebound like Joey. I know joeys “poor defense” was a big punching bag narrative here recently, but earlier in the year that just wasn’t the case. That kid helped a ton defensively and now MU has to fill that.

Jayce will help much more there than Brendan. Bailey is the stretch four everyone here is looking for. He has a pure stroke despite struggling mightily last yr from three. He can shoot and the staff knows it. He can defense some but he isn’t an interior bruiser and won’t rebound very well. Johnson will handle the boards (hopefully) and the blocks and ideally hold his own v heavier bigs, and Brendan will play the stretch 3/4 that steps out and shoots/makes threes that everyone is wanting to replace sam/joe.

At the end of the day my guess is that Marquette becomes a three guard team next yr, and that wins in ncaab. Markus, Koby, Sacar/Greg should get a lot of minutes at the 1-3. Any way you slice it that’s a three guard team. Theo will get solid minutes and so should Ed/Jayce at either the 4/5- because of both experience and need for size with the three guards.

That leaves all the wings in a fight for minutes and fighting to establish their role. This includes “stretch 4.” You’ve got Cain, Bailey then trying to make a difference and I think both will at times depending on matchups. I view Akanno as a sacar projectory and Eke as a wildcard.

I feel like I’m either missing people or MU is thin in bodies next season

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2019, 07:37:30 AM »
While I agree Brendan's defense has been overrated by many....there was no point in the season where Joey was a good defender. He didn't throw in the towel on defense, he was just bad on defense. Which is fine, a lot of freshmen are bad at defense. He more than made up for it with his offense and rebounding.
TAMU

tower912

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2019, 08:25:40 AM »
In one of Brendan's first games, he picked the pocket in the middle of the floor of a cupcake PG.  The last forward at MU to do that was............?   He blocked shots.    At Georgetown, his defense on Akinjo and McClung was every bit as instrumental as Sam running the point.    No, he was not a lock down defender every time.    But he was better than Joey. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2019, 08:30:04 AM »
In one of Brendan's first games, he picked the pocket in the middle of the floor of a cupcake PG.  The last forward at MU to do that was............?   He blocked shots.    At Georgetown, his defense on Akinjo and McClung was every bit as instrumental as Sam running the point.    No, he was not a lock down defender every time.    But he was better than Joey.

Jae and Jimmy.  Was Lockett a forward?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2019, 08:43:37 AM »
You don't have to be excited about that. But I can't think of any circumstances where you would be, anyway.

There are those tantalizing last few seconds as he is grilling up his Mazos burger and the scent of a hamburger seared to perfection is wafting deliciously into his flaring nostrils, just before he loads it into his bun.

But other than that, no.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2019, 08:47:01 AM »
Brendan was good on the defensive side of the floor because he has the quickness to stay with his guy and the length to bother them.  Like many freshmen, he would struggle with the defensive rotations, which will come with time.  He was a much better defender than Joey.

But Joey was miles ahead of him on offense.  The Joey sucks narrative is laughable.  He hit the wall undoubtedly, and may never quite live up to his lofty expectations, but he was a solid freshman player who will grow into a very nice college basketball player.  I hope Brendan can do the same.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2019, 08:51:41 AM »
Brendan was good on the defensive side of the floor because he has the quickness to stay with his guy and the length to bother them.  Like many freshmen, he would struggle with the defensive rotations, which will come with time.  He was a much better defender than Joey.

But Joey was miles ahead of him on offense.  The Joey sucks narrative is laughable.  He hit the wall undoubtedly, and may never quite live up to his lofty expectations, but he was a solid freshman player who will grow into a very nice college basketball player.  I hope Brendan can do the same.
Joey didn't suck, but his lack of athleticism was shocking.  I don't know how many times he made a good move to the basket but got his shot blocked or missed badly because he was either completely off balance or couldn't get off the floor. 

Maybe lingering effects of his injury or maybe due to lack of strength which is common for freshman.  Either way, Brendan is a far more athletic player...hopefully that translates into him being a better player.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2019, 09:17:54 AM »
Jayce is a replacement for Matt Heldt.

He may get some extended minutes in certain games where the other team has some non athletic large stiff centers or when Theo /Ed start to get heavy fouls.

If Jayce can prove himself Heldt-worthy than it gives the team some flexibility .

The European Tour is coming along at a good time for the team .

Jayce will get roughly double the minutes Matt got last season. With all do respect to Matt, who seems like an awesome person and teammate, Jayce will be much more.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2019, 11:20:59 AM »
Jayce will get roughly double the minutes Matt got last season. With all do respect to Matt, who seems like an awesome person and teammate, Jayce will be much more.
Wojo says we are going to be running two bigs at time. So likely Jayce will get a decent amount of playing time .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2019, 11:26:38 AM »
Wojo says we are going to be running two bigs at time. So likely Jayce will get a decent amount of playing time .

Wojo will play match-ups -- when opponents play 2 bigs, he now has options to do so, or maybe he'll want to force the opposing coach's hand.

He also will go with whichever player is doing the job better in a particular game or stretch of a game -- something that he has regularly done and that most coaches do.

One of Wojo's strengths during his time at Marquette has been his sense for the 5 position, IMHO, as he almost always has played the right guy at the right time for the right reasons. I have confidence he will continue to do a good job allocating minutes to our bigs.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

monkeyman34

• Starter
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2019, 02:33:02 PM »
From a defensive perspective, last year when Theo and Joey were on the floor at the same time, Joey never seemed quick enough to guard some of the "smaller" 4s we faced.  I would think we will be better defensively this year at the 4, whether it be Ed, BB, Anim, Cain, or whoever else is getting minutes at the position. I would also think our D at the 5 spot will be better with Jayce basically taking away Ed's "5" minutes this year.