Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Great Photos In Marquette Basketball History  (Read 13366 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Great Photos In Marquette Basketball History
« on: April 10, 2019, 11:39:29 AM »
Just a thread of some of your favorite basketball images throughout the years.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
Re: Great Photos In Marquette Basketball History
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 11:47:45 AM »

« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 11:51:44 AM by TallTitan34 »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 11:55:02 AM »
Always been partial to this one. Still haven't seen a replay of this dunk since being in the BC that night.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 11:56:22 AM »

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 11:58:56 AM »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 12:02:23 PM »
Diener and Wade look 12 years old

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 12:18:49 PM »

Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 12:20:48 PM »

Hey, I can actually see me and Glow in this picture!
Have some patience, FFS.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 12:36:29 PM »
This photo is very special to me. It is framed and sealed, so please excuse the attachment quality.

The original is one of a kind. Back in the days of thermofax this wire photo was rescued off the machine by my brother who was then working at a Fort Wayne Indiana TV station. Why is it special? It was never republished, yet it is proof (possibly the only remaining proof) of the key moment of the MU NCAA Championship.

It remains the only photo to capture both the ball already away from Jerome Whithead's hand AND the scoreboard still showing :01 ...ie our seminfinal win in 1977 was on a legal timely shot.

My Bro covered Al McGuire at a function a few months later, and got Al to sign it "1977 Al McGuire" He then gave it to me as one my best presents ever, ...Bro described that when Al saw this he went silent,... studied the photo for a moment....then looked up with his wide grin and said, "I guess this proves it"

Yes...this proves it.

Addendum: On my save file the photo is upright. I cant seem to cure this. If one opens it in photo view it can be rotated to make sense. Again sorry
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 04:46:23 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 12:42:27 PM »
This photo is very special to me. It is framed and sealed, so please excuse the attachment quality.

The original is one of a kind. Back in the days of thermofax this wire photo was rescued off the machine by my brother who was then working at a Fort Wayne Indiana TV station. Why is it special? It was never republished, yet it is proof (possibly the only remaining proof) of the key moment of the MU NCAA Championship.

It remains the only photo to capture both the ball already away from Jerome Whithead's hand AND the scoreboard still showing :01 ...ie our seminfinal win in 1977 was on a legal timely shot.

My Bro covered Al McGuire at a function a few months later, and got Al to sign it "1977 Al McGuire" He then gave it to me as one my best presents ever, ...Bro described that when Al saw this he went silent,... studied the photo for a moment....then looked up with his wide grin and said, "I guess this proves it"

Yes...this proves it.

Ok, you win the thread. Let's shut it down!

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 12:46:13 PM »
The best of all was Al and old man Hughes. That photo captured the essence of what Marquette was back then -- and hopefully still is.

That said, I admit I love the one with Markus Howard and the student doing selfies. There's something real about that and something that shows the link between our team and our fans.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2019, 12:56:16 PM »
The best of all was Al and old man Hughes. That photo captured the essence of what Marquette was back then -- and hopefully still is.

That said, I admit I love the one with Markus Howard and the student doing selfies. There's something real about that and something that shows the link between our team and our fans.

Yea that one with Markus and the fans is nice.  I like the fact that the entire team took the time to walk around with the fans after big wins.  It's also funny that we're talking about the good relationship between Markus and the fanbase in one thread, and talking about how he can't dribble or pass and has no professional future in another.  Truly the epitome of the scoop.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2019, 01:13:20 PM »

Yes...this proves it.

Addendum: On my save file the photo is upright. I cant seem to cure this. If one opens it in photo view it can be rotated to make sense. Again sorry

This is awesome!

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2019, 01:17:52 PM »
Marquette needs more Freeway.   

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2019, 01:51:10 PM »

These are my two favorites too.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Slim

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2019, 02:38:34 PM »
The very first photo in this thread is Michael Wilson standing on the rim. It is after the Doc game winner against ND (sucks).

I know because I helped lift him up there - and then drunkenly took his shoe. My contribution to Marquette lore.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2019, 03:12:52 PM »
Yea that one with Markus and the fans is nice.  I like the fact that the entire team took the time to walk around with the fans after big wins.  It's also funny that we're talking about the good relationship between Markus and the fanbase in one thread, and talking about how he can't dribble or pass and has no professional future in another.  Truly the epitome of the scoop.

I think Markus is a special person in many different ways. No matter what he does from here out, he'll be someone all of us at Marquette can point to with a special pride.

Whatever his limitations might -- or might not be -- he's been really great and I look forward to watching him lead our Warriors to next year's NatChamp. Like Jim, Luke, Bo and Butch, Glenn, Dwyane, the Amigos, Jae and Wes, Markus has been a joy to watch.

Last year is over. Let's look ahead!

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2019, 03:29:09 PM »
The future Doctor Lloyd.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 03:33:43 PM by oldwarrior81 »

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2019, 03:32:12 PM »
Behind the scene of the team photo.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2019, 03:37:00 PM »
The very first photo in this thread is Michael Wilson standing on the rim. It is after the Doc game winner against ND (sucks).

I know because I helped lift him up there - and then drunkenly took his shoe. My contribution to Marquette lore.

You beat me to it. It was Rivers' shot, but it's Wilson on the rim.

Question to the board that I should know how to answer but don't:

How the hell to you put an image on this site?
β€œIt’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2019, 03:56:57 PM »
This picture deserves special attention. 

Why, because I hate Bucky like many of you hate ND.  I will never tire of this picture/story.

February, 1974. Milwaukee Arena. Marquette coach Al McGuire leaps on top of the scorer's table and celebrates after Maurice Lucas hit a ridiculous last second jump shot to give the Warriors a one point victory over Wisconsin. In the stands almost directly opposite McGuire is Glenn Hughes, father of Kim and Kerry Hughes, Wisconsin's "Twin Towers of Power". Walking in the foreground is dejected Badger Coach, John Powless. Marquette went on to the NCAA tournament and finished second overall. Hank Raymond's reaction is priceless too.

Notice Mr. Hughes "salute" to Mr. McGuire.  Anytime you can get Bucky fans this upset, you have my utmost respect.

Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • βœ… Verified Member
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2019, 04:13:25 PM »

Yes...this proves it.

Here you go homie. Awesome story, and a great memory!

« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 04:19:00 PM by Skatastrophy »

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2019, 04:23:02 PM »
Thanks very much for the fix--the upright inserted pic looks great
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2019, 04:59:14 PM »
There is a picture of Dominic James blocking a Wisconsin shot like he is spiking a volleyball.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2019, 05:15:39 PM »
This picture deserves special attention. 

Why, because I hate Bucky like many of you hate ND.  I will never tire of this picture/story.

Notice Mr. Hughes "salute" to Mr. McGuire.  Anytime you can get Bucky fans this upset, you have my utmost respect.

They have actually used this photo on the Jumbotron at the BC with Mr. Hughes' finger Photoshopped out.
Have some patience, FFS.