'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MU82
[Today at 12:03:03 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: wojo extended for 5 years  (Read 34203 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: wojo extended for 5 years
« Reply #125 on: May 08, 2019, 08:07:33 AM »
Not entirely true...I know it's unprecedented but Wojo did NOT have to release all the recruits he did...he didn't have to dismiss Todd Mayo from the team...and further, IF a rebuild was necessary, it should take ONE year at the most then be right back to making the NCAA's again without much trouble. His has taken longer than it really should.

Well yeah he did.

And you are the first guy I have encountered who actually pined for Todd Mayo.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #126 on: May 08, 2019, 08:11:29 AM »
Well if we are going to use social media as the voice of record, don’t you have to count the likes, too?  Way more hearts and likes on IG and Twitter then negative comments and it isn’t close.  Using that amazingly scientific approach, it would show a small minority.  People can argue all they want on the degree of smallness.

This is the same fan base that bashes the only coach to get MU to a Final Four other than McGuire.....so I take it with a grain of salt.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #127 on: May 08, 2019, 08:13:09 AM »
It's crazy how much power social media gives to anybody. It's even more crazy how much people bash others through social media.

This comment flew right by everyone else but just had to say.....I see what you did there.  Nice 8-)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #128 on: May 08, 2019, 08:14:28 AM »
Buzz was our coach in the 70s? Who knew?

The way he dealt with sexual assault....one would think so....or maybe even the 40’s.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #129 on: May 08, 2019, 08:14:39 AM »
This comment flew right by everyone else but just had to say.....I see what you did there.  Nice 8-)

+1
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #130 on: May 08, 2019, 08:20:08 AM »

I think you're wrong.  Numerous classmates of mine who aren't on Scoop were texting me their disbelief yesterday.  It may be a minority of fans, but it isn't small.

I think the apathy crowd has increased the greatest. Still care about MU ball but wouldn’t be happy or sad if Wojo were not the coach. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #131 on: May 08, 2019, 08:24:40 AM »
Your internet tough guy routine is humorous, but you didn’t answer my question. Do you honestly believe there is only a small minority of the fan base that’s frustrated with Wojo and his current performance as our head coach?

Internet tough guy routine? Umm, OK.
No, I'd say  more than a small minority is frustrated. Which in no way alters the fact that your feeble use of Instagram comments is dumb.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #132 on: May 08, 2019, 08:37:26 AM »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #133 on: May 08, 2019, 08:38:38 AM »
The list goes on and on?  Nope, it doesn’t.  In fact the list is very short.....that’s why.  Very short currently in today’s day and age of college basketball.  This just in the 1970’s called and they want their Ford Pinto back.

In our history we have made it 5 straight or more two times in our history.  McGuire in the 70’s and Crean/ Buzz combo in the 2000’s. 

Do I think we can?  Yes.  Do I expect it or believe it is the normal course of college hoops now...no.  The number of schools that currently have 6 or more straight NCAA appearances is....drum roll...is 7 schools.

Nova
Kansas
Duke
Gonzaga
UNC
Cincinnati
Michigan State

That’s it!!!!!!

Originally you said we had only one coach at MU who made the NCAA 5 straight times - Al McGuire. You then listed the coaches (Crean, Buzz, Majerus, etc) who never did it. Now you CYA with an edit that say we have only made it 5 or more times twice - under Al and under Crean/Buzz.

Truth? It's simple, misstatements and goal post moving aside. 2 coaches in MU history have made the NCAA tournament 5 years in a row. Al McGuire and Buzz Williams. Tom Crean? No.

Oregon Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #134 on: May 08, 2019, 08:42:56 AM »
What I don’t believe is your characterization and that of Research Report because it was so fundamentally flawed from an analytics perspective.  RR especially. 

If 10000 fans heard the news and 80% of the negative ones ended up on social media but only 10% of the positive ones while 100% of the neutral opinions didn’t bother, what would the outcome look like?  There is no way to know what the denominator is.  It wasn’t a poll, just anonymous people complaining.  That’s the problem with it.

If fans are pissed, show them who is boss and cancel your tickets.

That’s fair and I don’t disagree that it’s difficult to quantify the percentage of upset fans. It just seems evident that the number of disgruntled fans is more than a selected few.

While I understand your point, canceling season tickets is a difficult ask. You don’t have to love your head coach to still love your university. I want MU to win every game. I want Wojo to succeed and I don’t disagree that extending his contract was the right thing to do from an optics standpoint. I just have major concerns about his ability to coach basketball.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #135 on: May 08, 2019, 08:44:30 AM »
Lenny I made a mistake and fixed it, even said publicly I was fixing it.  Let me know when you fix your comment about Sam being pressured in the Georgetown game....thanks....we all need Nobel leadership and you can be that shiny point of light.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 09:12:11 AM by Cheeks »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #136 on: May 08, 2019, 08:45:46 AM »
That’s fair and I don’t disagree that it’s difficult to quantify the percentage of upset fans. It just seems evident that the number of disgruntled fans is more than a selected few.

While I understand your point, canceling season tickets is a difficult ask. You don’t have to love your head coach to still love your university. I want MU to win every game. I want Wojo to succeed and I don’t disagree that extending his contract was the right thing to do from an optics standpoint. I just have major concerns about his ability to coach basketball.

And that’s fine, but that’s not how it wa portrayed especially by Research Report....the irony in the name “research”.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #137 on: May 08, 2019, 08:47:24 AM »
Honestly if you want the truth I just don't care as much as I used to Wojo's tenure has really sap the enjoyment and pleasure out of Marquette basketball for me.. and then I come to this board and there's "fan's" like you and so many others that just..repeatedly go on and on and on about how the MU program is a "nice program, but will never be elite". I get so tired of hearing it.

People around me have said " what's wrong with you, you used to eat, breathe and sleep Marquette basketball". I tell them the last 5 years is what happened to me..tired of the losing and the general malaise that seems to eminate from the program and a majority of fans.

Mediocrity has been injected into my veins the last 5 years..not by choice mind you..and I simply don't have the energy for it anymore..so Chicos..congratulations..you and your fellow people(the Wojo slurpers, the small time accepters, the small time thinkers)..you win...you and Wojo have sucked the life out of me..maybe it's for the best.

One final thought..I wonder if as a parent you have taught your kids to "dream big" or that they can be "whatever they want to be"..or if one of them says "Dad, I wanna be an astronaut when I grow up". If you encourage them or if you say " well, that's great, but that's not realistic..only xxx #of people ever become astronauts, so you  aren't likely to ever be one".

I assume you meant to type "6" every time you typed "5" as your view is based on results and Buzz's last season was a dumpster fire with regards to results

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #138 on: May 08, 2019, 08:49:47 AM »
Do you honestly believe there is only a small minority of the fan base that’s frustrated with Wojo and his current performance as our head coach?

You didn't ask me, but here goes anyway.

I'm one of those people who care deeply about the basketball program. Excellence in basketball is an extension of excellence in everything at Marquette. Plus, having a great basketball program helps provide money and attention that fuels other priorities held by the University.

In that vein, my guess is a majority of fans are frustrated with Wojo. Had the Brothers Hauser not transferred and had the Baby Hauser and the team not melted down in March, I think Wojo would have been thought of as having an ability to walk on water.

If "ifs and buts were Christmas nuts..."

The fact is the transfers and the meltdown happened. The fact is a program that spends like a blueblood (or at least a near blueblood) hasn't won even a single NCAA Championship game in many, many years. The fact is we lost to a team in the NCAAs that we had no business losing to, largely because our coach couldn't devise an effective defense to stop a team we should have clobbered. The fact is we don't seem to make effective in-game adjustments in way too many cases.

The vast majority of us see a good guy in Wojo, who runs a clean program and is doing his best to keep us out of the crime and punishment section of local and regional newspapers. But we also see the five-year record of a coach and believe we should have been in the NCAAs at least three of the last five years and should have at least a couple of NCAA wins. This makes us frustrated.

Most of us are reasonable people and understand why Coach Wojo was extended. We're willing to give him some benefit of the doubt, up to a point. I'd also suggest strong fans of Marquette really are willing to ride this horse a bit longer because the alternative is yet another three-to-five year rebuild. Nobody wants that, if it can be avoided. But most of us also believe Marquette can and will be an elite, if not blueblood, program.

That's what I suspect most of us really think!

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #139 on: May 08, 2019, 09:05:12 AM »
I've had fun watching the team during Wojo's tenure. He has recruited some really interesting players and continues to do so. The on-court product has been solid. A lot of close games, buzzer beaters, and controversial calls that have all worked to hook us even more. I've been happy with what Wojo has done. I don't think he's a genius, but the job doesn't take a genius. I don't think he is the most charismatic person either, but fans that think that's important are missing perspective. Wojo is a grinder that outworks most of his peers. That's what Milwaukee is all about, that's what Wisconsin is all about, that's what Marquette should be all about. I'm very happy with the direction he is taking the program.

To be clear, I draw zero of my life's worth from the success of MU basketball. It is clear from reading the endless debates sparked by a small group of posters on here that some of us do place some of our life's value in Marquette hoops. So I can understand the sheer anger at not being a blue blood yet, or not being a consistent top 10 team.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #140 on: May 08, 2019, 09:15:06 AM »
Contracts for coaches in college athletics are largely meaningless.  Coaches leave contracts all the time for other jobs.  There are many instances of coaches signing extensions and then leaving shortly thereafter for another position.  If Wojo has success this year, he’ll be a hot commodity.  You don’t believe it and that’s fine.

On the Marquette side of things, they know without an extension, it puts the coaching staff at a disadvantage in recruiting.  I’d prefer him to have a strong 2020 recruiting class than not and if this helps, great.  Ultimately, it’s a big season for him and his staff.  Marquette still has the option to move on, this extension does not dismiss that option.  But I’m sure they prefer success and not having to make that choice and this extension helps all.

I find the reaction to this extension humorous as if this ties Marquette to Wojo for the length of it.  It doesn’t.  Last week, the Badgers athletic department rolled over the contracts of all their coaches for another year, a SOP.  A small, but vocal subset of fans were aghast at Gard getting an “extension”.  That made me chuckle as does the hand-wringing here

Good use of facts, and reasonable opinions. Well done.

I'm one of those people who care deeply about the basketball program. Excellence in basketball is an extension of excellence in everything at Marquette. Plus, having a great basketball program helps provide money and attention that fuels other priorities held by the University.

In that vein, my guess is a majority of fans are frustrated with Wojo. Had the Brothers Hauser not transferred and had the Baby Hauser and the team not melted down in March, I think Wojo would have been thought of as having an ability to walk on water.

The fact is the transfers and the meltdown happened. The fact is a program that spends like a blueblood (or at least a near blueblood) hasn't won even a single NCAA Championship game in many, many years. The fact is we lost to a team in the NCAAs that we had no business losing to, largely because our coach couldn't devise an effective defense to stop a team we should have clobbered. The fact is we don't seem to make effective in-game adjustments in way too many cases.

The vast majority of us see a good guy in Wojo, who runs a clean program and is doing his best to keep us out of the crime and punishment section of local and regional newspapers. But we also see the five-year record of a coach and believe we should have been in the NCAAs at least three of the last five years and should have at least a couple of NCAA wins. This makes us frustrated.

Most of us are reasonable people and understand why Coach Wojo was extended. We're willing to give him some benefit of the doubt, up to a point. I'd also suggest strong fans of Marquette really are willing to ride this horse a bit longer because the alternative is yet another three-to-five year rebuild. Nobody wants that, if it can be avoided. But most of us also believe Marquette can and will be an elite, if not blueblood, program.

Another very reasonable comment.

Uncle Rico and dgies ... shame on you for employing nuance and fairness. Such rational thought will make some Scoopers' heads explode.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #141 on: May 08, 2019, 09:15:55 AM »

There are very few blueblood elite programs.  Villanova is what they are at the moment because of Jay Wright.  UNC, Kansas and a few others are there regardless of coach.  When Wright leaves, Nova will take a step back.  Maybe it is about definitions, but MU’s one perch at the top was because of a single coach. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #142 on: May 08, 2019, 09:21:18 AM »
Lenny I made a mistake and fixed it, even said publicly I was fixing it.  Let me know her you fix your comment about Sam being pressured in the Georgetown game....thanks....we all need Nobel leadership and you can be that shiny point of light.

Cheeks - I've been ignoring your incessant trolling on this for quite some time, hoping you'd tire of your self righteous foolishness. Sadly, when it comes to self righteous foolishness you have the tenacity and stamina of an ultra marathoner.

Because Markus was out, Sam became our principal ball handler vs Georgetown. I never said they pressed him, double or triple teamed him or anything of that sort. However, they did pressure him - as any team pressures the ball/ball handler. It's called defense. And if they didn't get up on him (i.e., pressure him) he would have just shot the wide open 3 you evidently think they gave him every time down the court. That's not what happened - because they pressured him and made him work for his shot. And he was terrific.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #143 on: May 08, 2019, 09:30:41 AM »

I also care deeply about the basketball program. That's why I am also frustrated in Wojo. I am not in the "fire Wojo" camp but refuse to simply sweep the late season fiasco under the rug. Some posters shrugged off the 1-6 run as something that "happens" as on person (I have forgotten who that was) did. He also had the same comment about the transfers- "happens".

A number of prominent posters simply put the meltdown in a blender and seemed to imply that since the 24-10 record was near their preseason expectations, they were OK with the final record. Yes, tranfers "happen" but a player of Sam's caliber leaving before his senior year from a team with a forecast that Marquette briefly had?

Question for those who defend Wojo no matter what- If you followed (but were not a big fan of-neutral) a major college team in your area that had the identical season pattern (late season collapse after being #10) that Marquette had and lost 2 starters to tranfer, including one of Sam's caliber, would you shrug off that team's problems as something that "happens"?
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #144 on: May 08, 2019, 09:32:01 AM »
Please name two posters that shrugged off the season ending finish.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #145 on: May 08, 2019, 10:05:05 AM »
Please name two posters that shrugged off the season ending finish.

Please reread my post. I clearly referred to "one person" (OK, technically "on person") and clearly stated "I have forgotten who that was". Anyway, I just spent a fair amount of time to find the post but was unsuccessful.

I think you qualify as a person "who defend(s) Wojo no matter what" so perhaps you would answer my question. I respect your opinions although I do not always agree with them, so I am not trying to be difficult. Is my question not fair?
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #146 on: May 08, 2019, 11:16:33 AM »

Pretty much where I am.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #147 on: May 08, 2019, 11:32:18 AM »
Pretty much where I am.

+1000, I get tired of the Chicos that continually beat us up because we want/know the program can become elite again. I don't care if Wojo does it, or the next Coach does it...I want to reach the pinnacle again.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #148 on: May 08, 2019, 11:36:30 AM »
+1000, I get tired of the Chicos that continually beat us up because we want/know the program can become elite again. I don't care if Wojo does it, or the next Coach does it...I want to reach the pinnacle again.

Sure. Everyone wants that.

But there are those of realistic about the odds of landing a coach that can take us to the elite level. There are only so many out there. And it is highly unlikely that we would get an established coach such as UNC acquiring Williams or Kansas acquiring self. It will have to be a wright/Nova, K/Duke or stevens/Butler situation

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #149 on: May 08, 2019, 11:37:00 AM »
he didn't have to dismiss Todd Mayo from the team
Really?  So Head Coach Guru, are you going to keep the player on the team that is literally stealing from the other players?

Tell us again about how you KNOW things that others don't.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.