Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Free Agent Tracker  (Read 29225 times)

94Warrior

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] Free Agent Tracker
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2019, 10:29:33 PM »
So he’s testing the NBA waters and is possibly SMU’s best player, but is a step down from Greg and Sacar. 
If that’s the case, Greg and Sacar must be first round picks!

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2019, 11:19:57 PM »
So he’s testing the NBA waters and is possibly SMU’s best player, but is a step down from Greg and Sacar. 
If that’s the case, Greg and Sacar must be first round picks!

He had no chance at the NBA. He is not SMU's best player. He may be 2nd or 3rd best on the team.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 11:25:50 PM by forgetful »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2019, 12:03:38 AM »
You watch a lot of Pony basketball forgetful?

I guess best player is a subjective term but I think a guy who is 3rd in points, 1st in rebounds (as a 6'3 guard), 1st in assists, 1st in steals, was considered the top perimeter defender, all with a nice low TO% of 10.7% has a pretty strong argument. This is all with him playing through a shoulder injury for a good chunk of the season which Whitt described as something that made him play one handed for part of the season.

Personally, I'd put him at least on par with Sacar, probably a little above and above anything we've seen from Greg so far.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2019, 06:54:40 AM »
You watch a lot of Pony basketball forgetful?

I guess best player is a subjective term but I think a guy who is 3rd in points, 1st in rebounds (as a 6'3 guard), 1st in assists, 1st in steals, was considered the top perimeter defender, all with a nice low TO% of 10.7% has a pretty strong argument. This is all with him playing through a shoulder injury for a good chunk of the season which Whitt described as something that made him play one handed for part of the season.

Personally, I'd put him at least on par with Sacar, probably a little above and above anything we've seen from Greg so far.

Don’t see a fit, either, but he’d have the potential to be pretty dynamic with Markus. Plus defender part intrigued me as well. Gives you lots of options defensively to really grind down opposing guards. 

Purely speculative, of course
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2019, 08:36:42 AM »
Don’t see a fit, either, but he’d have the potential to be pretty dynamic with Markus. Plus defender part intrigued me as well. Gives you lots of options defensively to really grind down opposing guards. 

Purely speculative, of course

Zio Rico

Spot on. He and Kobe could really punish the opponents defensively.

And he is a slasher/penetrator who has a keen eye for the open man. Considering the possible necessity to play two bigs at a time, this can open up Ed/Theo/Jayce for some really easy buckets as their defender slides to help.
Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2019, 08:59:39 AM »
Bring in a guy like Whitt and we're probably going to run a 4-out, 1-in, speed-em-up kinda game.  With depth, we could really push the pace.  Could be really entertaining.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2019, 12:44:52 PM »
He probably will not come here if he does not fit. However, why would people pass on him. He would be using a scholarship we are not using anyway. He has to be better than nothing.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2019, 12:47:09 PM »
He probably will not come here if he does not fit. However, why would people pass on him. He would be using a scholarship we are not using anyway. He has to be better than nothing.

Jeez, I don't know.  Markus, Sacar, Koby and Greg not to mention Akanno.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2019, 11:40:03 PM »
Rutgers Eugene Omoruyi (sp?) grad transferring.

Yes please.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2019, 05:23:53 AM »
Tevin Mack also grad transferring. Could be a nice piece in the wing rotation.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2019, 06:02:57 AM »
The team went through a high profile transfer of 2 players.  They now have 11 under scholarship with the chance Symir Torrence joins this fall.  You've gotten a couple guys to stay that were considering grad transferring and the last 2 posts are about grad transfers who would compete directly with those 2 returning players.

Pass. Stay at 11 and 12 if Torrence wants to come.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2019, 06:55:41 AM »

Yes please.

+10000000000
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2019, 06:57:41 AM »

Yes please.

from toronto, any chance of a koby connection?
Maigh Eo for Sam

muguru

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2019, 06:59:24 AM »
The team went through a high profile transfer of 2 players.  They now have 11 under scholarship with the chance Symir Torrence joins this fall.  You've gotten a couple guys to stay that were considering grad transferring and the last 2 posts are about grad transfers who would compete directly with those 2 returning players.

Pass. Stay at 11 and 12 if Torrence wants to come.

If the grad transfers are better players...You take them Ted. I know you're a HUGE chemistry guy, and I respect that, but at some point, you have to understand that talent trumps all else. You can have the "nicest" team in the country where everyone gets along great..but if they aren't very good at basketball, what does that get you?? I'm not saying that's the current MU team at all, it's just an example.

There's over 700 transfers every year now...it's the way it is in CBB whether we like it or not. If I can bring in someone that's better than someone I currently have on the roster, don't I owe it to my team as a Head Coach, to do that?? The first responsibility is to win.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2019, 07:24:37 AM »
Jeez, I don't know.  Markus, Sacar, Koby and Greg not to mention Akanno.

He said, “I’m fabulously rich...come on, just let’s go..”
She kind of bit her lip..”____, __ ____ ____”

This group of guards is armed with skill and determination....and Grace Too.

Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2019, 07:30:28 AM »
If the grad transfers are better players...You take them Ted. I know you're a HUGE chemistry guy, and I respect that, but at some point, you have to understand that talent trumps all else. You can have the "nicest" team in the country where everyone gets along great..but if they aren't very good at basketball, what does that get you?? I'm not saying that's the current MU team at all, it's just an example.

There's over 700 transfers every year now...it's the way it is in CBB whether we like it or not. If I can bring in someone that's better than someone I currently have on the roster, don't I owe it to my team as a Head Coach, to do that?? The first responsibility is to win.

Bullcrap.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2019, 07:59:41 AM »

Bullcrap.

I'm not the kind of guy who takes an all-or-nothing, black-or-white, I'm-right-and-everybody-else-is-wrong look at these kinds of things.

It is up to the coach to assess situations like these. Can he bring in a top player without crushing the team's morale? Can Player A take a challenge better than Player B can? Do I, as a coach, have the ability to keep all the key players reasonably happy?

Generally, I am in favor of upgrading the talent whenever possible. Always be recruiting. But I do value chemistry. Virginia and Texas Tech were both classic examples of teams whose chemistry levels meant more than the high school rankings of the players their coaches brought in.

If Wojo brought in one of the grad transfers we are discussing, I would trust his judgment. Chartouney aside, Wojo has had a pretty good record with these guys -- and JCS just wasn't very good at high-major basketball; he actually was a good chemistry guy by all accounts. Even before Wojo, guys who were brought in for just one year -- Rob Jackson, Lockett, Carlino, Reinhardt -- did pretty darn well at Marquette.

But if Wojo decides it's not worth the potential upset to chemistry, I would trust his judgment on that, too. Nobody knows the inner workings of this team better than he and his assistants do.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2019, 08:22:31 AM »

Yes please.

Played at Orangeville Prep with Khalif Young.   IIRC, Marquette had some interest in Omoruyi coming out of prep school. 

A name worth monitoring.  We'll see if Marquette gets involved or not.  Wojo gets paid the big bucks to make these kind of decisions.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2019, 08:41:31 AM »
Would love some depth at the forward. Would like a better shooter than Omoruyi but he is at least a threat to score from outside. May not matter as the addition of Jayce makes me think we will be running a different offense next season.

Tevin Mack also grad transferring. Could be a nice piece in the wing rotation.

I'd actually prefer Mack to Omoruyi, better fit for what we need and while he was just okay at Alabama, he was pretty great at Texas. I seem to recall some off the court conduct issues with Mack at Texas so that would need to be evaluated. Would love if we kicked the tires on either of them.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2019, 08:47:39 AM »
Bullcrap.

To me, the guys on the team have to ask themselves, what's more important...winning or "me"?? IF it's winning(which it should be), then they should welcome any talent that will make them a better team...ESPECIALLY after losing two players as talented as Sam and Joey were.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2019, 08:51:45 AM »
Would love some depth at the forward. Would like a better shooter than Omoruyi but he is at least a threat to score from outside. May not matter as the addition of Jayce makes me think we will be running a different offense next season.

I'd actually prefer Mack to Omoruyi, better fit for what we need and while he was just okay at Alabama, he was pretty great at Texas. I seem to recall some off the court conduct issues with Mack at Texas so that would need to be evaluated. Would love if we kicked the tires on either of them.
Solid research report on Omoruyi .

https://www.app.com/story/sports/college/2019/05/29/rutgers-basketball-eugene-omoruyi/1268151001/
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2019, 09:07:59 AM »
Solid research report on Omoruyi.

https://www.app.com/story/sports/college/2019/05/29/rutgers-basketball-eugene-omoruyi/1268151001/

According to this article, Omoruyi has not graduated early and will have to sit out a year.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

tower912

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2019, 09:09:08 AM »
Another grad transfer wing doesn't bother me.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2019, 09:56:11 AM »
According to this article, Omoruyi has not graduated early and will have to sit out a year.

I’ve seen it reported the other way as well.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2019, 09:58:28 AM »
The other possibility with a grad transfer wing is that it could open up the opportunity for Jamal Cain to redshirt, which was at least rumored at some point. As it stands right now, he would certainly have to play, and likely significant minutes. Add someone like Mack & Jamal might be able to use the year to work on his strength & develop his outside shot, which could pay longer term dividends (as well as keep the Jamal/Greg comedy duo together another year, which is just as crucial...those guys are awesome together).
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.