[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[April 19, 2024, 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Turnovers of the Non-Transfer Kind  (Read 2674 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
[Cracked Sidewalks] Turnovers of the Non-Transfer Kind
« on: April 26, 2019, 10:43:22 AM »
I've given a lot of thought recently to Marquette & turnovers. I believe turnovers are a key to Marquette's 2019-20 success, not just on offense but also on defense. I'll acknowledge immediately that using Synergy, Paint Touches could probably do an even deeper dive, but I'm writing this to at least start the conversation. If anyone else wants to run with the idea, please do.

In 5 years under Steve Wojciechowski, Marquette's offense has been woeful in both offensive turnover rate & opponent steal percentage. The result of these turnovers is empty possessions at best & easy run-outs for the opponents at worst. Considering this has been an issue for 5 years, this seems like a system problem more than just a player problem.

Continued: http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2019/04/turnovers-of-non-transfer-kind.html
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mileskishnish72

• All American
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Turnovers of the Non-Transfer Kind
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 11:02:29 AM »
Good read, Brew. More than just your toes in the water on the topic.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 11:21:38 AM »
Man, I hope we're not paying you by the word.  8-)

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 11:26:38 AM »

LOL this started as a tweet thread on my phone. When I got to 23 tweets, I figured I should just write it out  ;D

macman320

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 09:21:22 PM »
So does having this system inhibit us from getting the athletic players we’d need to increase steals who want to play in a more agressive defensive system?
Do we not play like that because we don’t have the players? Will be curious if we revert back at all, at least at times to mix it up.
Thanks for posting, good read.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 04:27:17 PM »
Good. Makes one wonder what the hell wojo is getting paid for.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 05:21:51 PM »
So does having this system inhibit us from getting the athletic players we’d need to increase steals who want to play in a more agressive defensive system?
Do we not play like that because we don’t have the players? Will be curious if we revert back at all, at least at times to mix it up.
Thanks for posting, good read.

We'll see with the 2020 class, but guys like Elliott, Cain, Bailey, Akanno, & Torrence have the physical attributes to force turnovers. Elliott & Cain have already shown that on the court.

The question will be if Wojo considers more pressure on the ball handler, allows players to gamble on steals, and gives minutes to the players best suited to create turnovers and transition scoring.

I feel like Wojo's roster is going into a third phase. His first shift from Buzz's recruits was to bring in shooters like Carlino, Rowsey, Hauser, & Howard. When we were being out-physicaled, he recruited Theo & Ed. Now he's working on longer athletic types. Interestingly, many of the same switchable skills Buzz favored.

If he can find athletes with the length, physicality, & shooting skills, we'll be in a very good place. But those recruits are in very high demand.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 01:49:56 PM »
We'll see with the 2020 class, but guys like Elliott, Cain, Bailey, Akanno, & Torrence have the physical attributes to force turnovers. Elliott & Cain have already shown that on the court.

The question will be if Wojo considers more pressure on the ball handler, allows players to gamble on steals, and gives minutes to the players best suited to create turnovers and transition scoring.

I feel like Wojo's roster is going into a third phase. His first shift from Buzz's recruits was to bring in shooters like Carlino, Rowsey, Hauser, & Howard. When we were being out-physicaled, he recruited Theo & Ed. Now he's working on longer athletic types. Interestingly, many of the same switchable skills Buzz favored.

If he can find athletes with the length, physicality, & shooting skills, we'll be in a very good place. But those recruits are in very high demand.
The more athletes of the type you describe that  we recruit , the easier it will be to attract them going forward. Athletes don't want to play with stiffs and slow guys.  I really like the guys on our roster right now.  First time since the Buzz era we can go into games with a group that has the ability to create consistent fast break opportunities.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2019, 01:56:59 PM »
ND sucks

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2019, 06:22:36 PM »
ND sucks

you can add Udub sucks more, especially since they will be adding a couple of EX-warriors to their roster
don't...don't don't don't don't

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Goal is National Championship