Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Do you favor the Elam rule?

Great rule - ends the all to common foul fest.
83 (64.8%)
No. Let games end by having the game clock expire.
45 (35.2%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Voting closed: August 11, 2019, 12:03:49 PM

Author Topic: Elam Rule - Thumbs up or down?  (Read 10253 times)

Marcus92

• All American
Re: Elam Rule - Thumbs up or down?
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2019, 08:49:14 PM »
College basketball has used postseason tournaments like the NIT to experiment with new rules -- focusing on court dimensions (3-point distance, lane width), the shot clock (resetting to 20 seconds after an offensive rebound instead of 30 seconds) and fouls (resetting team fouls at the 10-minute mark of each half).

I'd expect all of those rules to become official long before the NCAA introduces the Elam Ending. They're all pretty minor adjustments, whereas the Elam Ending would significantly change game play. Don't see it happening anytime soon.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

seakm4

• Team Captain
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2019, 08:54:48 PM »
It will never happen.  The amount of add money that could possibly be lost from an overtime period wouldn't allow it.  It's fun to watch, but unless they played to 21 along with stoppage, I couldn't see it ever happening.

Also why reward players that don't practice fts?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2019, 09:18:31 PM »
It will never happen.  The amount of add money that could possibly be lost from an overtime period wouldn't allow it.  It's fun to watch, but unless they played to 21 along with stoppage, I couldn't see it ever happening.

Also why reward players that don't practice fts?

I wonder about this...does the NCAA get significant revenue, or any revenue, from overtime periods? Or does the station run commercials that were slated for a different show? Is there a revenue sharing model for those?

Obviously they generally stick with the game for continuity and ratings as it will generally be the most exciting part of the game, but does anyone know if there is a revenue bump for the NCAA? I'm sure the leagues and teams don't get any added financial benefit as they are on multi-year contracts that already pay out on the basis of that contract so an extra 5 minutes won't be factored in, but is it different for the governing body?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2019, 11:19:58 PM »
I wonder about this...does the NCAA get significant revenue, or any revenue, from overtime periods? Or does the station run commercials that were slated for a different show? Is there a revenue sharing model for those?

Obviously they generally stick with the game for continuity and ratings as it will generally be the most exciting part of the game, but does anyone know if there is a revenue bump for the NCAA? I'm sure the leagues and teams don't get any added financial benefit as they are on multi-year contracts that already pay out on the basis of that contract so an extra 5 minutes won't be factored in, but is it different for the governing body?

After giving this some though, for exactly the reason you stated (preemption), I cannot see how OT is a revenue generator for the networks unless it’s the Super Bowl.  Therefore, there’s no benefit to the content producer (the schools). 

And ESPN, FS1, etc.... their bread is buttered by subscriber fees, not ad revenue.  So the longer the games, the fewer you can air.  And the fewer games you air, the less value the subscriber gets (and is therefore willing to pay).  So the greater money may actually be in keeping games from being extended.

On a related note, with all the attention that’s being given to the mental and physical struggles of student-athletes inherent in college sports, if the NCAA is going to look at improving student-athlete quality of life, one of the first things they’re going to consider is likely to be length-of-game. 

I may have to revise my earlier statement.  On the presumption that the NCAA will fight the effort to compensate players at all costs, we are going to see changes to affect length/end-of game - both football and basketball, in particular - within the next 10 years.  It may not be the Elam Ending, but something will happen.  And the content distributors (ESPN, etc.) will be 100% on board.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2019, 08:44:28 AM »
If anything, the Elam Ending might be useful for overtime to prevent multiple OTs.  First one to 10 wins.  Kind of fits the Football and soccer stuff in OT.

I was just going to post this.  Maybe the ELAM ending is the overtime period.  First to score 8 points in OT.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2019, 08:49:26 AM »
After giving this some though, for exactly the reason you stated (preemption), I cannot see how OT is a revenue generator for the networks unless it’s the Super Bowl.  Therefore, there’s no benefit to the content producer (the schools). 

And ESPN, FS1, etc.... their bread is buttered by subscriber fees, not ad revenue.  So the longer the games, the fewer you can air.  And the fewer games you air, the less value the subscriber gets (and is therefore willing to pay).  So the greater money may actually be in keeping games from being extended.

On a related note, with all the attention that’s being given to the mental and physical struggles of student-athletes inherent in college sports, if the NCAA is going to look at improving student-athlete quality of life, one of the first things they’re going to consider is likely to be length-of-game. 

I may have to revise my earlier statement.  On the presumption that the NCAA will fight the effort to compensate players at all costs, we are going to see changes to affect length/end-of game - both football and basketball, in particular - within the next 10 years.  It may not be the Elam Ending, but something will happen.  And the content distributors (ESPN, etc.) will be 100% on board.

Do you mean that the "clock time" of games will be shorter?  Because I doubt that will change.  I do think finding a way to make the "actual time" shorter, while still maintaining ad revenue, is something that the NCAA and professional sports want, but that's going to be hard. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2019, 08:54:35 AM »
How short do we want games?  Games last right around 2 hours?  To me that's perfect.  Heck with basketball I'd be totally cool with it being even longer.  There's much more action in basketball than in baseball or football, both of which last an extra hour.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

• All American
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2019, 09:40:11 AM »
I don't think it's the length of games that's the problem.  It's the length of the last two minutes that allows it to drag on at the end.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2019, 09:44:47 AM »
I don't think it's the length of games that's the problem.  It's the length of the last two minutes that allows it to drag on at the end.

So #lengthnomatta?

• All American
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2019, 11:14:32 AM »
So #lengthnomatta?

It's not the length of the game, it's how exciting the end is. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2019, 11:38:17 AM »
It's not the length of the game, it's how exciting the end is.

As long as it's exciting for both of you
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback