[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What is Wojo's pitch?  (Read 8486 times)

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
Re: What is Wojo's pitch?
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2019, 03:42:10 AM »
Major player mutiny....Jon if you say it enuff it does make it true.
2 malcontents and their overzealous parents are leaving.  Their attempts to dictate the terms of tge program were unsuccessful.
The other 11 players, in an era of transferring when any issue arises, have dug in and stayed with this horrible program.

Doesnt appear your narrative is backed by the facts
Seems the poll u clamor for is 11-2, 15-2, if u add in the coaches. Kinda blows ur narrative out of the water.  Glad i never found myself in a fox hole with you.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2019, 03:44:43 AM »
Well there is considerable passion on this board for both sides of the Wojo argument followed by personal attacks by some. Defending personal positions is fair play. Personal attacks are the reason many prefer to do something other than read these threads.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2019, 08:59:48 AM »
Well there is considerable passion on this board for both sides of the Wojo argument followed by personal attacks by some. Defending personal positions is fair play. Personal attacks are the reason many prefer to do something other than read these threads.

You got that Right.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2019, 09:01:59 AM »
The other angle is how other coaches will recruit against Wojo. 

"Did you know 32.6% of MU fans think Wojo should be fired and that he has no contract extension?   Or that his players wrote a mutinous letter to him to get him to change?"

You cannot worry about that.  Who do you replace him with?  Another assistant where another coach can say do you want to play for an unproven guy?  Coaches will come up with reasons for and against always. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2019, 10:16:47 AM »

"Did you know 32.6% of MU fans think Wojo should be fired and that he has no contract extension?   Or that his players wrote a mutinous letter to him to get him to change?"

The other coaches will just send them to MUScoop and say you really want to play for fans that will trash you anonymously and expect nothing less than an NCAA championship every year, and I mean every year.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2019, 10:30:20 AM »
Sandy

You should do some more homework before you post. You make a lot of assumptions and that is dangerous. So the internal poll is 15-2? My guess is that you still believe in the Easter Bunny.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2019, 11:24:23 AM »
Please don't humor yourself by pretending a survey of the less that 1% of fans who answer a survey gives a scientific poll of what percent of fans want Wojo fired.

Oh, you are so so right!  Immediately after opposing recruiters (plural) give the 32.6% fire-Wojo figure, they would express the caveat that a NY Times story says it really only represents <1% of the fan base -- because high school juniors want the truth, man!

Don't "humor yourself" that a program recruiting against Wojo would make any distinction of a Scoop poll and a scientific one. 

It is very easy to paint the perception that a third of MU fans want Wojo fired, that his contract is not being renewed, his team wrote a letter of mutiny, and the team subsequently ended a "Top 10" season on a 1-6 catastrophe. 

I mean .. come on.  I can't tell if you've had too many Arby's or not enough.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2019, 11:31:52 AM »
Not only that, recruits today are probably more savvy than ever. The Hausers' transfers didn't occur in a vacuum. Kids and their entourages will have tough questions for Wojo, as to why especially the nearly-sainted, three-year starter Sam would up and leave. Wojo better polish his Power Point.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2019, 12:12:55 PM »
Oh, you are so so right!  Immediately after opposing recruiters (plural) give the 32.6% fire-Wojo figure, they would express the caveat that a NY Times story says it really only represents <1% of the fan base -- because high school juniors want the truth, man!

Don't "humor yourself" that a program recruiting against Wojo would make any distinction of a Scoop poll and a scientific one. 

It is very easy to paint the perception that a third of MU fans want Wojo fired, that his contract is not being renewed, his team wrote a letter of mutiny, and the team subsequently ended a "Top 10" season on a 1-6 catastrophe. 

I mean .. come on.  I can't tell if you've had too many Arby's or not enough.
is that even possible. too many Arby's? I have never seen those words used in a sentence before

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2019, 12:21:48 PM »
Not only that, recruits today are probably more savvy than ever. The Hausers' transfers didn't occur in a vacuum. Kids and their entourages will have tough questions for Wojo, as to why especially the nearly-sainted, three-year starter Sam would up and leave. Wojo better polish his Power Point.

Yeah, always better to be better.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2019, 12:34:35 PM »
is that even possible. too many Arby's? I have never seen those words used in a sentence before

The body can only handle so much BAC.  Blood Arby's Content.   

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2019, 12:48:28 PM »
I'm pathetic?? Okay, I will ask you a question sand knit, and here's the deal...If you get the answer correct, AND tell me if Wojo's 5 years have been better then Crean's or Buzz's first five years.. You will NEVER have to put up with my "patheticness" on this board ever again. Deal?? It's not an opinion question, it's a FACT based question that requires a simple yes or no answer. No more, no less. Which Coach is Wojo??

A. 102-53- 2 NCAA's, a conference title a final Four, 2 NIT berths

B. 114-54- 5 NCAA's, a conference title, two sweet16's, Elite 8

C. 97-69- 2 NCAA's, NIT

Good luck!

When looking at records in isolation then an argument can be made that b,a, then c or A, B then C but there are other things to look at as well such as conference perception, roster make up at the start and many others.

Buzz came into one of the best roster in MU history with three future NBA stars, MU all time leader in scoring and top 5 PG. in year two he still had a great foundation with Lazar, butler and other Crean hold overs. Buzz then hit a good stretch with his recruits until his last year in which his team failed badly. He left because he saw a rebuild in the next few years very similar to Crean. He left because of what he thought his next opportunities would be if people saw worse teams at MU.

Crean first two years were bad and then lead to 1st round exist and then a final four. Years 5 and 6 were horrible or do you forget getting destroyed by Western Michigan in first round NIT? Crean could have left after the final four. Had he not had bad year’s of five and 6 he would have probably left before year nine. Buzz left before his really bad years would have arrived.

I support every Marquette coach and want them to do well. Some on this board appear to be actively rooting against Wojo and have been from the start. If I ran the fire Wojo or why did we hire Wojo poll in his first year I would wager it is fairly close to the results today.

If we take the emotion out of it, Wojo’s teams have gotten better each year.  Each of his predecessors had an unfortunate transfer as well. If we look at winning coaches they have all been at their schools for a long time or had high major coaching experience before transferring to a blue blood.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 01:52:14 PM by BallBoy »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2019, 01:31:33 PM »
Of the inherited rosters from worst to best:
1. Al
2. KO
3. Dukiet
4. Wojo
5. Rick
6. Buzz
7. Hank

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2019, 01:34:05 PM »
1. Al
2. KO
3. Dukiet
4. Wojo
5. Rick
6. Buzz
7. Hank

Nit picky but KO inherited Tony Smith.  Dukiet didn’t get anyone that good.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2019, 01:37:49 PM »
Dr. B

Think spot on with your list. No changes needed, IMO.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2019, 01:38:12 PM »
1. Al
2. KO
3. Dukiet
4. Wojo
5. Rick
6. Buzz
7. Hank

no crean or deane?
Maigh Eo for Sam

goinUptown

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2019, 01:41:26 PM »
I'm pathetic?? Okay, I will ask you a question sand knit, and here's the deal...If you get the answer correct, AND tell me if Wojo's 5 years have been better then Crean's or Buzz's first five years.. You will NEVER have to put up with my "patheticness" on this board ever again. Deal?? It's not an opinion question, it's a FACT based question that requires a simple yes or no answer. No more, no less. Which Coach is Wojo??

A. 102-53- 2 NCAA's, a conference title a final Four, 2 NIT berths

B. 114-54- 5 NCAA's, a conference title, two sweet16's, Elite 8

C. 97-69- 2 NCAA's, NIT

Good luck!

seems like multiple choice, no?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2019, 02:33:46 PM »

Agreed.

There are all kinds of ways opposing coaches will use the Hauser situation and so-called mutiny to recruit negatively against Wojo. And right now, looking forward, that is my main concern. I'm not obsessed with it, because I try hard to not get worked up about things I can't control, but as a fan who wants to see us succeed it is a concern and it is a legitimate argument for ripping off the Band-Aid sooner than later.

Assuming that the Band-Aid does not get ripped off, however, it will be interesting to see how Wojo's recruiting goes. I would love for you and me to be very, very wrong about this affecting recruiting, and for him to land our best class in years. We certainly are being mentioned with some outstanding prospects, so we have little choice but to sit back and see what happens.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2019, 02:43:28 PM »

And Trevor Powell.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2019, 02:55:34 PM »
1. Al
2. KO
3. Dukiet
4. Wojo
5. Rick
6. Buzz
7. Hank

We have litigated this so often, but sure, we can play again and it beats talking about Woe-jo's "mutiny" ...

Tony Smith, one of the best players in Marquette history, and Trevor Powell, a junior who averaged 15-6 in Dukiet's last year ... those 2 players alone are better than anything several of the other coaches inherited. Plus Baldwin and Anglavar.

Now, queue some Scoopers to say how tragic that group was and how broken the program was overall. The last part of that sentence is true, of course. Dukiet badly stained the program, and KO did a great job fixing it ... thanks partly to his coaching of a not-bare cupboard and to his outstanding recruiting after that.

I'm a big KO fan. I just have to laugh at the occasional elevation of him to Saint Kevin -- especially given that he's the coach who invented the notion of Marquette as a stepping-stone job.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2019, 03:06:58 PM »

I'm a big KO fan. I just have to laugh at the occasional elevation of him to Saint Kevin -- especially given that he's the coach who invented the notion of Marquette as a stepping-stone job.

O'Neill saved the program, so I can forgive him for treating it like a stepping stone.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2019, 09:22:35 PM »

Tony Smith signed his LOI when Rick was coach, but Rick bolted before Tony ever made it to campus.  Dukiet did recruit Trevor Powell, who KO inherited along with Tony Smith.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 07:59:09 AM by lurch91 »

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2019, 09:29:15 PM »
Tony Smith signed his LOI when Rick was coach, but Rick bolted before Tony ever made it to campus.  Dukiet did recruit Trevor Powell, who KO in herited along with Tony Smith.

Gotcha. Thanks.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2019, 09:34:52 PM »
Contracts are made to be broken; most #NoMatta.

I will say the 2020 PF kids may see MU as more attractive with Joey outta here.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2019, 08:00:53 AM »
Contracts are made to be broken; most #NoMatta.

I will say the 2020 PF kids may see MU as more attractive with Joey outta here.

I was thinking the same exact thing.  In many ways this makes MU look more attractive.

feedback