collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2019 thread  (Read 123975 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: MLB 2019 thread
« Reply #875 on: August 09, 2019, 08:23:34 AM »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #876 on: August 09, 2019, 08:40:12 AM »
Latest on attendance and movement to smaller ballparks.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2019/08/08/mlb-attendance-stadiums-future/1941614001/

That's a good read.
The new Yankee and Mets stadiums decreased capacity from their original location. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #877 on: August 09, 2019, 09:58:09 AM »
That's a good read.
The new Yankee and Mets stadiums decreased capacity from their original location.

Several years go the Indians reduced capacity by 5,000 seats.  The majority of they upper deck in right field was replaced with signs (retired numbers, banners, advertisements).  It "looked" like it was removable, so I figured they'd re-open those seats if they needed them, but they weren't opened for the WS or the AS Game.  I honestly don't know if there are still seats under there. Here are images showing the difference:

Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #878 on: August 09, 2019, 10:16:20 PM »
77 games ... 39-for-239 (.163 average) ... .495 OPS ... 4 HR ... 19 RBI ... 98 K.

Tim Tebow is arguably the worst hitter in all of organized baseball, and definitely in the top two levels of the game.

I knew he was having a bad year, but a friend showed me those stats, and ... Yikes!

But hey, I'm sure he's still selling a few jerseys, so that's cool.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #879 on: August 09, 2019, 10:40:46 PM »
77 games ... 39-for-239 (.163 average) ... .495 OPS ... 4 HR ... 19 RBI ... 98 K.

Tim Tebow is arguably the worst hitter in all of organized baseball, and definitely in the top two levels of the game.

I knew he was having a bad year, but a friend showed me those stats, and ... Yikes!

Can the NBA be far behind? A poor man's Derrick Wilson?

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #880 on: August 10, 2019, 08:26:23 AM »

I’d take him over Travis Shaw this year

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #881 on: August 10, 2019, 10:31:06 AM »

While everyone on a minor league roster has dreams of making the big leagues, the parent clubs know that most of the guys there are just practice fodder for the few who are actually good enough to get a shot at the highest level.  Using up a roster spot and playing time on a scrub like Tebow is nothing to the Mets if there’s a chance it might put more butts in the seats and make everyone a little more money.

I’m not defending his being there, but I understand why he is (and not saying you don’t).  Hell, I’d go see him if I had the chance, just to say I did it.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 10:33:19 AM by Research Report »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #882 on: August 10, 2019, 10:43:51 AM »
I’d take him over Travis Shaw this year

Was thinking the same thing.  What the hell happened there?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #883 on: August 10, 2019, 11:08:39 AM »

I won the bet for how soon the atheist would target the Christian ball player.

Arguably the Worst in all of organized baseball...Mike is lying again...there’s a shock.  Google can be your friend and a simple search of minor league baseball stats show’s how ridiculous your claims are. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #884 on: August 10, 2019, 12:19:31 PM »
Sooooo, changing the subject.

Nobody, but nobody calls a walk off better than Uke.  Someday we'll lose him.  And life will be a little more drab.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #885 on: August 10, 2019, 12:40:33 PM »
I won the bet for how soon the atheist would target the Christian ball player.

Arguably the Worst in all of organized baseball...Mike is lying again...there’s a shock.  Google can be your friend and a simple search of minor league baseball stats show’s how ridiculous your claims are.

His religion has nothing to do with it, snowflake. Tebow is one of the most over-hyped athletes (as a pro) of an entire generation, and his baseball statistics are eye-poppingly bad.

He was a hell of a college football player, great leader at the college level, fine color commentator. He was a terrible NFL quarterback, and he is an even worse hitter. Was I guilty of hyperbole? Perhaps ... but if so I wasn't off by much. I'd be curious to see the names of 3 everyday ballplayers with worse all-around stats this season.

You accused me of "mocking Christians" in another thread, which was a lie. A few Christians here, most notably you, do take cheap shots at the atheist Scoopers constantly, though. There is even one yahoo who constantly wishes them Merry Xmas, believe it or not! But we're not snowflakes, so we don't call y'all out every time -- although we do occasionally point out that we have facts, truth and science on our side.

Have a nice weekend.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #886 on: August 10, 2019, 12:56:14 PM »
Christians who mock atheists should probably read the Bible more.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #887 on: August 10, 2019, 12:57:04 PM »

Nobody, but nobody calls a walk off better than Uke.  Someday we'll lose him.  And life will be a little more drab.

Hoping they can get a little hot like this time last year. If my memory serves me right, the bullpen wasn’t really imposing until late in the year last year. Winning ugly is still winning.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #888 on: August 10, 2019, 01:28:33 PM »
Hoping they can get a little hot like this time last year. If my memory serves me right, the bullpen wasn’t really imposing until late in the year last year. Winning ugly is still winning.

There's definitely still time for the Brewers.

So far this season, it seems, whichever team has a good week can surge into first place, at least temporarily.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #889 on: August 10, 2019, 04:03:52 PM »
His religion has nothing to do with it, snowflake. Tebow is one of the most over-hyped athletes (as a pro) of an entire generation, and his baseball statistics are eye-poppingly bad.

He was a hell of a college football player, great leader at the college level, fine color commentator. He was a terrible NFL quarterback, and he is an even worse hitter. Was I guilty of hyperbole? Perhaps ... but if so I wasn't off by much. I'd be curious to see the names of 3 everyday ballplayers with worse all-around stats this season.

You accused me of "mocking Christians" in another thread, which was a lie. A few Christians here, most notably you, do take cheap shots at the atheist Scoopers constantly, though. There is even one yahoo who constantly wishes them Merry Xmas, believe it or not! But we're not snowflakes, so we don't call y'all out every time -- although we do occasionally point out that we have facts, truth and science on our side.

Have a nice weekend.

Based on your numerous anti Tebow screeds over the years, something about him certainly grabs your short hairs.  When he does well it is crickets from you, when he doesn’t you sure cannot wait to blast him.  Lots of athletes don’t perform well, but he gets special treatment from you....weird...interesting.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #890 on: August 10, 2019, 04:18:35 PM »

That would be great and everything and I hope they win the WS but this year feels like Swiss cheese to me.  I mean cripes, they had to send Shaw back to the minors again because he's been so crappy.  The dude is literally going to be fighting for a job in Phoenix next winter.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #891 on: August 10, 2019, 04:23:51 PM »
here we go again

MU82

• All American
« Reply #892 on: August 10, 2019, 05:51:17 PM »
While everyone on a minor league roster has dreams of making the big leagues, the parent clubs know that most of the guys there are just practice fodder for the few who are actually good enough to get a shot at the highest level.  Using up a roster spot and playing time on a scrub like Tebow is nothing to the Mets if there’s a chance it might put more butts in the seats and make everyone a little more money.

I’m not defending his being there, but I understand why he is (and not saying you don’t).  Hell, I’d go see him if I had the chance, just to say I did it.

I will ignore the political troll, and rather will bring this back to baseball by acknowledging the several good points you make here, RR.

"Using up a roster spot and playing time on a scrub like Tebow is nothing to the Mets if there’s a chance it might put more butts in the seats and make everyone a little more money."

That especially was a great point, and it's hard to blame the Mets for using him like that. And I guess Tebow gets to use the Mets, too. And plenty of folks seem to want to see him play, even though he is very, very bad at baseball -- similar to when Jordan played AA ball. So it's a win-win-win.

Do you think he'd want to play at this level again next year, RR? If so, do you think the Mets (or some other franchise) would want to use him that way again? He obviously is not a prospect -- by now, even he must realize it, because he is a smart guy -- but he is an "attraction."

He is an outstanding college football announcer, so part of me wishes he would do what he is so good at, but I suppose that job will always be available to him.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #893 on: August 10, 2019, 06:50:23 PM »
 in before the lock :-X
don't...don't don't don't don't

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #894 on: August 10, 2019, 08:20:47 PM »
Tebow seems like a good dude. He is taking advantage of the opportunities presented to him. Can’t blame him for that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #895 on: August 10, 2019, 10:16:25 PM »
Tebow seems like a good dude. He is taking advantage of the opportunities presented to him. Can’t blame him for that.

Agree 100%. He's just not good at baseball.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #896 on: August 10, 2019, 10:53:51 PM »
Jordan Alvarez came up to the Astros in June. He gave the other AL ROY candidates a two month head start but in just 45 games...All of his numbers already surpass theirs.

How good were his first 45 games? Best in MLB history...passing some 1941 rookie named Ted Williams (whose full 1941 rookie season concluded with a .406 BA ...best in last 78 years)

Jordan after 45 games ...51 RBIs...better than the prior bests of:....Teddy (47) Joe Dimaggio (46) and Albert Pujols (46)

Since June 9 call up to Aug 10....Jordans first 62 days in MLB has produced:

GP   AB   R   H   2B   3B   HR   RBI   BB   AVG   OBP   SLG   OPS

45   167   30   59   14   0   17   51   23   .353   .432   .743   1.175

Please watch this kid hit...its special...

.I have been watching the game since the 60s. I can remember when Tony Oliva was having a huge 1964 rookie year... and Ray Scott (WCCO radio) comparing his numbers as second best to 1941 Ted W. 

Many more of us remember rookie Albert Pujols taking the league by storm.

On an Astros team already overloaded this kid actually stands out. He is cant miss TV. This is something special

Why not table the Tebow and all other digressions, prevent a lock risk and PLEASE

....Share your memory of great players you personally  saw in minors or at their MLB beginning...

Besides the above...here is one of mine...

Early 70s ....Still cold in the early season bleachers at CS...Announcer intro'd a lanky blond SS in his first MLB game (after only 50-60 games in the minors, total)....my friend says...watch this kid ..."he is going to be special"....yes ....Robin Yount  .....ended up being pretty good.

Who do remember at their first starts?

« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 11:06:24 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #897 on: August 10, 2019, 11:04:36 PM »

+ 5 million.  Bob is the best going right now.  He's one of a kind.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #898 on: August 10, 2019, 11:05:26 PM »
Jordan Alvarez came up to the Astros in June. He gave the other AL ROY candidates a two month head start but in just 45 games...All of his numbers already surpass theirs.

How good were his first 45 games? Best in MLB history...passing some 1941 rookie named Ted Williams (whose full 1941 rookie season concluded with a .406 BA ...best in last 78 years)

Jordan after 45 games ...51 RBIs...better than the prior bests of:....Teddy (47) Joe Dimaggio (46) and Albert Pujols (46)

Since June 9 call up to Aug 10....Jordans first 62 days in MLB has produced:

GP   AB   R   H   2B   3B   HR   RBI   BB   AVG   OBP   SLG   OPS

45   167   30   59   14   0   17   51   23   .353   .432   .743   1.175

Please watch this kid hit...its special...

.I have been watching the game since the 60s. I can remember when Tony Oliva was having a huge rookie year... and Ray Scott (WCCO radio) comparing his numbers as second best to 1941 Ted W. 

Many more of us remember rookie Albert Pujols taking the league by storm.

On an Astros team already overloaded this kid actually stands out. He is cant miss TV.

Why not table the Tebow and all other digressions, prevent a lock risk and PLEASE

....Share your memory of great players you personally  saw in minors or at their MLB beginning...

Besides the above...here is one of mine...

Early 70s ....Still cold in the early season bleachers at CS...Announcer intro'd a lanky blond SS in his first MLB game (after only 50-60 games in the minors, total)....my friend says...watch this kid ..."he is going to be special"....yes ....Robin Yount  .....ended up being pretty good.

Who do remember at their first starts?

You spelled his name wrong every time.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #899 on: August 10, 2019, 11:18:54 PM »
You spelled his name wrong every time.

Yordan is earning local nicknames quickly....the most common has been "Air Yordan".
that must be stuck in my head and ...hence the reference

I am very sorry for my mistake

Tonite his nickname was given a new twist by reversing letters; they're callin him:

ROYdan as in Rookie of the Year
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 11:23:26 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.