collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2019 thread  (Read 124002 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: MLB 2019 thread
« Reply #600 on: June 25, 2019, 09:04:47 PM »
Hearing Anderson’s injury is a torn Achilles.

And I got bad info, as apparently it’s a high ankle sprain.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 09:20:35 PM by MUDish »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #601 on: June 25, 2019, 10:33:05 PM »
As a Cardinal fan, my only thought is, "who knows." Had he stayed within the Cardinal system and not had to learn a whole new league full of pitchers, maybe his production would have remained strong for several more years.

The Cardinals were about $50 million less than the Anaheim Angels. When it became apparent the Cardinals were not going to match Moneybags Moreno, Mr. Pujols' wife felt Mr. Pujols was disrespected. That comment set a lot of Cardinal fans off.

Sad thing is that Pujols is a nobody in Anaheim, or neighboring Los Angeles. Had he stayed in St. Louis, he would have sat beside Stan Musial as the greatest Cardinal ever. Being as that St. Louis is a baseball town, he would be revered for all time. Like Ozzie, Brock, Gibson, Musial, Slaughter, Dean, Hornsby, Schoendiest.

Albert, thanks for the memories!

Somebody thought it was a huge deal, so classy when Cardinal fans gave all time great Albert a standing O. Tonight they gave one to Stephen Piscotty - that's right, Stephen f'in Piscotty. When Toronto comes in I wonder what they'll do for Randall Grichuk. Must be an awesome place to play.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #602 on: June 26, 2019, 02:50:59 PM »
Somebody thought it was a huge deal, so classy when Cardinal fans gave all time great Albert a standing O. Tonight they gave one to Stephen Piscotty - that's right, Stephen f'in Piscotty. When Toronto comes in I wonder what they'll do for Randall Grichuk. Must be an awesome place to play.

The Piscotty thing is real cool all around.  He got dealt primarily so he could be closer to his mother as she battled ALS, so its great that everyone has retained such goodwill through the whole thing - especially since Piscotty had some real on-field struggles as he juggled dealing with his mom's condition.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #603 on: June 26, 2019, 06:55:24 PM »

My guess is that you didn't know the story referred to in the post above?  I love that they gave Piscotty the standing O, and Pujols. 

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #604 on: June 26, 2019, 07:29:42 PM »
Someone take this Brewers team out back and shoot it.

They are like 3 or 4 capable starting pitchers away.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #605 on: June 26, 2019, 08:06:52 PM »
Someone take this Brewers team out back and shoot it.

They are like 3 or 4 capable starting pitchers away.

They've needed starting pitching for 2 years, and have stubbornly refused to address it. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #606 on: June 26, 2019, 08:10:25 PM »
The Piscotty thing is real cool all around.  He got dealt primarily so he could be closer to his mother as she battled ALS, so its great that everyone has retained such goodwill through the whole thing - especially since Piscotty had some real on-field struggles as he juggled dealing with his mom's condition.

Had no idea - apologies and kudos to Redbird fans everywhere!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #607 on: June 26, 2019, 08:18:10 PM »
They've needed starting pitching for 2 years, and have stubbornly refused to address it.

Starting pitching was not an issue at all last year.  No idea why the let Miley walk this offseason and probably should've simply resigned Gonzalez from the start as well.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #608 on: June 26, 2019, 10:21:16 PM »

ALS is the reason!!!
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #609 on: June 27, 2019, 12:28:42 AM »
The recent incident at Minute Maid when a foul ball during a Cubs game here struck a two year old girl sitting in her grandparents lap will be very costly for those liable.

The family has retained Richard Mithoff a well respected and very professional PI atty (he is one of three I would refer a case like this to...a fine atty) , who has noted:

..."Mithoff said the child suffered subdural bleeding, edema and brain contusions from the impact of the Almora foul ball.

"She is doing relatively well, but she has had seizure and the abnormal EEG, and so it's going to be a matter of time" Mithoff said. "It's too early to tell what kind of residual (damage) there may be, but any time there is a fractured skull and bleeding of the brain involved, it's a serious matter...."

Here is the Chron story link:
https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/Astros-Cubs-foul-ball-hit-child-update-attorney-14052465.php
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 12:31:22 AM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #610 on: June 27, 2019, 12:43:00 AM »
Starting pitching was not an issue at all last year.  No idea why the let Miley walk this offseason and probably should've simply resigned Gonzalez from the start as well.

The were in the lower third in quality starts last year. The bullpen covered a lot of problems.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #611 on: June 27, 2019, 06:28:36 AM »
The were in the lower third in quality starts last year. The bullpen covered a lot of problems.

Given that Counsell’s philosophy was to very rarely let any of his pitchers go through the batting order a third time of course the quality starts were low as they weren’t given the opportunity to make it through the sixth inning. In my opinion quality starts is a dumb stat. I’d rather have my starter go 5 and give up 1 run (1.80 ERA) than go 6 and give up 3 runs (4.50 ERA). But the starters were very good for what they needed last year. This year the Brewers have 2 MLB level pitchers on their entire staff (including the pen).
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 06:30:30 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #612 on: June 27, 2019, 06:42:21 AM »
The recent incident at Minute Maid when a foul ball during a Cubs game here struck a two year old girl sitting in her grandparents lap will be very costly for those liable.

The family has retained Richard Mithoff a well respected and very professional PI atty (he is one of three I would refer a case like this to...a fine atty) , who has noted:

..."Mithoff said the child suffered subdural bleeding, edema and brain contusions from the impact of the Almora foul ball.

"She is doing relatively well, but she has had seizure and the abnormal EEG, and so it's going to be a matter of time" Mithoff said. "It's too early to tell what kind of residual (damage) there may be, but any time there is a fractured skull and bleeding of the brain involved, it's a serious matter...."

Here is the Chron story link:
https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/Astros-Cubs-foul-ball-hit-child-update-attorney-14052465.php

Several teams already have voluntarily extended the netting to the foul pole since this incident.

It's a no-brainer move, relatively cheap insurance. And it might save a life or two.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #613 on: June 27, 2019, 06:44:49 AM »
Of course, last night the Brewers problem wasn't pitching but offense.  I don't think over ever seen a team hit so many solo home runs.

They need to either play Shaw and Aguilar to get them out of their slumps, or they need to bring up Hiura.  Last night's lineup had Perez, Pina, Gamel, and Arcia...a real murderers row.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #614 on: June 27, 2019, 08:03:49 AM »
ALS is the reason!!!

Acknowledged and apologized for hours before your post.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #615 on: June 27, 2019, 09:32:11 AM »
Well, my Yankees just keep winning and winning.
Off to London.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #616 on: June 27, 2019, 12:32:51 PM »
Acknowledged and apologized for hours before your post.

Saw that later, thank you. Right thing to do.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #617 on: June 27, 2019, 08:36:20 PM »
Huira and Saladino coming up, Shaw and Perez headed down. Brewers playing bad lately, need a spark and Shaw isn’t getting it done.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #618 on: June 27, 2019, 08:47:25 PM »
Cookie Monster singing the stretch at Wrigley was awesome.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #619 on: June 27, 2019, 09:03:55 PM »

C is for cubbies

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #620 on: June 27, 2019, 09:33:33 PM »

That’s cool. They catered to their type of fan.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #621 on: June 27, 2019, 10:00:31 PM »
That’s cool. They catered to their type of fan.

Do you hate the cookie monster sir?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #622 on: June 28, 2019, 10:04:19 AM »

Of course not, my good man. He does a great job of keeping cubbie fans entertained when they’re not at Wrigley. He also teaches them many important things.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #623 on: June 29, 2019, 09:48:52 AM »

Shoutout to CM sticking to the bit and using improper grammar for the song.

“Me not care if me ever get back.”

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #624 on: June 29, 2019, 04:33:05 PM »

He's a juicer, hey?

feedback