[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by PointWarrior
[Today at 12:08:31 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Thoughts on buzz’s move to a & m  (Read 4957 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: Thoughts on buzz’s move to a & m
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2019, 08:05:49 AM »
There was an interview once where Buzz was frothing about home crowds in the B12. Something tells me as much as he loves A&M hed still jump to Texas given the chance.

Texas basketball isn't much of a draw.  The only thing better about the University of Texas is that it's in Austin.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2019, 08:16:32 AM »
There was an interview once where Buzz was frothing about home crowds in the B12. Something tells me as much as he loves A&M hed still jump to Texas given the chance.

He is way more Aggie than Longhorn.  Texas fans don’t for that shtick like Aggie fans will.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2019, 08:26:59 AM »
I am shocked we haven't seen any adorable pics of Buzz cuddling Reveille yet.
Have some patience, FFS.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2019, 11:08:36 AM »
I am shocked we haven't seen any adorable pics of Buzz cuddling Reveille yet.
Just this one so far...

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2019, 12:33:27 PM »

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2019, 01:04:25 PM »
TAMU coaches do not move to UT and viceversa....its an Aggie Teasip thing
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2019, 12:29:49 PM »
Buzz has Kennedy's 4 recruits asking for release from their commitment and yet appears to already 4 other recruits lined up. Full credit here to Houston Chronicle:

Buzz Williams quickly putting his imprint on Texas A&M basketball program

Brent Zwerneman , Houston Chronicle April 15, 2019 Updated: April 15, 2019 4:19 p.m.

COLLEGE STATION — Buzz Williams has had a busy first couple of weeks at Texas A&M, both in subtracting and adding to the program he took over from Billy Kennedy.

Williams has added verbal pledges in the class of 2019 from guards Andre Gordon, Quenton Jackson, Cashius McNeilly and forward Yavuz Gultekin, according to 247Sports.com. If it seems odd to add this many recruits from the current year this late in the game – it is.

But Gordon and Gultekin had pledged to Virginia Tech and Williams, and have now switched to A&M with Williams leaving the Hokies for the Aggies earlier this month.

McNeilly is the nephew of assistant coach Jamie McNeilly, who likely is joining Williams from Virginia Tech (Jamie McNeilly already is posting A&M-related things to his Twitter page).

Cashius McNeilly is from Thornhill, Ontario, and apparently will try and be part of the class of 2019, although he originally was listed as class of 2020, according to 247Sports. He rates as a four-star prospect, while Gordon and Gultekin rate three stars. Jackson will be a transfer from College of Central Florida and currently does not have a ranking.

Kennedy had four signees in the class of 2019, but all four asked for their release from their letter of intent once he was fired last month. It remains to be seen whether any, including Houston Christian guard Sahvir Wheeler, rejoin the fold.
In addition, A&M guard Admon Gilder could return for a senior season, after he missed what was supposed to be his senior year with a blood clot in his arm that required surgery. Gilder is listed in the transfer portal, so where he winds up for 2019-20 is to be determined.

Finally, Williams is the lone coach/staff member listed on the A&M website, meaning he (at least right now) is not retaining anyone from Kennedy's staff. Regardless of the assistants and staff members around him, Williams will rely on TJ Starks, Savion Flagg, Josh Nebo, Wendell Mitchell and Jay Jay Chandler to provide the core of what's shaping up as a hefty rebuild under Williams.
The Aggies finished 14-18 last season and missed the NCAA Tournament for the sixth time in Kennedy's eight seasons.

Williams, a native Texan who'd previously served as an A&M assistant under Billy Gillispie, led Virginia Tech to a school-record three consecutive NCAA Tournaments, and the Hokies lost by two to Duke in the Sweet 16 of this year's NCAA Tournament.

Brent Zwerneman
Follow Brent on:
BrentZwerneman
Brent Zwerneman is a staff writer for the Houston Chronicle and chron.com covering Texas A&M athletics.

Texas A&M University System Board of Regents Chairman Charles Schwartz, left, joins athletic director Scott Woodward, new men's basketball coach Buzz Williams, second from right, and announcer Andrew Monaco in the Aggie War Hymn in College Station, Texas, Thursday, April 4, 2019. (Laura McKenzie/College Station Eagle via AP)
Photo: Laura McKenzie, Associated Press

« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 12:37:09 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.