* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[Today at 05:56:07 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 05:47:31 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jayce Johnson to Marquette  (Read 37645 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Jayce Johnson to Marquette
« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2019, 11:47:34 AM »
I completely agree. I'm surprised by some of the responses questioning why we made this move. As I've stated before, going into the season with Theo and Ed as the only big bodies would have been flirting with disaster in the absence of those who jumped ship. Heldt's role was small but significant on the occasions we needed him this year. Sure someone like Blackshear would have been fantastic, but not many like that around. Jayce can definitely contribute to this team and I don't see a downside with him being immediately available for a one year slot. I think this was an important get for depth purposes.

Yep. We not only had Heldt for an emergency, but also could put Joey and even Sam at the 5 in certain situations. None of those options exist now. As others have said, it really was a no-brainer get. Happy to have Jayce with the Warriors.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #101 on: May 08, 2019, 11:58:49 AM »
We did not get worse by signing him, so hope for the best. Do not know enough about him to make him any true judgement on how much impact he will have on the squad.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #102 on: May 08, 2019, 12:40:28 PM »
Hopin' ta bee pleasantly surprised, rather dan bitterly disappointed, aina? Translation=knot expectin' much, hey?
I agree with this analysis
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #103 on: May 08, 2019, 12:54:21 PM »
So will Marquette have 2 or 3 (Koby?) Mormons on the team now?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 01:00:19 PM by Waldo Jeffers »

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #104 on: May 08, 2019, 02:30:42 PM »
And sam and joey not providing help defense you should add.  Mu will be noatbly better on defense

Unless Jayce has feet that face the wrong way, team "D" will improve dramatically without the Hauser's.  And "D" is the most important part of this get.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 02:37:57 PM by f/k/a humanlung »

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #105 on: May 08, 2019, 02:37:41 PM »
So will Marquette have 2 or 3 (Koby?) Mormons on the team now?

Zero Mormons. Maybe some Latter-day Saints though.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #106 on: May 08, 2019, 02:48:31 PM »
Zero Mormons. Maybe some Latter-day Saints though.

Aren't they the same thing? Almost positive
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #107 on: May 08, 2019, 02:56:52 PM »
I agree with this analysis

If only his brother or father played in the NBA!
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #108 on: May 08, 2019, 03:26:34 PM »
Aren't they the same thing? Almost positive

they are. The LDS Church no longer wants "Mormons" used to describe their members.

https://www.lds.org/church/news/mormon-is-out-church-releases-statement-on-how-to-refer-to-the-organization?lang=eng
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #109 on: May 08, 2019, 04:42:03 PM »

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #110 on: May 08, 2019, 05:58:43 PM »
We did not get worse by signing him, so hope for the best. Do not know enough about him to make him any true judgement on how much impact he will have on the squad.
This board is for uninformed hot takes. Take your “mitigating-ness” elsewhere. Thank you.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #111 on: May 08, 2019, 06:16:06 PM »
Interesting interview with Jayce after a solid performance earlier this year

https://pac-12.com/videos/jayce-johnson-credits-working-vertical-slimming-down-recent-production

PS Always great when the interviewer can look eye to eye with the interviewee lol
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #112 on: May 08, 2019, 09:47:17 PM »
Yes, I need to purchase a TV and know nothing about basketball.  Averaged 15 minutes per game, 5.6 points, and 4.5 rebounds.  Sat out an entire year previous to this where he averaged 23.4 minutes per game, 9.4 points, and 7.5 rebounds.  Oh, in a much more tough and physical big ten.  Tell me those were the numbers you were hoping for.

Dude... do you really think you just took a dig at a guy by making a dig at another guy who has a feature article about his draft prospects on ESPN.com.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #113 on: May 08, 2019, 11:02:46 PM »
A guy who averaged 7 points a game last year at Utah will save the season! 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #114 on: May 08, 2019, 11:36:15 PM »

Nope.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #115 on: May 09, 2019, 06:37:29 AM »
Does anyone know if Jayce and Markus are friends? I see they both attended Findlay College Prep and I believe they overlapped.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #116 on: May 09, 2019, 06:45:15 AM »
Are y'all really whining about a 7 footer we just signed? This is our first real center in like 40 years.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #117 on: May 09, 2019, 06:49:00 AM »
Are y'all really whining about a 7 footer we just signed? This is our first real center in like 40 years.

You’re not even a good troll. At least say something that is remotely believable.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #118 on: May 09, 2019, 06:53:00 AM »
Does anyone know if Jayce and Markus are friends? I see they both attended Findlay College Prep and I believe they overlapped.

Markus only played one year at Findlay.  I believe Jayce was a freshman at Utah that year.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #119 on: May 09, 2019, 07:20:46 AM »
You’re not even a good troll. At least say something that is remotely believable.

But for real. Our only other center over 6'9 in years on Otule. One eyed otule. Let's think about some of the centers we've had in previous years. Davante gardner, Theo John, Matt Heldt, Luke Fischer (who's listed at 6'11... but ya.) Lazar Hayward, Osssmaaaaanbaaaarooo

• All American
« Reply #120 on: May 09, 2019, 07:43:07 AM »
But for real. Our only other center over 6'9 in years on Otule. One eyed otule. Let's think about some of the centers we've had in previous years. Davante gardner, Theo John, Matt Heldt, Luke Fischer (who's listed at 6'11... but ya.) Lazar Hayward, Osssmaaaaanbaaaarooo

Oooohhhhhh.....

So now you are qualifying your statement by using the 6'9" limitation to disqualify Davante.  But you also now seem to be forgetting that you said "40 years."  Which excludes the following players:

Tom Copa (NBA player)
Jim McIlvaine (NBA player, GMC player of the year)
Amal McCaskill (NBA player)
Robert Jackson (general badass)

Jayce Johnson will very likely not be as good as any of them.  Furthermore, Theo John and Luke Fischer are "real centers." 

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #121 on: May 09, 2019, 07:52:57 AM »

... claimed not a single Scooper.

Don't think they overlapped. But even if they didn't, it's interesting that somebody who probably knows a lot about "selfish Markus" would agree to be his teammate when he had numerous other choices.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #122 on: May 09, 2019, 08:11:16 AM »

Oooohhhhhh.....

So now you are qualifying your statement by using the 6'9" limitation to disqualify Davante.  But you also now seem to be forgetting that you said "40 years."  Which excludes the following players:

Tom Copa (NBA player)
Jim McIlvaine (NBA player, GMC player of the year)
Amal McCaskill (NBA player)
Robert Jackson (general badass)

Jayce Johnson will very likely not be as good as any of them.  Furthermore, Theo John and Luke Fischer are "real centers."

Davante too damn big to touch the rim, is my favorite player. He was never a center. I watched the tbt 2 years ago and watched him get demolished by a true 7 footer. Yes you are correct about mcllvaine. I guess I should have been less sarcastic in my 40 year claim and instead dipped into 25.

And Luke "lost his spot to heldt" Fischer was the worst "center" of the bunch
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 08:13:00 AM by #UnleashCain »

• All American
« Reply #123 on: May 09, 2019, 08:15:01 AM »
Davante Gardner was a college basketball center.  Period.  Who cares how he did in a glorified pick up tournament?

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #124 on: May 09, 2019, 08:17:22 AM »
Davante Gardner was a college basketball center.  Period.  Who cares how he did in a glorified pick up tournament?

Davante was a forward forced into playing the center position because Marquette lacked a true center. And he was exposed on being to small vertically.

Are you saying Lazar was also a center because he played the position in college?

feedback