[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Lets talk St Johns  (Read 9253 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Lets talk St Johns
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2019, 08:41:06 AM »
Why is it a good fit for recruiting?  He's from the south, never coached anywhere but the south, and has rarely (if ever) pulled from the northeast to those schools.  I get that he can learn and develop networks, and make a lot of in roads with the right assistants, but I don't see how it can be a "great fit."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2019, 08:44:29 AM »
I think the type of players SJU has traditionally had and the type NYC area typically produces; tough, athletic, defensive minded fits his system well. Inroads is another dynamic to recruiting and I agree he’ll have to develop those
No Finish Line

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2019, 09:37:55 AM »
I think the type of players SJU has traditionally had and the type NYC area typically produces; tough, athletic, defensive minded fits his system well. Inroads is another dynamic to recruiting and I agree he’ll have to develop those

If he hired the NY Rens AAU coach as his assistant there are his inroads.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2019, 09:51:07 AM »
U think Anderson would be interested inthe Hausers? Lol
How many good athletic teams did MU beat this year? Mu could shoot but if Wojo did anyhting wrong with the Hausers it was recruit too many of them rendering our team too slow and unathletic in a game and league dependent on athleticism.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2019, 10:26:17 AM »
U think Anderson would be interested inthe Hausers? Lol
How many good athletic teams did MU beat this year? Mu could shoot but if Wojo did anyhting wrong with the Hausers it was recruit too many of them rendering our team too slow and unathletic in a game and league dependent on athleticism.

I'm definitely worried about our three-point shooting next year. Most likely, at the moment the majority of Hauser minutes go to McEwen, Bailey, & I imagine Cain or Elliott. That's almost certainly a downgrade in shooting. But as far as defensive speed & fit, it's actually better. Even still, Sam was really good at playing to his assignment & watching 133 three point makes at a 40.9% clip walk out the door is a big blow to the offense.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2019, 10:56:16 AM »
Does this say more about st John's or the big east? The people on the Nova board are much more pessimistic about this conference than the rest of us. Cant blame them. Without them we'd be the mvc

It says nothing about the conference.  The administration at St. John's has been in disarray for the better part of the last decade.

This was well known behind the scenes but the coaching search has allowed the general public a peek at the mayhem.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2019, 12:47:02 PM »
I'm definitely worried about our three-point shooting next year. Most likely, at the moment the majority of Hauser minutes go to McEwen, Bailey, & I imagine Cain or Elliott. That's almost certainly a downgrade in shooting. But as far as defensive speed & fit, it's actually better. Even still, Sam was really good at playing to his assignment & watching 133 three point makes at a 40.9% clip walk out the door is a big blow to the offense.

Freely admit we will miss sam for 1 yr.  thats the sam of the first 20 games not the last 8.  Joey is like a hand splashing water in a bucket, remove and a minute later no one knows he was ever there.  Overrated, slow, soft, unintelligent, baby

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2019, 03:09:21 PM »
Freely admit we will miss sam for 1 yr.  thats the sam of the first 20 games not the last 8.  Joey is like a hand splashing water in a bucket, remove and a minute later no one knows he was ever there.  Overrated, slow, soft, unintelligent, baby

I think you'll see you're wrong as he develops over the next few years.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2019, 03:41:34 PM »
It says nothing about the conference.  The administration at St. John's has been in disarray for the better part of the last decade.

This was well known behind the scenes but the coaching search has allowed the general public a peek at the mayhem.

more than that.  They haven't recovered mentally from the sanctions from the Jarvis era and the GC, Oliva, was the point man with the NCAA with the implementation of the sanctions and probation.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2019, 04:13:44 PM »
Anderson seems like a high floor, low ceiling hire to me. He's going to be good but I haven't seen anything from him to suggest he can elevate a program. I certainly would be disappointed if we hired a guy who Arkansas thought couldn't cut it.

That being said, I'm a true believer that coaches (like people in most occupations) improve over time. Maybe Anderson will show something at his next stop that we didn't see in his previous ones.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2019, 04:53:56 PM »
I think you'll see you're wrong as he develops over the next few years.

Big 10 would be good for him
Can guard guys that look like him
In BE he had to guard more athletic players and pouted n paniced becuase of it. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2019, 06:05:16 PM »
Why is it a good fit for recruiting?  He's from the south, never coached anywhere but the south, and has rarely (if ever) pulled from the northeast to those schools.  I get that he can learn and develop networks, and make a lot of in roads with the right assistants, but I don't see how it can be a "great fit."
The coach has won 369 college games. He has plenty of recruiting network and connections to get talent .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2019, 06:32:39 PM »
The coach has won 369 college games. He has plenty of recruiting network and connections to get talent .

Should have used those connections at Arkansas
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2019, 07:10:20 PM »
Should have used those connections at Arkansas
There are only 4 current college coaches who have at least 15 years of experience and no losing record. They are Tom Izzo, Roy Williams , Mark Few and  Mike Anderson .
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2019, 07:30:38 PM »
There are only 4 current college coaches who have at least 15 years of experience and no losing record. They are Tom Izzo, Roy Williams , Mark Few and  Mike Anderson .

Boheim, if you overlook the vacated wins
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2019, 08:20:06 PM »

Arkansas should have kept him
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2019, 08:23:58 PM »

He had a good run at Missouri and I seem to remember he chose to go ‘home’.  Arkansas is a tough place to win.  Seems actually better/less risky than some of the whiffs as long as they  get him a NYC wired assistant.

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2019, 08:45:46 PM »

Which doesn't really address his point.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TheTulsaWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2019, 09:35:06 PM »
I have some history with Mike Anderson and can tell you he's a keeper.  A Nolan Richardson disciple who has a history of cleaning up messes.  He knows how to run a clean program and win.  Anderson played and worked at Tulsa and went with Nolan to Arkansas (FYI, the U of A is closer to Tulsa than the University of Oklahoma is to Tulsa.)  He was Nolan's prime recruiter.  The Johnnies will play fast with intense defense and discipline.  He knows where the JUCO keepers are and should be able to hire assistants who have strong east coast connections.   

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2019, 10:49:57 PM »
Given the circumstance StJ found themselves -- turned down by their top, like, 200 choices -- they coulda done a lot, lot, lot worse than Mike Anderson.

Once he gets his players in there, that will not be an easy team to play.

(Of course, for us, Mullin's StJ team wasn't easy to play ... but that's beside the point!)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2019, 12:32:10 AM »
Which doesn't really address his point.
The point is the guy is a proven winner has down it at several programs . There is no such thing as being geographically challenged as a coach. Wojo has no ties to the state of Wisconsin and the upper Midwest and look at all the players he has been able to sign from the region.

Job one for him is to convince LJ Figueroa to stay. Looks like he is making good progress

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2019/04/19/mike-andersons-st-johns-introduction-included-two-important-guests/amp/
            ---Al McGuire

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2019, 06:36:13 AM »
The point is that there is reason to suggest that he isn't the coach he used to be.  People keep bringing up UAB and Mizzou but his Arkansas teams wouldn't really the same as those team were.  But MU82 is right.  They could have done worse.  But I just think hiring a recently fired head coach whose peak was 10 years ago is probably not the best way to approach a coaching search. 

This isn't nearly as bad as Pitt hiring Stallings but it certainly is similar.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2019, 01:54:26 PM »

This is actually one of my least concerns. As good as our three-point shooting has been, I think we've also come to depend on it too much. When we're not hitting from beyond the arc, the entire offense becomes stagnant. A more balanced offense should be less predictable, harder to game-plan for and more consistent. And greater quickness on defense could lead to more steals and high-percentage scoring opportunities in transition.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2019, 10:39:27 PM »
This is actually one of my least concerns. As good as our three-point shooting has been, I think we've also come to depend on it too much. When we're not hitting from beyond the arc, the entire offense becomes stagnant. A more balanced offense should be less predictable, harder to game-plan for and more consistent. And greater quickness on defense could lead to more steals and high-percentage scoring opportunities in transition.

Yes, we all but stopped scoring in transition this season, and it was very noticeable in the games when the 3s weren't falling. We didn't create many live-ball turnovers.

However, you need to be able to hit 3s in today's college basketball. Today's NBA and HS basketball too. That's doubly true if your team is small and if the few bigs you have aren't great around the rim, which seems as though will be our situation next season.

So while I do agree with you to a point, I also agree with brewski.

There were a few years there -- Buzz's last and the first 2 under Wojo -- where we would "lose" the 3-point contest 27-9 or 33-12. Very tough to win when that happens. Buzz's earlier teams could do it because they had some great talent, played fine defense, and the 3 wasn't quite as featured as now. But in general you can't go into every game knowing you're gonna lose the 3-point war by 21 or 30 points.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2019, 11:33:15 AM »

And know won has an extinguisher, aina?

« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 11:37:31 AM by Jon »