[Today at 09:45:23 PM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[Today at 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[Today at 08:47:22 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by Goose
[Today at 07:54:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: What Are Your Expectations For Marquette As A Program?  (Read 12118 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: What Are Your Expectations For Marquette As A Program?
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2019, 09:03:42 PM »
It's like clockwork...as I said before...or are you going to claim this isn't about Buzz either?? Will you EVER talk about how successful he was ON the court?? No, you won't...the ONLY on the court stuff I ever see you mention with him is his last year..just because you hated the guy(and don't say you didn't, you lying POS), doesn't mean the BE championship, the two sweet 16's and the Elite 8 after 5 years didn't happen. Sorry, you hated that he was successful on the court Chicos...but you can't take it away, as much as you try.

Lol.  You do realize I have four coaches in there....right?  Buzz should have won coach of the year in my opinion.  His stewardship also led to the university’s decisions currently....funny how you never acknowledge his own actions, that of his staff, players, that led to what you deem is non commitment.  Your hero made that bed.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

muguru

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2019, 09:06:30 PM »
How many.  Let’s see, two of the incoming recruits, including one that played at Kansas.  Then there was Scott Christopherson who left days after Buzz was hired, he ended up all Big 12.  That’s three by my count.

Three players that were essentially meaningless...what about the main guys...the amigos?? They all stayed, didn't they?? That's what mattered.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2019, 09:21:27 PM »
Three players that were essentially meaningless...what about the main guys...the amigos?? They all stayed, didn't they?? That's what mattered.

Lol.  Here are the three that left in those opening days.....meaningless?  Oh boy.  I wonder how that team the first year of Buzz would have done when DJ got hurt knowing a backup that would play in the NBA was there to take over.....but he wasn’t there because he left when Buzz was hired and we were crippled as a team as a result when DJ was hurt.  Yup, meaningless....you sure got that one right.

Here’s for meaningless

Taylor was drafted 41st in the NBA draft in 2012....a third team All American and first team All Big 12.

Christopherson was an excellent shooter, something Buzz’s teams often lacked, and became all BiG 12.  A career 44% shooter from 3 point land....shot 46% his senior year.

Williams went to Indiana for a year and finished his last three years at Ole Miss of the SEC, starting the majority of his college career.  Not a great player by any stretch.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2019, 09:22:20 PM »
For those who have high expectations, GOOD. You should have high expectations. As fans, we should never be content with where the program is and always be pushing for more. If we get back to Buzz level success? Great but we should want more. Get to Villanova level success? Great but we should want more. Get to Al level success? Great but we should want more. The goal of the basketball program should be to always be building the program. Fortunately, we have an administration that believes that and recognizes the importance of basketball to the university.

I liked what Brother Dgies said, there is no reason we can't build a Duke level program here. What do they have that we don't? There is something.....multiple decades of success. Duke wasn't born with blue blood or a silver spoon in their mouths. It had to be built over decades to get to the level it is at now. That is the level of success we should be striving for but also need to recognize the steps required to get there. It won't be done in a few years. It will take decades to build. But just because we aren't content doesn't mean we can't enjoy the ride.

Honestly, I don't think anyone here has different expectations. We all want Marquette to be the best damn program in the country and challenging for national titles every season....and winning them! We just disagree on how to get there.
Before Coach K came to Duke. MU and Duke were at relative parity program wise. In fact they went through a long walk in the wilderness  prior to Bill Foster reviving the program. Coach K came and has stayed for 40 years. That makes a huge difference.

Al retired unnaturally young for a coach . One of the three biggest mistakes in MU history was the failure to replace Al with a guy like Denny Crum who was available and interested in the job. MU hires  Denny and the golden years would have kept on going. The McCrays and All the great 80s Chicago players are coming our way etc. 

Ok so what is done is done. The question is what is reasonable to expect now. I agree with TAMU the goal is to be a blue blood again.

Given that goal, in my view, The Crean/Buzz era taken as a whole needs to be the standard. If we get there we are in the mix of teams that are in that attractive third rung right below the Blue Bloods and Near Blue Bloods/Fallen Blue Bloods. If we stay in that third rung long enough we can make a move to the second tier.

I know there are those that dislike Crean and or Buzz , but their results showed where our program could be. In particular our years in the old Big East really showed what our team could be , those years  we were always in the  NCAA tournament. MU  should be doing well in our league , which in the new configuration should be top 3 at worst 4th. We should have a realistic goal every year of making to the second week of the tournament with an occasional deeper run. We should be developing players who are multi year NBA players who can be All Stars or long term successful players with an occasional all time NBA great .  All of this was achieved in the Crean /Buzz era.

I reject the notion we had to rebuild under Wojo. Wojo caused the rebuild . A better more experienced coach could and would have reloaded.

Our resources are superb. Starting out we have a contemporary urban school that is attractive to four year players. We play in  a NBA arena that due to its proximity to campus is virtually an on campus arena for the purposes of rallying support from students. We have all the best training facilities and a willingness to spend on the program.  The alumni group is loyal , dedicated and actually buys season tickets and Milwaukee is enough of a sports town so that when we have an outstanding team, local non alums will show interest.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

muguru

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2019, 09:24:17 PM »
Lol.  Here are the three that left in those opening days.....meaningless?  Oh boy.  I wonder how that team the first year of Buzz would have done when DJ got hurt knowing a backup that would play in the NBA was there to take over.....but he wasn’t there because he left when Buzz was hired and we were crippled as a team as a result when DJ was hurt.  Yup, meaningless....you sure got that one right.

Here’s for meaningless

Taylor was drafted 41st in the NBA draft in 2012....a third team All American and first team All Big 12.

Christopherson was an excellent shooter, something Buzz’s teams often lacked, and became all BiG 12.  A career 44% shooter from 3 point land....shot 46% his senior year.

Williams went to Indiana for a year and finished his last three years at Ole Miss of the SEC, starting the majority of his college career.  Not a great player by any stretch.

Did, Wesley, Jerel and DJ stay...or did they transfer?? It's simple question...obviously you aren't capable of answering it.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2019, 09:28:22 PM »
Did, Wesley, Jerel and DJ stay...or did they transfer?? It's simple question...obviously you aren't capable of answering it.

Yes, glad the seniors stayed.  Glad they didn’t have a sibling that complicated things.  Now, your incorr ct statement about meaningless....it’s a simple question...obviously you aren’t capable of making a rational statement which is why people keep calling you out.  You are a great fan Guru, but you do need a snickers because the facts and you don’t pair well.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2019, 09:35:13 PM »
Yes, glad the seniors stayed.  Glad they didn’t have a sibling that complicated things.  Now, your incorr ct statement about meaningless....it’s a simple question...obviously you aren’t capable of making a rational statement which is why people keep calling you out.  You are a great fan Guru, but you do need a snickers because the facts and you don’t pair well.

Facts and me don't pare well?? Did Buzz or did he not, take MU to two Sweet 16's and an Elite 8, and win a conference championship while he was at MU?? C'mon, you can admit it, can't you?? I want to see you answer it without constantly adding in all the bad stuff you didn't like about him. Forget about that just for ONE post, and answer...did Buzz have MAJOR success on the court during his time at MU or not??

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2019, 09:38:43 PM »
I expect in Wojo year 6 we still have zero tourney wins after all is said and done. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2019, 09:44:56 PM »
Facts and me don't pare well?? Did Buzz or did he not, take MU to two Sweet 16's and an Elite 8, and win a conference championship while he was at MU?? C'mon, you can admit it, can't you?? I want to see you answer it without constantly adding in all the bad stuff you didn't like about him. Forget about that just for ONE post, and answer...did Buzz have MAJOR success on the court during his time at MU or not??

I have admitted Ed it...good basketball coach.  Just admitted it again.

Now, do you think that meaningless loss of those players, including two guards would have helped MU that year, especially considering the injury that happened.....I mean being that they were meaningless and all, I suppose not...but humor me.

Buzz had some major success.  He had one NCAA run after a not very good season.  When he lost in the tournament we usually got blown out... it that only counts when Wojo or Crean lose.  His team blew the game against Washington, but won some great ones in Miami and Syracuse.  He was also the same coach that was licked first in the new Big East and got 6th, left us with a less than stellar roster.  So, like many coaches...good and bad.  Unfortunately a lot of off the court stuff that did damage to the university, but non alums and those that have a 100% just win baby approach don’t care about that part.  Just win baby...who cares if we are an academic institution or crimes involved....just win!!!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2019, 09:47:29 PM »
I expect in Wojo year 6 we still have zero tourney wins after all is said and done.

But at least you can still watch dozens of Utah games on tv...that’s the important part.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2019, 04:06:25 AM »
This false narrative that people are spewing that because a new Coach comes in it AUTOMATICALLY means a rebuild has got to stop. It really pisses me off to be honest..it depends on who the Coach is that is brought in. Why don't people understand that? Just because a school hires a new Coach does NOT automatically mean every recruit will ask out of his LOI, and every player will transfer. That's absurd, and not reality. I'm tired of seeing people say that. How many left when Buzz took over?? Exactly! It all depends on the Coach that is brought in, it's really that simple.

Also depends on the buy in from players and the system. More often than not it stops or at least takes a step back. Let's pretend that hill, pierce, noskowiak, shayock and obviously sandy all stayed at MU, burton didn't transfer. If they were not going to fit in a Wojo a system it wouldn't matter how good they were. We saw that with Duane at TAMU vs MU for example.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2019, 10:43:09 AM »
I reject the notion we had to rebuild under Wojo. Wojo caused the rebuild . A better more experienced coach could and would have reloaded.

You can reject it all you want, but it doesn't make it true.

Name me a team that failed to make the NIT, then lost it's coach, 5/6 of it's top players in terms of minutes played, and all but one member of it's recruiting class and then made the NCAA the next season. Bonus points if you can find a team that matches all that AND the top returning player in terms of minutes is the same level of player as Derrick Wilson.

90.9 mpg, 23.9 ppg, 14.2 rpg, 8.1 apg, 4.2 spg, 0.8 bpg, 8.1 FGpg, 0.9 3Ppg

The stat line above? That's the combined 13-14 season averages of every player Wojo inherited. Keep in mind those averages were put together on a roster that couldn't even make the NIT....with a better coach coaching them! Wojo has more points returning from Markus Howard this year then he did from his entire first roster combined.

Expecting Wojo to reload that first season was not reasonable. Not close to reasonable. I could hear an argument that he should have been there by year 2 but I don't think that's realistic either. Wojo took two years to rebuild and since then has gone NCAA bubble team, NIT, NCAA high seed. We're projected to make the NCAAs again next season. If we do, I think two years of rebuild, one year of NIT, and three years of NCAA should reasonably meet expectations for a coach's first six years. Could others have done better? Probably. But would it be results worth firing a coach for? I don't think so, unless recruiting falls off and trajectory is trending down.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2019, 11:30:46 AM »
Before Coach K came to Duke. MU and Duke were at relative parity program wise. In fact they went through a long walk in the wilderness  prior to Bill Foster reviving the program. Coach K came and has stayed for 40 years. That makes a huge difference.

Al retired unnaturally young for a coach . One of the three biggest mistakes in MU history was the failure to replace Al with a guy like Denny Crum who was available and interested in the job. MU hires  Denny and the golden years would have kept on going. The McCrays and All the great 80s Chicago players are coming our way etc. 

Ok so what is done is done. The question is what is reasonable to expect now. I agree with TAMU the goal is to be a blue blood again.

Given that goal, in my view, The Crean/Buzz era taken as a whole needs to be the standard. If we get there we are in the mix of teams that are in that attractive third rung right below the Blue Bloods and Near Blue Bloods/Fallen Blue Bloods. If we stay in that third rung long enough we can make a move to the second tier.

I know there are those that dislike Crean and or Buzz , but their results showed where our program could be. In particular our years in the old Big East really showed what our team could be , those years  we were always in the  NCAA tournament. MU  should be doing well in our league , which in the new configuration should be top 3 at worst 4th. We should have a realistic goal every year of making to the second week of the tournament with an occasional deeper run. We should be developing players who are multi year NBA players who can be All Stars or long term successful players with an occasional all time NBA great .  All of this was achieved in the Crean /Buzz era.

Our resources are superb. Starting out we have a contemporary urban school that is attractive to four year players. We play in  a NBA arena that due to its proximity to campus is virtually an on campus arena for the purposes of rallying support from students. We have all the best training facilities and a willingness to spend on the program.  The alumni group is loyal , dedicated and actually buys season tickets and Milwaukee is enough of a sports town so that when we have an outstanding team, local non alums will show interest.

What better, more experienced coach was coming to MU?   And thus, your answer.

And even so, there are plenty of examples of more experienced coaches that had to rebuild in similar situations.  Isn’t the bigger question why the Wizard Of BumbleTexas took a preseason 1st place pick team to 6th and no bid at all?  That was the team we were left with.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2019, 12:48:19 PM »
My expectations of Marquette cannot be stated in black and white terms. In fairness to Wojo, from the very beginning I was not a fan of hiring a Dukie who spent 15 years as an assistant before taking a head coaching position. It's as if an A10 or similar position to gain head coaching experience was beneath his Dukie dignity and only a program of Marquette's stature was worthy of him. All the talk about becoming the "Duke of the North" and the visit from a sportswriter (I think it was Gary Parrish) who reminised with Wojo about his floorslapping days at Duke did not sit well with me. I understand that Wojo was probably our best opportunity at the time. I admit I have to fight my bias in finding any positive things about him. With all that said, he has proven himself as a recruiter and this season brought us to a #10 ranking and the expectation of at least a #3 seed in the tourney.

I was very happy to be proven wrong at 23-4. It's easy to be on board when things are going so well, yet I worried that there seemed to be no Plan B if Markus was injured or having an off game. My wife and I were  fortunate to be able to attend the Georgetown game in DC and when Markus went to the bench in the first few minutes with no points, Two words came to me. The first one was "OH". The Hoyas became the Sharks and they smelled blood. Wojo had to change gears and figure out something quickly. Sam took over and kept the entire team cool and calm, even when Gtown was down by one with what appeared to be the final possesion. To me, it was Marquette's finest hour. I thought "Wow! Wojo really does have a Plan B!".

Then there was the infamous tailspin. Again, my wife and I were fortunate to be able to attend the St. John's game in the BET. It looked like Wojo had finally righted the ship. Yes, I know St. John's played the day before and when "they're hot, they're hot and when they're not, they're not" but the way our team took over after St J's rallied within 6 points was awesome. I thought he had the team back on track and pumped up for a BET Championship and the NCAA.

I'm not going to rehash the tailspin other than to say it simply did not have to happen.

After lurking for years I finally decided to join Scoop after the end of this season. By then, the Murray State game sent me over to the Dark Side. I have been critical of Wojo because he seemed to be proving Einstein's definition of insanity- doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results. I don't want him fired. This coming season, I want him to make me eat my words. I want him to learn from his mistakes. Without the Hausers this coming season and without Markus the following season Wojo, and Marquette, are at a critical point in the program.

Is it possible that Wojo can do a minor version of UVA's redemption from the UMBC game to Nat'l Champs? Yes. I think it is not probable though. Prove me wrong Wojo. I'd love that!

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2019, 12:57:58 PM »
Make the tourney.

Then its a crapshoot. Go deep (Sweet 16 or further) at least once every 4 or 5 years.

That's really it.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2019, 01:14:04 PM »
But at least you can still watch dozens of Utah games on tv...that’s the important part.

I can too, it doesn't mean I should.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2019, 01:20:23 PM »
I can too, it doesn't mean I should.

It’s hard for cheeks to understand how people on the west coast can watch pack 12 games. He’s not the brightest bulb.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2019, 02:05:52 PM »
You can reject it all you want, but it doesn't make it true.

Name me a team that failed to make the NIT, then lost it's coach, 5/6 of it's top players in terms of minutes played, and all but one member of it's recruiting class and then made the NCAA the next season. Bonus points if you can find a team that matches all that AND the top returning player in terms of minutes is the same level of player as Derrick Wilson.

90.9 mpg, 23.9 ppg, 14.2 rpg, 8.1 apg, 4.2 spg, 0.8 bpg, 8.1 FGpg, 0.9 3Ppg

The stat line above? That's the combined 13-14 season averages of every player Wojo inherited. Keep in mind those averages were put together on a roster that couldn't even make the NIT....with a better coach coaching them! Wojo has more points returning from Markus Howard this year then he did from his entire first roster combined.

Expecting Wojo to reload that first season was not reasonable. Not close to reasonable. I could hear an argument that he should have been there by year 2 but I don't think that's realistic either. Wojo took two years to rebuild and since then has gone NCAA bubble team, NIT, NCAA high seed. We're projected to make the NCAAs again next season. If we do, I think two years of rebuild, one year of NIT, and three years of NCAA should reasonably meet expectations for a coach's first six years. Could others have done better? Probably. But would it be results worth firing a coach for? I don't think so, unless recruiting falls off and trajectory is trending down.
Please refer to every post made by Ners on this matter. Thanks.

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2019, 02:35:17 PM »

Brother Herm, are you kidding me?

You're one of the brighter posters on this board. You should know better.

The Cowboy's last year was a disaster. Yes, you and I could argue that it was because Vander Blue left and Todd Mayo was, well, Todd Mayo, brother of OJ. But the fact was that the Cowboy left a bare cupboard and there really wasn't much there.

About the only thing we could have done was make peace with the Cowboy. Not sure that was going to happen. When we began looking, there was nothing. Period.

Our choice was Ben Howland, Cuonzo Martin and Wojo. No, Shaka wasn't coming. Cuonzo has since cut and run for his second job and Howland, despite all his press, hasn't got Mississippi State to the top echelon of the SEC. That leaves Wojo and while I have some concern about Wojo's management skills, he is our coach and he inherited a dumpster fire.

I don't think for a moment he caused the rebuild. You can hold him accountable for us not being an elite program after five years -- and the dumpster fire that's burning now. But don't hold him accountable for things that happened before he arrived here.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2019, 03:02:38 PM »
It’s hard for cheeks to understand how people on the west coast can watch pack 12 games. He’s not the brightest bulb.

I can watch every Pac 12 game if I want to but again, why would I? To watch mediocre basketball? To hear Bill Walton say "conference of champions" 21 times per game? As much of a hoops junkie that I am I draw the line somewhere and a Utah/Oregon State or Washington State/Cal game is definitely on the wrong side of the line.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2019, 03:04:15 PM »

Oh I get it just fine, I simply asked the question how you were since their distribution is cut down so much.  You didn’t answer the question, but yeah I get the sports tv market just a little bit.  😀

I’d also wonder why someone was that committed to watching Utah basketball, but I am glad you are still able to watch.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2019, 03:11:46 PM »

Every post he made on this matter was stupid and ill informed. So my counter point would be don't do that.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2019, 03:14:43 PM »

Ners has an unholy and flat out wrong obsession with that team.    To use him as a reference diminishes you.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2019, 04:20:06 PM »

He was never able to successfully answer the question:

So Ners' position was that it was reasonable to expect Wojo to do something that had never been done before by any coach. Or at least do something so rare that no one could think of an example.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2019, 04:37:02 PM »
He was never able to successfully answer the question:

So Ners' position was that it was reasonable to expect Wojo to do something that had never been done before by any coach. Or at least do something so rare that no one could think of an example.

Sure, I will get scoffed at(not sure why, just stating a fact), but Duke and UK come right to mind as far as losing basically their whole starting 5 almost every year. Do they take a step back?? Virginia is going to lose 3 starters for sure this year(possibly a 4th), we will wait and see how they do this year. Not saying it would have been an easy task for Wojo to do in year one, but it could have been done. I don't frown on him so much for year one...but not making the tournament the year he had Henry, to me was inexcusable, and was the first obvious moment to me that he would struggle to Coach.

feedback