[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: New MU Women’s Coach Megan Duffy  (Read 19547 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: New MU Women’s Coach Megan Duffy
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2019, 10:47:55 AM »
I've played hoops with Coach Duffy. When her shot went up we went back on defense, she was money. Great person, excellent basketball pedigree playing at ND and in the WNBA, and very knowledgable.  Home run hire for MU.  I hope she keeps Scott Merritt on staff.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

🏀

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2019, 11:09:49 AM »
Duffy, Kieger, whatever.  The big question is what happens to Scott Merritt!

I want Scott Merritt to become the Jerry Wainwright of women's college basketball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2019, 11:13:29 AM »
Can't we let people simply infer that?  I mean, even if there's no picture, it is pretty apparent that the new coach is indeed a woman.  After all, they use the pronoun "she" in the press release.

I don't think I am super sensitive about stuff like that, but that comment just smacks of "not bad for a girl!" or "We had several choices for head coach, buy we chose the one that's a lady!"

I agree with you completely, chickadee.

If they had promoted Merritt, would they have been trumpeting him as the first black person to have accomplished something?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2019, 11:14:03 AM »
I hope she keeps Scott Merritt on staff.

He gowne, hey?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2019, 11:19:57 AM »
Boy, I want to comment so bad...but I'm going to bite my tongue.It's just such a different world now days. it really saddens me.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2019, 11:23:55 AM »
Did she eat Real Chili during the interviewing process?

It looks like MU was well-prepared and had a short list. Scholl reached into his ND roots for this one.

You'd think they would feed a coaching candidate something better than Alpo dog food.

21rooster

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2019, 11:25:39 AM »
If you follow him on Twitter, you will know that President Lovell has placed a strong emphasis on women in leadership this year.  I think the intent of the comment is that to show that Marquette looked at the pool of young, successful coaches, and the university was able to hire the woman in the 20-win rookie group into a leadership position.  The statement highlights her qualifications (as one of just four candidates achieving 20 wins as a rookie), while also highlighting pride in putting that qualified female candidate in a leadership position. 

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2019, 11:30:12 AM »
Boy, I want to comment so bad...but I'm going to bite my tongue.It's just such a different world now days. it really saddens me.
Bite hard. And thank you.

Signed,
Everyone
No Finish Line

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2019, 11:37:07 AM »
Duffy played at Notre Dame right after ND won a national title with Niele Ivey as a player. McGraw’s success level at ND pre Ivey as a player, and pre Ivey as an assistant coach (12 years) is solid but much significantly less successful. Ivey would have been a dream hire for MU. But with the league the way it is and the budget the way it is, that is nothing short of a far fetched dream. Ivey can wait for a hand picked power 5 position or even more likely just keep staying at ND. Only 11 percent of women's college hoops head coaches are black, compared to 60% overall.  A qualified black assistant from a Top 25 program, and/or coach with head coaching success would have been nice. Marquette just isn’t a diverse place in some ways. For example, 5 years ago there were 662 black D 1 women's college soccer players. Even more now. Marquette has had very few if any that i can recall in their program.  Pretty head scratching to me.  But I digress. I do hope the best for MU women’s hoops.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2019, 12:38:04 PM »
I agree with you completely, chickadee.

If they had promoted Merritt, would they have been trumpeting him as the first black person to have accomplished something?

Maybe, but if he had similar credentials, would they have said "He was one of just four rookie head coaches in 2017-18 to collect at least 20 wins and the only African American to accomplish the feat"?
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2019, 01:46:17 PM »
Man, isn't it tax season or somethin', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2019, 03:40:30 PM »
Maybe, but if he had similar credentials, would they have said "He was one of just four rookie head coaches in 2017-18 to collect at least 20 wins and the only African American to accomplish the feat"?

I think not, but maybe.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2019, 03:45:59 PM »

I know. I'm bummed by the dismantling of the AAF as well.
Now what are we supposed to do on Sundays?

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2019, 03:54:48 PM »
next order of duty, check the eight incoming recruits.  Then some transfers from ND.

https://www.anonymouseagle.com/2018/11/27/18099228/marquette-golden-eagles-womens-basketball-2019-signings-recruits-williams-taylor-ayres-lougbo-king

Shemera Williams (SheBron) plays right down the street on 20th & State.  Very gifted player.

4-year career high school averages:   32.9 ppg, 10.4 reb, 8.4 ast, 5.7 steals

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2019, 03:58:09 PM »
I've played hoops with Coach Duffy. When her shot went up we went back on defense, she was money. Great person, excellent basketball pedigree playing at ND and in the WNBA, and very knowledgable.  Home run hire for MU.  I hope she keeps Scott Merritt on staff.

Very cool, how did you get the opportunity to do that? MU AD connections? ND AD connections?

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2019, 08:44:11 PM »
I went to the Press Conference this afternoon and was pleased to see a large turnout.  She said she had just met the returning players this afternoon and they were all in the front row.  One of those returning players is one of the 8 incoming frosh signed by Kieger - she's from Australia and enrolled at MU in January and was sitting on the bench with the team since January.

I'm sure she will be very busy contacting the recruits now and then working on assembling her staff.

One thing that made me happy at the Press Conference was hearing that they're working installing a Video Board at the Al for Volleyball and Women's Basketball - I've been hoping they'd get one for awhile (this came up because they said that's why the press conference was at the union and not at the Al).

I like the hire - I think she has a great coaching resume and here's hoping she does great things at Marquette...

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2019, 07:07:38 AM »
next order of duty, check the eight incoming recruits.  Then some transfers from ND.

It won't be any starters, all 5 ND starters were drafted into the WNBA draft, the first time that's ever happened.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2019, 08:09:05 AM »
I went to the Press Conference this afternoon and was pleased to see a large turnout.  She said she had just met the returning players this afternoon and they were all in the front row.  One of those returning players is one of the 8 incoming frosh signed by Kieger - she's from Australia and enrolled at MU in January and was sitting on the bench with the team since January.

I'm sure she will be very busy contacting the recruits now and then working on assembling her staff.

One thing that made me happy at the Press Conference was hearing that they're working installing a Video Board at the Al for Volleyball and Women's Basketball - I've been hoping they'd get one for awhile (this came up because they said that's why the press conference was at the union and not at the Al).

I like the hire - I think she has a great coaching resume and here's hoping she does great things at Marquette...

Big news.  That scoreboard had been horribly substandard.  Chick and I have talked about that for 2 years.  Glad it's happening.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2019, 08:11:59 AM »
Big news.  That scoreboard had been horribly substandard.  Chick and I have talked about that for 2 years.  Glad it's happening.

Oh, you 2 and your pillow talk.

Glad to hear there's still romance in your marriage!

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2019, 08:36:24 AM »
Oh, you 2 and your pillow talk.

Glad to hear there's still romance in your marriage!

Ha!  At Al games '82.

slack00

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2019, 08:38:47 AM »

https://www.anonymouseagle.com/2018/11/27/18099228/marquette-golden-eagles-womens-basketball-2019-signings-recruits-williams-taylor-ayres-lougbo-king

Shemera Williams (SheBron) plays right down the street on 20th & State.  Very gifted player.

4-year career high school averages:   32.9 ppg, 10.4 reb, 8.4 ast, 5.7 steals

She was really fun to watch at the state tournament.  I hope she still gives MU a shot because she'd have the keys to the team right away as a freshman and also a coach that almost assuredly isn't going anywhere in the next four years.  That said, I completely understand her decision to look around with Kieger moving on.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2019, 08:48:39 AM »
Wonder if Scholl's ND connections helped with this hire.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2019, 08:57:47 AM »
Wonder if Scholl's ND connections helped with this hire.

Helped?  I'm sure Duffy jumped at the opportunity.  That said, no doubt Scholl knew her quite well.  In fact, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Kieger gave her a recommendation. They're friends and Carolyn didn't leave on bad terms.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2019, 08:59:17 AM »
Ha!  At Al games '82.

There's a Jumbotron joke in here somewhere....
Have some patience, FFS.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2019, 09:04:57 AM »
Helped?  I'm sure Duffy jumped at the opportunity.  That said, no doubt Scholl knew her quite well.  In fact, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Kieger gave her a recommendation. They're friends and Carolyn didn't leave on bad terms.

I meant helped identify her as a potential replacement.  Didn't know about the Kieger connection though.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow