[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: The 2014 hiring of Wojo has indelibly marred the reputation of this program...  (Read 26049 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Wojo is toast, one way or another.
I agree with this analysis
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Class71

• All American
I'll just say what I say to all Wojo detractors, "Replace Wojo with whom, exactly?

Wojo isn't going anywhere. I get he's the leader of the ship, but you can't control every decision by others.

There are great coaches out there. The question is why do we settle for unproven assistant coaches? St. John`s at least tried. We seem to assume we are 3rd tier and can not recruit the best or just below. Look at  Witchita State, South Carolina, any Hurley to start. Then try Nate Oats, Steve Forbes, Nathan Davis. Don't like any of them create your  own list.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

MU82

• All American
There are great coaches out there. The question is why do we settle for unproven assistant coaches? St. John`s at least tried. We seem to assume we are 3rd tier and can not recruit the best or just below. Look at  Witchita State, South Carolina, any Hurley to start. Then try Nate Oats, Steve Forbes, Nathan Davis. Don't like any of them create your  own list.

We tried last time. Mrs. Shaka didn't like Milwaukee. Howland was a retread with some skeletons in his closet. Cuonzo just wanted a 2-3 year springboard to something else. All proven head coaches.

No doubt we would try next time. Hopefully with an even better group. But if we "settle" for somebody with, say, only 1 year of mid-major coaching experience, he would be bashed here on Scoop ... even if that somebody was the next Chris Beard.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Class71

• All American
We tried last time. Mrs. Shaka didn't like Milwaukee. Howland was a retread with some skeletons in his closet. Cuonzo just wanted a 2-3 year springboard to something else. All proven head coaches.

No doubt we would try next time. Hopefully with an even better group. But if we "settle" for somebody with, say, only 1 year of mid-major coaching experience, he would be bashed here on Scoop ... even if that somebody was the next Chris Beard.

You highlight the problem. Why do we fail at recruiting a good coach while other non blue blood schools can? Address that issue first and we are on our way.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

MU82

• All American
You highlight the problem. Why do we fail at recruiting a good coach while other non blue blood schools can? Address that issue first and we are on our way.

We "failed" at Shaka because Mrs. Shaka didn't want to go to Milwaukee. We "failed" at Howland and Martin because we didn't want them.

Who were some of the "good coaches" who went to non-blueblood schools that we should have gotten instead of Wojo? Address that issue first, and we are on our way.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda

Has Marquette failed more than most programs?  Tom Crean was a good hire.  Buzz Williams was.  Kevin O'Neill was.  Mike Deanne was not.  Wojo get's an "incomplete."

So of the last five coaches we hired, three of them were good and one is still on the job.  I think at first glance that looks pretty good!  The problem is that we can't get any of the good ones to stay because they don't view Marquette as a destination. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Norm

• All American

Has Marquette failed more than most programs?  Tom Crean was a good hire.  Buzz Williams was.  Kevin O'Neill was.  Mike Deanne was not.  Wojo get's an "incomplete."

So of the last five coaches we hired, three of them were good and one is still on the job.  I think at first glance that looks pretty good!  The problem is that we can't get any of the good ones to stay because they don't view Marquette as a destination.

For all the crap Deane gets here, his first 4 years were pretty fun to follow as a fan. Won a conference tournament, went to the NIT final game, two NCAA tournaments, 100 wins, upsets and rivalries against Cincinnati, Louisville, Memphis, St. Louis. He had one losing season and was let go. MU moved on and got Crean, Wade and a Final Four three years later. Right move at the time to let him go, but I wouldn't say Deane was a bad hire when he was hired. Anyone remember who else was in the mix then?

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
Mike Deane won because he had Kevin O'Neill's players.His recruiting sucked.That is why he got fired

BrewCity83

• All American
Mike Deane won because he had Kevin O'Neill's players.His recruiting sucked.That is why he got fired

His recruiting sucked, and he stated that he believed that his recruiting would continue to suck.  He didn't believe that it was possible to get big-time recruits to come to Marquette.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Windyplayer

• All American
Novel concept but perhaps we support Wojo through this difficult period and hope he comes out of it a better coach. Loyalty is a two-way street.

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
Change my mind

Ahh, another moment at which I so treasure the npr story on dropping comments because only 0.003 percent of readers comment. There is no point in trying to change the mind of someone far gone enough to post this, you are one who will never realize the tiny percentage of fans who will ever read your silly post.

Hopefully you can return to the reputation you speak of - I assume you mean Marquette's 2 Sweet 16s in a 31 years stretch.

Alas, I can't find the old letterman tape from one of his first shows when he told a guest he had the significant of a "microscopic amoeba." A link to that would be so fitting in moments like this.
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

jesmu84

• All American
Novel concept but perhaps we support Wojo through this difficult period and hope he comes out of it a better coach. Loyalty is a two-way street.

This is a good post.

WarriorFan

• All American
Bring back KO.  I think he's got a few good years left.  Most honest guy out there.  How could that be anything other than true to the mission?  So he drops a few too many f-bombs... don't we all?

In fact I don't really care who the coach is... as long as the product on the court is high quality and entertaining and the program doesn't compromise its own future by cheating.

But KO was fun...
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Galway Eagle

• All American
Bring back KO.  I think he's got a few good years left.  Most honest guy out there.  How could that be anything other than true to the mission?  So he drops a few too many f-bombs... don't we all?

In fact I don't really care who the coach is... as long as the product on the court is high quality and entertaining and the program doesn't compromise its own future by cheating.

But KO was fun...

KO would truly be a terrible hire. Since his Sweet 16 at MU he made the NCAA twice and NIT twice in 11yrs of coaching plus flamed out in the NBA. He'd be a good guy to get as a mentor or even assistant to get Wojo to change some things but not as head coach
Maigh Eo for Sam

WarriorDad

• All American
Wojo is toast, one way or another.

We are all toast, one way or another.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Class71

• All American
We "failed" at Shaka because Mrs. Shaka didn't want to go to Milwaukee. We "failed" at Howland and Martin because we didn't want them.

Who were some of the "good coaches" who went to non-blueblood schools that we should have gotten instead of Wojo? Address that issue first, and we are on our way.

You must be correct that we got the best. Have a good Easter.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
I see people now get to change what the word indelibly means. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

NCMUFan

• All American
Does this mean we can't drink Kool-Aid anymore?

tower912

• All American
Those that chose to stay certainly seem to be harboring serious anger issues toward the coaching staff.       Players leave.   Amazingly, in an almost unprecedented fashion, many choose to side with those leaving, who may or may not have initiated a player revolt via means that no coach could acquiesce to, inevitably harming team chemistry on a then 23-6 team, who essentially gave the coach an ultimatum, the BEPOY or us.     I am not and have not defended Wojo during this.  However, I cannot believe how many people here are willing to play student manager to the Hausers Buzz and flush their crap for them.   What they did (if there was a letter) is something I have never heard of at this level.     They are not saints in this matter.    They (may or may not have) knowingly and willingly attacked the coach and the best player on a then top 20 team and then left when there demands were not met.   

Please, I am begging, cite examples where (A) a coach gave in, (B) it worked, (C) the fanbase took the side of those who left.   

I choose to cheer for those who stayed at my alma mater.    I don't think that Wojo is blameless or a great coach.    But I admire his restraint.   And I admire the Hausers for hedging their bets.    If it had just been signed by the two of them, Wojo should have thrown their butts off the team.    By (maybe or maybe not) getting everyone else to sign, it provided them cover.     But there is no way, once that course of action was (maybe or maybe not) chosen, that it could possibly have made things better.       
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
I agree with your entire post, Tower.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Sean Miller on tape and being under investigation by the FBI at Arizona
Will Wade having to sit out the NCAA tourney because of being on tape offering money for a recruit at LSU
Izzo being accused of covering up sexual assaults and tied to Nassar at MSU
Buzz getting involved to squelch a rape investigation at MU
Creighton's assistant offering "not just a job, but a lucrative job" to a recruit's parent
Louisville and all of the fun they had
Dana Altman knowingly bringing in not one but two individuals accused of sexual assault (one kicked out of his previous institution who then was involved in an alleged gang rape at UO) at Oregon
MU hiring Wojo

7 of those things "indelibly marred the reputation" of their programs. One did not. 

Step back from the lefge
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

burger

• All American
I put it at 1 in 3 Porter Moser is our coach by this time next year.....

Rick Majerus tree.....Final 4......Devout Catholic.....Midwest want to stay roots.....

Just my guess......

Won't easily be swayed somewhere else.....

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
I put it at 1 in 3 Porter Moser is our coach by this time next year.....

Rick Majerus tree.....Final 4......Devout Catholic.....Midwest want to stay roots.....

Just my guess......

Won't easily be swayed somewhere else.....

Cool, so we can be Slu-like. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
The Porter Moser love fascinates me.  The ultimate one hit wonder.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wojowood

• Walk-On
I take those odds, how much you want to bet