Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Adios, Carolyn Kieger  (Read 23771 times)

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Adios, Carolyn Kieger
« on: April 03, 2019, 03:15:55 PM »
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 02:08:01 PM by NYWarrior »

MUfan12

• All American
Re: Adios, Carolyn Kieger (?)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 03:16:54 PM »
Bad, bad look for MU. Jeez.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 03:19:22 PM »
Unfortunately, the Big East is very much a mid-major conference in the women's game.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 03:21:07 PM by RJax55 »

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 03:19:46 PM »
Agreed. Wow, you make a great hire with a young alum from the program and can't keep her?? Yikes. Things that make you go, hmmmmm?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 03:21:09 PM »
Given what she built up and the athletes she is losing, this is gettin' out while the gettin's good.

Seems like a sound career move on her part, and I wish her well.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 03:21:25 PM »
damn but Rjax I think puts it best there's only one consistently top program in the BE till Kieger got us there and thats Depaul. Likely will run the conference now for quite some time
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 03:23:32 PM »
Agreed. Wow, you make a great hire with a young alum from the program and can't keep her?? Yikes. Things that make you go, hmmmmm?

Not really. The program is bound to take a step back in the next couple of years with the seniors who are leaving. The fact that someone is an alum is nice, but in the end many young coaches with aspirations to coach at the highest levels are going to make the same choice. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 03:28:01 PM »
Scott Merritt .. next MUWBB coach!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 03:29:09 PM »
Skeete or Merritt, your table is ready. I would go with Vernette.

This will be Scholl's first head coach hire in any sport as AD, I believe.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 03:29:28 PM »
Unfortunately, the Big East is very much a mid-major conference in the women's game.

I also look at the lack of fan support at MU - the attendance this year was very disappointing.

I could care less if the next coach has any prior ties to Marquette - I just want a good coach.

As others have said, this is a good time for Kieger to move on if she was going to.  I’m sad to see her go but wish her the best in the future.

Now to see what happens with their 8 frosh especially local highly rated recruit Shemera Williams.  When Kieger first got here, all 4 of Mitchell’s incoming recruits stayed but then 3 of the 4 left after their frosh year.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 03:31:03 PM »
Scott Merritt .. next MUWBB coach!

This post reminds me that Kieger was the only female coach in the Big East thie last couple seasons.

Former Marquette assistant Jennie Baranczyk has done a great job at Drake and I’d love for them to consider her.  But she’s coaching in her hometown now and May have no interest in leaving Drake.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 03:32:46 PM by Marquette Fan »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2019, 03:31:52 PM »
Bring on Thad Matta! (sorry, wrong thread).

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2019, 03:38:12 PM »
I also look at the lack of fan support at MU - the attendance this year was very disappointing.

I could care less if the next coach has any prior ties to Marquette - I just want a good coach.

As others have said, this is a good time for Kieger to move on if she was going to.  I’m sad to see her go but wish her the best in the future.

That certainly could have played a part. But, I think the conference issue is the big problem. It is so difficult for MU or DePaul to get a top 4 tourney seed (even with a gaudy conference record).

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2019, 03:53:27 PM »
What a gut punch.  Thought for sure Kieger was a lifer here, especially given her alumna status.

This should be pinned for everyone shouting for Warde to be next men's basketball coach.  When bigger schools offer bigger paychecks, coaches inevitably follow the money.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2019, 03:55:22 PM »

Now to see what happens with their 8 frosh especially local highly rated recruit Shemera Williams.  When Kieger first got here, all 4 of Mitchell’s incoming recruits stayed but then 3 of the 4 left after their frosh year.

My guess is she's getting a BIG raise.  Probably to mid six-figures.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2019, 03:57:03 PM »
What a gut punch.  Thought for sure Kieger was a lifer here, especially given her alumna status.

This should be pinned for everyone shouting for Warde to be next men's basketball coach.  When bigger schools offer bigger paychecks, coaches inevitably follow the money.

It's about PSU being a better job, not a bigger school.

Kieger is 35 & has a high ceiling as a coach. Go make it happen, coach!

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2019, 04:01:02 PM »
You've all raised very good points. Tough to begrudge her under the circumstances. Best of luck to her.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2019, 04:07:23 PM »
My guess is she's getting a BIG raise.  Probably to mid six-figures.

Terri was getting over $500k

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2019, 04:11:59 PM »
If true, it would imply that she felt she reached her ceiling here. I wonder if things would’ve been different if we had made a deep run. Might that have led her (and the and MU administration) to believe we could take a step to the next level?

In any event, I will wish her the best if the rumor is true.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2019, 04:12:03 PM »
That would be unfortunate. It was unusual to have such unbalanced recruiting classes.  But as others have mentioned there is a big drop off after Marquette and DePaul in the Big East.

Kieger would be replacing Coquese Washington, a former ND player, ND Law grad and long time assistant (on national title team) that made the NCAA’s 4 times in 12 seasons, including a couple of sweet 16’s but just one winning season in the last 5. 

Prior to that, Rene Portland was there 27 years.  She made 8 sweet 16’s, 2 elite 8’s and a Final Four.  She resigned because of her long time policy anti-gay/lesbian disciminatory policies. For many years prior to that people looked the other way.

Penn St. has some extremely successful women’s sports programs with recent national titles in womens soccer and womens volleyball. Lots of opportunity to build something big there.

Doug Bruno the highly respected DePaul women’s coach has made 4 sweet 16’s in 33 seasons building DePaul into a very respectable program. He’s been recruiting more in the Stl area lately, and throughout the Midwest.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2019, 04:33:52 PM »
Good luck to her.  Penn State has a real nice campus and a viral fanbase that follows all sports. 

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2019, 04:49:06 PM »
That would be unfortunate. It was unusual to have such unbalanced recruiting classes.  But as others have mentioned there is a big drop off after Marquette and DePaul in the Big East.

I was concerned about having 8 players in the 19-20 class just as she had 8 players in the senior class originally.  But I think the class will probably go down a bit now :(

I can't begrudge her at all for leaving though - the Big 10 is a much better conference for Women's Basketball than the Big East.  I wish her well but am worrying a lot about who they will get to replace her and the incoming recruits and possible transfers.

Marquette has nice things to say as Kieger leaves:
https://gomarquette.com/news/2019/4/3/womens-basketball-carolyn-kieger-departing-marquette-for-penn-state.aspx?path=wbball

Penn State announcement:
https://gopsusports.com/news/2019/4/3/kieger-named-penn-state-womens-basketball-head-coach.aspx

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2019, 06:25:09 PM »
This post reminds me that Kieger was the only female coach in the Big East thie last couple seasons.

Former Marquette assistant Jennie Baranczyk has done a great job at Drake and I’d love for them to consider her.  But she’s coaching in her hometown now and May have no interest in leaving Drake.

Arbys

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2019, 07:27:17 PM »
HiroSHEma
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2019, 07:42:20 PM »
#WojoToMUWBB
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

feedback