collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Caddy/Golf Course Encounters Thread  (Read 1625 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Caddy/Golf Course Encounters Thread
« on: April 15, 2019, 11:59:49 AM »
I figured this deserved it's own thread, a lot of good stories in the Masters thread, and Tower made a good call that this should have it's own thread.

To recap my stories:

-Phil tipped me a hundo when I caddied for him at the 99 Western Pro AM. I have a yardage book with an autograph from him as well. This was pre smart phones, so unfortunately no pic, and I had no idea until I got to Cog Hill that I'd be caddying for him. Carrying a camera back then would have been awkward.

-Tony Jacklin was an ass when I was in his foursome (on a bag of an AM). He was constantly yelling at the caddies that round at the Ameritech Sr Open at Kemper.

-Dale Tallon was great, I was on his bag, he tipped well, and the rest of the foursome asked stories about the NHL, and he obliged. I remember someone asking him what the least favorite city of NHL players was and before the other guy's sentence ended, Tallon said "Buffalo, hands down". This was when Dale was still a broadcaster.

-Gene Keady was a friendly guy, didn't say too much, but was nice enough. He was a guest at St. Charles CC that day, and his host member tipped.

Love the stories you guys/gals have, keep em coming.

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: Caddy/Golf Course Encounters Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 12:35:21 PM »
Several other memorable stories from walking with Nicklaus during his practice round at Canterbury in 96.

• Throughout much of his practice round he walked in the trees along the right side of the fairway and moved small twigs and branches that were laying on the ground right up against the trunks of the trees.  He wanted to to decrease the likelihood that his ball would come to rest against a branch or twig during the tournament that he might not be able to remove without causing his ball to move.  It was interesting to see such a great golfer actively manipulating the course during a practice round to help him during the round the following day(s).
  • At one point, Nicklaus was off in the aforementioned trees on the right side of the fair way.  I saw him approach the ball and couldn't imagine how he was going to get the ball through the tree trunks that seemed to be blocking his way out.  I figured he'd have to punch it out perpendicular to the fairway.  Then he looked up, spotted a hole in foliage way up high in the trees, and proceeded to hit the ball through it.  It was an amazing shot (to me) and made me realize that these guys play in 3D in a way that I never could.
  • During the whole round, Nicklaus only signed autographs between the green and the next tee box -- for pretty obvious reasons.  At one point, after he had entered the roped-off area at the next tee box, a little kid -- maybe seven or eight years old -- approached him and asked for an autograph.  Jack politely bent down and nicely told the kid that he doesn't sign once inside the rope, but that if he caught him after after the next green he would sign his autograph.  As soon as the words came out of Jack's mouth, the kid took off running down the fairway toward the next green.  Jack turned to the kid's father and said, "sorry...I didn't mean for that to happen."  As you'd expect, after Jack putted on the next green he scanned to gallery to find the kid and sign for him.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

cinbog

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 12:45:51 PM »
Had a member and guest in a twosome. Once  he learns I went to MU, guest becomes very interested in MU bball. On about the eighth hole I asked why the keen interest in college bball. Turns out it was Rich Falk, NU head coach at the time. I only knew that because he told me. Next ten holes were rather quiet. He stiffed me.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 12:48:28 PM »
Played golf with Kix Brooks once before Country USA. He just walked up to our group and asked if he could tag along for the last few holes. I was 17. Really nice guy.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 12:49:58 PM »
My MU roommate caddied regularly for Bill Murray in high school

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 01:02:14 PM »
Best friend caddied for Chris Chelios in 1990.  After the round, Chelios handed him two, $20 bills, (perfectly acceptable at the time). 

As a "thank you" to Chelios, the caddy took a towel out of Chelios' bag to wipe down his club, without realizing a flip-phone was wrapped in the towel. 

The phone hit the cart path, broke in half, and Chelios asked for one of the $20's back.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 01:07:48 PM »
I forgot to mention I was on a bag of an AM in Dave Stockton's group once, incredibly nice guy.

One story I heard that I believe to be 100% true was from a guy I regularly caddied for who had played in a Pro AM with Lanny Wadkins. This had to be well over 25 years ago, but the guy I caddied for was invited to play in a Pro AM before a tour event, and he and his work buddies drew Wadkins as their pro for the day. Before the round started, Wadkins went up to the four guys and said "I'm here to work, don't ask me for any tips, don't talk to me, leave me the eff alone". Their group ended up playing really well, and going into 18, they were on the verge of putting up a low score. One of the AM's ended up sticking a 6 iron on 18 to within 5 feet for a birdie attempt on 18. As the guy was lining up the putt on 18, Lanny came up to him and said "you know if you make this, I'm in position to make some money here". The guy lined up his putt, and intentionally tanked the putt into the water nearby off the 18th green. Guy turned around after the putt and said "Eff you Lanny".

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 02:09:35 PM »
I forgot to mention I was on a bag of an AM in Dave Stockton's group once, incredibly nice guy.

One story I heard that I believe to be 100% true was from a guy I regularly caddied for who had played in a Pro AM with Lanny Wadkins. This had to be well over 25 years ago, but the guy I caddied for was invited to play in a Pro AM before a tour event, and he and his work buddies drew Wadkins as their pro for the day. Before the round started, Wadkins went up to the four guys and said "I'm here to work, don't ask me for any tips, don't talk to me, leave me the eff alone". Their group ended up playing really well, and going into 18, they were on the verge of putting up a low score. One of the AM's ended up sticking a 6 iron on 18 to within 5 feet for a birdie attempt on 18. As the guy was lining up the putt on 18, Lanny came up to him and said "you know if you make this, I'm in position to make some money here". The guy lined up his putt, and intentionally tanked the putt into the water nearby off the 18th green. Guy turned around after the putt and said "Eff you Lanny".

It is possible Lanny is not all that nice a guy. Summer of '82, I was 2L summer clerking in a big Dallas law firm. Wanting to wine dine and treat  "summer associates"  to great experiences ...two of us were invited to witness/sign on Lanny Wadkins will. We two clerks were sheepishly embarrassed. Both of us had our hands out for a greeting handshake, smiling....Lanny held up his hands away from us,  made no eye contact or even a smile, and....said "gotta save my hands for the course, boys".

WTF ....Lanny you are not a brain surgeon needing to worry about your hands here. He left me with the impression of being a self absorbed jerk, that day.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 03:49:21 PM »
My MU roommate caddied regularly for Bill Murray in high school

Are those ridiculous Bill Murray stories that pop up from time to time true? Some of my favorite urban legends.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 04:19:08 PM »
As far as I know...yes

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 08:20:54 PM »
There’s a great Netflix show on the legitimacy of the Bill Murray stories.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 09:10:46 PM »
My company had an event  for customers and had Johnny Bench, Tom Watson and Tony Dorsett involved.  Everyone got to play a hole with each of them.

Johnny Bench was great.  Very approachable, friendly, did his time and disappeared.

Tony Dorsett looked much the worse for wear and was not much to be around.

Tom Watson had a strict "no autographs" clause in his appearance contract, but came in the clubhouse after the round, set up a table himself, and signed everything everyone asked for over an hour afterwards.  What a fantastic guy. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2019, 07:24:10 AM »
I caddied at Birmingham Country Club outside Detroit where Darren McCarttey was a member. After the Wings won the Cup in 2002 and he had his day with it he brought it to the club. The guy I was looping for that day knew him so they started talking and he allowed me to hoist it. It was my summer going into freshman year of high school so it was pretty cool
Bring back FFP!!!