[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Will Wojo be leaving next year

Yes
43 (23.1%)
No
110 (59.1%)
Maybe
33 (17.7%)

Total Members Voted: 186

Voting closed: May 06, 2019, 10:22:15 AM

Author Topic: Will Wojo be leaving next year  (Read 10253 times)

NCMUFan

• All American
Re: Will Wojo be leaving next year
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2019, 04:04:42 PM »
I said well before the Hausers transfer that next year will be Wojo’s last because I don’t believe in him as a head coach. Guess that means I’m rooting for him to fail!
Wow. 

Wojoman

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2019, 04:36:27 PM »
 Why in the world would he leave? We had a great year with a somewhat overrated team.  Yes, the team struggled at the end of the season, but that happens.  Yes, two members of the team are transferring, but that happens.  That this is all on the coach is naïve. We Have an outstanding coach who has assembled a group of fine talented  student athletes.   My vote  is a SUPPORTIVE NO.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2019, 04:54:49 PM »
I voted no.

I am not in favor of firing Wojo. I have more faith in Wojo then I do in MU actually hiring a better alternative. I am 99% sure that MU would just hire another unproven assistant.

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2019, 05:05:52 PM »
Marquette or Duke.   Those are the two options.    Powers that be are still in his corner.     It does not matter what is being howled about on scoop.

When Duke finally needs a new HC, it would seem that Bobby Hurley is well above Wojo if they go with the Coach K  tree route.

And I'm under the impression that the powers that be at MU don't really care too much about the team's won-loss record as long as the HC doesn't commit Buzz-like offenses...whatever they actually were. Most important: Don't cheat and recruit good boys who go to school like real students, and then mediocre basketball results are acceptable.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2019, 05:11:07 PM »
When Duke finally needs a new HC, it would seem that Bobby Hurley is well above Wojo if they go with the Coach K  tree route.

And I'm under the impression that the powers that be at MU don't really care too much about the team's won-loss record as long as the HC doesn't commit Buzz-like offenses...whatever they actually were. Most important: Don't cheat and recruit good boys who go to school like real students, and then mediocre basketball results are acceptable.

Lets say this is true, then why was there such a big deal made about wojos future outlook presentation during the interview? They care, but another scandal would actually crush our program. Surprisingly there's room for both, Villanova's done it, Gonzaga's done it. Heck as much as I hate them even Notre Dame has had some darn good years doing it under Brey
Maigh Eo for Sam

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2019, 05:12:54 PM »
I said well before the Hausers transfer that next year will be Wojo’s last because I don’t believe in him as a head coach. Guess that means I’m rooting for him to fail!

Yep, that the way I see it.  If you want him gone, then each loss bring him closer to that firing line, conversely each win pulls him further away from that firing line.  So it seem for you the way to go is to root for Losses more than wins.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2019, 05:29:57 PM »
I voted no.

I am not in favor of firing Wojo. I have more faith in Wojo then I do in MU actually hiring a better alternative. I am 99% sure that MU would just hire another unproven assistant.

Funny how Butler and Xavier had been able to have continued success largely on a strategy of hiring their own assistants, largely unproven:

Four of Xavier's last five coaches were former Xavier assistants--three promoted directly from assistant to head coach:
Travis Steele:  Promoted from Assistant
Chris Mack: Promoted from Assistant
Sean Miller:  Promoted from Assistant
Thad Matta: Hired from Butler
Skip Prosser: Former assistant hired from Loyola of MD

You have to go back to Pete Gillen hired by Xavier in 1985 to find a coach that had not been a previous Xavier assistant.

Similar track record of hiring former coaches
Lavalle Jordan - Former assistant, hired from UWM
Chris Holtmann: Promoted from assistant
Brandon Miller: Former assistant hired after 5 years as assistant at Ohio State and Illinois
Brad Stevens: Promoted from assistant
Todd Lickliter: Assistant promoted to HC
Thad Matta: Assistant promoted to HC

You have to go back to Barry Collier hired in 1989 to find the last time Butler went outside their own assistant ranks.  And you could argue that it was a lower risk prospect in the MCC and A10, but both programs continue to promote from within even after joining the Big East.

Interesting that many of the Butler and Xavier coaches are alums of the programs as well.  A few exceptions but the Xavier and Butler coaching ranks are filled with former Butler & Xavier players.

Compare to MU:  over that same timeframe, MU hired Dukiet, O'Neill, Deane, Crean, Buzz, and Wojo--yet only one promotion from a current assistant and no former players. 

1SE

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2019, 05:52:36 PM »
Wojo needs a top 10 recruiting class and to exceed expectations during the season (S16 or top-15 finish). If not he should see the door, he’s going nowhere.

But I doubt either of those things will happen, which means my interest in MUBB will probably wane pretty heavily for 2020-2021.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2019, 07:11:43 PM »
Wojo needs a top 10 recruiting class and to exceed expectations during the season (S16 or top-15 finish). If not he should see the door, he’s going nowhere.

But I doubt either of those things will happen, which means my interest in MUBB will probably wane pretty heavily for 2020-2021.
What a random set of goals. Didn’t you just grab them out of thin air?

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2019, 07:48:57 PM »
Yep, that the way I see it.  If you want him gone, then each loss bring him closer to that firing line, conversely each win pulls him further away from that firing line.  So it seem for you the way to go is to root for Losses more than wins.
Lol
No Finish Line

tower912

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2019, 07:49:18 PM »
Funny how Butler and Xavier had been able to have continued success largely on a strategy of hiring their own assistants, largely unproven:

Four of Xavier's last five coaches were former Xavier assistants--three promoted directly from assistant to head coach:
Travis Steele:  Promoted from Assistant
Chris Mack: Promoted from Assistant
Sean Miller:  Promoted from Assistant
Thad Matta: Hired from Butler
Skip Prosser: Former assistant hired from Loyola of MD

You have to go back to Pete Gillen hired by Xavier in 1985 to find a coach that had not been a previous Xavier assistant.

Similar track record of hiring former coaches
Lavalle Jordan - Former assistant, hired from UWM
Chris Holtmann: Promoted from assistant
Brandon Miller: Former assistant hired after 5 years as assistant at Ohio State and Illinois
Brad Stevens: Promoted from assistant
Todd Lickliter: Assistant promoted to HC
Thad Matta: Assistant promoted to HC

You have to go back to Barry Collier hired in 1989 to find the last time Butler went outside their own assistant ranks.  And you could argue that it was a lower risk prospect in the MCC and A10, but both programs continue to promote from within even after joining the Big East.

Interesting that many of the Butler and Xavier coaches are alums of the programs as well.  A few exceptions but the Xavier and Butler coaching ranks are filled with former Butler & Xavier players.

Compare to MU:  over that same timeframe, MU hired Dukiet, O'Neill, Deane, Crean, Buzz, and Wojo--yet only one promotion from a current assistant and no former players.
Marquette alum with D1 coaching experience.....
Harris
Diener
Wardle
Are we counting Merritt?

A question to ponder is why so few MU alum went into coaching.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2019, 08:04:37 PM »
Harris
Diener
Wardle
Are we counting Merritt?

They went into coaching, but at the NBA level.

Doc Rivers
Lawrence Frank
Jim Boylan

Of course Majerus in college. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2019, 08:08:07 PM »
he already has a more than decent job.
Very true!

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2019, 08:19:27 PM »
Harris
Diener
Wardle
Are we counting Merritt?

I don’t count Travis because he wasn’t a countable coach.

Mike Bargan (asst at Bradley, former JUCO HC)
Brian Barone (now HC at SIU-Edwardsville)
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2019, 08:32:13 PM »
With Doc, Boylan,  and Lawrence Frank off the table, whom is considered the best of the rest?    Wardle?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2019, 08:57:51 PM »
Wow, the Hausers leaving sure revealed an interesting fan base.  Why didn't the MU admin say "Abracadabra" a long time ago and get me the perfect coach?  Man am I pissed.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2019, 09:30:08 PM »
Sam Worthen
Oliver Lee
Ric Cobb
Bo Ellis
Bob Wolf

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2019, 12:57:18 AM »
No, he might get this team to the Final Four...

How's that for optimism.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2019, 07:30:54 AM »
Anything is possible, but I do believe that Wojo will be here until he is either fired or a clearly better job comes open. Maybe I'm misremembering but my impression of the K coaching tree is that once they get to a high major job, they don't jump to other high major jobs. Off the top of my head the only one who has been a head coach at multiple high majors is Jeff Capel, and he was fired from his first high major job due to NCAA investigations. I get the feeling that waiting for the right job and patiently building a program is something that K drills into his assistants. Just my two cents.
Johnny Dawkins and Tommy Amaker, and Quin Snyder to a degree (if you include the pros as a “high major” type job.)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2019, 07:36:30 AM »
Johnny Dawkins and Tommy Amaker, and Quin Snyder to a degree (if you include the pros as a “high major” type job.)

Snyder was fired at Missouri because of violations. He went to go coach in Russia before working his way up the NBA ranks.

Dawkins was fired at Stanford.

Amacher leaving Hall for Michigan is really the only example.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2019, 07:48:52 AM »
Snyder was fired at Missouri because of violations. He went to go coach in Russia before working his way up the NBA ranks.

Mike Brey

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2019, 07:58:09 AM »
Mike Brey

He didn’t go from high major to high major. He went from Delaware to Notre Dame.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2019, 08:33:24 AM »

Yes—and then went on to coach another high major.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2019, 09:02:57 AM »
Wow.
Pick your chin off the floor. Sarcasm ( the rooting for him to fail part). The part about next season being his last I truly believe
No Finish Line

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2019, 09:36:11 AM »

Ah, I missed Amaker. No I don't count Dawkins and Snyder. I think Amaker is the only example of a member of the Coach K coaching tree moving directly from one high major job to another and Capel is the only other one that has had two high major coaching jobs.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.