[Today at 03:40:45 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Where does Jayce Johnson fit?  (Read 9563 times)

PaintTouches

• All American
Where does Jayce Johnson fit?
« on: May 09, 2019, 12:27:48 PM »
I went deep (deeeeeeeeeeep) on Jayce's addition and what it might mean for the team in terms of offensive style and minute load. As long as Theo remains the priority, I actually like it much more than I did the first 2 weeks. 

https://painttouches.com/2019/05/09/where-does-jayce-johnson-fit-for-marquette/

DoctorV

• All American
Re: Where does Jayce Johnson fit?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 03:08:41 PM »
I’ll beat someone to the punch

On the bench aina?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 03:21:17 PM »
All of the bigs may have more opportunities this year off  from dump offs off of penetration.     They better all learn how to get to an open spot and get their hands up.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 03:21:36 PM »
Good stuff, Andrei.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 03:32:15 PM »
I think this is means Ed is going to be given the chance at the 4 and the offense will adapt accordingly.  Mostly because the other alternatives don't give me a lot of confidence either.

My assumptions are that Markus, Koby, Sacar and Theo are four of the starters.

Do you start Bailey?  I mean Bailey showed flashes but is that who should be out there primarily?  I mean, you *could* start him I guess but I'm not sure he should get more than 15 or so minutes.

Cain?  Eehhhh...probably not

Elliott with Sacar moving to the 4?  Undersized, and that may end up working, but I think Elliott is a bit of a wildcard at this point.

So look, it's better to be safe and add depth to the roster.  Injuries are a thing.  If it doesn't work and Ed gets his minutes cut, what's he going to do?  He leaves at the end of the year anyway.  Really the only downside risk is team chemistry OR if Theo gets his minutes cut and wants to go.  (Which doesn't make a lot of sense since he seems to be the only post player for 2020-21 with any experience.)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 03:47:21 PM »
Bailey is an outstanding defender
Can guard the 4
Can play the 4
6’10”
Needs 20 lbs n he can be a really good 4
Sacar n greag can also be small mtchup problem 4s
Mu gonna be good
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 03:52:02 PM »
Can guard the 4
Can play the 4
6’10”
Mu gonna be good

Bailey most definitely could play the 4.  But I'm not sure I want to rely on that happening at this point.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 04:34:34 PM »
Can guard the 4
Can play the 4
6’10”
Mu gonna be good

Yeah, I'm 6'10" as well ::)

muguru

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 04:45:01 PM »
Can guard the 4
Can play the 4
6’10”
Mu gonna be good

So...define...good Sand Knit...you keep saying that no way MU was going to live up to their preseason top 10 ranking...which means you think they were going to be overrated. But then you have also said they are going to be better without the Hauser's..So...if they weren't going to live up to the top 10 ranking WITH the Hauser's, but now will be better without the Hauser's. So no way in your opinion they would be top 10 with them...but you state they will be better WITHOUT them, those statements conflict.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 04:56:27 PM »
Jayce is a replacement for Matt Heldt.

He may get some extended minutes in certain games where the other team has some non athletic large stiff centers or when Theo /Ed start to get heavy fouls.

If Jayce can prove himself Heldt-worthy than it gives the team some flexibility .

The European Tour is coming along at a good time for the team .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 04:58:36 PM »

He may get some extended minutes in certain games where the other team has some non athletic large stiff centers or when Theo /Ed start to get heavy fouls.

If Jayce can prove himself Heldt-worthy than it gives the team some flexibility .

Undoubtedly, that's the argument the coaching staff used to get him to pass on starting at Nebraska.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 05:12:52 PM »

I really doubt he is just a replacement for Matt.

In his best season (‘17-‘18), Matt averaged 3.9 ppg and 2.9 rpg. Last season, Jayce averaged 7.0 and 7.7.  In fact, Jayce had better stats as a frosh (his worst season statistically) then Matt ever had at his peak.

I loved Matt for his attitude and energy, but I don’t think Jayce came here to be a high-energy practice guy.

My humble opinion is that Jayce plays considerable minutes at the five (backing up Theo), while Ed moves over to the four and shares minutes with Brendan.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 05:26:02 PM »

In his best season (‘17-‘18), Matt averaged 3.9 ppg and 2.9 rpg. Last season, Jayce averaged 7.0 and 7.7.  In fact, Jayce had better stats as a frosh (his worst season statistically) then Matt ever had at his peak.

I loved Matt for his attitude and energy, but I don’t think Jayce came here to be a high-energy practice guy.

My humble opinion is that Jayce plays considerable minutes at the five (backing up Theo), while Ed moves over to the four and shares minutes with Brendan.

Agreed but I would add Cain in the mix at the 4.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2019, 05:41:58 PM »
Undoubtedly, that's the argument the coaching staff used to get him to pass on starting at Nebraska.
;D
No Finish Line

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2019, 05:44:09 PM »
Agreed but I would add Cain in the mix at the 4.

True. Jamal will probably see time at both 3 and 4, depending on matchups and such.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2019, 06:47:25 PM »
Can guard the 4
Can play the 4
6’10”
Mu gonna be good
Uhhh....Sorry, stating Bailey is an outstanding defender does not make it so.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2019, 06:49:01 PM »

But wait....Wojo just said Johnson is "an elite level rebounder"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2019, 06:57:18 PM »
Yeah, I'm 6'10" as well ::)

But you set a mean moving pick.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2019, 07:49:45 PM »
But wait....Wojo just said Johnson is "an elite level rebounder"

He is. 27.5% defensive rebounding percentage (top 25 in the country) and 14% offensive rebounding percentage (top 30 in the country). Given that there are thousands of basketball players in D1, I'd say finishing top 30 on both ends is pretty elite.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2019, 08:37:23 PM »

Matt was a serviceable Big East Center. In fact in 17-18 he gave us 22 minutes a game.  He did a lot of little things to help the team win over the years. So I should have clarified what I meant as Jayce as a replacement for Matt.

Theo and Ed were both considerably more impactful  this past year and thus Matt's role changed. We won more as a result. That doesn't imply that  Matt wouldn't have progressed from the prior year if he had the minutes, as Matt progressed every year.

I see Jayce as being used in  something closer to Matt's 2017-18 role as a serviceable Big East Big . That said, my guess is that we will see frequent configurations with two of the 5s playing at the same time.  Last year we had the luxury of the Brothers Hauser at 6-8 and 6-9 playing Major minutes, so we could rotate our Big Men in . Maybe this year we see some lineups with 3 guards and two of the Big guys.

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

burger

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2019, 09:25:41 AM »
Johnson is going to play a "non- stretch" 4 with either Theo or Ed......

Classic wings with Sacar.....Bailey....Cain.....

Any combo of the guards at the other 2 spot.....

That is why we could use a Grad transfer 4.......still.......

Go small and either play 3 guards.......or 2 wings.......

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2019, 10:18:07 AM »
He is. 27.5% defensive rebounding percentage (top 25 in the country) and 14% offensive rebounding percentage (top 30 in the country). Given that there are thousands of basketball players in D1, I'd say finishing top 30 on both ends is pretty elite.
Then he should be on the floor at least 30 minutes per game with that reasoning. Not playing an "elite rebounder" of that ilk would be trgic, don't you agree?

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2019, 10:43:21 AM »
Uhhh....Sorry, stating Bailey is an outstanding defender does not make it so.

Brendan certainly didn't earn 14+ minutes a game as a freshman for his offense.

He was a very good defender off the bench last season. With his combination of length and quickness, he can guard at least 3 positions (possibly 4 this season if he puts on some muscle). That versatility makes him a highly valuable player on the court, allowing Wojo the flexibility of switching when needed.

Brendan was 3rd on the team in block percentage (after Theo and Ed) and 5th in steal percentage. His biggest weakness right now is defensive rebounding, which ranked last on the team. That should improve with greater strength and experience.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2019, 10:54:00 AM »
Then he should be on the floor at least 30 minutes per game with that reasoning. Not playing an "elite rebounder" of that ilk would be trgic, don't you agree?

Depending on how quickly Jayce gets up to speed and meshes with the team, he should be a significant contributor down low. 30+ minutes? Doubtful. Last season he averaged 21.9 mpg, topping 30 minutes just 3 times. Plus, MU only had 3 players average 30+ minutes (Markus, Sam and Sacar).
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2019, 11:24:59 AM »
Johnson is going to play a "non- stretch" 4 with either Theo or Ed......

Classic wings with Sacar.....Bailey....Cain.....

Any combo of the guards at the other 2 spot.....

I wonder if that lineup will be able to get back on defense fast enough. I guess if we make our shots and dominate the offensive glass it won't matter.

It was rough watching the Hausers try to play transition defense last year, so I guess it won't be anything new.