[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Goodbye McCormick Hall......New "hotel"/dorm ideas....  (Read 42105 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: Goodbye McCormick Hall......New "hotel"/dorm ideas....
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2019, 07:23:13 AM »
Of course those are all ridiculous Rocket.  Two things: 1) My kids had skin in the game so they would understand how much this costs and to take it seriously. 2) I had skin in the game and knew exactly what they were studying and what their grades were.  Problem solved.

connie

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2019, 07:39:43 AM »
Anyone who has to take out $200k in loans to attend Marquette should probably not be attending Marquette.
While I agree 200k for a undergrad degree is ridiculous, this really reeks of elitism.  The op has some really good points buried in his manifesto.  I loved my time at MU, but to think that *general* experience can't be replicated somewhere else is simply ignorant.  My loans were a total pita, but I could manage.  Imagine a dentist with undergrad and dental school loans looking at a 55-60k/yr starting salary.  The math just stops working at some point.  You don't care about this, I guess, because they can go somewhere else.  Problem is that they will, and so will many others.  Pretty soon the number that can or will spend what MU requires are gone, because the value just isn't there for the shrinking pool of applicants.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

duanewade

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2019, 08:33:25 AM »
This video should be mandatory viewing for every parent and high school senior before signing on the dotted line. 

The college experience is amazing and fun and most of us view it as the best four years of our life.  However just don't oversell it's value and by all means stop overcharging for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXpwAOHJsxg

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2019, 08:41:31 AM »
I love how anecdotal 'documentaries' cite statistics.   ::)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2019, 10:11:56 AM »
I love how anecdotal 'documentaries' cite statistics.   ::)

quoted for truth.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2019, 10:52:52 AM »
lol, people that watch Jaywalking videos for truth.

cough*filmediting*cough

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2019, 11:18:42 AM »
This video should be mandatory viewing for every parent and high school senior before signing on the dotted line. 

The college experience is amazing and fun and most of us view it as the best four years of our life.  However just don't oversell it's value and by all means stop overcharging for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXpwAOHJsxg
All the women interviewing were very Bu)$:/ty. I think things will work out in the long run for them.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2019, 12:07:55 PM »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2019, 12:58:40 PM »
With all due respect rocket you seem to be focusing on a very specific range here. Why didn't you post anything when people talk about taking basketball studies? Heck my dad who is an accountant and lawyer took PE and Golf courses at northern Illinois. Those had nothing to do with his career and weren't going to help in the real world. This is nothing new only the titles are getting crazier because the professors want to sell students on taking the course

My old man also went to Northern and became a lawyer. Go Huskies

*fist bump*
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2019, 03:33:00 PM »
With all due respect rocket you seem to be focusing on a very specific range here. Why didn't you post anything when people talk about taking basketball studies? Heck my dad who is an accountant and lawyer took PE and Golf courses at northern Illinois. Those had nothing to do with his career and weren't going to help in the real world. This is nothing new only the titles are getting crazier because the professors want to sell students on taking the course

fair enough eagle, but without knowing when and where your dad went to school, the tuition costs per credit may not be as relative, but i stand corrected.  i took what's his name's opera course for an elective and a little respite from the biochems and organic bios of my world.  easy "A" if ya wrote a paper, "B" if ya showed up.  one could also argue that opera.  but majors in "fill in the blanks" studies are only in demand by those who try to create the demand.  tough to pay the bills with one of those in comparison to accountants, lawyers and ahemmm, dentists
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2019, 03:37:31 PM »
Of course those are all ridiculous Rocket.  Two things: 1) My kids had skin in the game so they would understand how much this costs and to take it seriously. 2) I had skin in the game and knew exactly what they were studying and what their grades were.  Problem solved.

being a "helicopter parent" ain't all that bad after all.  problem partially solved.  not all kids parents know how to fly, eyn'a?

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2019, 04:27:59 PM »
But I like to throw handfuls...

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2019, 08:00:34 AM »
being a "helicopter parent" ain't all that bad after all.  problem partially solved.  not all kids parents know how to fly, eyn'a?

It's an interesting fine line.  We limited it to knowing what classes they were taking and what their grades were.  I had no idea what nights they hit Caf's or when they came home.  I sh*t you not, there was a mom who was just ranting on the FB Parents page last week that Commons didn't have bacon for a few days as they rotated breakfast meat offerings! O-M-G!   :o

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2019, 11:21:32 AM »
fair enough eagle, but without knowing when and where your dad went to school, the tuition costs per credit may not be as relative, but i stand corrected.  i took what's his name's opera course for an elective and a little respite from the biochems and organic bios of my world.  easy "A" if ya wrote a paper, "B" if ya showed up.  one could also argue that opera.  but majors in "fill in the blanks" studies are only in demand by those who try to create the demand.  tough to pay the bills with one of those in comparison to accountants, lawyers and ahemmm, dentists

Guess you don't know too many lawyers.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2019, 12:56:36 PM »

I was a PLC at MU which meant two summers were spent getting screwed with by DIs at Quantico, VA. During the first increment, my parents visited on a Sunday. Visits were not normal but my dad was a two star so I got pulled out of the routine for a 30 minute meeting.

While my mom went on and on about the stuff mom's go on about my dad sat silent. When he finally said something it was to tell me he had gotten me a job working construction in Arlington for the balance of the summer.

My plan had been to laze about until i headed back to MU after 6.5 weeks of pure sh1t. I pointed out to the Old Boy that I was training to be a fighter pilot in the Marine Corps and he was more focused on me digging ditches for two months.   

His only reply was that I wasn't a fighter pilot yet and if I was staying at his house that summer I was digging ditches in Arlington.     

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2019, 12:59:12 PM »
i took what's his name's opera course for an elective and a little respite from the biochems and organic bios of my world.  easy "A" if ya wrote a paper, "B" if ya showed up.  one could also argue that opera.

Horton Roe. Brother Horton Roe.

source?

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2019, 03:54:48 PM »
While I agree 200k for a undergrad degree is ridiculous, this really reeks of elitism.  The op has some really good points buried in his manifesto.  I loved my time at MU, but to think that *general* experience can't be replicated somewhere else is simply ignorant.  My loans were a total pita, but I could manage.  Imagine a dentist with undergrad and dental school loans looking at a 55-60k/yr starting salary.  The math just stops working at some point.  You don't care about this, I guess, because they can go somewhere else.  Problem is that they will, and so will many others.  Pretty soon the number that can or will spend what MU requires are gone, because the value just isn't there for the shrinking pool of applicants.

For a person to accumulate $200k in student loans at MU it means they are paying sticker and taking out loans for 100% of their education. This means that first, their parents made too much money for them to qualify for federal grants. Then, their parents didn't save for the child's education (not the kid's fault, but needs to be taken into account). Additionally, the kid didn't do well enough in high school and the SAT/ACTs to qualify for any academic based scholarships, partial or otherwise. They also didn't qualify for any work studies, or athletic scholarships. They further aren't willing or able to offset any part of the cost by working part time or summers. Yes, that person should not attend MU.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2019, 04:08:41 PM »
I mean is college worth it at all?? I never went to college and I do just fine. I'm not wealthy by any stretch, but I didn't need a college degree to get to where i am. Hard work, dependability and experience can go a long ways.

If I'm an HR manager and I have two applicants for a position and one is a 35 year old with 10+ years in the same field and has proven to be super dependable in his career, and the other is fresh out of college with a shiny new degree in the same field..I'm taking the experience and dependability every single time.

“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

source?

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2019, 04:36:32 PM »
I mean is college worth it at all?? I never went to college and I do just fine. I'm not wealthy by any stretch, but I didn't need a college degree to get to where i am. Hard work, dependability and experience can go a long ways.

If I'm an HR manager and I have two applicants for a position and one is a 35 year old with 10+ years in the same field and has proven to be super dependable in his career, and the other is fresh out of college with a shiny new degree in the same field..I'm taking the experience and dependability every single time.

Those aren't the people interviewing for that job. It's a 22 year old with a related degree vs an 18 year old with no experience or a 22 year old with three years as a McDonald's employee and 1 year as a McDonald's manager.

TheREALwrk

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2019, 04:38:59 PM »
Many will look at duane's post and discredit it and that's on you.  There is a lot of truth in that post if you want to drop your guard and admit it.  50K tuition per year?  200K for a 4 year degree?  Insane.  If you don't believe the insurance part of duane's post, I lived that in the 90's.

That said, I am glad Marcus is back, but I am hoping for a stronger team concept at the end of games or when closing out games.  I am hoping the guys don't transfer and I am hoping that Wojo didn't just look good in what turned out to be a bad Big East this year.

With the way this team is constructed today, who is coming back, who is done playing, who we have coming in, and provided there are no defections or major injuries, the minimum expectation should be S16.  They should also win their conference and win at least 2 games in the BET as well.  They meet expectations if they lose in the S16, the season is a success if they get beyond that.

MarKus*... You should have spent more money on school.

TheREALwrk

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2019, 04:39:17 PM »
What the hell is this post about by the way?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2019, 05:16:47 PM »
Guess you don't know too many lawyers.

actually more than i care to admit-there's probably 6 between my wife's and my family including a retired judge.  then there's the acquaintances i got to know tending bar at hegarty's...so ya guessed wrong, but that's ok

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2019, 05:18:04 PM »
Horton Roe. Brother Horton Roe.

hey!  thanks for that jonny!  now that's an opera lovin dudes name right there, eyn'a?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2019, 05:22:47 PM »
Those aren't the people interviewing for that job. It's a 22 year old with a related degree vs an 18 year old with no experience or a 22 year old with three years as a McDonald's employee and 1 year as a McDonald's manager.

In that scenario, I'm not hiring any of them...I can't trust a 22 year old to show up for work every day, and I sure as hell can't trust an 18 year old to either.

And you don't know that. Maybe this is a good paying job(which is what I was referring too), and the 35 yr old has a chance to make more money than he is now. I'm not hiring a 22 year old fresh out of college for a high paying job, that I need dependability from that person. I'm just not.

I will 100% guarantee you that 35 year old with 10+ years of experience in that field and no degree, will do a MUCH better job than a 22 year old fresh out of college with his shiny piece of paper. Experience to me, matters a lot, and it should to every employer.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 05:26:15 PM by muguru »
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

source?

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2019, 05:38:11 PM »
In that scenario, I'm not hiring any of them...I can't trust a 22 year old to show up for work every day, and I sure as hell can't trust an 18 year old to either.

And you don't know that. Maybe this is a good paying job(which is what I was referring too), and the 35 yr old has a chance to make more money than he is now. I'm not hiring a 22 year old fresh out of college for a high paying job, that I need dependability from that person. I'm just not.

I will 100% guarantee you that 35 year old with 10+ years of experience in that field and no degree, will do a MUCH better job than a 22 year old fresh out of college with his shiny piece of paper. Experience to me, matters a lot, and it should to every employer.

A 22 year old fresh out of college does not apply for a job where he will be competing with 35 year olds with 10 years of experience. To do so is wasting your and the interviewers time. So, once again, that's  not the applicant pool the 22 year old is competing with.