[Today at 01:00:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by onepost
[Today at 12:53:48 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU82
[Today at 12:50:47 PM]

Shaka 2024-2025 by wadesworld
[Today at 09:00:02 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: TBT 2019  (Read 129909 times)

injuryBug

• Team Captain
Re: TBT 2019
« Reply #650 on: August 07, 2019, 02:46:54 PM »
As good a job as Chapman did the entire tourney, he blew that game. Awful roster management. Rel hadn’t earned many minutes at all much less the crucial minutes with 2mil on the line. I feel really bad for the guys that got them there only to have it blown by a guy who didn’t contribute. I love Jerel but that was inexcusably bad by him and JC

Too many coaches forget you need to score and control the ball at the end of games.  Yes defense is great but a smart player who can score and control the ball will not hurt you on defense at the end of games they will help you win more often than not.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #651 on: August 07, 2019, 03:45:05 PM »
That's on Chapman as much as McNeal at the end there. Why on earth he is playing him was beyond me. Could have played Acker, Charlo. Why was he bringing it up the court? So disappointing.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #652 on: August 07, 2019, 04:31:25 PM »
Too complicated.  How about just 2 shots and the ball?

I think that makes both teams leery of any serious defensive effort but I could see 1 shot and the ball. It is somewhat complicated but the idea was to float an idea that not only made intentional fouling a very risky gamble for the trailing team to get possesion but also a way to prevent the leading team to shoot at the :27 or:28 second mark ala UVA or UW and burn the clock. It makes both teams head more in the direction of a shootout.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #653 on: August 07, 2019, 10:48:13 PM »
Franschilla argued that the final eight of the TBT are the strongest basketball teams in the world that do not play in the NBA. 

He said they are a collection for foreign all-stars and low to mid-level former NBA players. So they are better than the best college teams and the best foreign teams.

Do you agree with this?

Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #654 on: August 07, 2019, 10:53:48 PM »
Franschilla argued that the final eight of the TBT are the strongest basketball teams in the world that do not play in the NBA. 

He said they are a collection for foreign all-stars and low to mid-level former NBA players. So they are better than the best college teams and the best foreign teams.

Do you agree with this?

Mostly. They would beat the best college teams by double digits. But, there may be a European team or two that could beat them.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #655 on: August 07, 2019, 11:12:56 PM »
Mostly. They would beat the best college teams by double digits. But, there may be a European team or two that could beat them.

Maybe if they were coached adequately but I do feel that the best college teams would win if you took them both with the amount of practices each plays with before said season.
Maigh Eo for Sam

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #656 on: August 07, 2019, 11:24:35 PM »
Maybe if they were coached adequately but I do feel that the best college teams would win if you took them both with the amount of practices each plays with before said season.

I dunno about that, just look how much Buycks, Jamil, Acker, and even Derrick have all improved since college.

Same with top-tier guys like Anthony Davis. Yea, he was awesome at Kentucky, but I think current Jamil Wilson could hang with Freshman year AD.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #657 on: August 08, 2019, 12:01:11 AM »
I dunno about that, just look how much Buycks, Jamil, Acker, and even Derrick have all improved since college.

Same with top-tier guys like Anthony Davis. Yea, he was awesome at Kentucky, but I think current Jamil Wilson could hang with Freshman year AD.

I agree but at the same time they looked sporadic and out of sorts quite often. I feel that against a disciplined Duke or UK they may struggle
Maigh Eo for Sam

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #658 on: August 08, 2019, 12:06:10 AM »

Fraschilla also made this point. 

Every guy on the eight teams in the finals is a pro player. That means 365 basketball for more years than they were in college (save Rowsey). And with age comes wisdom.

He then said that the Golden Eagles Alumni team today, would be #1 and the favorite to win the national championship.  Again TODAY. Not 8, 10 or 16 years ago (Charo and Diener are both 37) when they played in college. 

He was trying to stress that this is the highest level of basketball you will see away from the NBA.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #659 on: August 08, 2019, 06:32:10 AM »

Do you agree with this?

They would mollywop any college team. Euro teams would get some wins

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #660 on: August 08, 2019, 06:56:48 AM »
Agree on all counts with Frashilla.  Absolutely men versus boys in the areas of skill, IQ, physicality, and mentality.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #661 on: August 08, 2019, 07:47:55 AM »
Didn’t the MU squad scrimmage the alums last year and win? I think you guys are over reacting to what a talking head was saying during a broadcast..aka doing his job and trying to build hype
Bring back FFP!!!

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #662 on: August 08, 2019, 09:02:27 AM »
Didn’t the MU squad scrimmage the alums last year and win? I think you guys are over reacting to what a talking head was saying during a broadcast..aka doing his job and trying to build hype

If they did it was because the alums were walking around.

A college team is not going to beat a team of seasoned pros who all also went to d1 colleges.

Players improve after college not regress.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #663 on: August 08, 2019, 11:01:09 AM »
If they did it was because the alums were walking around.

A college team is not going to beat a team of seasoned pros who all also went to d1 colleges.

Players improve after college not regress.
I think it matters if you are referring to a November college team or a March college team. March teams are way better than they were in November. The biggest improvement is team defense. TBT teams have a lot of good offensive players. The teams that made Chicago were also pretty good on defense. However, they still were a collection of individual players vs. really well trained units. How many times did Buycks turn over the ball when he decided to do things on his own?

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #664 on: August 08, 2019, 11:04:17 AM »
I think it matters if you are referring to a November college team or a March college team. March teams are way better than they were in November. The biggest improvement is team defense. TBT teams have a lot of good offensive players. The teams that made Chicago were also pretty good on defense. However, they still were a collection of individual players vs. really well trained units. How many times did Buycks turn over the ball when he decided to do things on his own?

It doesn't matter. There is no college team at any point in the season who would best the last 8 of the tbt.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #665 on: August 08, 2019, 11:25:51 AM »

A truly laughable statement.

U do realize basically MUs starting Tbt lineup has spent time in the NBA correct?
Now please define anyother profession where an 18-21 year old with zero professional experience is better than a 30 yo in the same profession.  Swoop plz stop making yourself look so silly
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #666 on: August 08, 2019, 11:27:53 AM »
A truly laughable statement.

U do realize basically MUs starting Tbt lineup has spent time in the NBA correct?
Now please define anyother profession where an 18-21 year old with zero professional experience is better than a 30 yo in the same profession.  Swoop plz stop making yourself look so silly

Swimming, gymnastics

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #667 on: August 08, 2019, 12:35:52 PM »
Didn’t the MU squad scrimmage the alums last year and win?

I don't think it was last year but one of the years, yes it did happen. IIRC, it was at one of the TBT's first practices and not all of the players were present.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #668 on: August 08, 2019, 12:56:25 PM »
I am in agreement with those who give any college basketball team little if any chance of beating a good TBT team.

If we had this Jamil Wilson, this Mo Acker, this Dwight Buycks, even this Derrick Wilson (not to mention this Elgin Cook), we would win the NCAA title.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #669 on: August 08, 2019, 02:13:25 PM »
I am in agreement with those who give any college basketball team little if any chance of beating a good TBT team.

If we had this Jamil Wilson, this Mo Acker, this Dwight Buycks, even this Derrick Wilson (not to mention this Elgin Cook), we would win the NCAA title.

Hell, we might have won several.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #670 on: August 08, 2019, 02:23:56 PM »
I don't think it was last year but one of the years, yes it did happen. IIRC, it was at one of the TBT's first practices and not all of the players were present.

But Sand Kit says it’s laughable??? Oh wait, it happened
Bring back FFP!!!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #671 on: August 08, 2019, 05:59:52 PM »

This Dwight Buycks could average 35-40 in the Big East.  Aaron Craft was the B10 Defensive POY twice, National DPOY, and has won awards for his defense in Europe as he's presumably gotten even better.  There were multiple times Buycks flat out shook him to get his shot.  There isn't a player in college that could lock him down.  He averaged 20+ in China and still averaged 22 in the TBT despite not playing well in Chicago.

Not to mention Wilson.  People just don't realize the gap up in ability that occurs when you play basketball full time with no other distractions.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #672 on: August 08, 2019, 06:28:27 PM »
A scrimmage in training camp is not the same as a game.

The most talented team doesn't always win......especially in a short scrimmage when the better team just started practicing.

I have little doubt that the MU TBT team would beat the last 3 MU college squads in a meaningful game or series of games. .....but a scrimmage?......you are working on stuff........some older guys might be a little out of shape or whatever......it could happen.