Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Adios, Carolyn Kieger  (Read 23251 times)

drbob

• Scholarship Player
Re: Adios, Carolyn Kieger
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2019, 07:48:35 PM »
Thanks for the insight on Penn State’s past success,I obviously was not aware. I do wish her well, just sorry to see her leave.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2019, 08:03:23 PM »
The last Penn State coach was getting  $700k per year. No way, Marquette should match that.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2019, 02:18:18 AM »
In light of Muffett McGraws comments today, i really hope that the Marquette is committed to hiring another woman to replace Kieger. 

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2019, 07:36:26 AM »
In light of Muffett McGraws comments today, i really hope that the Marquette is committed to hiring another woman to replace Kieger.

Bullcrap move by Krieger in my opinion.  Fin nut up and build the program, discuss and be flexible with ur income, ur in the top 5% of all americans in earnings.  Give it more than 5 years.  Do u think Pat Summit, geno or muffett were making the biggest salaries in the game in year 5?  Or they built a brand?  Built a name?  And to do it at your alma mater?  What a legend and legacy that could have been built.  The job was only gonna get better and the goodwill and influence she would have continued to build at MU would have only benfitted her.  Personally i think its a short sighted BS move.  In my opinion not even close to worth a couple hundred thousand a year and i say that with the belief that she could have made it all on the back end at MU and been a almost lifetime contract.  Versus now stepping into the life of potentially a vagabond coaching career always 2-3 seasons away from being fired. 
I almost guarantee the kevin oneills, lon krugers, etc. or even a tom crean at this point look back and say boy the taking up roots in a comminity and being there for there career is worth all they made in extra cash compared to moving around once or twice a decade and being merely an afterthought by different fanbases and the profession.
Jmho and maybe the way im wired. Ive had two jobs and moved twice, have also had income increase or decrease by 6 figures in a year on a number of ovcassions
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 07:39:05 AM by Mr. Sand-Knit »
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

dgies9156

• All American
Re: Adios, Carolyn Kieger (?)
« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2019, 07:41:17 AM »
If my kid was stupid enough to complain about this to me, they would have gotten a smack upside the head and the comment, "you have an effing OMELET STATION in your dorm cafeteria and you are bitching? You should have seen the gruel we were forced to eat!"

You are a woman of true enlightenment. Must be that Nashville education!

I try to forget that gruel we had. My kids think it came with the 10 mile uphill walk in -30 weather that we endured going to class.

In Nashville! 😰

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Adios, Carolyn Kieger (?)
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2019, 07:46:44 AM »
You are a woman of true enlightenment. Must be that Nashville education!

I try to forget that gruel we had. My kids think it came with the 10 mile uphill walk in -30 weather that we endured going to class.

In Nashville! 😰

I do remember the time the cafeteria lady laughed at me because I thought the white lumpy stuff on the steam table was grits; it was Cream of Wheat.
Have some patience, FFS.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2019, 11:02:10 AM »

I was curious if her comments were unlawful...better said if she followed through with them would they be. Notre Dame is an equal opportunity employer and those comments, as well intentioned as they are, did not fit that scope.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2019, 11:04:01 AM »
Bullcrap move by Krieger in my opinion.  Fin nut up and build the program, discuss and be flexible with ur income, ur in the top 5% of all americans in earnings.  Give it more than 5 years.  Do u think Pat Summit, geno or muffett were making the biggest salaries in the game in year 5?  Or they built a brand?  Built a name?  And to do it at your alma mater?  What a legend and legacy that could have been built.  The job was only gonna get better and the goodwill and influence she would have continued to build at MU would have only benfitted her.  Personally i think its a short sighted BS move.  In my opinion not even close to worth a couple hundred thousand a year and i say that with the belief that she could have made it all on the back end at MU and been a almost lifetime contract.  Versus now stepping into the life of potentially a vagabond coaching career always 2-3 seasons away from being fired. 
I almost guarantee the kevin oneills, lon krugers, etc. or even a tom crean at this point look back and say boy the taking up roots in a comminity and being there for there career is worth all they made in extra cash compared to moving around once or twice a decade and being merely an afterthought by different fanbases and the profession.
Jmho and maybe the way im wired. Ive had two jobs and moved twice, have also had income increase or decrease by 6 figures in a year on a number of ovcassions

I like this post a great deal, maybe because I'm wired kind of the same way. With that said this discussion is a bit of semantics until we know the delta between her Marquette deal and her Penn State deal.

I haven't seen the PSU number but if a) it's much, much better than what MU offered -- including with favorable contract terms, earnout/buyout, broader investment in the program... and b) if MU took her for granted in any way because she was an alum.... you can kind of see both PSU's recruiting process and why Kieger took the deal.

Here's the other thing - if she fails and unless we stumble upon the next Pat Summitt, she's probably always welcome back here when the job opens up again.

So huge short term upside and long term downside protection... yeah, I get it.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2019, 12:17:22 PM »
Yeah, If someone offers to double my salary, I don't give a crap if I'm an alum. I think most people would do the same.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

djorling

• Walk-On
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2019, 12:26:59 PM »
I was hopeful that she would stay.  My thought was when Wojo left, Marquette could break new ground for a D-1 Catholic School and hire her to coach the men's team.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2019, 01:03:18 PM »
Yeah, If someone offers to double my salary, I don't give a crap if I'm an alum. I think most people would do the same.

I am asking because I do not know the answer. Do we have a rough idea what she was making at Marquette? What Penn St. offered? And what Marquette offered to keep her?

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2019, 01:05:47 PM »
I am asking because I do not know the answer. Do we have a rough idea what she was making at Marquette? What Penn St. offered? And what Marquette offered to keep her?
Penn State last coach was getting  $700k per year.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2019, 01:20:48 PM »
Penn State last coach was getting  $700k per year.

And what was she making at Marquette and what did Marquette offer her to stay?

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2019, 01:36:04 PM »
And what was she making at Marquette and what did Marquette offer her to stay?
I don't know. Many would guess she was around $350k at Marquette.
-Bill Walton

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2019, 03:57:34 PM »
I don't know. Many would guess she was around $350k at Marquette.

Her salary was under $320K.  Check out page 50 of Marquette's 990. They are required to list the top 5 highest-paid employees who aren't officers or "key employees".  She's not on the list, but someone making $320K is.

https://www.marquette.edu/financeoffice/documents/FY17Form990PUBLIC.pdf
Have some patience, FFS.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2019, 04:21:44 PM »
Her salary was under $320K.  Check out page 50 of Marquette's 990. They are required to list the top 5 highest-paid employees who aren't officers or "key employees".  She's not on the list, but someone making $320K is.

https://www.marquette.edu/financeoffice/documents/FY17Form990PUBLIC.pdf

Thank you. I am just curious about it.  Doug Bruno for example makes north of $500k but he has also been there 33 years. That would put him in the middle of the Big Ten salaries. I know Auriema is north of $2million and McGraw is mid to upper $1million.

Obviously womens hoops at Marquette is non revenue without a lot of support. Washington was one of the highest paid Big Ten coaches despite poor results.  Curious if Kieger would start in the bottom tier of $300k or middle $500k or upper handful of upper six figures.

I understand the situation completely. But I suppose I am not all that thrilled to see so much happy happy joy joy about it. Would hope Marquette at least tried to be competitive a little bit to keep her.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 06, 2019, 05:14:41 PM »
Think about it.

You have built a strong professional reputation.

Someone offers you very good working conditions, double your current salary and really strong opportunity.

What would you do?

I really like Coach. She’s personable, successful and built a great team. I’m sorry to see her go, but thank her for what she did and hope she is very successful at Penn State.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2019, 05:49:20 PM »
Think about it.

You have built a strong professional reputation.

Someone offers you very good working conditions, double your current salary and really strong opportunity.

What would you do?

I really like Coach. She’s personable, successful and built a great team. I’m sorry to see her go, but thank her for what she did and hope she is very successful at Penn State.

Well that is why I asked. Just because the previous coach there was making $700k doesn’t mean that is what they offered Kieger. Also I was interested in the raise amount Marquette offered to stay. 

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2019, 05:56:21 PM »
Part of my post was based on the two posts that said mitchell was at $500k n psu coach at $700k
thats not worth the change.  Continue ur success and keep posting top 15 teams n ur at 700 before long at ur alma mater imho.  Too each their own.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2019, 06:18:36 PM »
Her success already dictated a competitive raise.  She was going to be the Buzz Williams of the women’s team but better because she is an alum.  If Marquette did not offer a similar or better salary as Penn State they are short sighted and missed a huge opportunity to build a very successful women’s program for the next 20 years.  They have essentially relegated the program to a second, if not third tier program.   MU will regret this I’m the future.  Continued success would have brought a fan base that would have eventually started selling out the AL with bigger games at Fiserv.  What a shame.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2019, 06:23:04 PM »
Her success already dictated a competitive raise.  She was going to be the Buzz Williams of the women’s team but better because she is an alum.  If Marquette did not offer a similar or better salary as Penn State they are short sighted and missed a huge opportunity to build a very successful women’s program for the next 20 years.  They have essentially relegated the program to a second, if not third tier program.   MU will regret this I’m the future.  Continued success would have brought a fan base that would have eventually started selling out the AL with bigger games at Fiserv.  What a shame.

The team was top 15 most of this year and the attendance was not there at the AL.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

connie

• All American
« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2019, 06:52:22 PM »
Yeah, a few weeks ago I was watching the men play on four different networks at the same time.  The women had one game on espn3 followed by a "wraparound."  The team was great all year and barely drew a crowd at the Al.  No way they cover the light bill much less the rent at Fiserv.  Sorry, but they just don't draw. 
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2019, 07:23:15 PM »
Takes time to build a following.  ND was the the same pre McGraw and in her early years.  You need to win consistently to get a fan base to come out.   Watched several games on TV because I live in Indiana for the first time this year with my daughter.  She was interested because they were good.  They finish last place every year from now on shed rather watch the men.  A shame.  Not thinking long term or big time. 

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #98 on: April 06, 2019, 07:31:51 PM »
If this is a truck stop city, sure maybe the MU Women get big crowds.
-Bill Walton

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #99 on: April 06, 2019, 07:35:44 PM »
End of the day this is about huge television money which comes from TV.  The SEC, Big Ten and soon ACC with their television network, have loads of cash. They are starting to spend it on Olympic sports as well as Women's hoops.  MU should not be paying $700K for a women's basketball coach.  The pie is only so big, one sport drives the show for MU....simple as that.  If a wealthy donor wants to foot the bill, then hell yes.  But with department resources, it cannot happen.  That sounds rough, sounds terrible and mean, but those are the economics at MU.

feedback