[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Foreign Tour  (Read 52261 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Re: Foreign Tour
« Reply #200 on: August 21, 2019, 12:03:34 PM »
Marquette also lost two of its better Free Throw shooters as well. Getting inside, getting fouled, gotta knock down the free throws. 

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #201 on: August 21, 2019, 12:25:45 PM »
I'm not sure it's more talented.....it's more physical and athletic.........probably less skilled without The Hausers.

It will be interesting........can't see the offense being as good but the defense and rebounding should/could be better.

Forcing more turnovers and taking better care of the ball are the keys for me. Need to get some easy points from the defense that we didn't get last season.

Solid Comments.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #202 on: August 21, 2019, 01:18:11 PM »
Marquette also lost two of its better Free Throw shooters as well. Getting inside, getting fouled, gotta knock down the free throws.
Likely to have more FT opportunities this upcoming season at a lower % made.  Could be a wash?   Sam is a terrific FT shooter, but he only averaged 2.3 attempts per game last season (while Joey was slightly higher at 2.7). 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #203 on: August 21, 2019, 01:51:37 PM »
Likely to have more FT opportunities this upcoming season at a lower % made.  Could be a wash?   Sam is a terrific FT shooter, but he only averaged 2.3 attempts per game last season (while Joey was slightly higher at 2.7).

Yep. that was a missed opportunity, with regards to attempts per game. In those games once in a while where Sam would be near scoreless at half, I often felt getting to the line and knocking down a couple would get him going a little bit overall. Villanova is a good example of a program that churns out many strong free throw shooters up and down the lineup over the years.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #204 on: August 21, 2019, 04:29:36 PM »
I'm not sure it's more talented.....it's more physical and athletic.........probably less skilled without The Hausers.

It will be interesting........can't see the offense being as good but the defense and rebounding should/could be better.

Forcing more turnovers and taking better care of the ball are the keys for me. Need to get some easy points from the defense that we didn't get last season.

If it was possible to agree 1,000% with something, that's how much I would agree with your last paragraph, MuMark.

We had frustratingly few points on the break last year -- very few steals that became layups, very few rebound/outlet/transition-3 type hoops.

Frankly, it's amazing our season was as successful as it was given how few easy buckets we scored and how many turnovers we committed.

Hoping all of that changes significantly this season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #205 on: August 22, 2019, 09:12:31 AM »
I feel like we had very few breakaway/easy baskets the last few years. Hopefully with more uptempo and generating turnovers, we can get some more easy buckets to mitigate some of the shooting lost.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #206 on: August 22, 2019, 12:08:53 PM »
I think Wojo's defensive philosophy emphasizes forcing difficult shots over forcing turnovers.

Forcing difficult shots is about disrupting your opponent's ability to efficiently execute the offense. It favors long, quick, athletic players who can:

1) play aggressive, man-to-man defense without fouling;
2) shut down/contain driving and passing lanes;
3) provide help when needed and still get back to their man;
4) defend multiple positions;
5) contest high-percentage shots;
6) rebound misses, limiting the opponent to one shot; and
7) maximize transition opportunities with quick outlet passes to guards/wings

The better MU's defense can shut down and contain driving and passing lanes, the more turnovers we'll force (and the more transition opportunities we'll have). I also expect to see Marquette initiate transition offense following rebounds more often -- looking to exploit opportunities for Markus, Koby, Brendan, Jamal, etc. to make aggressive drives to the basket in the open court.

That's not the same as making forcing turnovers your main defensive priority. To me, that suggests gambling for steals -- a high-risk, high-reward strategy.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 12:17:09 PM by Marcus92 »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MU82

• All American
« Reply #207 on: August 22, 2019, 11:14:08 PM »
I think Wojo's defensive philosophy emphasizes forcing difficult shots over forcing turnovers.

Forcing difficult shots is about disrupting your opponent's ability to efficiently execute the offense. It favors long, quick, athletic players who can:

1) play aggressive, man-to-man defense without fouling;
2) shut down/contain driving and passing lanes;
3) provide help when needed and still get back to their man;
4) defend multiple positions;
5) contest high-percentage shots;
6) rebound misses, limiting the opponent to one shot; and
7) maximize transition opportunities with quick outlet passes to guards/wings

The better MU's defense can shut down and contain driving and passing lanes, the more turnovers we'll force (and the more transition opportunities we'll have). I also expect to see Marquette initiate transition offense following rebounds more often -- looking to exploit opportunities for Markus, Koby, Brendan, Jamal, etc. to make aggressive drives to the basket in the open court.

That's not the same as making forcing turnovers your main defensive priority. To me, that suggests gambling for steals -- a high-risk, high-reward strategy.

All of this is reasonable, Marcus.

I'm happy to accept the steals and easy transition baskets Wojo's way!

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #208 on: August 23, 2019, 07:29:17 AM »
Was the foreign trip an “excellent adventure “?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #209 on: August 23, 2019, 10:30:40 AM »
Sounds like the twin towers strategy will indeed be in play. It will be interesting to watch. I've said for awhile now that this team is more talented on paper than last season....but it will require a major switch in offensive philosophy from past seasons in order for it to work. We will see if Wojo and co are up to the task.

So on paper Jayce, Symir and Dexter (new additions) are more talented than Matt, Sam and Joey (losses)? Please explain.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #210 on: August 23, 2019, 10:34:44 AM »
So on paper Jayce, Symir and Dexter (new additions) are more talented than Matt, Sam and Joey (losses)? Please explain.

Jayce, Symir, Dexter, Koby and Greg vs. Matt, Sam, Joey, and Chartouny?  One side is definitely better at shooting, one side is definitely more athletic.  It depends on the system that you run.  Both types of players can be effective.  Can Wojo make the system change to get the most out of the new guys?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #211 on: August 23, 2019, 10:36:39 AM »

You can add Greg and Koby given neither of them actually played last year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #212 on: August 23, 2019, 12:06:54 PM »

Your math isn't right.

Koby+Greg+Jayce+Symir+Dexter+an offseason of growth for Markus/Sacar/Ed/ Theo/Jamal/Brendan > Loss of Sam/Joey/Joe/Matt

Compared to the rest of the NCAA, Marquette is returning a lot more talent than the rest.

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #213 on: August 23, 2019, 12:19:55 PM »

Expect very little from Dexter or Symir.

Lost virtually nothing in Matt and Joe.

Returnees (Markus, Brendan B, Theo, Ed, Jamal, Sacar) should show improvement)

Additions (Jayce, Greg and Koby) are (for me) question marks. They will be key.

Subtractions (Sam and Joey) are huge. Sam was the 28th most valuable college player per Value Added stats. Joey was only #605, but he was our third best guy and only a freshman.

We have the most dynamic scorer in college basketball, a likely 1st team AA. Nobody else returning was a top 800 value added player. If guys step up we could be very good. If not, we'll be "OK". If Markus gets hurt, look out below.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #214 on: August 24, 2019, 03:04:27 PM »
Your math isn't right.

Koby+Greg+Jayce+Symir+Dexter+an offseason of growth for Markus/Sacar/Ed/ Theo/Jamal/Brendan > Loss of Sam/Joey/Joe/Matt

Compared to the rest of the NCAA, Marquette is returning a lot more talent than the rest.

Well, don't forget that Sam and Joey probably would have improved, too. If Joey improved as much from frosh to soph as Sam did, he'd have become a heck of a player, at least offensively.

So here's the actual equation IMHO:

Koby+Greg+Jayce+Symir+Dexter+an offseason of growth for Markus/Sacar/Ed/ Theo/Jamal/Brendan OR Koby+Greg+Symir+Dexter+an offseason of growth for Markus/Sam/Joey/Sacar/Ed/Theo/Jamal/Brendan

Pretty sure I'd take Door No. 2. (I'm assuming we don't bring in Jayce if Hausershima never happens, but maybe we still do. If so, Door No. 2 is even better.)

But yes, we will be returning a lot of talent, especially if the key players improve as much as we all hope.

Agree with Lenny that we should temper our expectations for Symir and Dexter this season. Maybe Greg, Jamal and Brendan, too.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #215 on: August 24, 2019, 03:16:11 PM »
I think there's some apples and oranges comparisons going on. Both of the following can be true:

• We would be a better team in 2019-20 with the Hausers than we will be without them.
  • We should be a better team in 2019-20 without the Hausers than we were in 2018-19 with them.

This team with the additions of Jayce, Symir, and Koby coupled with the development of the returning players can be better than last year's team, but we would be better still if we had the Hausers.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #216 on: August 24, 2019, 03:45:46 PM »
I think there's some apples and oranges comparisons going on. Both of the following can be true:

• We would be a better team in 2019-20 with the Hausers than we will be without them.
  • We should be a better team in 2019-20 without the Hausers than we were in 2018-19 with them.

This team with the additions of Jayce, Symir, and Koby coupled with the development of the returning players can be better than last year's team, but we would be better still if we had the Hausers.

Reasonable.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #217 on: August 25, 2019, 01:14:35 AM »
Well, don't forget that Sam and Joey probably would have improved, too. If Joey improved as much from frosh to soph as Sam did, he'd have become a heck of a player, at least offensively.

I didn't say the current roster was better than what the roster would have been if Sam and Joey had stayed. I said I think the actual 19-20 roster will be better than the actual 18-19 roster was.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu.n8ball

• Starter
« Reply #218 on: August 25, 2019, 01:15:25 AM »
plus the talk that if the hausers stayed, others would have left. ... which makes me wonder what the team looks like cuz we would have different off season transfers interested... presumably anyway.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #219 on: August 25, 2019, 01:33:38 PM »
Agree that our returning players and the addition of new talent are both key factors. Another is how everyone fits together and plays as a team.

Will the whole be greater than the sum of its parts? Whether it's greater length, quickness and athleticism, stronger rebounding, a more balanced offense, better team cohesion -- or some combination of all of the above -- that could be the biggest difference-maker this season.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MU82

• All American
« Reply #220 on: August 25, 2019, 03:44:38 PM »
I didn't say the current roster was better than what the roster would have been if Sam and Joey had stayed. I said I think the actual 19-20 roster will be better than the actual 18-19 roster was.

I understand, and I certainly wasn't trying to misrepresent what you said. I was just extrapolating a little further.

I also agree with your thesis ... if guys improve as much as we think they will and if Koby is the real deal.

MuMark

• All American

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #222 on: August 28, 2019, 10:21:52 AM »

I’m really not sure how this went so badly over people’s heads.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #223 on: August 28, 2019, 11:05:41 AM »

+3.  Dead on

This is by far Wojo's most balanced roster, especially in regards to depth, athleticism, and match-up flexibility. 

feedback